Titanium Breakages?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Titanium Breakages?

Hello again Salsa Fans. I was at my local trail centre yesterday with my fabulous El Mar Ti. I was all happy and about to set out on The South Downs Way when someone commented: -
    ďArenít you worried about owning a titanium frame Ė what with all the stories about them breaking?Ē
    I was a bit surprised as Iíd always thought ti frames were super strong Ďbikes for life.í I consulted the oracle (my anorak biking buddy Mr. Jeff) and he reckons the El Mar is really well built with large weld areas on the dropouts, and other strength enhancing features. He reckons it looks like itíll survive a nuclear bomb. I was wondering if anyone had ever broken an El Mar Ti? (btw. mineís a 2011 with standard 1.125 inch head tube). Mr Jeff reckons the stories of breakages are probably confined to other designs. What have you guys heard on the subject?

Oh - for the record: my South Downs ride was a superb. The El Mar is clearly ideal for the SDW and similar trails - it just seems to romp over the ground with ease and comfort - what a great bike!

Timmy

Harmonius Wrench
    Titanium frames, (along with frames made from any other material), have been "known to break", but while that is true, there is always more to the story.

Titanium frames, if not designed well and/or not welded correctly with care in a clean environment, can have a much higher possibility of breakage. There are examples of this with notable examples being early Teledyne road frames and some titanium frames and components made by some Chinese firms.

The El Mariachi was made by Lynskey Performance in Tennessee which has a pretty great record of making frames without failures. I wouldn't worry about the integrity of your El Mar titanium bike.

But that doesn't mean you couldn't break it.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thankyou Ted....and I'd guess that of the ti frames Lynskey build, the Salsa El Mar design looks as if it can take more punishment than most.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Last edited by Durt McGurt; 05-20-2012 at 08:12 PM.

mtbr member
    That clover stamp in the dropout was a brilliant idea eh?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    That clover stamp in the dropout was a brilliant idea eh?

Yeah, that lasted a year, maybe two, as I recall. They quit doing that pretty fast.

Like I said, Durt- just cause it is titanium, don't mean it won't break. And there is always more to the story, (which is especially true with pictures )
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Lynskeys had a habits going across the seat tube like that, but all the Salsa frames have an aluminium insert that reduces the likelihood. I think Lynskeybuse the insert on all their frames now. Any Ti frame can go at a weld - contamination. Thankfully Salsa offer a lifetime warranty so no worries if it cracks. Interesting discussion on Singletrackworld.com about Litespeed's 'lifetime' warranty though - refusing to honour it over about 5 years... Hopefully with Salsa lifetime has a more obvious meaning!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ...And that ride feel is sublime!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    All frames can -- and sometimes do -- break. Before buying my El Mar Ti, I probably crossed 6 or 7 bikes off of my list because of reading stories here about broken frames (and none of those were Ti). No problems so far with the El Mar. Of course, I am an old dude who doesn't go off of jumps or anything . . . .

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You and me both (oldiies who don't do jumps). I still haven't hard of anyone breaking an EL Mar Ti yet.

mtbr member

Here ya go....

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    You and me both (oldiies who don't do jumps). I still haven't hard of anyone breaking an EL Mar Ti yet.
    Just was doing a little pre ride maintenance and noticed this.... Purchased May 15th and has about 100 miles on it... Really bummed me out... I'll be at my LBS tomorrow am..

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Goodness me - is that a 2012 El Mar Ti? You've hardly had a chance to swing a leg over it! Best of luck with the warrantly - let us know how you get on.
    Tim

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    Just was doing a little pre ride maintenance and noticed this....
    Does the crank line up with the bottom of the seatpost?
    M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Goodness me - is that a 2012 El Mar Ti? You've hardly had a chance to swing a leg over it! Best of luck with the warrantly - let us know how you get on.
    Tim
    Yep, a 2012... I am pretty bummed and can't wait to get to my LBS tomorrow first thing.. Owner is a good friend of mine so I'll no doubt be taken care of.. I'm just now not sure what to go with.. Another el Mar Ti? Or go to a dually that will accept a little more stress??

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    Does the crank line up with the bottom of the seatpost?
    Good thought.. That was the first thing I checked / measured trying to make some sense of it.. But I went with the 410mm Thomson post simply for extra strength and depth Into the frame.. So the more I thought about it the more I think hat he seat post (running long) is the only thing that held the frame together and saved me from a complete failure..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That looks like it has cracked across the bottom of the aluminium sleeve...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Any idea where Salsa's Ti tubing comes from? Does Lynsky use the same tubing on the Salsa frames as it uses on its own Lynsky frames? I know QBP is massive and will be around to stand behind warranty claims, but would rather avoid a claim in the first place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    Any idea where Salsa's Ti tubing comes from? Does Lynsky use the same tubing on the Salsa frames as it uses on its own Lynsky frames? I know QBP is massive and will be around to stand behind warranty claims, but would rather avoid a claim in the first place.
    I believe the tubing is Asian but hand welded at Lynskey for Salsa... and QBP is 100% being a stand up company in this matter as I am no way going to wait 2 months for a repair.. I don't want to get into specifics as everything is not finalized yet but I'm going to be going the FS route.. I started a new thread in relation to it as I need a little direction..

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Diesel 8810 - just came across your post regarding the seat tube crack. I just noticed my cracked in a similar fashion today, 2012 version and I had a friend just send his off for the same crack. How did salsa handle your frame, repair or replace? I am headed to the shop tomorrow. Hope all is well.
    Thanks Dave

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel8810 View Post
    Crazy, I always hear about bad welds, but never the actual tubing letting go. I wonder their Ti source. Welding looks solid, metal suspect.

mtbr member
    Another cracked Lynskey frame? And to think folk were worried about production of the 2013 model moving out to Asia.

my body breaks the falls
    Hate to dig up an old thread, but my beloved El mar Ti bit the dust the other day. It always had a slight tick from the seat tube area which I attributed to the carbon post. I washed it and spotted the crack. It is definitely new as I'd have seen it if it was there before. Gonna see if a friend can fix it up for me since I'm the second owner.

Titanium Breakages?-img_2768.jpg

I can't feel or see the crack on the inside. I've read about an aluminum sleeve, so maybe that's why. Bummer, eh?
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

my body breaks the falls
    All fixed up again...

Titanium Breakages?-img_0566.jpg
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Members who have read this thread: 1