Forums - Mtbr.com

Timberjack Thread

Thread: Timberjack Thread

Tags:

Battery said:
    Quote Originally Posted by theandrewjoe View Post
    how about pedal strikes? I get them alot...wondering if I would with 29ers.
    Personally I don't get too many strikes on either wheel set. I think the BB sits close to the same height for both wheel set.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

Darth Lefty said:
    I like my plus tires but I can see how my tastes might be a little gauche

3. macribas said:
    Quote Originally Posted by tacti View Post
    Did I miss something? I thought his review was equally positive on The TJ as well... ?
    They are, but Steve reviewed the TJ before the Fuse, and he had tested the old Fuse in the past and didnít like it.
    When he rode the new Fuse he had very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. macribas said:
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankS29 View Post
    I personally didnít have an issue with pedal strikes on my 27.5x2.8 tires.

I personally liked the TJ much more as a 29er. To me, the devil is in the detail between the two wheel sizes. I like how 29x2.4Ē tires corner and feel overall. I found climbing to be easier, landing off drops or jumps FAR better and the direct feeling while cornering is much better for me.

Plus tires are more comfortable and can have more traction, but I personally didnít like the trade off with the other attributes.
    I have 29Ē wheels arriving this weekend to try out. Letís talk next week!

5. FrankS29 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by macribas View Post
    I have 29Ē wheels arriving this weekend to try out. Letís talk next week!
    What tires and wheels?

I have been really happy with my Maxxis Dissector front, Rekon rear combo.

6. macribas said:
    What tires and wheels?

I have been really happy with my Maxxis Dissector front, Rekon rear combo.
    Got a used set from another Salsa bike. Sunringle Duroc 40 wheels and Maxxis Rekon 2.6Ē rubber.

7. macribas said:
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    any of you gone from 27.5+ to 29, I've heard that most of you loved it, but any of you gone back to 27.5+, or any of you like the 29 but misses parts of the 27.5+?
    And to make things even more interesting, anyone tried the mullet setup? (27.5 rear / 29 front)

I think thatís the first thing Iíll try.

tweeder82o said:
    And to make things even more interesting, anyone tried the mullet setup? (27.5 rear / 29 front)

I think thatís the first thing Iíll try.

is it still as "mullet" as it could be with 27.5x2.8 rear? or do you plan on trying it with smaller tires?

9. macribas said:
    is it still as "mullet" as it could be with 27.5x2.8 rear? or do you plan on trying it with smaller tires?
    I think mullet means business up front and party out back, so the larger the tire in the rear, the more fun?

tweeder82o said:
    I think mullet means business up front and party out back, so the larger the tire in the rear, the more fun?

touche

Battery said:
    The PNW wet season will be upon my area fairly soon! I'm going to swap out my 27.5x3" Teravail Coronado front tire for something with more knobs and grip in wet weather conditions. I am probably going to stick with the Coronado as my rear tire. My Salsa/Surly dealer can get me a 3" Surly Dirt Wizard to replace my front tire and I'm leaning towards that one. I am open to other tires though.

Do you all have any other 3" tire recommendations for wet conditions?

12. Funoutside said:
    I've heard good things about the WTB Vigilante, but that's a 2.8.

13. tacti said:
    just came across this....

https://www.chainreactionbicycles.ca...ack-xt-29.html

I didn't see any change from the 2020 based on the description. should I be excited that 2021 model will be available at the store soon?

14. macribas said:
    Quote Originally Posted by tacti View Post
    just came across this....

https://www.chainreactionbicycles.ca...ack-xt-29.html

I didn't see any change from the 2020 based on the description. should I be excited that 2021 model will be available at the store soon?
    Beautiful! Salsa rep was here at the LBS last week and said only Feb 2021 at the earliest.

Millennial29erGuy said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Do you all have any other 3" tire recommendations for wet conditions?
    Vittoria Bomboloni is still out there however I think it has been discontinued as it is no longer on their website. It has a shorter knob height and wimpier side knobs than the Surly you're looking at. Haven't used either myself though. Not many true 3" tires out there
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Darth Lefty said:
    Shoot, there are plus and fat Minions if thatís what you want.

17. macribas said:
    touche
    Hereís the mullet!
    Not much of a difference, Iíd say. You can feel it probably during the first 5 min of riding. But all trails are wet this weekend so I wonít be able to really test it.

tweeder82o said:
    Hereís the mullet!
    Not much of a difference, Iíd say. You can feel it probably during the first 5 min of riding. But all trails are wet this weekend so I wonít be able to really test it.

nice, being able to the two wheels side by side is cool

Battery said:
    I thought about trying out the High Roller II Plus tires. Anyone give them a shot?

https://shop.maxxis.com/products/hig...34173867753607

Battery said:
    Funny coincidence about plus tires and the 2020 Specialized Fuse. A family friend sold their house and wanted to buy her son an early birthday gift: a better mountain bike. He's 13 years old, 6'1", and has a 33 inch inseam. This kid is gonna grow even more. She checked some of the local shops and couldn't find a bike that could fit him. With my help, we scoured Pink Bike for a couple hours and couldn't find something that worked out.

I ended up finding him a brand new 2020 Fuse size XL (27.5 w/ 2.8" tires) at a local bike shop. As always, this shop was really awesome. She paid for the bike online last second but the shop was closing. She gave them a call and they actually delivered the bike to her house after hours just to get her son pedaling on the trail. They are swinging by my place today so I'm going to help him get the bike all set up and then we are gonna take it for a spin on the trails.

I'm really excited for him and the kid extremely eager to take this bike out. He used to ride a Walmart Mongoose bike out here on my local trails. I actually checked my local Salsa dealer to see if they had any Timberjacks for sale but they pulled most of the mountain bikes off the website. Salsa must be completely out of stock or something.

21. macribas said:
    I ended up finding him a brand new 2020 Fuse size XL (27.5 w/ 2.8" tires) at a local bike shop. As always, this shop was really awesome. She paid for the bike online last second but the shop was closing. She gave them a call and they actually delivered the bike to her house after hours just to get her son pedaling on the trail. They are swinging by my place today so I'm going to help him get the bike all set up and then we are gonna take it for a spin on the trails.

I'm really excited for him and the kid extremely eager to take this bike out. He used to ride a Walmart Mongoose bike out here on my local trails. I actually checked my local Salsa dealer to see if they had any Timberjacks for sale but they pulled most of the mountain bikes off the website. Salsa must be completely out of stock or something.
    Very cool that you found a nice bike and great service! I heard the 27.5Ē Fuse is very different than the 29Ē version. Please let us know how he likes it. I can say that my mullet Timberjack rides a lot different than the stock 27.5Ē in the trails. It took me a few minutes to adjust but think I like it so far.

And yes, you canít find Timberjacks anywhere, the Salsa reps are saying February at the earliest.

fitnating said:
    Anyone looking for a fork for their TJ? I have a Fox 34 130mm that I may be parting with (moving over some parts to a new full suspension build).

Feel free to DM if you are looking for a fork and I can share details, what Im hoping to get for it.

23. ilmfat said:
    I also prefer 27.5x3. But I ride rigid, so that likely provides bias.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb. - 2011

Climbing ain't so bad. - 2019

Battery said:
    I went with 2.8" High Roller II tires for my bike. They were on sale. If I bought 3" HRII's direct from Maxxis, it would have ran nearly $110 per tire. Jenson has the 2.8" HRIIs for about $77 per tire for the beefed up version (120tpi) and $68 for the regular version (60tpi).

Darth Lefty said:
    Sales are nice! Got my Schwalbes from Universal on closeout , they are the old compounds

Battery said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Sales are nice! Got my Schwalbes from Universal on closeout , they are the old compounds
    Awesome! I usually go through Bike Tires Direct which is located a couple hours south of me but they didn't have HRII tires in stock. Prior to the USPS shipping hardships, I used to receive my merchandise from them within 1-2 days. Now it takes USPS 4 days to ship something 2 hours south of me. One of these days, I'm just gonna Will Call and go pick up whatever I order from them instead.

theandrewjoe said:
    I went with 2.8" High Roller II tires for my bike. They were on sale. If I bought 3" HRII's direct from Maxxis, it would have ran nearly $110 per tire. Jenson has the 2.8" HRIIs for about $77 per tire for the beefed up version (120tpi) and $68 for the regular version (60tpi).
    Front and back? I think you might want to swap to a rekon or icon on the back if you find it too sluggish.
    Salsa Timberjack GX (2018)

Battery said:
    Quote Originally Posted by theandrewjoe View Post
    Front and back? I think you might want to swap to a rekon or icon on the back if you find it too sluggish.
    Yeah I'm gonna run dual HRIIs. In winter months, I prefer more traction than speed. I'm not too worried about the speed penalty for running this setup. It just rains a lot here in the PNW. I will most likely swap back to my Coronado tires in the late spring through end of summer.

Darth Lefty said:
    Those of you with Rockshox Motion Control forks on your TJ's, are you satisfied with them? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Judy Silver on my barrel-scraping 18 NX. There are lots of Motion Control forks out there for sale used but getting into something like a Reba/Sid or Rev/Pike or other brand equivalents is more spendy.

Battery said:
    Those of you with Rockshox Motion Control forks on your TJ's, are you satisfied with them? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Judy Silver on my barrel-scraping 18 NX. There are lots of Motion Control forks out there for sale used but getting into something like a Reba/Sid or Rev/Pike or other brand equivalents is more spendy.
    I've never liked the MC damper. It just doesn't track well over anything on the trail. I've always gone to great lengths to swap it out or just get a new fork. Have you looked around for a used Pike? The 2018 Pike or Revelation wouldn't be a bad buy. I think the 2018+ Pike have a Charger damper while the Revelation has the MC damper. You can swap out the MC damper in the Revelation for a Charger. I've done it a few times. If you are okay with ripping a fork apart, you can do it too!

Darth Lefty said:
    I've been reading up.

The Silver/Gold family forks are all TK or MC.

The Charger 2.1 is only in the 35mm forks. I feel like I understand that upgrade path and that one of the newer ones with an IFP would be good too. But it just seems more heavy duty than my riding. In the hypothetical future where I'm no longer doing kid stuff, I have a FS bike and it would be nice to carry over. But that bike will probably come with its own decent fork.

For 32mm forks, the Reba is to Sid (and old 32mm Revelation) as Rev is to Pike, it's Moco in the box but can get the Charger RLC damper. Is that worth doing?

grubetown said:
    I think we can handle two different trains of questioning on this thread, but if I derail the fork discussion, I apologize. BTW - @fitnating shipped me his Fox fork and I should get it this week

Is anyone running a rear fender on their TJ? Looking at Mudhugger, but open to suggestions. If anyone has run the Mudhugger, would it fit around my 29x2.6 tires? Thanks.
    Giant Anthem 2 27.5 | Salsa Timberjack Custom build | Soma Fogcutter

Battery said:
    Got my two 2.8Ē Maxxis High Roller II tires installed. Iím ready for the wet weather!

Battery said:
    I've been reading up.

The Silver/Gold family forks are all TK or MC.

The Charger 2.1 is only in the 35mm forks. I feel like I understand that upgrade path and that one of the newer ones with an IFP would be good too. But it just seems more heavy duty than my riding. In the hypothetical future where I'm no longer doing kid stuff, I have a FS bike and it would be nice to carry over. But that bike will probably come with its own decent fork.

For 32mm forks, the Reba is to Sid (and old 32mm Revelation) as Rev is to Pike, it's Moco in the box but can get the Charger RLC damper. Is that worth doing?
    Good question. Canít really answer it though. Iíve always used 35mm forks for most of my bikes. My Pike Ultimate does have the Charger 2.1 damper though. I love having all of the adjustability. My TJ tracks over the ground so well with this fork.

Darth Lefty said:
    I actually find myself considering a Suntour fork. A fork with their PCS cartridge can be found for around five hundred.

FENDERS: I have a Mudhugger rear, the big folding Mucky Nutz front, with a noname downtube mudguard that came in a set from Amazon that was obviously 26er size once I had it in hand. The Mudhugger would have no trouble with a 29+ tire, I think. It keeps it off the back and backside, but since it stops at the chain stays it dumps on the BB. They have some new versions that are a little different, I might have bought if they existed two years ago. The front will keep it off you going straight through a puddle but not turning.

Millennial29erGuy said:
    I actually find myself considering a Suntour fork. A fork with their PCS cartridge can be found for around five hundred.
    I would totally be looking at suntour especially since you can demo them for free
    https://www.srsuntour.us/collections...15896087429214

For budget forks, i'd be looking at the marzocchi z1 or z2.

I had a moco rockshox reba and did not like it. Felt like a children's toy. Changed it to the rct3 damper (another $120) and it made essentially no difference. Just my 2 cents.

Millennial29erGuy said:
    Got my two 2.8Ē Maxxis High Roller II tires installed. Iím ready for the wet weather!

she purdy

Battery said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Millennial29erGuy View Post
    she purdy
    We are expecting more rain here in the PNW by the weekend. It's about time! My plan is to take this bike out and just have fun on wet terrain. It's been months since I've ridden in wet conditions!

Darth Lefty said:
    found a pic of my bike with the mudguards on (which it wears about the same time span each year as non-savings-time). This is with the 27.5x2.8 tires and you can see there's a lot more room to push the Mudhugger closer to the seat tube so it will ride higher, and a lot more radius in its curve for a bigger tire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-e9987279_6929_410a_bc2a_015b323e9f28_6c8f0f476ae464b30f7119d486e4319cdcb9cc3f.jpg  

40. ilmfat said:
    Anybody with a spare 27.5+ wheelset happen to want a 2019 SID Select? 1 Season under an 80lb kid.

41. therza2169 said:
    Anyone know of any nice grips in a similar color to the reddish orange on the 2020 XT 27.5? Ordered some orange Ergon GD1 Evos and the color is not close.

Darth Lefty said:
    No but I can relate. It seems like orange accessories are all in a straightforward Halloween pumpkin color. My 18 NX a few posts above is neon and not a good match for these Chester pedals either. I'd have been better off with yellow to match the decal

43. therza2169 said:
    You aren't kidding about that. Maybe I'll just stick with black lol.

Battery said:
    Quote Originally Posted by therza2169 View Post
    Anyone know of any nice grips in a similar color to the reddish orange on the 2020 XT 27.5? Ordered some orange Ergon GD1 Evos and the color is not close.
    Any of these colors work? https://www.pnwcomponents.com/produc...30228318814285

Millennial29erGuy said:
    We are expecting more rain here in the PNW by the weekend. It's about time! My plan is to take this bike out and just have fun on wet terrain. It's been months since I've ridden in wet conditions!
    How would you rate the girth of those tires compared to the coronado 3.0?

Millennial29erGuy said:
    Timberjack Thread-img_2532.jpg

a nice rotated pic of my bike

Battery said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Millennial29erGuy View Post
    How would you rate the girth of those tires compared to the coronado 3.0?
    I was quite curious about that myself. When you look at these tires installed, they do look smaller than the 3" Coronado tires. Prior to removing my back tire, I stacked my front wheel on top of the back wheel to visually see the difference in thickness. I was going to take a photo but I'm not very coordinated to hold a wheel on top of another wheel and take a photo. Overall, these 2.8" tires look just slightly smaller in overall width compared to the 3" Coronado. For me, it's quite noticeable.

I actually wanted the 3" HRIIs but they are going for $110 through Maxxis. I'll gladly save about $100 getting the 2.8" version and use that spare money for some extra beer

48. therza2169 said:
    Orange is probably too orange. Thanks for the suggestion though. Wouldn't even be looking if I didn't scrape a tree last week .

Darth Lefty said:
    I like the Kawasaki green. I don't have any use for it but I like it

centershot said:
    Getting the hardtail itch again and trying to decide between a TJ 29 SLX? and 2021 Honzo AL. 29". Anyone have experience with both? Also waiting to see what the 2021 TJ's look like. Anyone have spy photos?
    I wanna ride!

Battery said:
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Getting the hardtail itch again and trying to decide between a TJ 29 SLX? and 2021 Honzo AL. 29". Anyone have experience with both? Also waiting to see what the 2021 TJ's look like. Anyone have spy photos?
    Can't go wrong with either. The new Honzo models are way more aggressive now. Would be worth it as an enduro hardtail. As for the 21 TJ, no rumors yet. Seeing Salsa is rolling out new bikes left and right, it may not be long until we see it appear.

52. Funoutside said:
    I know the Honzo ST & DL got the new geo. I could be wrong but I think the AL I think stays the same.

Battery said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    I know the Honzo ST & DL got the new geo. I could be wrong but I think the AL I think stays the same.
    I believe that's correct. I actually want to build the new steel frame!

54. FrankS29 said:
    Without digging through pages of post, anyone here riding a TJ with a rigid fork?

I'm looking at the Whiskey No.9 Boost fork so that I can build my TJ back up. I want it to be more of "mess around" bike. Riding around the neighborhood with kids, gravel paths, townie bike kind of stuff.

I want to keep it light, simple and efficient, so that's why I'm looking at the rigid fork.

I have my I9 Enduro Hydra 29ers to put back on the bike, massive overkill, but I plan on putting some Rekon Race tires on them and then I can throw the 27.5+ wheels on it if I want a mini-fat bike.

I like the Whiskey No.9 Boost because of the 500mm axle to crown measurement. replicates a sagged 120-130mm suspension fork.

55. 907nattylight said:
    https://www.modernbike.com/surly-kra...readless-black

I was rocking this fork for a minute. really liked the simplistic look. Had a more attack stance feel with the 483mm a-c. a lot cheaper than your listed fork if cost is an issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-img_20200723_141023_796.jpg  

56. Funoutside said:
    Not sure of the price for the Whiskey fork, but there is also the option of the carbon Bombtrack fork, which has 3 pack mount & a 500mm AtoC.

57. ilmfat said:
    Rumor is that Vassago has another batch of Odis forks dropping in a month or two. 495 AtoC 45 offset. Tapered steel. My WaltWorks landed. 500/51. Install this week. I've ran the BXT 505/51 (ebay. Some BXT are 485.) I'd keep rolling those, but they aren't boost (BXT boost are 485) and I'm getting away from carbon. And the brake mount threads are on the way out, I fear. The ride is fine. I like the dimensions. But I was reminded that new carbon may be better than 1990s carbon, but it's still carbon. So steel forks for everyone, except my wife and the youngest minion. Ima let the kiddo finish out her stint on the Xs sus'd. Probably another season. I already have the Krampus fork I'm going to put on the Xs for whichever future groms ride it. And the Sm is getting an Odis I've reserved. Ima play around with em and see what feels good with what wheels before I pick up the rest of the replacements and throw a couple in the Apocalypse Parts Pileô.

Some say 3" tires make fork material moot. I'm still skeptical, but I grow more curious every time long rigid forks come up. Technically exceeds Salsa's recommended AtoC for the TJ. I might buy one if I end up grabbing an NS Eccentric frame. https://usd.rsdbikes.com/product/510mm-aluminum-fork/

And if you're the type who prefers to skip the middleman and risk QC issues, this website had a decent rep, iirc. No personal experience myself, but the website doesn't seem too fishy. https://www.diycarbonbikes.com/colle...ucts/boostfork

58. ilmfat said:
    Last edited by ilmfat; 21 Hours Ago at 10:34 PM. Reason: Wrong link

59. FrankS29 said:
    Iím finding Iím kind of stuck on having it be carbon. Iím being a bit of a weight weenie with this. I keep looking at the weight of steel forks and keep saying that if Iím going to bolt that much weight to the front, might as well as put a Fox 34 step cast on it.

haha.

The diy carbon ones Iíve checked out, but I get nervous putting my trust in that. Probably unfounded, but I like to have a certain level of trust in my bike parts.

The Bombtrack one mentioned before looks interesting, but where the heck do you get them?!

The closest shop to me that can get them is 3+ hours away...

fitnating said:
    Iím finding Iím kind of stuck on having it be carbon. Iím being a bit of a weight weenie with this. I keep looking at the weight of steel forks and keep saying that if Iím going to bolt that much weight to the front, might as well as put a Fox 34 step cast on it.

haha.

The diy carbon ones Iíve checked out, but I get nervous putting my trust in that. Probably unfounded, but I like to have a certain level of trust in my bike parts.

The Bombtrack one mentioned before looks interesting, but where the heck do you get them?!

The closest shop to me that can get them is 3+ hours away...
    Been wanting a rigid fork for my TJ for a while now. Decided to pull the trigger on the DIY Carbon Whisky model. Will update the thread with pictures and impressions when it gets here.

61. ilmfat said:
    For what it's worth, I'm not a light guy and that BXT runs fine. I actually just reinstalled it after getting a non-boost B+ wheel. I bought an Airwolf off Ebay because it's pink. The Thru Axle doesn't fit properly. Sure, it's a hundo I'll never get back. But it was an obviously bad fork. No risk of crashing it as it won't let me install it. I feel like there are enough tolerance requirements that shoddy construction/materials will be obvious. If we were less careless I would be fine trusting that DIY for the boost. Alas, our bikes get banged around a bit, so steel it is. And I actually feel like the front is too light with a carbon fork. When I pop the front wheel up, it comes waaaaay up.

62. ilmfat said:
    Wolftooth +10 Headset lower for a total of 502AtoC at 51 offset:

https://www.ticycles.com/store-all/f...9plus-titanium

"Maximum rotor:160" is a bit concerning, admittedly.

MTBR Newsletter

Get the latest mountain bike reviews, news, race results, and much more by signing up for the MTBR Newsletter