Timberjack Thread - Page 12- Mtbr.com
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 2,201 to 2,296 of 2296
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Received and installed my black Friday bought Brand X 170mm dropper. I jammed it into my medium frame as far as it would go, about an inch and a half of the lower remains exposed. This will probably juuuust fit me at 5ft8.

Also, the holes in the frame are pretty sharp and scraped up the housing, which I had to pull back and forth quite a lot getting it threaded and cut to the right length.
    Nice!

My 170mm PNW dropper has a bit of extra room I could drop it into the frame, but Iím 5í 11Ē.

If it doesnít work, the only 170mm dropper that might Work for you is the OneUp dropper.

mtbr member
    ^^^ I knew the BX would be close, but it was also just $100 with remote, shipped. If I were sure it wouldn't fit I'd have bought the shorter drop, not the other brands

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by G_J View Post
    Well, I finally get to join this thread. I just finished slooooowly building a TJ over the past couple weeks. I finished it over the weekend and rode it to work yesterday. I dig it! I'm going to break it in on 1 more commute before I hit the trails.

I'm coming from a 2010 Fuel EX 8. I wanted something a little different and boy did I get it! I LOVE the 29" wheels! I'm still getting used to the lower geometry though.

The one thing I can't figure out is the pedal bob that I'm getting. Any time my pedaling cadence get close to 60rpm, I start bouncing up and down like a little kid on a horse??? I have the tires at 30ps rear and 27psi front, which is close to the max for my rims. The cockpit is comfortable and my legs get just about full extension... I can't figure it out??? I wonder if I'll just have to adjust how I pedal???

Attachment 1280203
    Bike looks ace! What fork length are you running?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    I take all TJ years can handle 29x2.6 or is it specific years?
    Yes. In fact they can handle 29x3. I ran wtb rangers in that size for a while.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    Yes. In fact they can handle 29x3. I ran wtb rangers in that size for a while.
    What width rim did you have the Rangers on?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Anyone looking for a set of 27.5+ rims? I bought a 2018 SLX model and have updated to 29 inch rims. Happy to pass along my Sunringle DuRoc 45s to someone else for a good price.

I also have the Rockshox Judy Gold fork that I could sell as well. DM me if interested in either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by limpy88 View Post
    New to biking this year. Traded a couple of my kayaks to other bikes. Then traded those in on a new 2019 timberjack slx 27.5+ in july of this year. Wanted a 2018 green frame, but couldnt find any in my size left.

I have 3 wheel sets and a trainer wheel.
    The factory set with factory tires,
    dt swiss 29er 19mm internal for gravel tires (currently 37 wtb's)
    Wtb stp 30, (deciding on tires still so they are bare)
    Same dt swiss rear wheel for trainer. $20 yard sale trainer.

The alternator drop outs on the drive side have a nearly same shape as the trainer axle nut. So I just clamp it in with out it on one side because it isnt meant for boost hubs length.

I tore my bicep tendon in august. So I needed some curved handle bars to help ride one handed. Got the surly moloko bars. The local shop had a good price on them. Wraped them in some salsa gren tape. I like them alot. Pulling the daughter in the trailer with the gravel tires they are nice.

Have a arckle bag and mount on the front of bars

Yes I have a kickstand. I have ridden and raced motorcycles. 95% of ppl on 2 wheels will faster with improving there skill than reducing the bike weight. My self included. Im far from fast on a mtb
    When I drive in to town and ride the paved trails it is nice to have the keep the bike off the hard surfaces. When I pull the kids trailer it is a necessity.

The trailer mount for 2016 giant pea pod ($45 preowned but not used) is bolted to the alternator plate. I can pull the axle out with touching the trailer mount.

Have the alternator rear rack. Have a small bag at the moment. Want to get a bigger one. Deciding on what still.

Got a wtb volt seat 145 wide.

Running 2 different pedals. Some overly used candy 1 for the tranier and some HT compents nylon flats for everything else. Want a dual pedal havent figured out which one yet
    I'd like to see how the alternator rack looks installed on a TJ, and definitely interested in your trailer setup too. Are you able to have your trailer and rack installed at the same time without them getting in the way of removing the rear axle/wheel? Can you show a few pics of the setup?

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by timbuh View Post
    I'd like to see how the alternator rack looks installed on a TJ, and definitely interested in your trailer setup too. Are you able to have your trailer and rack installed at the same time without them getting in the way of removing the rear axle/wheel? Can you show a few pics of the setup?
    Sorry for the side ways pic. It uploaded like that and I cant get it nor to upload like.
    I cant use my quick axle, I have to use the factory axle for the trainer. I have sram quick axles front and rear.
    You have to get the salsa sear collar that is made for the rack arms in order for it to work.

Timberjack Thread-20200108_060642.jpg[=CONFIG]1304225[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-20200108_060715.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hi all. First mountain purchase ever today! Arrives in 7 days and got a great deal + gear!

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/timber...berjack_slx_29

Looking forward to chipping in and talking to a bunch of new friends!
    Last edited by DemetrioGQ; 01-12-2020 at 10:53 AM.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by DemetrioGQ View Post
    Hi all. First mountain purchase ever today! Arrives in 7 days and got a great day + gear!

Welcome! I just purchased the same back in November. Itís a great bike out of the box, save for the grips which are pretty hard on the hands. Also had to replace the 135mm saddle. Other than that, set it up tubeless and started cranking out the miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DemetrioGQ View Post
    Hi all. First mountain purchase ever today! Arrives in 7 days and got a great day + gear!

Welcome!
    Great first bike!

mtbr member
    Everyone keeps telling me to set it up tubeless!

29ers Forever
    My Timberjack project is almost done, and I will try to post pictures of the finished product.

-Raceface Aeffect 780mm low rise bar/Aeffect 70mm stem
    This has helped fit me better, so my back doesn't cramp up while riding, and has allowed for much easier climbing without having to extend the chainstays. Before this upgrade, I would loop out on most climbs, but due to how I enjoyed the descending character of the bike, I tried this and it worked out well. I have fitted it with my preference of Chromag Squarewave grips and it feels very comfortable, like the aggressive XC rig I see it to be.
    -Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 27.5x2.8
    Unfortunately the only ride I had with these tires was right before the first snow of the year and I have been unable to ride the bike since early November. The stock Rangers filled with mud very easily and made for a hair raising ride on dirt to wet rock transfers. These tires should do the trick and make it more capable on technical trails.
    -Raceface Aeffect 150mm dropper post
    This was my most recent upgrade. The stock post was leaving behind a ring of silver-metallic grease on the post after every time I used it, and the 125mm drop was not enough for my preference. This post should be a decent upgrade and allow for more confidence in steep terrain that this bike craves. I have fitted my preference of WTB Volt Comp mid-width saddle, over the stock 135mm.
    -180mm rear rotor
    This is simply to stop the rear wheel from locking as easily, something I noticed under heavy breaking. I am used to 200mm rotors on my FS bike, so that is user error.
    -Marzocchi Bomber Z2 fork
    This will come in a few weeks. I am hoping that a fork with some more adjustability will help keep the front end from dropping as much as the stock Recon. On aggressive trails, the fork seems to dive into every little hole and doesn't give much confidence due to its 32mm chassis.

All I know is that this will be the first mountain bike I ride in Spring once the trails dry, and with these upgrades hopefully it will finally become the secondary bike I have been wanting for a while.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Just confirmed, I am having it setup tubeless!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Anyone know if a 130mm fox 34 rythm 44 offset fork will work on a 2018 timberjack (the white model, forget which one). It's a small currently setup with 27.5 tires.

Getting a new bike and upgrading to a pike ultimate on it, so was going to move that fox 34 to the timberjack if it was doable (to replace the not so great, judy silver).

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelandk2 View Post
    Anyone know if a 130mm fox 34 rythm 44 offset fork will work on a 2018 timberjack (the white model, forget which one). It's a small currently setup with 27.5 tires.

Getting a new bike and upgrading to a pike ultimate on it, so was going to move that fox 34 to the timberjack if it was doable (to replace the not so great, judy silver).
    Don't see any reason why it shouldn't. I put a 130mm pike on my 2018 TJ, and it feels great. My Pike does have a 51mm offset on it though. Not sure how much difference 7mm less fork offset would feel, but I'd be surprised if it made much of a difference. I can imagine it would be better than the Judy.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Cool, thanks. Yeah and it's got a tad bit different a2c. I'm not sure, I wonder if the 130mm fork voids the warranty as it's a 120mm fork... but I doubt it's large risk with my smaller wife. And it's a pretty cheap frame and such :P.

oooo I think new salsas might be coming out, site's down for maintenance.

WNC Native
    Cool, thanks. Yeah and it's got a tad bit different a2c. I'm not sure, I wonder if the 130mm fork voids the warranty as it's a 120mm fork... but I doubt it's large risk with my smaller wife. And it's a pretty cheap frame and such :P.

oooo I think new salsas might be coming out, site's down for maintenance.
    I've heard some TJ rumors, curious to see if they change any.... That said, 130 won't void the warranty as the current models come with 130mm forks.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I've heard some TJ rumors, curious to see if they change any.... That said, 130 won't void the warranty as the current models come with 130mm forks.
    Ahh yeah didnt know how that would work as I think her's is 120. Yeah I heard a rumor to, probably just color changes if anything .

Ahh its back up, no changes. Run of the mill maintenance I guess ;P.

WNC Native
    Ahh yeah didnt know how that would work as I think her's is 120. Yeah I heard a rumor to, probably just color changes if anything .

If I remember correctly, think you can run up to 140mm fork without ant warranty issues. I'm planning on using a 130 or 140mm fork on my TJ build.

Edit- up to 541 axle to crown length per Salsa's site.

Timberjack Thread-tj-fork-max-length.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2019
    If I remember correctly, think you can run up to 140mm fork without ant warranty issues. I'm planning on using a 130 or 140mm fork on my TJ build.

Ahh perfect, didnt see that thanks. Put this together for myself, here it is ancase anyone else wants it. Looks like if you want 140mm the performance/elite/factory will serve you best (will keep geo the closest to normal at least, and be close to the warranty max)

Fox 34 Rhythm
    130 mm = 540
    140mm = 550

Pike Ultimate
    130mm = 541
    140mm = 551

Fox 34/36 Performance/elite/factory
    130mm = 537
    140mm = 547

29ers Forever

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TJ fork max length.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	1305737
    I wanted to put a 140 on my TJ, but the LBS confirmed that 140 would void the warranty. On the frameset page, Salsa says that 130mm is the max travel for the frame.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    I've heard some TJ rumors, curious to see if they change any....
    I've been thinking about this. When they replaced the El Mar with the TJ there were a lot of things that needed to be updated, chiefly dropper routing and boost spacing. What would you change on a TJ? The build has been different every year but the frame seems pretty ok. Nothing is stopping you from installing the latest & best drivetrain or wheels or brakes or fork. Maybe allow for longer droppers with a shorter seat tube with a more severe bend. Maybe you could change the geo but maybe not, it's not an enduro bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I've been thinking about this. When they replaced the El Mar with the TJ there were a lot of things that needed to be updated, chiefly dropper routing and boost spacing. What would you change on a TJ? The build has been different every year but the frame seems pretty ok. Nothing is stopping you from installing the latest & best drivetrain or wheels or brakes or fork. Maybe allow for longer droppers with a shorter seat tube with a more severe bend. Maybe you could change the geo but maybe not, it's not an enduro bike.
    A Shimano XT build with the new 12sp drivetrain and XT8120 brakes would be sweet.

On geo, maybe bring the HTA down a degree or two and STA up a degree or two to get it more in line with other AM offerings. It's pretty good the way it is now though, and it seems to be a pretty popular bike just the way it is.

I like the idea of a shorter seat tube.

mtbr member
    Picked this frame this week and built it up. Always wanted titanium. Took it for a shake down ride today and I like it!

Timberjack Thread-cc0107bc-108c-45d2-a3f8-eaf99b99e77c.jpg

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by socaltrailrider View Post
    Picked this frame this week and built it up. Always wanted titanium. Took it for a shake down ride today and I like it!

Name:	CC0107BC-108C-45D2-A3F8-EAF99B99E77C.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	1306253
    Looks GREAT!!!! What gearing are you running?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

one up 210 dropper

I am 6'-1" on a large. 29" wheels, 40mm stem, Fox 36 @ 160mm. The dropper is all the way into the frame and sits at the right height for me. I know this is all out of spec and not the intent of the bike but amazing that it still performs very well on trails I would normally use my full suspension. true swiss army knife.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-tj.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post
    Looks GREAT!!!! What gearing are you running?
    Running 32-22.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What width rim did you have the Rangers on?
    Duroc 50ís.

I now run Duroc 40ís with 2.8 Terrene McFlyís. WTB 3.0ís were fine except in the mud in which they were very slippery. Also, with the 3.0ís the chain would scrap mud off the tires and cause havoc with the drivetrain.

I really like my current setup.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Running 32-22.
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by serious1 View Post
    Nice build but that color is horrible.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    2020? time flies...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks a lot like the highly prized "Miami Green" stache from a few years ago, to each their own I guess!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I like the aqua... did not like the sky blue before, it looked like a PG&E truck

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Broken link is broken.

Apparently Salsa wants to announce before letting REI take pre-orders.
    crap! i gotta learn to climb. - 2011

Climbing ain't so bad. - 2019

mtbr member
    I haven't been keeping close track of mileage, but with much less than 2000 miles on my 2018 NX, the pedaling has gone clicky. I first used this as an excuse to buy some better pedals - but it's not the pedals. Next I'll try torquing the BB cartridge. If that doesn't help then it's the BB. Trying to decide whether to buy an upgrade (which would be pretty expen$ive with crankset, bb, tools, maybe a new ring if it's not SRAM) or just a straight replacement (functional but joyless). I'll poke around online and see if I can find an xx1 or something

Shopping... Seems like 73/118 bb's are hard to find?

mtbr member
    Salsa is teasing a titanium plus-tire flat-bar something on their Facebook page. My guess is a premium build Ti Timberjack... not sure what else it could be

mtbr member
    Here's a video of my buddy following me while having some fun on my Timberjack.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

WNC Native
    Salsa is teasing an ALUMINUM plus-tire flat-bar something on their Facebook page.
    Fixed it for you

mtbr member
    You may be right. Hydroformed tubing. The welds on my bike are a blobby slobby mess compared to the tease, and the stay bends and gusset at the seat cluster are much different. And I think the TJ is not much changed from yesterday's glance at the above broken REI link.

So maybe it's some purpose-built bikepacking thing... a step between the TJ and Cutthroat? Timberjack... Cutthroat... maybe it's the Clear Cut

DFMBA.org

Name:	CC0107BC-108C-45D2-A3F8-EAF99B99E77C.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	1306253
    Thatís filthy (in a good way).

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    My Salsa dealer says it's likely a fixed/vert drop out TJ.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    My Salsa dealer says it's likely a fixed/vert drop out TJ.
    I wonder why? Alternator dropouts are kinda cool. Although after a couple of experiments I've just got the wheel shoved all the way back and haven't touched it since...

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Price. Chunky welds support his theory, imo. Looks like a budget frame to me.

Maybe see an Alivio build for $800 msrp. (My speculation, not my shop's.)

mtbr member
    Another tease today. This one (blue) looks much more like a Timberjack, and definitely has Alternators. So Wednesday's bike (silver) is still a mystery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-82551683_10157714594991702_7503296862405787648_o.jpg  

Timberjack Thread-82577823_10157714574146702_9035396574032691200_o-1-.jpg  

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    The suspense is titillating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-podcorn.jpg  

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    New fixed frame to replace Deore TJs. Around the same price as a Deore TJ.

No $800 Alivio or $600 Altus build.

Dumb.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I'll report back on CS length once I see numbers, but that likely won't be til geo goes public anyways.

DFMBA.org
    Just my $.02.. The silver one has a smaller s/s gusset and looks to have less tire clearance. My guess is an XC h/t maybe geared towards the beginner or NICA crowd.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    new TJ's look like they are out... don't see much other than spec changes though. Haven't looked super close. I like the slx/xt build though, not familiar with the sektor fork though.

Rider
    Jan 2019
    Oh man I want that new XT27.5. I currently have a NX29 which I purchases used off PinkBike. I like the bike OK, but it was my first 29er and I definitely like 27s better and I also prefer Shimano over SRAM.

Live and learn. But I doubt I want it enough to sell this one just yet. Also all the kool kids tell me it is cool to have a 26, 27 and 29 in the quiver so I am set for now.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    New Rangefinder has 440mm Chainstays. Less bike for the same money.

DFMBA.org
    New Rangefinder has 440mm Chainstays. Less bike for the same money.
    141 QR

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    If they would do a $250 frame only so I could use these stock Timberjack wheels for a buddy bike....I'd still find something with shorter chainstays. Not that I am the entire bike market. But if they wanted to grab the budget market, it seems weird there is no $800 Alivio build. And if it was a different bike, why not have higher end builds? This blatant grab at elevating the TJ would be a lot more palatable if they did more than just replace the budget TJ builds with an inferior bike at the same price.

mtbr member
    I think they probably did a little market research and discovered people who bought QR141 bikes with "cheap nasty" forks weren't upgrading... probably because the forks work ok for those customers and it costs $80 just for the plates and axle before you even go buy a hub.

On my 18 NX, fixing the pitted cone cost $10 and the fork still contains a preserved sample of 2018 air from the REI that assembled it

mtbr member
    NX build is going away

Deore build is moved down to the Rangefinder at $150 less

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    141 QR
    We're here, we're QR, get used to it

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Might still keep it if it doesn't sell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-orange.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Would a decent drive side chainstay protector be too much to ask to come stock on the timberjack line? Mine was beat and scratched up pretty good after about 200 miles. I've just been putting black gorilla tape on it since, and that works good, but looks a bit janky. What are you guys running on your drive side chainstay to keep it from getting beat?

mtbr member
    Do you have a clutch derailleur? I'm not second guessing your expertise, however, make sure it's in the on position. Otherwise, an old tube can be made to look fairly descent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    Do you have a clutch derailleur? I'm not second guessing your expertise, however, make sure it's in the on position. Otherwise, an old tube can be made to look fairly descent.
    You still get chainslap with a clutch derailleur.

I've got an old tube on mine. Whether it looks good or not is subjective I guess. I think it's fine.

Timberjack Thread-20200118_153214.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2019
    First thing I did before I rode the bike was buy a protector. I bought a medium size lizards skins neoprene Velcro type. When I switched over to single speed I removed it and the chainstay looks brand new.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    You still get chainslap with a clutch derailleur.

I've got an old tube on mine. Whether it looks good or not is subjective I guess. I think it's fine.
    Sorry if I communicated a clutch would eliminate chain slap. It definitely helps but doesn't eliminate.

@MX9799 - you could finish it off with black gorilla tape.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    Sorry if I communicated a clutch would eliminate chain slap. It definitely helps but doesn't eliminate.

@MX9799 - you could finish it off with black gorilla tape.
    I did the black gorilla tape thing after noticing my chainstay was getting pretty beat up. My RD does have a clutch (SRAM GX), but that wasn't enough to keep the chain from eating through the clear plastic tape that came on the bike pretty quickly and scratching up the paint. The gorilla tape works just fine, and it's cheap enough to just replace every year, but it still baffles me that the TJ line doesn't come with something a little better on the chainstay. Pretty much every other bike made (even the Salsa FS bikes) comes with good chainstay protection. It seems to me like it would be a good addition to the TJ and wouldn't drive the price up considerably.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    My chainstay protection is the fact that I'll get bored with my frame color and powdercoat it in 2 years, so the pockmarks from slap are viewed as battle scars for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    My chainstay protection is the fact that I'll get bored with my frame color and powdercoat it in 2 years, so the pockmarks from slap are viewed as battle scars for now.
    I get that, but my bike will never get repainted. That's why I bought a black bike. Got a ding or scratch that keeps catching my eye and rubbing me the wrong way? Black sharpie to the rescue.

I'd like to get a black CS protector that works well and looks clean, as if it was made for the bike. If Salsa put one out on the new bikes, I could pick up that part and install it on my bike. Until they do, I'll keep putting on a new line of gorilla tape every winter I guess.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    That reminds me. I needa get a CS protector for the frame on order. Thanks, yo.

DFMBA.org

Timberjack Thread

Would a decent drive side chainstay protector be too much to ask to come stock on the timberjack line? Mine was beat and scratched up pretty good after about 200 miles. I've just been putting black gorilla tape on it since, and that works good, but looks a bit janky. What are you guys running on your drive side chainstay to keep it from getting beat?
    I cut a piece of inner tube to length, then slit it lengthwise, and wrapped it around the c/s, holding with 4 zip ties. Works like a charm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey Guys, couple questions for you... Iím not a Salsa owner, but think Iím being bitten by the bug!! Loving the idea of the 27.5+ ... here is the dilemma...

The (ex)wife (first time Iíve written that) and I have had Stacheís before and loved them. Iím now on a Scalpel Carbon 2 for XC but am contemplating a 2 week road trip out to interior BC (from Ontario) riding along the way and as I may be coming in to some $$ think I might splurge and get myself a new bike .. or build up a bike (my preference).

Being the nice guy that I am I may get the Ex another Stache or possible Timberjack (I know, a strange proposition) and I myself am debating...

There really isnít a dealer for Salsaís near me to go touch and feel and even test ride but Iím getting the impression they do ride similar to the Stache.

My debate... is there a huge difference in ride quality between the Al and Ti Timberjack??
    Letís not consider cost as a factor.

2nd question if anyone has any experience, big difference between ride of the Ti Timberjack and Carbon Stache?

As I said, Iím an xc rider, and do a bunch of the NUE races but my local trails tend to be flowy and somewhat smooth as opposed to choppy with tons of roots and drops - although, I am fine riding them. Iíve done BCBR and Breck so used to that sort of terrain and it is likely will take the new bike on those types of trails instead of beating up my Scalpel, which does handle those trails marvellously.

Thoughts? Insights?? Iím looking forward to them.

Thanks!
    D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    If you are going true plus (2.8 or 3.0) I think frame material actually becomes much less important to the ride quality. Those big tires and low pressure really numb the ride out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard4130 View Post
    If you are going true plus (2.8 or 3.0) I think frame material actually becomes much less important to the ride quality. Those big tires and low pressure really numb the ride out.
    Yup, would run true + size. The Scalpel is an amazing bike and does almost all of it, this would be built up as my hooligan bike. And with a 3Ē tire, I can ride also ride it on our winter groomed trails.

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard4130 View Post
    Agreed, I have a carbon stache and my wife has an AL timberjack. I'd take that frame money and spend it on upgraded components any day as that's where I find the biggest difference.

To the chainstay conversation, the TJ is in a lot of ways a budget bike. It seems small, but little tradeoffs like a cheaper protector eat into margins quickly. At this price point they're probably looking at how to make this bike attractive in a show room not for resale or long term value. Doesn't make it a bad bike, but there are always trade offs

I've had a lizard skin protector on a few bikes, it's ok. Tube is probably lighter and doesn't trap as much dirt and water weight

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Agreed, I have a carbon stache and my wife has an AL timberjack. I'd take that frame money and spend it on upgraded components any day as that's where I find the biggest difference.

To the chainstay conversation, the TJ is in a lot of ways a budget bike. It seems small, but little tradeoffs like a cheaper protector eat into margins quickly. At this price point they're probably looking at how to make this bike attractive in a show room not for resale or long term value. Doesn't make it a bad bike, but there are always trade offs

I've had a lizard skin protector on a few bikes, it's ok. Tube is probably lighter and doesn't trap as much dirt and water weight

I must say though that the paint quality on my Timberjack is one of the best on any bike I've owned.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post

Interesting... so, would you keep the carbon Stache over a built up Al Timberjack?

D

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Interesting... so, would you keep the carbon Stache over a built up Al Timberjack?

D
    I choose the Timberjack because the frame is a steal price wise and it left me with enough money to put better components on it, like the Fox Factory 34.

Plus, with this being a ďpartyĒ bike if I crash it or it gets beat on, Iím not terrified of messing up a pricey carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Good points Frank!

A buddy just mentioned the Linskey... now there are too many options!
    D

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Good points Frank!

D

For reference, I traded in a Niner Air 9 RDO Carbon bike to jump start this build. Carbon is a GREAT material, but depending on the budget of the build, you can get better performance with better components.

My Niner Jet 9 RDO is carbon, thatís the bike I bring when Iím pushing my limits. The Timberjack is for pure fun and trying to get closer to my ďrootsĒ. I say closer because Iím definitely not going back to fully rigid!

Haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2020

Adaptor for 160 to 180 rotors

Hey all, just got a Timberjack Deore 27.5 + a few weeks ago and am basically loving life after upgrading from a Rockhopper. Anyhow, Iím going to throw some better icetech brake rotors on there and also make them both 180/180 as opposed to the stock 180/160. Iím trying to find what kind of adaptor I can use for the rear caliper on the frame and upon researching this a little, Iím even more confused than when I started. Anyone try this upgrade with the deore brakes or equivalent? Anyone know the adapter I would need? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Frank - we really did/do have similar bikes - I went from an Air 9 to Air 9 RDO to the Jet 9 RDO and then the Scalpel!

The TJ will likely fill the gap between the Scalpel and my Slate.

D

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS29 View Post
    For reference, I traded in a Niner Air 9 RDO Carbon bike to jump start this build. Carbon is a GREAT material, but depending on the budget of the build, you can get better performance with better components.

My Niner Jet 9 RDO is carbon, thatís the bike I bring when Iím pushing my limits. The Timberjack is for pure fun and trying to get closer to my ďrootsĒ. I say closer because Iím definitely not going back to fully rigid!

Haha

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Grog111 View Post
    Hey all, just got a Timberjack Deore 27.5 + a few weeks ago and am basically loving life after upgrading from a Rockhopper. Anyhow, Iím going to throw some better icetech brake rotors on there and also make them both 180/180 as opposed to the stock 180/160. Iím trying to find what kind of adaptor I can use for the rear caliper on the frame and upon researching this a little, Iím even more confused than when I started. Anyone try this upgrade with the deore brakes or equivalent? Anyone know the adapter I would need? Thanks in advance!
    You need the 180mm version of this:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-XT...-Brake-Adaptor

or this one thatís actually in stock:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-18...-Brake-Adaptor

male sure you choose 180mm rear

DFMBA.org
    Good points Frank!

D
    I had a Lynskey MT29 a couple years ago. Bought it brand new and it was supposed to be their most compliant frame at the time. It turned out to be one of the harshest hard-tails Iíd ever owned, and I sold it 8 months after buying it. After about 12 miles my back was screaming. My AL Timberjack is a much more comfortable ride and I have no pain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I had a Lynskey MT29 a couple years ago. Bought it brand new and it was supposed to be their most compliant frame at the time. It turned out to be one of the harshest hard-tails Iíd ever owned, and I sold it 8 months after buying it. After about 12 miles my back was screaming. My AL Timberjack is a much more comfortable ride and I have no pain.

Hmm.. interesting.
    I was on the Linskeyís site and got a 30% off coupon code, dropped the price off a dream build I did by over $1500! Will have to do more research if I go that route for sure.

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

D
    I got the stache more for the wheel size, riding an xl I feel like 29+ is a good fit. Only reason I went carbon on it is because of the component upgrades from trek, too lazy to do a frame up build

DFMBA.org
    Hmm.. interesting.
    I was on the Linskeyís site and got a 30% off coupon code, dropped the price off a dream build I did by over $1500! Will have to do more research if I go that route for sure.

D
    Your mileage may vary. It was a well-made frame, but just not right for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Your mileage may vary. It was a well-made frame, but just not right for me.
    Weíre you using the same wheel/tire combo on both bikes?

Just curious because components can play a big role with overall comfort between two bikes...

DFMBA.org
    Weíre you using the same wheel/tire combo on both bikes?

Just curious because components can play a big role with overall comfort between two bikes...
    No. The Lynskey shipped with Mavic Crossride 19mm wide wheels, and 2.25 tires .

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    No. The Lynskey shipped with Mavic Crossride 19mm wide wheels, and 2.25 tires .

Do you think the Lynskey would have rode more comfortably with the wider, high volume tires that are fit on the Timberjack?

I seriously donít miss the wheels and tires that USED to come with mountain bikes!

Haha.

My gravel bike has 19mm internal rims and I want to go wider. I remember one of my old HT Stumpjumpers came stock with 17mm internal rims, it was in ďupgradeĒ when I changed them to 19mm rims.

DFMBA.org
    Do you think the Lynskey would have rode more comfortably with the wider, high volume tires that are fit on the Timberjack?

I seriously donít miss the wheels and tires that USED to come with mountain bikes!

Haha.

My gravel bike has 19mm internal rims and I want to go wider. I remember one of my old HT Stumpjumpers came stock with 17mm internal rims, it was in ďupgradeĒ when I changed them to 19mm rims.
    The Lynskey Iím sure wouldíve rode better with bigger tires. On my model, a 2.3 in the rear wouldíve been pushing it, width-wise. Another gripe I had about the bike. It was rated for a 2.3 but it only wouldíve left about 4mm clearance from the chain stays. Maybe theyíre doing things differently today.

mtbr member
    Anybody looking for a Large Timberjack frame? I'm moving on from mine and would like to sell it. I also have a Fox Rythm fork I could sell with it. It's the dark gray with orange lettering on it. I'll post up some pictures later when I get back home.

Price: TBD. Make an offer.

mtbr member
    I joined the Salsa club today! After a decade of singlespeeding I always knew about salsa but never ended up with one. I broke my steel frame a few weeks ago and needed a replacement and man I could not be happier. Went with Frame only option and bough new I9 Trails S 101 wheelset on Maxxis Ikon 2.35, Tidell rigid fork and the rest I swapped over from my other bike, solid bike feels perfect, very very similar to my 2015 Trek Superfly SS which is not a bad thing.
    IMG_1327 by driverfound337, on Flickr
    IMG_1361 by driverfound337, on Flickr
    IMG_1367 by driverfound337, on Flickr
    IMG_1356 by driverfound337, on Flickr
    IMG_1368 by driverfound337, on Flickr

mtbr member
    I purchased a frame back in November and have been slowly building it over this winter. Finding the wheels I want is the biggest thing I have left. Will definitely be 27.5+ as I still have my Sir 9 as well. Still time to get analysis-paralysis with ski season getting good here in NH and at least 2 months until the trails are dry.

Timberjack Thread-timberjack3.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Anyone running 27.5 non-plus tires on their Timberjack?

I want to try the Maxxis Dissector in 2.4Ē with my Baron wheels, just wondering if anyone has ridden anything similar. I know Iím going to lower the BB making a move like this, not sure if itís going to be too low.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    I joined the Salsa club today! After a decade of singlespeeding I always knew about salsa but never ended up with one. I broke my steel frame a few weeks ago and needed a replacement and man I could not be happier. Went with Frame only option and bough new I9 Trails S 101 wheelset on Maxxis Ikon 2.35, Tidell rigid fork and the rest I swapped over from my other bike, solid bike feels perfect, very very similar to my 2015 Trek Superfly SS which is not a bad thing.
    Welcome to the club! I like your build, all murdered out and everything. Very simple and clean. I got mine late last year and also jumped from a Superfly SS, praying it would be as comfortable, and it is. Looks like youíre scurrying around some of the same terrain I do. AZ desert?

mtbr member
    Yeah definitely murdered out and I like it. I noticed after my ride I wore black shorts and black jersey with black shoes, I left the eyeliner at home lol. I definitey run around the desert, mostly Hawes but I ride all teh east valley and others when I can since I live in Gilbert. See ya out there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    Very nice!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112