Used 2012 Horsethief for my first disc/full suspension bike. Buy or pass?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Used 2012 Horsethief for my first disc/full suspension bike. Buy or pass?

I've been riding my TI 26" hardtail with V-brakes for a couple seasons now in CO. It's about as high end as that era of bikes can go: XT/XTR build, Reba Team fork, Ti frame. But after a short jaunt on my friends Yeti I have an itch for a bit more suspension and 29" wheels.

For reference I'm 6'2" with slightly longer legs than torso. I tend towards more XC type-riding with the standard long CO rocky descents. My whole body hurt after doing Monarch Pass on the TI stead and am looking for something that will take a bit less out of me.

Thoughts on picking up the following bike appreciated. Particular pain points with this model (brakes?)? Sizing advice?

$1100.
    - XL 2012 Salsa Horsethief
    - Stock build (2012 Horsethief | Bikes | Salsa Cycles) except the following which all have 1/2 a season on them:
    - Chris King bottom bracket
    - New Chain
    - GEAX Saguaro tires

Suspension has not been serviced since new. Claims that shop suggested no service when bb/chain were installed. No mileage estimate yet.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Bicyce blue book value: 2012 Salsa Horsethief - New and Used Bike Value

has the value of this bike at:

BicycleBlueBook.com Value?)
    $1286 - $1323 (Like-New)
    $1228 - $1264 (Excellent)
    $1124 - $1159 (Good)
    $761 - $784 (Fair)

So the value posted is good.

I just recently upgraded from a v-brake short travel bike to a 650b disc equipped hardtail and the bike rides so nice compared to my old bike.

Being that you are tall, I would suggest a 29er being your next bike. The spearfish is a great bike, I demo'd one and it rides nice. The rear suspension works nicely. I think you would be happy with it.

As for the size, check the salsa website, I think they have a size chart for their bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That's a fair price for both parties. I have a '12 in a large. I am 5'11" almost 6' after stretching in the morning. I fall on the short side according to Salsa's height range for the large 5'11"-6'3". I wish I would have gone with a medium and been on the tall side of the height range for standover. I have shorter legs and longer torso.

As for the stock build, I ran the avids until they crapped out. After switching to some Zees, I wish I would have made that upgrade first thing. The rest of the stock parts are fine and can be upgraded as they wear out. A shorter stem and some riser bars were the only items I upgraded until the brakes.

The large only comes with one bottle mount on the underside of the downtube, pretty much useless IMO. A custom frame bag makes for some nice storage on the bike.

Besides wanting a medium frame, the Horsethief is a great Colorado bike. Easy spinning uphill or stand and mash, and the downs are awesome! The Silver Creek downhill off of Monarch was one of the best rides I have had on the 'thief. Faster than I was really comfortable with due to the weak Avids, but the bike handled it no problem. Hoping to get that again this summer.
    Huh? What?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Unfortunately I had to work late last night, had a ride scheduled for after work today but he sold it this morning. Ce la Craigslist.

I'll keep on hunting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Good luck hunting. They show up on CL quite often, just not for $1100. Universal still has some large frames last time I checked.
    Huh? What?