Timberjack Thread - Page 14- Mtbr.com
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,800 of 2816
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeyer View Post
    I wasn't looking for a timberjack, but given the lack of bikes out there, I settled on a Timberjack Deore 27.5. It was $900 out the door, so I thought I'd give it a shot, given that it has an air shock and dropper.

I'd like to put a set of lighter, faster 29er wheels. However, I've been out of the loop so long I have no idea what to buy. i know the front wheel is thru axle, and the back QR, what else should I look for?

Thanks!
    If you are going to upgrade wheels I would just spend the extra money on upgrading to new alternator drop out brackets to get boost through axle in the rear. Will cost about $100 as there are 3 parts you need to get. A left and right side alternator and the the through axle. I just did this on my bike when I got a new wheel set

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    2019 salsa timberjack

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Forgot to mention if you upgrade to boost spacing in the rear you will have more options as far as wheelsets as it is the standard

2019 salsa timberjack

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the quick response!

Let's just say, for sake of argument, that I'm pretty cheap and are at least 10 years behind on new tech...so the old QR spacing wouldn't bother me...what specific wheel would fit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Let's just say, for sake of argument, that I'm pretty cheap and are at least 10 years behind on new tech...so the old QR spacing wouldn't bother me...what specific wheel would fit?
    You need to look for a wheelset that has 141 QR rear wheel spacing and a front wheel spacing of 15x110. The front is the industry standard, but for the rear i am not sure who provides an upgraded wheel with that spacing without looking.

2019 salsa timberjack

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

So after a quick search of some of the main online sites. Jensons, competitive cyclist and worldwidecyclery, worldwide was the only one i found that had complete rear wheels in 141 qr spacing.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/col...3de=QR+x+141mm

You might have luck just asking the dealer about a wheelset.

141 QR is common on entry level bikes but for upgrading wheels it is not very common. Lot more options in the 12x148 boost standard

2019 salsa timberjack

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I feel like a dope for not being able to figure that out on my own. I'll keep an eye out for a deal, or a nice used set. Thanks Ral1121

NedwannaB
    I wasn't looking for a timberjack, but given the lack of bikes out there, I settled on a Timberjack Deore 27.5. It was $900 out the door, so I thought I'd give it a shot, given that it has an air shock and dropper.

I'd like to put a set of lighter, faster 29er wheels. However, I've been out of the loop so long I have no idea what to buy. i know the front wheel is thru axle, and the back QR, what else should I look for?

Thanks!
    First thing is get either the 12x148 boost or 12x142 alternator dropout plates so you can find some decent hub wheels. The 141 QR type wheels aren't worth upgrading to.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Hope boost rear hub with QR end caps = 141 QR. Not sure about other hub manufacturers.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb. - 2011

Climbing ain't so bad. - 2019

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    You could get alternator reduction plates for 135QR rear wheel, but it'll be detrimental to your chainline.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

In the long run, and probably the short run, upgrading to 148mm thru axle alternator plates will be the smartest and cheapest option. There are a plethora of used boost wheels. People are always upgrading. Going the old technology route isnít wise and probably wonít save any money.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Alternator reduction plates interfere with the swinger tension screws, as well.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007

To SingleSpeed or Gear

4 weeks since dumb riding left me with a broken rib. Might be a bit early to ride, but it's been too long already. Yesterday was this bike's trial run. Second ride today went okay. Just bike paths for a couple more weeks. 29x2.6 Ikons roll pretty well, but are loud at speed. I think The Eh Lines roll just as well, but I am not expecting as much trail traction from the Maxxis.

Timberjack Thread-turqltun.jpg

Here's the Oof, if anyone wants to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vfH1J5MX_8&t=63s

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    4 weeks since dumb riding left me with a broken rib. Might be a bit early to ride, but it's been too long already. Yesterday was this bike's trial run. Second ride today went okay. Just bike paths for a couple more weeks. 29x2.6 Ikons roll pretty well, but are loud at speed. I think The Eh Lines roll just as well, but I am not expecting as much trail traction from the Maxxis.

Here's the Oof, if anyone wants to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vfH1J5MX_8&t=63s
    Ouch! Glad to hear you are ok. Did your front tire wash out?
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Yeah. I was too far to the outside. And going faster than my skills.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Yeah. I was too far to the outside. And going faster than my skills.

That sounds an awful lot like how I nearly broke my collarbone last month!

Haha.

I still have to be careful how I lift something or move my shoulder. But I can at least ride with it now.

Take it easy like you are and heal up, buddy!

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, meng.

jcd's best friend
    I'm not sure why, but I'm compelled to do 2 things on my TJ:

1. ride like a rage monster with a hard on
    2. do a bunch of tricks

I watched the PNW Components "Get Phat" video featuring Pat Smage doing awesome trials moves with a fat bike and it inspired me to practice basic tricks with my 3" tires. I've been practicing track stands over the last 2 years so it's natural for me to do it without thinking. Now I'm learning how to branch from the track stand and do nose pivots and other crazy stuff. No other bike has ever convinced me to do this stuff lol!

During my last few ride sessions with the TJ, I rode nearly 3 miles riding only on a balance beam and performing track stands on the balance beams. It's been a lot of fun!

For some reason, doing party tricks is natural for me and I want to see where it takes me. I think the pink frame has gone straight to my head.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Couple questions about going tubeless specific to the 2019 Timberjack SLX

1. Any issues going tubeless with the stock WTB Ranger Comps? (The comp's aren't listed on WTB's site.)
    2. Does a 44mm stem fit these rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagobah View Post

1. Any issues going tubeless with the stock WTB Ranger Comps? (The comp's aren't listed on WTB's site.)
    The Comps will not work tubeless, you need tires designated TCS under the WTB brand. The Comps are wire bead I believe and will not work.

Yes, a 44mm stem will fit, you could go shorter but 44 will work.

DFMBA.org

FWIW, I set up the wire 29Ē Trail Boss tires on my SLX, tubeless. They were a PITA to do even with a compressor, but held air fine once they were up. Problem is if you deflate the tire, the sidewall falls away from the rim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    The Comps will not work tubeless, you need tires designated TCS under the WTB brand. The Comps are wire bead I believe and will not work..
    Dang, that's a bummer. 27.5+ tires aren't cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a WTB Ranger I used tubeless in reasonable shape that I would sell at a reasonable price. I may have 2. PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Check out the deals at Universalcycles.com, as they have Nobby Nics for as low as $35 and WTB Rangers for $43.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Done! Iíll give the fork a proper welcome this weekend. I just did the air setup and I need to mess with HSC and LSC later on while on the trail. I also need to order new brake caliper bolts. Mine are too long because the new fork is 180 native. I just grabbed a bunch of spacers from old bolts and tossed them on lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweet!

let us know how you like the new fork vs the old

do you do an exhaustive trial and error when setting the HSC and LSC? or do you just set it to where you think they should be and adjust up/down as you ride?

mtbr member

Timberjack Updates

Hey All, adding a few more images to this thread. Been loving my Timberjack for the past 2 years. Picked up a 2018 SLX and after about a year switched to 29 inch Stans flows. Ran a WTB Vigilante and Trail Boss at 2.5 first and then went to 2.5 DHF/Aggressor which I am really liking.

Also updated fork, handlebars, seat, and most recently switched the stock 80mm stem on my XL for a 65 Deity Copperhead. Super capable bike overall... I've ridden lots of different Southern California trails on this.

Timberjack Thread-img_6856.jpg

Timberjack Thread-img_9728.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    That green looks great.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    sweet!

let us know how you like the new fork vs the old

do you do an exhaustive trial and error when setting the HSC and LSC? or do you just set it to where you think they should be and adjust up/down as you ride?
    The new fork rides so much better than the old. I have so much adjustability now. I don't really have trial and error with the settings though. I adjust based on the trail I'm about to ride. I've been experimenting with a general setting and I seem to like having HSC fully open and LSC dialed to about half way (at or about 10 clicks clockwise).

The fork travel is nice and smooth. It doesn't feel like a pogo stick. When I took a hit with the Recon and the MC damper, it had this weird pogo feeling because I couldn't refine the rebound adjustment. Thanks to the upgraded fork, I can set my rebound way better. I used to ride with a Revelation and Yari fork with the Charger 2 damper so I'm used to constantly changing my settings before I ran a trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    The new fork rides so much better than the old. I have so much adjustability now. I don't really have trial and error with the settings though. I adjust based on the trail I'm about to ride. I've been experimenting with a general setting and I seem to like having HSC fully open and LSC dialed to about half way (at or about 10 clicks clockwise).

The fork travel is nice and smooth. It doesn't feel like a pogo stick. When I took a hit with the Recon and the MC damper, it had this weird pogo feeling because I couldn't refine the rebound adjustment. Thanks to the upgraded fork, I can set my rebound way better. I used to ride with a Revelation and Yari fork with the Charger 2 damper so I'm used to constantly changing my settings before I ran a trail.
    What travel length did you go with? Was debating on getting the Can Creek Helm.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by dgilbert19 View Post
    What travel length did you go with? Was debating on getting the Can Creek Helm.
    I stuck with 130mm. I also installed a Cane Creek Hellbender 70 headset too. I had some odd noises coming from the front of my bike. After riding a couple times, I'm fairly sure it was my Cane Creek 10 headset that was making all of the noise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnating View Post
    Hey All, adding a few more images to this thread. Been loving my Timberjack for the past 2 years. Picked up a 2018 SLX and after about a year switched to 29 inch Stans flows. Ran a WTB Vigilante and Trail Boss at 2.5 first and then went to 2.5 DHF/Aggressor which I am really liking.

Also updated fork, handlebars, seat, and most recently switched the stock 80mm stem on my XL for a 65 Deity Copperhead. Super capable bike overall... I've ridden lots of different Southern California trails on this.

Nice, I'm liking the 29er with the 2.5 tires. nice upgrades!

mtbr member

I stuck with 130mm. I also installed a Cane Creek Hellbender 70 headset too. I had some odd noises coming from the front of my bike. After riding a couple times, I'm fairly sure it was my Cane Creek 10 headset that was making all of the noise.
    yea, there was something about that recon... it was good for the price but in the end the better forks are ... better. I don't think the rebound knob on the recon did anything...

I've been holding on to my old recon fork though, not sure why... should I just pitch it? what did you do with yours? is there a special way to dispose of it?

that cane creek 10 on the other hand was definitely a budget component, I actually found out that on some timberjack builds (like mine) it came with cane creek 5s...

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    yea, there was something about that recon... it was good for the price but in the end the better forks are ... better. I don't think the rebound knob on the recon did anything...

I've been holding on to my old recon fork though, not sure why... should I just pitch it? what did you do with yours? is there a special way to dispose of it?

that cane creek 10 on the other hand was definitely a budget component, I actually found out that on some timberjack builds (like mine) it came with cane creek 5s...
    I am holding on to my Recon fork so if I ever sold my TJ, I can swap the fork out and just sell/reuse the Pike Ultimate. People aren't gonna give me top dollar for a TJ with a Pike Ultimate installed.

I've also been known to buy bare frames and build them up too. I can use my Recon as a temporary fork until I'm ready to pick up something else. If you want, you can always just sell the fork for $100-200. A new rider would love to get their hands on an air fork and swap out the spring fork on their starter bike.

jcd's best friend
    Hey in my Salsa Bikes FB group, someone reported that their Race Face Ride crank snapped in half. When he took the bike back, the shop also told him that other customers brought their TJs back for snapped cranks too.

I've never been a fan of the Race Face Ride crank so I went ahead and ordered a RF Atlas with a 30mm BB to swap out everything. I thought about sticking with my 30T cinch chainring but I'm a little confused with the info that Salsa has on their website.

Can a TJ with boost spacing use a 32T chainring?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hey in my Salsa Bikes FB group, someone reported that their Race Face Ride crank snapped in half. When he took the bike back, the shop also told him that other customers brought their TJs back for snapped cranks too.

I've never been a fan of the Race Face Ride crank so I went ahead and ordered a RF Atlas with a 30mm BB to swap out everything. I thought about sticking with my 30T cinch chainring but I'm a little confused with the info that Salsa has on their website.

Yes if you have boost rear spacing a 32 tooth chrain ring is the maximum you can use. If you have the 141 QR rear 30T is the max

2019 salsa timberjack

mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Also isn't the stock BB suppose to be 73mm bsa BB?

2019 salsa timberjack

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ral1121 View Post
    Also isn't the stock BB suppose to be 73mm bsa BB?

If youíre asking about him saying a 30mm BB, he is referring to the spindle diameter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankS29 View Post
    If youíre asking about him saying a 30mm BB, he is referring to the spindle diameter.
    Ahh ok disregard my last post

2019 salsa timberjack

jcd's best friend
    Sorry about that. It's too early in the morning and haven't had my coffee. I picked up an RF Atlas 68/73 with a 30mm spindle and I ordered a Race Face BB that can take a 30mm spindle. Considering that I'm a Clyde, I might as well bump the crank up a size.

Thanks for the info about the chainring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hey All!
    Sorry to be spammy.
    I'm currently set up with a 2017 27.5+ Timberjack GX1 and am looking to put some bigger shoes on the bad boy.
    Hoping to trade someone my 27.5+ Wheels for 29" Wheels

Any advice for finding someone to swap wheelsets?
    I'd prefer to go the trade route vs buy and sell

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by tnorcal View Post
    Hey All!
    Sorry to be spammy.
    I'm currently set up with a 2017 27.5+ Timberjack GX1 and am looking to put some bigger shoes on the bad boy.
    Hoping to trade someone my 27.5+ Wheels for 29" Wheels

Any advice for finding someone to swap wheelsets?
    I'd prefer to go the trade route vs buy and sell
    Try Pink Bike Buy/Sell market.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    "Yes if you have boost rear spacing a 32 tooth chrain ring is the maximum you can use. If you have the 141 QR rear 30T is the max"

Nyet, comrade. The chainring limits re: Boost vs Non are not in regards to rear hub. Direct mount Chainrings come in different offsets. 6mm offset is non-boost. 3 mm offset boost. So a 6mm offset chainring needs to be 30T or less according to Salsa. A 3mm offset ring can go as High as 32T.

Phwigh: 141QR is boost spacing, but in a QR format. A Hope boost 148 rear hub with QR end caps is 141.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I have a Timberjack SLX with the 11 speed, 11-46 cassette. Is it possible to change the 11 tooth cog to 10 tooth or do I have to buy a new cassette? If thats not possible, is it a big deal to replace the 11 speed cassette with a 12 speed 10-51?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by landshark77 View Post
    I have a Timberjack SLX with the 11 speed, 11-46 cassette. Is it possible to change the 11 tooth cog to 10 tooth or do I have to buy a new cassette? If thats not possible, is it a big deal to replace the 11 speed cassette with a 12 speed 10-51?
    The HG free hub canít take a 10 tooth cog.

The smallest is the 11 you already have. To get a 10 tooth, both SRAM and Shimano made new free hub body standards, XD and Microspline respectively.

If you want the new SLX 12 speed cassette, youíll need to swap your HG freehub to a Microspline one. But then youíll also want to replace the rest of the drivetrain to shimano 12 speed to actually make it work...

I swapped one of my bikes to XT 12 speed a few weeks ago, love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    anyone ever put a 180mm rotor on the rear? Did you need any type of adapter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    anyone ever put a 180mm rotor on the rear? Did you need any type of adapter?
    You want to get a new rear IS brake adapter for 180mm rotors.

Something like this:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-18...-Brake-Adaptor

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    You want to get a new rear IS brake adapter for 180mm rotors.

Something like this:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-18...-Brake-Adaptor
    Awesome. Thank you

jcd's best friend
    Seeing I can't leave well enough alone, I am having a custom 27.5+ wheel set built. My bike shop hooked me up though! Using their own specs, they developed custom road and MTB rims and build custom wheels for customers using these rims. It's pretty cool. Last year, they built a really strong road bike wheelset for my old Trek Emonda. I've since sold the Emonda to cover home repairs but I kept the custom wheels.

I told my shop that I want to have a custom 27.5+ wheel set built to take a beating so they did me a big favor. They let me trade in my old road bike wheels (only 100 miles on them) and in return, they will build me a 27.5+ wheelset for me. So in essence, they doing a 1 for 1 trade. They will either sell my old wheels or use them for one of their bike build projects.

They are going to build up a set of Race Face ARC 40 Offset rims with DT Swiss 350 hubs. I should have the wheels by end of month. They have a long wheel build queue right now due to all the bike mania. They also built my custom wheels for my e-gravel bike too. For my e-gravel bike, they used their custom in-house aluminum rim and installed DT Swiss 350 hubs.

I already installed the 54T Star Ratchet upgrade in my 29er wheel set. I may pop that out and install it into my custom 27.5 wheel set instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I really like my AR25 wheels on my gravel bike so the ARC40 should be even better for a plus. Really thinking about going that route(well maybe AR40 to save a little) too as those feel better than WTB options imho.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Are you planning on throwing on 2.8 or 3.0 tires?
    Paul

mtbr member
    I got the Arc 40s with dt hubs too... good choice
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Millennial29erGuy View Post
    I got the Arc 40s with dt hubs too... good choice
    Awesome! My 29er wheelset is ARC 30 with DT Swiss 350 and 54T ratchet upgrade. I like how it feels on the trail but I prefer to ride on big 3" tires instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchman83 View Post
    Are you planning on throwing on 2.8 or 3.0 tires?
    I'm sticking with my 3" tires. I really like my Teravail Coronado tires. Very fast flowing and rides great! They gave me a winter tire option for my front tire because it rains a lot in the PNW during winter. My shop recommended a Surly Dirt Wizard to swap out my Coronado on the front wheel. I'll probably grab one in fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

stock raceface crank clicking noise

Got my 2019 Deore 27.5+ last month for a unbeatable price (Canadian $1150), very happy with it so far, did some change on it, swap out dropper post, put more aggressive front tire for better turn in and converted to tubeless. Those accounted for 2lbs save from stock.
    Just on my last ride, there is a creaking sound from the raceface crank. It always have a click sound when my right foot was at 2 o'clock position doing down stroke. re-tighting crank bolts, cassette, and swap out peddle and the noise was still here. Anyone have the same problem that able to share how you slove it? Thanks in advance

and links to the clicking sound
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9nz88DEH4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-screenshot_20200609-194419.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bensonc View Post
    Got my 2019 Deore 27.5+ last month for a unbeatable price (Canadian $1150), very happy with it so far, did some change on it, swap out dropper post, put more aggressive front tire for better turn in and converted to tubeless. Those accounted for 2lbs save from stock.
    Just on my last ride, there is a creaking sound from the raceface crank. It always have a click sound when my right foot was at 2 o'clock position doing down stroke. re-tighting crank bolts, cassette, and swap out peddle and the noise was still here. Anyone have the same problem that able to share how you slove it? Thanks in advance

and links to the clicking sound
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9nz88DEH4
    Maybe try pulling the cranks and greasing the bottom bracket and cranks before re installing them?

2019 salsa timberjack

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by ral1121 View Post
    Maybe try pulling the cranks and greasing the bottom bracket and cranks before re installing them?

This! Sometimes it's your external bottom bracket making noises. Cleaning it out is a start.

My OEM Race Face BB was so loud. I only put 10 miles on it and it sounded like I was walking on a creaky floorboards. I switched it out for a Shimano XT BB and the noise went away for 100+ miles. My Shimano bracket eventually developed a very light squeak noise but it's way better than the RF BB!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the tips, because I don't have crank puller and bb socket, I took the bike back to the store I bought it and they found the problems was lose crank lock ring. Grease and reinstall everything. Hope it could be trouble free for longer period of time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks for the tips, because I don't have crank puller and bb socket, I took the bike back to the store I bought it and they found the problems was lose crank lock ring. Grease and reinstall everything. Hope it could be trouble free for longer period of time.
    park tools has a set of compounds that fill the gaps in the cinch interface.RC-1 and AP-1

jcd's best friend
    Great catch! I actually had this happen on my 2x chainring gravel bike too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

My 2017 TJ

After, numerous changes and experiments, Itís almost perfect!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-2b6c35bb-2fea-4f2a-905b-9791ed3dfdf5.jpeg  

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    Man that looks amazing! I love the color scheme!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    That looks like a beast! What bags and water bottle cage do you have on there?
    Paul

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchman83 View Post
    That looks like a beast! What bags and water bottle cage do you have on there?
    Wild man bike phone bag from amazon. This is my second one and the zipper is going bad. I donít recommend it.

Profile KA1 water bottle cage. Itís plastic, but very sturdy. I use a Zefal Magnum bottle which holds 33ozís. You can find both on eBay.

I have a mini pump mounted on the seat stay water bottle mounts.

Awesome strap under the seat with co2, tube, & tire levers.

jcd's best friend

Timberjack Thread

Hey peeps! I swapped out my Race Face Ride crank for an Atlas (68-73 version). The BB shell is 73mm and the bottom bracket instructions say to only use a spacer on the drive side. When I did that, I had a huge gap on the non-drive side with the spindle sticking out. The lock ring wasnít able to take up the space. I ended up installing a spacer on the non-drive side bottom bracket to take up the space.

If you guys go with an Atlas, you may need to use a spacer on each side of the BB during installation. Other than that, this crank feels solid when pedaling on the trail!

Oh and I picked up this nifty device called Chainlift. It pushes back your derailleur and lifts your chain to make rear wheel removal and installation so much easier. Itís on sale for Fatherís Day and they are offering $2 Fedex 2 day shipping too.

I also love the fact that it keeps tension on my chain so itís not dangling on the frame. I used to use a Radio Shack solder spindle and my rear axle to hold my chain up when my back wheel was gonna be off for a while.

NedwannaB
    Anyone try a dropbar setup say the Woodchopper's on these? Have a TJ frame, not trying to make a Cutthroat, just curious.
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Got my Timberjack and swapping out the tires. Previous owner tried to run the stocks tubeless when they arenít tubeless tires.

Has anyone ran 2.6 tires on their 27.5 Timberjack? Iím a newbie and honestly probably wonít tell the difference but my small local guy only carryís Maxxis tires and he can get 2.6 forekaster or 3.0 chronicle.

Thoughts??

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunk View Post
    Got my Timberjack and swapping out the tires. Previous owner tried to run the stocks tubeless when they arenít tubeless tires.

Has anyone ran 2.6 tires on their 27.5 Timberjack? Iím a newbie and honestly probably wonít tell the difference but my small local guy only carryís Maxxis tires and he can get 2.6 forekaster or 3.0 chronicle.

Thoughts??
    Depends on your local trails. The Forekaster tire is mostly an aggressive XC tire. It will roll fast and give you good grip. According to the Maxxis website, the Chronicle is only for 29+ applications. Those won't work on your bike. If you are considering the Forekaster, I recommend asking the question in your state MTB forum (here on MTBR) to see if it's a good choice for your area. If not, they can give you good tire advice.

mtbr member

Thoughts??
    I just swapped to Maxxis Rekon 27.5x2.8's. They kinda split the difference between them. I highly recommend them.

He should be able to order them, heck REI just had a sale $52 a piece!
    Salsa Timberjack GX (2018)

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Price must have gone up as I am seeing it for $68 now at REI.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Depends which year.

The 2017/18 i23 rims weigh almost as much as the i40s.

2019/20 use newer generation i29s for the 29ers.

Hence my willingness to donate the i23s.
    My is a 2019 Decore 27.5, weighted them with my wife digital kitchen scale when I convert to tubeless. Should be petty acurate. All stock parts on, Rotor F180/R160, Shimano 11-42 10s cassette, and QR.

--------Stock Tubeless
    Front 2450g 2198g swap tire to Michelin Wild AM 2.8)
    Rear 3150g 2840g (running tubeless with stock wtb non tubeless ranger 2.8)

mtbr member
    800 miles on the TJ and Tandell fork and going strong!
    IMG_4345 by driverfound337, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is anyone running the timberjack with a 2X drivetrain?

I'm wondering how large of an inner chainring you can get away with. The official answer is 24T but I can't believe that's possibly the largest that would fit due to the chainstays (I'm not worried about tire width)

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I have a 26t and a 28t on 104 setups. Pretty sure the BB/Axle spacing is normal. No boost funkiness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have a 26t and a 28t on 104 setups. Pretty sure the BB/Axle spacing is normal. No boost funkiness.
    104 meaning on a 1x setup, or on the inner ring of a 2X setup?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Sorry. 104/64 setup. Traditional 3 ring. I run 1 with 36/32/28 and one 34/30/26. I would ditch the mid range, but chain is too long for small/small and too short for large/large chainring/cog combos. With my setups, I gotta be very mindful of what chainring I am in. No front derailleur and narrow wide rings make panic shifting impossible in the front. Panic shifting in the back to a large/large could rip my derailleur off. So for mindless riding with few extremes, I run the mid-range rings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Sorry. 104/64 setup. Traditional 3 ring. I run 1 with 36/32/28 and one 34/30/26. I would ditch the mid range, but chain is too long for small/small and too short for large/large chainring/cog combos. With my setups, I gotta be very mindful of what chainring I am in. No front derailleur and narrow wide rings make panic shifting impossible in the front. Panic shifting in the back to a large/large could rip my derailleur off. So for mindless riding with few extremes, I run the mid-range rings.
    ah, good deal! and i think that 3x setups actually put the inner ring even further toward the bike than 2x inner rings, so it sounds like i would be totally fine running a 28/38T 2x drivetrain

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thoughts??
    2.6 (many of which measure more like 2.5) in a 27.5 is arguably too small for the TJ.

3.0 Chronicles in 27.5 fit fine, and provide a lot of tire volume. But they self-steer a bit, so not my first choice for trail use. For bikepacking they are great, and durable.

Your dealer can get 27.5 Maxxis Rekons in 2.8.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Looking to upgrade my WTB Ranger 27.5+ x 2.8 tires to tubeless. Since I ride both on road and trails on the weekends what is a good mixed usage tire choice? I'm located in South Florida and ride the typical trials here ie: Markham Park

mtbr member
    Is anyone running a 32 oval ring on a Timberjack? Does the largest section clear the chainstay?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    Is anyone running a 32 oval ring on a Timberjack? Does the largest section clear the chainstay?
    Yes and yes. I have something like 1mm of crank spindle spacers on the driveside of the crank in order to get the chainline i want. However it clears the chainstay without that spacer. No spacers on the bottom bracket shell. I am using Rotor Hawk cranks and Rotor BSA 30 bb FWIW.

I can post some pics later if you need

jcd's best friend
    I ordered a set of Magura MT Trail brakes and it's trapped in customs hell. I ordered them from Merlin Cycles and it's now chilling out in Los Angeles the last 7 days. I got them for $170 for the set rather than $280 here in the US. For some reason, everyone is going brake crazy and most of the local and online shops are running out of brake sets for sale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! TJ issue(s) - Need Help

Hello, fellow TJ riders.
    I'm few to the biking, so don't bite my head off for not knowing the right terms, etc. - I'm eager to learn it, though.
    Anyways, my TJ Deore 27.5 is an year old, but I'm dealing with two issues with it here (or two indicators of the same issue).
    Yesterday, I noticed that the rear wheel has started wobbling a bit. The hub does not seem to be bent, no damage has been made to the bike. I'm more of a weekend rider.
    Today, I started noticing some distinctive knockings when it's on the gears 3 through 7.
    Please let me know if you need more information to diagnose the problem.
    I think it is still under warranty, but I'd like to use your expertise here to at least be able to explain the issue to the Salsa warranty folks if needed.

Thank you for your help!

NedwannaB
    I ordered a set of Magura MT Trail brakes and it's trapped in customs hell. I ordered them from Merlin Cycles and it's now chilling out in Los Angeles the last 7 days. I got them for $170 for the set rather than $280 here in the US. For some reason, everyone is going brake crazy and most of the local and online shops are running out of brake sets for sale.
    Good to know. Just saw a set of rotors on their site was going to order some for my build but don't need to wait that long in customs.
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Good to know. Just saw a set of rotors on their site was going to order some for my build but don't need to wait that long in customs.
    Just to add a contradictory example . . . I ordered SLX 12s stuff from Merlin last Friday, and it arrived today. 5 days from order placed to on my doorstep.

This was w/ the DHL Express shippinng, which is free w/ $350-400-ish orders, but may be pricey for a couple rotors. The lesser shipping option might have been the culprit w/ @Battery's delay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Dang that price for the MT Trail Sport is great & I like how how Magura rotors are a little thicker at 2mm vs Shimano & SRAM.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Just got lucky! The brakes deliver today! Out of nowhere it magically appeared in my neck of the woods after 7 days in customs hell. Basically it took 14 days from date of order to arrive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirider View Post
    Hello, fellow TJ riders.
    I'm few to the biking, so don't bite my head off for not knowing the right terms, etc. - I'm eager to learn it, though.
    Anyways, my TJ Deore 27.5 is an year old, but I'm dealing with two issues with it here (or two indicators of the same issue).
    Yesterday, I noticed that the rear wheel has started wobbling a bit. The hub does not seem to be bent, no damage has been made to the bike. I'm more of a weekend rider.
    Today, I started noticing some distinctive knockings when it's on the gears 3 through 7.
    Please let me know if you need more information to diagnose the problem.
    I think it is still under warranty, but I'd like to use your expertise here to at least be able to explain the issue to the Salsa warranty folks if needed.

Thank you for your help!
    Wirider,
    It sounds like your rear wheel needs to be trued if it's got a wobble in it. Truing a wheel is not an easy thing to do, so it would probably be best to let the local shop handle that for you.

Also, as far as the knocking noise in gears 3-7 goes, it sounds like your shifter cable has stretched a little and the rear derailer needs to be adjusted.

Those are both pretty easy, basic fixes for a bike mechanic that has the right tools. I would think the local shop could handle this for you under warranty. I know my shop fixes issues like what you're experiencing for free for a year after the purchase.

A salsa warranty is only going to cover the frame. IF you didn't buy this bike from a dealer and are looking for help from Salsa, good luck. Neither the wheel or the drivetrain are Salsa products, so I doubt they'll fix them for free. If you didn't buy this bike from a local shop and don't have a local Salsa dealer nearby that is covering these issues for you, I wouldn't think it would cost too awful much for any bicycle repair shop to fix these issues. Hope it all gets worked out for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I have the Maxxis Rekons in 2.8 and really enjoy them.
    Paul

jcd's best friend
    Just installed my Magura MT Trail Sport brakes with Storm rotors! The front brake has a lot of stopping power once I bed everything in. I tried Magura's method to trim brake cables without the need to bleed. It actually worked! I was kind of surprised by that one. I'm used to bleeding my brakes after cutting a brake line but I didn't have to do it these brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    How are you liking the rotor so far?

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    How are you liking the rotor so far?
    Not sure yet. I haven't taken the bike on the trail. I am meeting up with a fellow military veteran/new MTB rider tomorrow morning so I'll give these brakes and rotors a good test.

I'm having a lot of joint inflammation right now so I can't get out and ride. I found out today from my doctor that my joint pains are most likely due to nightshade vegetables. I ate a ton of them last night for dinner so it explains why my hands and knees are killing me right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Im looking to switch from 29 to 27.5. Looking at the rear wheel 12x148. What hardware for the drop out will I need and where can I get them. Not having any luck. Front will be 15x110. I have a 2019 Salsa Timberjack

Ed

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed7842 View Post
    Im looking to switch from 29 to 27.5. Looking at the rear wheel 12x148. What hardware for the drop out will I need and where can I get them. Not having any luck. Front will be 15x110. I have a 2019 Salsa Timberjack

Ed
    Are your current dropouts 12x148?

If they are, you donít need any new hardware. As far as I know, all 2019 TJís shipped with 12x148 dropouts, except the Deore version.

So, if you happen to not have 12x148 drop outs, youíll need new alternator dropouts, thru axle, wheels and tires.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed7842 View Post

Ed

Edit - What Frank said!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Just installed my Magura MT Trail Sport brakes with Storm rotors! The front brake has a lot of stopping power once I bed everything in. I tried Magura's method to trim brake cables without the need to bleed. It actually worked! I was kind of surprised by that one. I'm used to bleeding my brakes after cutting a brake line but I didn't have to do it these brakes.
    Nice!

How is the modulation with the new brakes?

jcd's best friend
    Nice!

How is the modulation with the new brakes?
    Honestly, they feel more like Shimano brakes. If you are used to XT brakes being very grabby, then the 4 piston Magura front caliper will feel quite similar. The rear is a 2 piston and it seems to feather out pretty good but I only tried it on the street for now.

I finally got away from that annoying Shimano MT400 "tick" when I was braking with the front brake. One of the pads would make a single loud tick noise when I grabbed my front brake. Come to find out, one of the pads was loose fitting in the caliper despite the fact it was properly installed with the pin and everything.

One thing I love about the 4 piston Magura caliper is that the pads are magnetic. No pin needed to secure it. Just install them and you are done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Honestly, they feel more like Shimano brakes. If you are used to XT brakes being very grabby, then the 4 piston Magura front caliper will feel quite similar. The rear is a 2 piston and it seems to feather out pretty good but I only tried it on the street for now.

I finally got away from that annoying Shimano MT400 "tick" when I was braking with the front brake. One of the pads would make a single loud tick noise when I grabbed my front brake. Come to find out, one of the pads was loose fitting in the caliper despite the fact it was properly installed with the pin and everything.

One thing I love about the 4 piston Magura caliper is that the pads are magnetic. No pin needed to secure it. Just install them and you are done.
    Good to hear that you seem to like them so far. I run M8000 XTís on both my mountain bikes, so Iím very used to them. Iím contemplating the new 4 pot versions for my Jet 9 RDO, that might turn into a Revel Rascal pretty soon...

Iíve been hitting some more demanding downhills recently and I would like to run something more powerful, at least out front.

I messed around on my buddies bike last week and he has the Shimano Zee brakes on his, they were awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    What other bikes did you look at before going Timberjack? My gavel bike was stolen at the shop it was at. Not sure how much I am getting, but it might be enough to get a base TJ. Really thinking about converting my Beyond+(27.5+) to a drop bar & have the TJ as my mtb. Nearly ordered one, but price & rareness swayed me. Kind of thinking of 29x2.6 but how does that effect the sizing of a M vs 27.5+?

jcd's best friend
    I messed around on my buddies bike last week and he has the Shimano Zee brakes on his, they were awesome.
    I'm actually used to riding SRAM Code R brakes on my previous bikes. I had 4 piston front and rear. Stopping power was great and seeing it was SRAM, I could feather out the brakes pretty good when needed. The only odd issue is that my Code R brakes would make this weird "turkey call" noise when the pads were wet and I applied the brakes. It was the oddest noise and it cracked me up.

If you want to stop on a dime and have a front brake that can grab, you can't go wrong with Magura.

What other bikes did you look at before going Timberjack? My gavel bike was stolen at the shop it was at. Not sure how much I am getting, but it might be enough to get a base TJ. Really thinking about converting my Beyond+(27.5+) to a drop bar & have the TJ as my mtb. Nearly ordered one, but price & rareness swayed me. Kind of thinking of 29x2.6 but how does that effect the sizing of a M vs 27.5+?
    Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen. Personally, I thought about the Surly Wednesday, Diamondback Sync'r, Specialized Fuse, and a Whyte 905 on the hardcore side. At 5'11" tall, I was sized to a medium TJ and there isn't much of a difference in feel and size when switching my wheel set between 29x2.4" wheels/tires and my 27.5x3" wheels/tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Standover height didn't change much for you? I am between 5ft 8'' & 9" with a 32 inseam so I am wondering about standover.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I looked at the Transition Vanquish and the Orbea Laufy. I also looked at some Ragley and Nukeproof frames. I ended up going TJ for the alternator dropouts and shorter chainstays. 29x2.6 feels a bit taller to me than 27.5x2.8. But only a bit. My wife is 5'7-8" and she likes her Pike 130mm/29x2.5s. Her roadie is a 2017 TJ with 43c Gravel Flings and the og Manitou 120 fork. After riding back to back a bit, she prefers the position the 2.5s put her in, to the point she rides the 2.5 EhLines on the bike path until we can get the shop to put a Wolftooth +10 lower on it. After that, we'll see if tires size feels different to her. For a bit of extreme context, my 11 year old is 4' 10" and can ride a Md TJ, but only barely and it is defo too big. But it's doable.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Medium TJ with 50c Gravel Flings and a 130 Fox 34. 58.5". 29" Inseam. Dropper is fully collapsed, but post is raised about 1.5" off collar. She can't quite do both feet tiptoes, but leaning one way, she can handle it. She currently rides a small Fargo. She demo'd TJs in Xs and a Sm at 4'8" and chose the small. Asked me to raise her dropper up at about 4'10" on her small. My shop dude is 5"8" and sold his Md for a Lg, but wishes for more standover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-gwen.jpg  

jcd's best friend
    Standover height didn't change much for you? I am between 5ft 8'' & 9" with a 32 inseam so I am wondering about standover.
    Honestly? I didn't see any difference in standover.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thank you two for the reply. Still decing what route to go but a TJ is temping. Will have to see what insurance quotes me & go from there.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Also, and it's a moot point if you are getting a 2020 as they all come tubeless, but if you are getting a 2019 Deore or SLX, the stock 27.5 Rangers are actually useable. Easy rolling and the only place I had issues was gravel over hardpack. They were defo not that grippy, but in a very predictable way. The stock 29x2.6 Trail Boss comps, however, were awful. Like riding in lumpy mashed potatoes on the trail and molasses on the road. Some people think they are just fine, I am told. I am not one of them. If you'll be upgrading tires right away, wheel size is more debateable. But if the bike purchase is already maxing out your budget for a while, and you have the option, I recommend a 27.5x2.8.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hey guys I'm new here. I have a lovely 2018 nx build that I've thrown a fox float factory 34 130mm, pnw bachelor dropper, raceface chester pedals and slx brakes on. Im interested in going with a carbon wheelset for my 27.5+ but im not sure what alternator dropouts and axle to buy. Any insight? Pretty damn sure this bike came 135qr? Both wheelsets are quick release that I have for it

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    The 2 2017 NXs we got both came 141 QR. Pretty sure none of the Timberjacks came 135.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Okay so maybe it is 141qr. What alternator plates and through axle do I need to purchase to go 12x148 boost TA? I want a new wheelset this season. I wish I had the capacity to wait for the off season but I ride too much not to think about it🤣

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    You want fender mounts?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    The 12x142 plates are actually 148 on TJs.

Left Swing Plate Thru Axle
    Right Swing Plate Maxle

12x1.75x180 Thru Axle of your choice.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=51355

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    No I don't want a rack, just 12x148 boost spacing and through axle.

Id also love to sell my 27.5+ and 29 wheelset to any folks interested set up for 15x110/141qr once I get this done

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I'm aboht to click order on this stuff. Just to reiterate, the frame geometry on our bikes means that the 12x142 plates are actually boost 148?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    For our hope wheels we just changed the TA end caps on the boost rear to their QRs, which gave us 141QR.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Yes. TJs use Alternator reduction plates to get to 135QR/142TA.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I want to buy dyc carbon wheels with pro 4 hubs but id prefer to run through axle opposed to quick release in the future. The hubs on both of my wheelsets currently are not convertible and I would prefer a more universal wheelset for future bikes or for sale purposes

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    When Alternators first came out, Salsa frames were spaced 135/142 rear. TJS and current gen Fargos use 141/148. The plates are the same.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I kinda regret saving the Benjamins on the XT hubs. The Hope hub options are nice. I also wish I would have gone with 100 spaced front hub and a better boost kit. Lots of used 15x100 forks out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The 2 2017 NXs we got both came 141 QR. Pretty sure none of the Timberjacks came 135.
    I thought the 2017 29er NX models had the boost reduction plates and 135qr stock wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTJ View Post
    I'm aboht to click order on this stuff. Just to reiterate, the frame geometry on our bikes means that the 12x142 plates are actually boost 148?
    These parts will work. You should be able to easily determine if you currently have boost reduction plates . . . they are a 3mm plate between the frame and the Alternator dropout. If you do have them, just leave them aside when you re-assemble w/ the new Alternators.

One potential gotcha: you'll need shorter bolts if you (a) currently have reduction plates, and (b) the new plates don't ship w/ the necessary bolts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Couldn't be happier to find this out. Thank you for replying with such quickness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    You guys are great. I don't have reduction plates they are 141qr rn. I bought the plates ilmfat recommended and a wolftooth axle. Now to grab wheels.

Is anyone interested in a 27.5plus or 29 wheelset? I'll probably sell both of them when my wheels come in

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    "I thought the 2017 29er NX models had the boost reduction plates and 135qr stock wheels."

Oh snap. I just remembered ours are the 2018 Blue. I've no idea what the 2017s were. I know Joe has a 2017. He'll likely chime in eventually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    "I thought the 2017 29er NX models had the boost reduction plates and 135qr stock wheels."

Oh snap. I just remembered ours are the 2018 Blue. I've no idea what the 2017s were. I know Joe has a 2017. He'll likely chime in eventually.
    My bike doesn't have the reduction plate but it sounds like it will work either way. I ordered my carbon hope pro 4 wheelset last night too. Ill have to figure out how to post pictures when I get them on the bike

mtbr member

Pretty sure that's what mine came with. The QR plates and the boost reduction plates.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Luckily I'm well accustomed to admitting I was wrong.

Speaking of which, I'm too lazy to go back and comb the thread, displaying my hypocrisy, which I am also fine with.

Anyone here running 3" tires on 29mm wide rims? The youngest HenchLady and I both like Rangers, her more than Gravel Flings, even. I have some Flows and am wondering if 3.0 Rangers will ride okay on em.

Just Ride!

Speaking of which, I'm too lazy to go back and comb the thread, displaying my hypocrisy, which I am also fine with.

Anyone here running 3" tires on 29mm wide rims? The youngest HenchLady and I both like Rangers, her more than Gravel Flings, even. I have some Flows and am wondering if 3.0 Rangers will ride okay on em.
    First let me say I am not running these on a TJ. I do however run WTB 29x3.0 Rangers on WTB Asym i29 rims tubeless and they work, but in my opinion, not ideal. I think that the i29 width make them too round of a profile. I say that because when you hit that psi sweet spot that gives incredible climbing traction and good cushion, they get bouncy. This might be eliminated with tire inserts like CushCore or Nukeproof ARD, but I have not tried them. My next tire choice for these rims are going to be Teravail 29x2.6 Kennebec front and Honcho rear.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, yo.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Built this up about a month ago, really enjoying it.

Timberjack Thread-tj2.jpg
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member

I don't but I think that rim would be too narrow... just my 2 cents. I got 3" tires on 40mm rims

jcd's best friend
    I don't but I think that rim would be too narrow... just my 2 cents. I got 3" tires on 40mm rims
    Same here! My 27.5 Race Face ARC40 / DT Swiss 350 wheels should be complete by this weekend so I can replace my stock WTB wheels. I can't imagine what a 3" tire on a 29mm rim would feel like on the trail. Most people run up to 2.4" tires on 29mm inner width rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm sad I moved from i46 to i40 on my 3.0 tires, 29mm would be terrible

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    EhLines it is. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TJ2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	499.3 KB 
ID:	1343887
    Hell yeah

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post

Name:	TJ2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	499.3 KB 
ID:	1343887
    Thatís filthy. Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

jcd's best friend
    A few days ago, I heard random ticking noises coming from my back wheel. I haven't ridden since then but I found out my OEM back wheel had 3 really loose spokes. I know loose spokes happen every now and then but I wasn't expecting 3 of them to come loose.

Luckily my new wheels will be ready soon

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Just confirmed, 3/4 people in our fam prefer mid-fats over Gravel Flings for bike path riding. 2 votes for EhLines, 2 votes for Rangers, And 1 vote for Ikons. (I voted all 3.) "Sure the Flings are noticeably faster and lighter, but not drastically so." "The Eh Lines have 90% the speed, much better ride." I even pumped my 27.5x2.8 Rekons up around 20, and now they roll much better, but still significantly less easily than Flings. If I were a more aggressive trail rider and wanted meatier tread, I would likely have 50c Flings on my roadie. But after playing with various wheel/tire sizes and various tires, My townie is gonna be a carbon rigid TJ with 27.5x3.0 Rangers on Barons running 34/13 SS and I'll stick with Rekons on Spank 350s on the trail. We'll see if I keep the sus fork for the trail or end up getting Walt to build me a long boosted one.
    Last edited by ilmfat; 1 Week Ago at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Been following this thread and riding my MD 2017 GX1 TJ for a few years now. Would buy another in a heartbeat. Just added a PNW 125 dropper and ready for some more changes, would like to get a shorter stem and shorter cranks...

Any recommendations for a simple and low budget 170mm 30t crank swap option? Options considered so far:

-New Praxis Cadet (A bit pricey comparatively maybe?)
    -Race face Aeffect (would need new BB, 24mm spindle ok?)
    -SRAM GX (would need new BB, DUB or no?)

Looks like I will need a new 30t chainring for all

Anything obvious I'm missing? Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Anyone else ever find a crack in their frame? Noticed the other week, and took it to the LBS. Salsa will be replacing it. Just curious if anyone else has came across this.

Timberjack Thread-crack-frame.jpg

jcd's best friend
    Anyone else ever find a crack in their frame? Noticed the other week, and took it to the LBS. Salsa will be replacing it. Just curious if anyone else has came across this.
    I remember you posting this photo in the TJ Facebook group. Is the warranty replacement still in work? I checked my frame just to be safe and didn't see anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I remember you posting this photo in the TJ Facebook group. Is the warranty replacement still in work? I checked my frame just to be safe and didn't see anything.
    Yep, LBS called Saturday, and Salsa is sending a new frame.

Thought for sure it would take a while with the bike shortages.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Aaaaaaaaaand now I have to check 8 bikes. Crap.

NM. Promax crank is 68mm BB specific.

jcd's best friend
    Yep, LBS called Saturday, and Salsa is sending a new frame.

Thought for sure it would take a while with the bike shortages.
    Did they say whether it's a pink replacement frame? We pink guys gotta represent!

ilmfat
    Mar 2007

And they say magic isn't real.

My email must be enchanted. Sent it back 9 days to get the ball rolling sooner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-wait.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Did they say whether it's a pink replacement frame? We pink guys gotta represent!
    Unfortunately the replacement is going to be black.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Better than a cracked rib. (Ima now show off that I learned to post videos.)

Though, I will admit your black frame won't heal back to pink, so, I think you win.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    ^ How badly were you hurt?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    My rib broke. I think to save my shoulder. It was just the one and it was right at the bottom tip of my shoulder blade. Healing was rough, but once I was back on the bike, pain eased and mobility increased quickly. I still waited 6 weeks to get risky, but was on the bike path after 4. The front of my shoulder still hurts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myrtleh View Post
    Been following this thread and riding my MD 2017 GX1 TJ for a few years now. Would buy another in a heartbeat. Just added a PNW 125 dropper and ready for some more changes, would like to get a shorter stem and shorter cranks...

Any recommendations for a simple and low budget 170mm 30t crank swap option? Options considered so far:

-New Praxis Cadet (A bit pricey comparatively maybe?)
    -Race face Aeffect (would need new BB, 24mm spindle ok?)
    -SRAM GX (would need new BB, DUB or no?)

Looks like I will need a new 30t chainring for all

Anything obvious I'm missing? Thanks for any help!
    My 2017 TJ came with a Praxis crankset and chainring that caused a lot of chainsuck. Does yours have the Praxis crank and do you experience that? I ended up buying a new crankset for that reason.

Can't go wrong with a GX crank. Raceface Affect and Turbine are great options too. Yes get the DUB boost version of the crank and BB if you end up going SRAM.

mtbr member
    My rib broke.
    Glad youre OK!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My 2017 TJ came with a Praxis crankset and chainring that caused a lot of chainsuck. Does yours have the Praxis crank and do you experience that? I ended up buying a new crankset for that reason.

Can't go wrong with a GX crank. Raceface Affect and Turbine are great options too. Yes get the DUB boost version of the crank and BB if you end up going SRAM.
    Thanks! Yes mine did come with the Praxis and it is awfully noisy but seems to ride ok, maybe I've just gotten used to it. I assume you went with the GX Dub cranks? Are you still running the 30t chainring and do you know what offset please?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hey guys I'm selling my 29er wheelset. These are perfect for you guys with a rockshox front fork and 141qr boost alternator plates. I am going to a carbon wheelset. Wtb i29 st wheels with wtb ranger 2x2.25 tires. Tubeless already. 180/160mm rotors and 11-42 11 speed cassette included. $350 or best offer shipped.

I would post them in the for sale ad but they are catered specifically to a timberjack, really.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324214312194

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myrtleh View Post
    Thanks! Yes mine did come with the Praxis and it is awfully noisy but seems to ride ok, maybe I've just gotten used to it. I assume you went with the GX Dub cranks? Are you still running the 30t chainring and do you know what offset please?
    I got a Rotor Hawk crankset and use 32 and 30 depending on where im riding. Looks like the gx crankset comes with a 32 tooth ring as standard. Raceface Aeffect might be a better option because you can buy the arms and chainring separately. Bike shop would be able to order it for you.

Generally you will need 3mm offset chainrings for Boost 148 frames. 6mm offset is for non-boost and 0mm offset is for "superboost"

2OFME
    Sep 2006

Solstice Ride

I ended up doing 132 miles of pavement, gravel and singltrack on my TJ for a Solstice Ride on the 20th. Bike performed well for the most part. Spent well over 4 hours in the rain and the shifting was less than ideal towards the end. Turning off the clutch on the derailleur helped.
    wrote about it here:
    http://www.onoffrhodes.com/2020/06/2...mmer-solstice/

Timberjack Thread-50030167298_930727aa38_z.jpg

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes View Post
    I ended up doing 132 miles of pavement, gravel and singltrack on my TJ for a Solstice Ride on the 20th. Bike performed well for the most part. Spent well over 4 hours in the rain and the shifting was less than ideal towards the end. Turning off the clutch on the derailleur helped.
    wrote about it here:
    www.onoffrhodes.com/2020/06/21/covid-19-wk-14-summer-solstice/
    Bike looks awesome! The adventure looked just as great too. How many calories did you ultimately burn on that ride? That had to have been really hard on you.

Thanks for sharing!

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Garmin says just shy of 4800 calories for the total ride. I went with the "steady Eddie" approach vs. hammer it obviously. I'll definitely pack more food next time and probably focus on more "real food".

mtbr member
    My Timberjack frameset came home this week and I ran into my first DIY issue. The Park Tool BBT-9 does not clear the chain stay for me to tighten the NDS of the bottom bracket. I had my LBS tighten it down for me, however I want to get a tool for the future. Looking at the Park BBT-69.2 or the Wolftooth tool. Anyone have experience with either of these on their Timberjacks? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have the park bbt79 for my bsa30 bottom bracket. I would recommend the park socket style ones

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I got the RF wrench and wish Ida gone socket type.

Glad youre OK!
    Me too. The HenchLadies were worried I'd be more messed up. I told em I was lucky and the Trail Gods were feeling gracious. Ima no longer be riding lead, as I tend to out ride my reflexes. Not that it's gonna do me any good. 9 year old is already as fast as I am going down. 11 year old could prolly keep up if she needed to, but likes to hang back. The Wife has gotten faster, but still takes it easy, so I been hiding behind her. I still haven't watched the video at the crash part. My buddy trolled me about the painful gasping.

mtbr member
    My email must be enchanted. Sent it back 9 days to get the ball rolling sooner.
    Fork for your Timberjack? What are you going with?

mtbr member
    wrote about it here:
    http://www.onoffrhodes.com/2020/06/2...mmer-solstice/

Name:	50030167298_930727aa38_z.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	1345481
    Great write up and epic adventure! I hope to tackle some things like this in my TJ also.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    Fork for your Timberjack? What are you going with?
    505mm 51 offset. Pretty sure his default is segmented. I hope so. I have a couple Chinese carbon forks (BXT) off Ebay. $125 when I bought em. But they are only spaced for 15x100. None of the Ebay forks have boost above 490. I looked at the Tandell and the DIY forks. Decided I want a more balanced front end. And I been reading about Walt's work for over a decade. This winter Ima pull down some of the "road" wheels I been collecting and have the shop do up more Barons or ARC 40s on 100/148 Hopes for the BXT forks.

QR version is $150.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29er-27-5er...97.m4902.l9144

mtbr member
    Fortunately your BBT-9 is still not useless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_EkJ7Zbh2A

mtbr member
    505mm 51 offset. Pretty sure his default is segmented. I hope so. I have a couple Chinese carbon forks (BXT) off Ebay. $125 when I bought em. But they are only spaced for 15x100. None of the Ebay forks have boost above 490. I looked at the Tandell and the DIY forks. Decided I want a more balanced front end. And I been reading about Walt's work for over a decade. This winter Ima pull down some of the "road" wheels I been collecting and have the shop do up more Barons or ARC 40s on 100/148 Hopes for the BXT forks.

QR version is $150.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29er-27-5er...97.m4902.l9144
    Nice - canít wait for a review. I went with a Surly Krampus fork as it was inexpensive and readily available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Fortunately your BBT-9 is still not useless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_EkJ7Zbh2A

jcd's best friend
    Garmin says just shy of 4800 calories for the total ride. I went with the "steady Eddie" approach vs. hammer it obviously. I'll definitely pack more food next time and probably focus on more "real food".
    Crazy stuff! I typically perform my Strava Gran Fondo once a month and it takes me around 5 hours to complete 62 miles on my gravel bike. I've always had an elevated HR when exercising and I end up burning 5,000 calories by the time I get back home. When I ride any of my bikes, I'm usually in HR Zone 4 for the majority of my ride.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    Nice - canít wait for a review. I went with a Surly Krampus fork as it was inexpensive and readily available.
    Funny. I just spent last night looking for 2 Krampus forks. That Tangled up in blue looks plenty close to our 2018 Nx 29s. One is for the 11 year old's current small. The Md is her mom's second bike she decided she didn't need. If it were mine, I'd want the longer A to C. But that HenchLady's preferred ride is a Fargo anyways, so she is used to being hunched over. The lower A to C won't bother her. She won't ride it for a few years, but stock status has me thinking this run is almost over. I didn't wanna risk a color change.

Found a set of SRC Duroc 50 27.5s with 3.0 Rangers included on Craigslist. Unicorn F100/R148 spacing, even, so am back to running the BXT fork from above link. Just in time for camping this weekend. It'll see a decent amount of gravel and likely a bit of roots to test out the teeth rattling.

The white prolly ain't gonna stay on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-turglton.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Anyone here ever seen this on your TJ? Upgrading my wifeís 2018 nx1 tj with a new fork and wheels and when putting the headset back together there is a giant gap. It looks just like this thread over here where the consensus seems to be just that itís normal.... which is crazy if true and Iíve never noticed it. I can post more pics... I think I have it right though. Idk itís weird.

https://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-co...c-1084442.html

Timberjack Thread-4f66a9e8-59c4-4dfc-beb4-3692a4d2bfa5.jpg

Timberjack Thread-5abaeadf-f4b9-45ad-9ee1-b344fb1bf2ed.jpg

Timberjack Thread-22e0cff6-d38f-4606-b426-cfcb3503525d.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    It seems like the ďslip ringĒ, not sure if thatís the correct term, is not set all the way in.

Usually that slides into place as you tighten down the headset, but you should be able to push it down by hand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    The TJ is back to ďblacked outĒ. I pulled the Pike off the Jet 9 RDO and put it back on the TJ.

The Fox 34 Factory that was on the TJ is being put on the new Ibis Ripley frame thatís supposed to be delivered tomorrow!

Tomorrow night will be a night of whiskey and bike building!

Better double check the bolts before the first ride...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-17a15a6b-6ac0-4876-a5be-2a633fa5c76f.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Timberjack upper headset

I have a 2018 Salsa Timberjack, and need to replace the upper headset. The upper cup is deep and if you put a standard bearing in it sits very low in the upper cup, and needs a very tall compression ring to hold the top-cap spacer off the race. My compression ring is missing.

Is it possible to get a replacement for this, or would I need to replace the cup as well. If so what parts would I need?

See the attached photos that I found in another thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-img_3809.jpg  

Timberjack Thread-img_3810.jpg  

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I have so many headset parts, I lose track easily. So tend to just grab whatever I can get to work using micro shims between compression ring and top cap til it was working. Our bikes don't see much weather, so having a frankenset isn't a big deal to me. Any of the bikes with aftermarket headsets I keep track of those parts. But these various stock headsets just get patched up til it's time to get some bling. Some say I should not have such a messy work area. I say "should" is plethora in this realm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have so many headset parts, I lose track easily. So tend to just grab whatever I can get to work using micro shims between compression ring and top cap til it was working. Our bikes don't see much weather, so having a frankenset isn't a big deal to me. Any of the bikes with aftermarket headsets I keep track of those parts. But these various stock headsets just get patched up til it's time to get some bling. Some say I should not have such a messy work area. I say "should" is plethora in this realm.
    So if I just throw a Cane Creek bearing in there and shim it up, I will be fine? Any risk of damaging the frame (as long as there is some space between the top-cap and the head-tube).

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    From all the times I've had problems, I can tell you it is obvious when there is a problem. Near as I can tell, only issues would be contamination, but the stock setup clearly doesn't protect much either.

But, I didn't ACTUALLY stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so you may want other opinions.

mtbr member
    Could someone post a close-up of their IS-to-Post Mount adapter in the rear. I'm changing my brakes and for the life of me can't figure out how to get the mount adapter back on the caliper. It's driving me crazy

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Alboogie View Post
    Could someone post a close-up of their IS-to-Post Mount adapter in the rear. I'm changing my brakes and for the life of me can't figure out how to get the mount adapter back on the caliper. It's driving me crazy
    Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    It seems like the ďslip ringĒ, not sure if thatís the correct term, is not set all the way in.

Usually that slides into place as you tighten down the headset, but you should be able to push it down by hand.
    Maybe... I'll have to post more pictures, but it looks like its in exactly as designed. It's concave exactly where you would expect and there's no pushing the "slip ring" further as far as I can tell (it rests in the concave part of the top bearing spinny thing ;P).

mtbr member
    Hope this helps!

Yeah, I'm not crazy. I thought I was missing a washer or spacer but no. The LBS gave it to me with this generic IS-to-Post mount adapter that has no lettering or markings on it. I don't know how they got it on but I can't figure it out. I don't wanna go to the LBS for something so trivial so I just ordered a Shimano one since that's the brakes that I have.

Thank you for the fast response and the picture.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    So if I just throw a Cane Creek bearing in there and shim it up, I will be fine? Any risk of damaging the frame (as long as there is some space between the top-cap and the head-tube).
    That was my bike in the pictures you posted from another thread. Give Cane Creek a call. They were very helpful for me when I was trying to figure out the issue with the spacing between the top cap and the HS cup.

If I remember correctly, they told me the HS on the 2018 stock Timberjacks were the CC-5 headsets, which weren't compatible with any of the other headsets they make. They're basically a cheap headset that work OK. I don't remember 100%, but I think when I called them they told me they had stopped making those headsets. Not sure if they still have replacement parts on hand or not.

I wound up just replacing everything with a Cane Creek 40 headset. It wasn't very expensive or very difficult to install.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    That was my bike in the pictures you posted from another thread. Give Cane Creek a call. They were very helpful for me when I was trying to figure out the issue with the spacing between the top cap and the HS cup.

If I remember correctly, they told me the HS on the 2018 stock Timberjacks were the CC-5 headsets, which weren't compatible with any of the other headsets they make. They're basically a cheap headset that work OK. I don't remember 100%, but I think when I called them they told me they had stopped making those headsets. Not sure if they still have replacement parts on hand or not.

I wound up just replacing everything with a Cane Creek 40 headset. It wasn't very expensive or very difficult to install.
    Ahh thanks! So does that mean that the gap is ďnormalĒ. Also did you have to replace the headset cups or just the bearings and caps?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelandk2 View Post
    Ahh thanks! So does that mean that the gap is ďnormalĒ. Also did you have to replace the headset cups or just the bearings and caps?
    No problem. I was told the gap in the stock headset was normal. I also replaced the cups as well, just because. Did a complete headset overhaul.

jcd's best friend
    Got my Race Face ARC40 / DT Swiss 350 Hybrid wheels built up! I installed CushCore 27.5+ insert in the back wheel. Gotta swap over the front wheel after dinner.

Looks like my CushCore installation magic still works! Got it installed in 10 minutes with the tires mounted and aired up. I used CC many years ago and it was so worth the install. Canít wait to give it a shot with plus tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Damn that looks beefy! I need to save up to go AR or ARC40.

jcd's best friend
    Damn that looks beefy! I need to save up to go AR or ARC40.
    The shop installed DT Swiss 350 Hybrid hubs for me. They are designed for e-bikes and have extra thickness. They can handle a ton of torque too. I swapped the 23T gearing out for the 54T in my other 350 set lol!

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...t-disc-shimano

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Interesting, I was thinking about going with the Hunt i37 rims, but those are for ebikes, but the extra thickness sounds interesting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    No problem. I was told the gap in the stock headset was normal. I also replaced the cups as well, just because. Did a complete headset overhaul.
    Our 2018 has a similar strange gap, REI said that's how they come and have read confirmation of that here. Has not been an issue yet, although my wife doesn't put many miles on it

To the post a few up from this, those should be absolutely bullet proof wheels. Very nice

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hi, sorry if posted elsewhere but I didn't find it when I looked. I am looking at getting a Timberjack SLX 27.5+ The bike shop is out of town and they have Large and X large in stock. I am 6'2" have been riding a XL stumpjumper it fit on the big side, but was okay, I also had a rockhopper 29 er in a 19" which I felt fit small. I have going over the numbers and trying to guess what size but am unsure. I know riding them will let me know but harder to do with this covid crap. I can probably get a parking lot ride on each but not 100% that will give me enough saddle time to get good feel. I fell large will be good but party hardtail's review says it felt cramped. So want to hear from you guys my height what size and thoughts, Thank you everyone. Sold both bikes to get one to hopefully re spark my passion for biking as my Stump was over kill for 95% of my riding and the rock was just something I could ride with kids on pathways but never fit great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Timberjack Thread

Same size as you here, and bought the XL. Overall fits well with a 45mm stem. I have a long inseam and my seat height is at 82cm from bottom bracket so I felt XL was better on that regards with less post sticking out and no standover issues. I also liked the bigger frame for bikepacking.
    Said that, there are some days that I wish I had gone with the Large, specially on more playful trials with technical features such small jumps and pumping sections.
    Before buying i tried both in the LBS parking lot and the large felt a little more natural but went for the extra wheelbase and room of the XL.
    This may not help you much, buy I would think both will work and it depends on what type of riding you are doing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I am 6'2" as well and went with a large. Tried an xl but it just felt way too big. I like smaller bikes though

2019 salsa timberjack

jcd's best friend
    When I was shopping for a TJ, I noticed that the sizing runs large. I am 5'11" with 29" inseam and I was sized to a medium. Traditionally I am on a large for most other brands. I saw the large TJ in person and was surprised how big it was!

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Tried a Lg 29 after I bought my Md 27.5. It felt significantly taller. I thought the wheels maybe exaggerated the effect. And they do. Barely. I'm 5'11". Lg frame is defo large.

Weekend riding was awesome on the Rigid Ranger. 3.0s were everything I hoped they'd be. I was turning to climb to explore, instead of choosing laziness. Defo took the sting out of the rigid fork. Very direct feeling, despite their larger volume. Lack of fork dive was fantastic, even if I had to ride a bit slower or took harder hits. It was nice not feeling "pushed" forward on the few dips I hit. Not sure if tire, carbon fork, or Ti bar, but my wrists and shoulders weren't that beat up. Saw maybe 10-15 miles of riding. Most of it with dried hoof prints. I felt the bumps. But they didn't beat me up. Little stutters just disappear under em. Gonna hit up some of my local trails this week. We'll see.

Timberjack Thread-cattle-call.jpg

I didn't think to stop for a glamour shot. All I had was my trusty potato anyways. My apologies to the collective.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-seppuku.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks gentlemen I was able to test Large and XL end up with large. Took it for shake down with the kids and it is a fun bike. Any tips for recon fork for 240lb dude, I dont like that there is nothing on fork for sag adjustment. Any one know the rise to the handlebar ?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Sag is set with air pressure. Also, consider adding some tokens to reduce volume, unless you like rocks and air (in which case, save your pennies and give some handies). Getting a shock pump and your sag right should be priority. If you got the coin to upgrade the fork, have at. If you gotta ride the Rekon, proper sag is key to you learning how you like your fork.

mtbr member
    Sorry I must not explained my self. I have air pump for suspension. On my 4 previous forks they had a rubber band ( o-ring) on them and some had the sag% numbers printed on them to easily see what the sag was this does not have band for reference. It would make it easy to measure then.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Ruh roh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-doing-electrical..jpg  

Last edited by ilmfat; 4 Days Ago at 10:04 PM. Reason: I like my second answer better.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Or, use the suggested setting and ride it. If it feels too soft and divey, add air. If it's too firm, remove air. The little o-ring and 25% are suggested settings to be adjusted by riding style, terrain, preference, etc. Air fork pressure is another setting that can be used to get you there. Shop dude set my sag for me. And the oring was maxed out by the end of my first ride on it, and I been playing with air pressure ever since. I push it down sometimes because I'm supposed to pay attention or whatever, but then I forget about it and go by felt sag and dive acceptability. It was always a tight rope for me. Which sucks because my issue with suspension has always been small bump sensitivity. Which tires have more bearing on than fork performance. Even on a Pike and a Fox 34. And I rode a 130mm fork for position, not because I need the travel. I don't want big hit performance or consistency through chunk. I want a smooth ride. I may not reflect your same preference. But dive and maintenance had me longing for the simplicity of my Rigid days again. Now, I'm setting up rigids because 3.0 tires. Have I caught air on a Piked TJ? Yes, though only moderate heights. Nothing over 5-6 feet. Is it fun? Sure. But riding low and slow is just as fun. I'm finding out I actually like longer rides with less focus on pace and more focus on hills.

But I'm just "drunk" at a keyboard.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by hags707 View Post
    Sorry I must not explained my self. I have air pump for suspension. On my 4 previous forks they had a rubber band ( o-ring) on them and some had the sag% numbers printed on them to easily see what the sag was this does not have band for reference. It would make it easy to measure then.
    There is a basic method to setting up sag if you have no bars to help you. For me, I'm 260 pounds and I typically have 120psi in the fork. You can start with 120 as a baseline. After setting your air pressure, make sure your fork is completely unlocked by turning the damper knob counter clockwise until it stops. From there, you will need to ride your bike slowly and attempt to push down hard on the fork and achieve 90 percent travel. Your o-ring should be near the top of the tube. From there, you can add or remove air as needed. I've always used this simple method to set my sag on my fork and it's never been a problem.

I tried the RockShox Trailhead website in the past but all they recommend is that I max out the air pressure in the fork and call it good.

mtbr member
    Thanks, My fork does not have a O-ring on it so I can't see how much sag there is or travel used. I have just been playing around with air pressure and feel. I am around 130 psi now but might lower it some more seems to not use enough travel.. I tried the new trailhead app but doe not give a start point for pressure and weight. There was nothing in package with bike stuff for where to start for weight and pressure. I will figure it out was looking for a baseline to start thats all and how to do sag with out a o-ring on sanctions. But enough of this bore, I am digging the Bike.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Is there not a chart on the back of the fork leg? I got no Rekons left to look for myself.

jcd's best friend
    Worse case, use a zip tie to set your sag. All you need to do is install it on the stanchion and make sure it's just tight enough to stay put on the stanchion when you cycle the fork through its travel.

Just make sure you cut it off when you are done.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Nevermind. Chart tops out at 200, anyways.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    ~15 psi for every 20 pounds.
    Suggested: 200lbs=120 psi
    Math says 240lbs rider should start around 150 psi.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    " I am around 130 psi now but might lower it some more seems to not use enough travel"

Increase Volume, maybe?

mtbr member
    Went out and hit some single track and flow track with this bike and wow. I felt very comfortable ripping it and getting little bit of air only thing holding back is me. The traction is real with the plus tires, so happy to have a bike that makes me want to ride again. Had a huge realization about myself, I am out of shape and need to ride more and get back at er. 4 years to long not hitting the trails