Results 1,501 to 1,547 of 1547
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
    Which Pike is this?
    120mm travel,don't remember what particular model

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm working on converting my nx1 29er over to boost spacing for wider rims and tires. Anyone know what the correct part numbers are for the alternator dropouts and what the correct deadbolt axel would be? It would also be nice to know where to find them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mlindberg View Post
    I'm working on converting my nx1 29er over to boost spacing for wider rims and tires. Anyone know what the correct part numbers are for the alternator dropouts and what the correct deadbolt axel would be? It would also be nice to know where to find them.
    Based on reading the last 15 pages...contact your local bike shop. They may be able to get them. Otherwise you can look it up on salsa's website.
    https://salsacycles.com/components/c...nator_dropouts

mtbr member
    I guess the plates should be the same Boost or not, and you just need a 6mm longer axle than the El Mariachi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    switched to the 27.5+ wheel set and firestarter fork...

Timberjack Thread-img_20181021_091824039.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My SLX came with the boost wheels so cannot confirm directly, but I believe you just take out the boost reduction plates and get a longer axle? https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=87956
    EDIT: Disregard my response. InertiaMan has the right info below.
    Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gurpil23; 10-22-2018 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by theandrewjoe View Post
    Based on reading the last 15 pages...contact your local bike shop. They may be able to get them. Otherwise you can look it up on salsa's website.
    https://salsacycles.com/components/c...nator_dropouts
    Thanks for the help. Sorry if this was redundant. I tried the search but didn't have much luck. It's good to know that bike shops that aren't Salsa dealers can get these parts since the closest dealers to me are 45 minutes to an hour away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    First you need to clarify what bike you've got.
    a) 2017 NX1 29 shipped with Boost reduction plates, QR style alternator dropouts, and a standard 135mm quick release rear hub.
    b) 2018 NX1 29 shipped with the same QR style dropouts, but no Boost reduction plates, and a 141mm QR rear wheel.
    c) current NX Eagle 29 ships as a boost 148mm thru-axle setup.

In case (a) you'll need new Alternator dropout plates (one left, one right, for thru-axles) and a matching axle, in addition to removing the boost reduction plates.

You can search online bike shops like Universal for p/n FS2360 to see what the boost reduction kit looks like. Basically its a 3mm spacer plate for each side, which sits between the frame and the dropout. Note that the kit includes longer bolts . . . which implies that you'll need shorter bolts if you're going the opposite direction. That might be a cosmetic issue you can ignore and just leave the bolts passing through the dropouts into the wheel area *if* none of them impeded into the chain movement around the smallest cog. I don't have my TJ here to check that.

In case (b), you'll need only the new thru-axle dropouts and thru-axle, but you won't need to deal with the reducer plates.

in case (c), you don't need to do anything.

To get familiar w the Salsa Alternator hardware, go to Universal Cycles and search on Salsa Alternator. Your frame has v 1.0 so you can ignore the 2.0 stuff.

Of course you're also going to need new wheels but it sounds like you already know that.

And a new fork if you have the Manitou 29er w/ 100mm QR dropouts . . . I can't imagine that it will fit 3.0 tires.

Youre also going to want a Boost spaced crankset to ensure the chain clears 3.0 tires. AFAIK the build kits from Salsa have never included a non-Boost crank on the cheaper NX models, and simply let the drivetrain suffer. But I'm not familiar with the Praxis Cadet cranks . . . maybe there is a reversible chainring to move the chainline 3mm?? Perhaps others can chime in on that detail.

mtbr member

Axle-to-Crown or Travel length?

I've just emailed Salsa, meanwhile what do you guys think?

From the Salsa website, for the 2018 Timberjack, it says that the frame is designed from suspension fork with an axle-to-crown length from 511mm to 541mm. But in parentheses 100mm to 130mm of suspension travel.

So if I were to fit the longest fork for this frame, do I go for a fork that is 541mm axle-to-crown or one that is 130mm of travel?

According to Rock Shox, the stock Timberjack fork, the Recon RL with 120mm of travel, has an axle-to-crown of 510mm.
    On the same chart, a Rock Shox Recon RL with 150mm of travel has an axle-to-crown of 540mm:
    Timberjack Thread-gen.0000000005368_2018_fs_oil_air_coil_token_specification_english_rev_d.jpg

I found similar specs for the Pike and the Fox 34 as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    I've just emailed Salsa, meanwhile what do you guys think?

From the Salsa website, for the 2018 Timberjack, it says that the frame is designed from suspension fork with an axle-to-crown length from 511mm to 541mm. But in parentheses 100mm to 130mm of suspension travel.

So if I were to fit the longest fork for this frame, do I go for a fork that is 541mm axle-to-crown or one that is 130mm of travel?

According to Rock Shox, the stock Timberjack fork, the Recon RL with 120mm of travel, has an axle-to-crown of 510mm.
    On the same chart, a Rock Shox Recon RL with 150mm of travel has an axle-to-crown of 540mm.
    I think you're reading the wrong models on the chart. The 27.5 "B" models are too short to accommodate a 29er wheel. Geometrically, it would "work" on the TJ assuming you pick a long-ish travel version, but you'd forever give up the option of running 29 wheels, which is a big sacrifice imho.

Look at the 29B models and you'll see that the length is ~ 540mm for the 130mm travel models, which corresponds exactly to Salsa's "max fork" spec.

I suggest that you confine your search to 120mm and 130mm travel models, ideally w/ 34mm or 35mm stanchions. Lean 120mm if you expect to run 29 a lot and/or more XC and bikepacking or large (2.6+) 29er tires, and 130mm if you expect to run primarily 27.5 plus or typical 2.3-2.4-ish 29er tires and mostly trail riding. Going 140mm only makes sense if the TJ will primarily be used as a very aggressive trail bike and/or with "smaller" (2.6 or 2.8, not 3.0) 27.5 tires.

I've ridden all three lengths (120, 130 and 140) on my TJ and 130 is a fine sweetspot. Its not a random coincidence that 130 is what Salsa specs on most/all the current models. But I'm currently running 120mm because I'm mostly using 29x2.6 tires and bikepacking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    First you need to clarify what bike you've got.
    a) 2017 NX1 29 shipped with Boost reduction plates, QR style alternator dropouts, and a standard 135mm quick release rear hub.
    b) 2018 NX1 29 shipped with the same QR style dropouts, but no Boost reduction plates, and a 141mm QR rear wheel.
    c) current NX Eagle 29 ships as a boost 148mm thru-axle setup.

In case (a) you'll need new Alternator dropout plates (one left, one right, for thru-axles) and a matching axle, in addition to removing the boost reduction plates.

You can search online bike shops like Universal for p/n FS2360 to see what the boost reduction kit looks like. Basically its a 3mm spacer plate for each side, which sits between the frame and the dropout. Note that the kit includes longer bolts . . . which implies that you'll need shorter bolts if you're going the opposite direction. That might be a cosmetic issue you can ignore and just leave the bolts passing through the dropouts into the wheel area *if* none of them impeded into the chain movement around the smallest cog. I don't have my TJ here to check that.

In case (b), you'll need only the new thru-axle dropouts and thru-axle, but you won't need to deal with the reducer plates.

in case (c), you don't need to do anything.

To get familiar w the Salsa Alternator hardware, go to Universal Cycles and search on Salsa Alternator. Your frame has v 1.0 so you can ignore the 2.0 stuff.

Of course you're also going to need new wheels but it sounds like you already know that.

And a new fork if you have the Manitou 29er w/ 100mm QR dropouts . . . I can't imagine that it will fit 3.0 tires.

Youre also going to want a Boost spaced crankset to ensure the chain clears 3.0 tires. AFAIK the build kits from Salsa have never included a non-Boost crank on the cheaper NX models, and simply let the drivetrain suffer. But I'm not familiar with the Praxis Cadet cranks . . . maybe there is a reversible chainring to move the chainline 3mm?? Perhaps others can chime in on that detail.
    Thanks, looks like I am "option b" so I emailed local bike shop and they are ordering me the thru-axle dropouts and the correct axle. It also looks like from Salsa's specs on their website that the 2018 NX1 29er had a boost spaced crank as well so I should be good there. I already swapped out the stock Manitou fork with the QR droupouts for a Rockshox Reba with boost spacing and the thru-axle as well. I think I'm getting close to having what I need now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Timberjack Thread-img_1431.jpg

Just a public service announcement. If anyone is looking for custom graphics email Salsa and they will send you the color codes that match your bike colors. They gave me the codes for both the blue and the yellow on my bike and I was able to get matching decals for the Rockshox Reba made.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I think you're reading the wrong models on the chart. The 27.5 "B" models are too short to accommodate a 29er wheel. Geometrically, it would "work" on the TJ assuming you pick a long-ish travel version, but you'd forever give up the option of running 29 wheels, which is a big sacrifice imho.

Look at the 29B models and you'll see that the length is ~ 540mm for the 130mm travel models, which corresponds exactly to Salsa's "max fork" spec.

I suggest that you confine your search to 120mm and 130mm travel models, ideally w/ 34mm or 35mm stanchions. Lean 120mm if you expect to run 29 a lot and/or more XC and bikepacking or large (2.6+) 29er tires, and 130mm if you expect to run primarily 27.5 plus or typical 2.3-2.4-ish 29er tires and mostly trail riding. Going 140mm only makes sense if the TJ will primarily be used as a very aggressive trail bike and/or with "smaller" (2.6 or 2.8, not 3.0) 27.5 tires.

I've ridden all three lengths (120, 130 and 140) on my TJ and 130 is a fine sweetspot. Its not a random coincidence that 130 is what Salsa specs on most/all the current models. But I'm currently running 120mm because I'm mostly using 29x2.6 tires and bikepacking.
    oh what was I thinking! of course, 27.5+ is 29... that's my mistake. Thanks for the input.

What took me here was when I looked at the specs for the fox 34 (29in fork) and it says that 130mm is 537+/-5mm and 140mm is 547+/-5mm.
    Timberjack Thread-2016_fox_34_29in_15x110qr_user_spec.jpg

Which, one could say that 140mm (547-5mm) would be maxing out the salsa spec but so would 130mm (537+5mm).

Nevertheless, looks like its confirmed both in data and experience that 130mm travel is the max.

p.s. I am intrigued in the 2.6 or even 2.5 width tires...
    p.p.s. I wouldn't say that I am "very" aggressive, but my rides/personality tend to lean towards the messing-around, tom-foolery type

p.p.p.s. a brand new fox 34 or rock shox pike is more than half the price of my timberjack!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just bought a 2018 Frame set or maybe a 2019 from my local shop. I wan to build this as a budget bike and am looking for a Fox 34 for it used. I was wanting to know if anyone can give me the factory head tube stack or the factory steer tube length.

Thank you in advance.
    Jim Roberts
    JBI Armory
    FFL 07 / SOT
    469-236-9507

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    This could be the start of something good

Attachment 1221299

Same frame I picked up Friday.
    Jim Roberts
    JBI Armory
    FFL 07 / SOT
    469-236-9507

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Where did you get the Surly decal? I'm looking for one in Park Tool Blue.

mtbr member
    Stoked on this bike. Happiness is a hardtail!

Timberjack Thread-e091087f-2b97-486f-b786-22c1031ba96e.jpg

Timberjack Thread-caec9f75-cac7-48f6-b374-a6462ecb86f6.jpg

mtbr member
    Now to find a good set of tires in the 29x2.6-3.0 range. Something fast but cushy. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Stoked on this bike. Happiness is a hardtail!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E091087F-2B97-486F-B786-22C1031BA96E.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	643.7 KB 
ID:	1222390

Name:	CAEC9F75-CAC7-48F6-B374-A6462ECB86F6.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	1222391
    nice!
    what are the specs of your component?

mtbr member
    Is anyone running their alternator dropouts extended? Just wondering what would be the pros in doing this? I see everyone just has them in the stock position. My old bike is longer then the TJ and it felt so much better at climbing unlike the TJ which wants to wheelie most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Now to find a good set of tires in the 29x2.6-3.0 range. Something fast but cushy. Any suggestions?
    i like the nobby nick 2.6 quite a lot,good tire for the desert at least,maybe not the fastest but gobs of traction...

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Paul View Post
    Is anyone running their alternator dropouts extended? Just wondering what would be the pros in doing this? I see everyone just has them in the stock position. My old bike is longer then the TJ and it felt so much better at climbing unlike the TJ which wants to wheelie most of the time.

for sure pulling the wheel back will alleviate that...i just switched back to 27.5 x 3 and i looped out a couple times on steeper climbs...on the other hand it rails the corners like crazy with the wheel slammed...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Not sure they fit a tj, but 29x3 on my stache is so plush and fast rolling. I've gotten on podium with it, they're great. I have the bontrager chupacabra (renamed the XR2). They're listed as 75mm wide on 50mm wheels for reference

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

I run mine all the way out. I've tried them all the way in, halfway out, and all the way out, and couldn't feel a significant difference in any of the settings. Specs say the wheelbase is still reasonably short all the way out, so I leave them all the way out. It still rails the corners on the pump track just fine at my speed, and all the way out is bound to offer the most stability.

mtbr member
    nice!
    what are the specs of your component?
    XL frame (Im 62)
    Fox 34 Performance Elite 130
    XT brakes, shifter, derailleur 1x11
    Hadley Hubs / Spank Oozy Trail 345 Rims
    Max is Ardent 2.4 tires
    Thomson post (to be replaced with BikeYoke Revive)
    Bontrager Evoke saddle
    KORE 35mm stem
    Enve RSR bar
    King cage

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I also like the NN 2.6. Im in MN, so great for dirt. I only use them up front and then roll a 2.4 XC tire out back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Adding some frame decals

Timberjack Thread-45501836_10217573805675814_4259263391782141952_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Adding some frame decals

Name:	45501836_10217573805675814_4259263391782141952_n.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	1223884
    did you ride to the voting polls?

mtbr member
    did you ride to the voting polls?
    Yep. I voted for democracy and justice! But instead I got a city council owned by the developers' PACs, ensuring high density single family crackerboxes for decades to come

mtbr member
    I just remembered to put a note here that the Tektros stopped their judder. Bike has about 250 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    converted the tj to singlespeed and put the carbon fork on...

Timberjack Thread-img_20181110_120148453.jpgTimberjack Thread-img_20181110_120143257.jpg

pretty good for an xl frame and 29 x 2.6 inch tires...makes an excellent singlespeed...

mtbr member
    Hey people, just wanted to post that I took off the Nobby Nic and Rocket Ron in a 3.0 and put the stock Rangers back on. I just felt like the 3.0 was just took big and heavy for my riding style, but on the other hand I see why bike packers love 3.0 tires. I gave them to my wife and she loves them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    converted the tj to singlespeed and put the carbon fork on...

Name:	IMG_20181110_120148453.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	1224442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181110_120143257.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	1224443

pretty good for an xl frame and 29 x 2.6 inch tires...makes an excellent singlespeed...
    How long is that fork, and how high is the BB from the ground with that setup? I like rigids but I would be afraid of the cranks getting dangerously low with most rigid forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I like rigids but I would be afraid of the cranks getting dangerously low with most rigid forks.
    I have no pedal strike complaints with my 490mm Niner Boost fork. At 490mm its equivalent to a typical suspension fork compressed to 90mm . . . so a 120mm that is 25% into its travel, for example.

While that's a bit lower than the BB height w/ suspension fork at sag (a Fox 34 130mm at 20% sag is 509mm c-to-a) one has to remember that it never goes below that. So in practice, the BB stays higher than lots of situations on a suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    it's a salsa firestarter fork and i believe its 493 a/c...

with the 29 x 2.6 tires pedal strikes area non issue,the same is true with the pike. with 27.5 x 3 tires i do get more pedal strikes but not enough to say it's really a problem...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    oops,the a/c on the firestarter is 483...

mtbr member

Pretty in Pink! Off to live a life of Cabo desert riding! Maiden Voyage Waldo Lake OR

Timberjack Thread-img_4114.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-img_4137.jpg  

THOSE WHO ARE AWAKE LIVE IN A STATE OF CONSTANT AMAZEMENT

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I love that PINK! I also love riding at Waldo Lake. I've been wondering how much snow might be there now. I tried riding in October last year and there was too much snow - impassable!
    2009 Salsa La Cruz
    2010 Salsa Casseroll
    2012 Wilier Izoard XP
    2013 Niner RLT9
    2018 Salsa TJ SLX
    2018 Colnago GRV

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Timberjack Thread-img_20181118_131212129.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here is my custom Timberjack:

Timberjack Thread-2018-salsa-timberjack-39287_1.jpg
    Timberjack Thread-2018-salsa-timberjack-39287_2.jpg
    Timberjack Thread-2018-salsa-timberjack-39287_4.jpg
    Timberjack Thread-2018-salsa-timberjack-39287_3.jpg

2 thumbs up!

mtbr member
    Pics of my TJ and my wife's Cannondale Scarlet

mtbr member
    Just noticed that my rear wheel has a wobble, seems like my hub is bad. Has anyone had this problem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Picked up a rekon + and high roller II for my timberjack at the lbs yesterday. Got them for $70 a piece. Big snow storm heading this way tonight, so it looks like they'll be going on soon. Any tips on changing tubeless tires without air leaks or problems?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just noticed that my rear wheel has a wobble, seems like my hub is bad. Has anyone had this problem?

Probably just a bearing gone bad. The bike doesn't come with super high quality bearings. I've replaced both of the bearings in my front hub on my gx1. Have the lbs replace them with enduro bearings if that's the problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    Probably just a bearing gone bad. The bike doesn't come with super high quality bearings. I've replaced both of the bearings in my front hub on my gx1. Have the lbs replace them with enduro bearings if that's the problem.
    I took the wheel off and the nuts on the bearings were loose so I tightened them up a bit, but i think they are a little too tight, it's not rolling as fast as before

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I took the wheel off and the nuts on the bearings were loose so I tightened them up a bit, but i think they are a little too tight, it's not rolling as fast as before

Sounds like you have a qr axle and not a thru axle like mine has. I'm not sure what to do with those. I've never had to adjust the bearings on an axle like yours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    been having a problem with my firestarter fork,for some reason the stem is loosening or slipping on the steerer tube,i'm guessing it has something to do with heaving on the bars so much since i went to single speed...gonna swap in the pike today and see if it still does that...

Timberjack Thread-img_20181207_102429616.jpg

_
    Mar 2004
    My 2019 TimberJack Deore. I had a blast today on its inaugural ride!

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516