Vaya BB flex- Mtbr.com

Thread: Vaya BB flex

Human Test Subject

Vaya BB flex

Is anyone else with a higher mileage Vaya experiencing extreme flexing in the bottom bracket area? I have marks on both sides of my chainstays from my crank arms hitting them (Ultegra cranks).

It's a 2014 frame with 7500ish miles. It's only gotten worse with time and I ovalized some of the internal bearings on my old Chris King hub and damaged my new White Industries. The damage causes the hub to wobble a tiny bit, but it's amplified by the time it reaches the rim. Then it feels like I am riding on a flat. The White has been rebuilt with a new axle, so hopefully that helps.

I have drive side crank arm marks on my SS El Mariachi (White Industries square taper cranks) and on my carbon fat bike (RF Next cranks), so I'm used to some flex, but neither of those bikes have hub issues. (Paul on the El Mar, Onyx on the fat bike)
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have 2011 steel Vaya, and last fall I found a deal that I couldn't pass up on a Vaya Ti. the most dramatic difference is the stiffness in the bottom bracket area. The Ti bike is much stiffer. I thought the sluggishness I felt on the steel bike was due to the weight, but now I feel it is from the flexing. I've upgraded a lot of the parts on the steel bike and there's not much difference in weight between the two.

All that being said, I haven't noticed it to be as dramatic as what you're experiencing, and I haven't had any damage that I'm aware of.

CS2
    mtbr member
    @volsung are you a big or powerful guy?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Human Test Subject
    Moderately? I'm 6'1" and usually around 190. I stopped lifting legs at the gym because of my bad knees so I'm kind of lopsided. One issue is I start out from stops and stoplights with my stronger left leg so my power output is uneven.

I think when you combine the longer stays, small axles, big tires, and frame flex it's just a recipe for disaster. Ive been looking at other frames to see if I can find one that matches the Vaya's comfort but is beefier. Basically the Ti version like 2whl-hoop mentioned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Moderately? I'm 6'1" and usually around 190. I stopped lifting legs at the gym because of my bad knees so I'm kind of lopsided. One issue is I start out from stops and stoplights with my stronger left leg so my power output is uneven.

I think when you combine the longer stays, small axles, big tires, and frame flex it's just a recipe for disaster. Ive been looking at other frames to see if I can find one that matches the Vaya's comfort but is beefier. Basically the Ti version like 2whl-hoop mentioned.
    Niner RLT 9 or Lynskey GR-250???

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ive been looking at other frames to see if I can find one that matches the Vaya's comfort but is beefier. Basically the Ti version like 2whl-hoop mentioned.
    I was kind of in the same boat. I love the Vaya and the geometry just works for me, comfort wise, but I sometimes wished it was "sportier". I really lucked out, wandering in to the LBS and finding an ex-Salsa demo sitting on the floor, almost half the price of new. It's the bike I had been looking for...

Human Test Subject
    @Ed- The review on Ridinggravel.com about the GR-250 made it sound like it wasn't very responsive. I'll ad the RLT to my list though.

I'm working on a geometry spreadsheet to compare bikes. Right now the Fyxation Crusher seems the most similar, but aluminum dropouts don't last very long in Minnesota. If I do get another bike (40 miles on the rebuilt hub and it's holding) I'll probably get an Otso Warakin.

Edit- on-one's Bish Bash Bosh frame is the same as the Fyxation crusher but $650 instead of 1k and the paint isn't as dumb. So it's at the top of my sidegrade list.
    Last edited by Volsung; 05-10-2017 at 08:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the info, the GR-250 just moved down my list, actually I'm pretty smitten with the RLT 9 and even like the RDO model. Keep us informed with what you end up doing.

Human Test Subject
    I reluctantly ordered an Otso Warakin. It was hard to pay 2k for a frameset with an ugly fork, but it should/better last me a long time.

I'm attempting to sell my older blue frame with full matching navy Chris King on my local Facebook group to help offset the cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I reluctantly ordered an Otso Warakin. It was hard to pay 2k for a frameset with an ugly fork, but it should/better last me a long time.

I'm attempting to sell my older blue frame with full matching navy Chris King on my local Facebook group to help offset the cost.
    How are you liking your Warakin?