Timberjack Thread - Page 11- Mtbr.com
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 2,001 to 2,185 of 2185
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelMTB View Post
    What bag are you using with the dropper post and is there any interference with the post? Does it have a strap that touches the dropper or connect directly to the seat rails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think that's a Bontrager bag (I got it 4-5 years ago for a road bike). It has loops that strap into the seat rails, but it also has a little rubber strap that connects to the post about an inch below the seat. She rides high enough that it hasn't caused an issue, but I imagine the bag would just bunch up, and I would be more worried about it rubbing against the tire.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks. Thatís my worries is rubbing the tire. I have a fox bag now with a buckle that goes through the rails and the front strap which would go around the post, I am wrapping it over the rails too.

2019 Kona Honzo
    SOLD - 2018 Specialized Pitch Expert

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelMTB View Post
    Thanks. Thatís my worries is rubbing the tire. I have a fox bag now with a buckle that goes through the rails and the front strap which would go around the post, I am wrapping it over the rails too.

Get an Awesome Strap if it's just for peripherals.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Get an Awesome Strap if it's just for peripherals.

I thought about that but sometimes I carry a small camera in the bag as well.
    2019 Kona Honzo
    SOLD - 2018 Specialized Pitch Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hi,

Without looking through pages of posts, has anyone converted their 2017 GX Timberjack to 29 x 2.6 tires/wheels? How do you like it vs. 27.5 x 3" ?

Thx!

mtbr member

Finally threw on the new fork and new stem.

Went out and rode today, couldn't feel any discernible difference other than that the bike felt great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-u5rxx8h1mkitb2utoiqddg4he0vsg7bykn9kewrsxfgncho5x4piwc_ggurlyy9nv3eynkbb82fpfrhv-bxkzxe5o6qujtbi.jpg  

Last edited by tweeder82o; 08-06-2019 at 06:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Weight difference between the aluminum frame versus titanium frame?

DFMBA.org

Timberjack Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hwcn View Post
    Weight difference between the aluminum frame versus titanium frame?
    Not much. 4,10 Ti. 4,12 AL (Med frames)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not much. 4,10 Ti. 4,12 AL (Med frames)

Thanks! I would have thought more. My fat bike which is TI weighs 4Lbs less than my TJ. I really like my TJ except for the weight. Lots of blow downs where I ride and it is incredible how much easier my fat bike is to throw over them than the TJ.

DFMBA.org
    Thanks! I would have thought more. My fat bike which is TI weighs 4Lbs less than my TJ. I really like my TJ except for the weight. Lots of blow downs where I ride and it is incredible how much easier my fat bike is to throw over them than the TJ.
    Those figures are off Salsa's website. I was surprised too.

mtbr member
    The components in the stock builds work well but they are nnnnot light!

Solid crank arms with solid steel spindle and steel ring, take off half a pound
    steel stack freehub cassette well north of 1lb, take off another half
    5+ lb fork, compare <4 lb for a nicer fork or <2 lb for carbon rigid
    6000 not 7000 aluminum much less carbon cockpit bits, coil spring dropper
    mid grade very wide rims, 64 straight spokes, so on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    The components in the stock builds work well but they are nnnnot light! Solid crank arms with solid steel spindle and steel ring, steel stack freehub cassette well north of 1lb, 5+ lb fork, 6000 not 7000 aluminum cockpit bits, mid grade very wide rims, 64 straight spokes, so on.
    Iíve done some upgrades, although not weight weenie light. Fox 34 fork, WTB Volt TI saddle, Carbon HBís, Sun Ringle Duroc 40 wheel-set. May upgrade brakes, cranks, and cassette, but I canít fathom that shaving 4Lbs. Iím still skeptical that the TJ frame is 4.5lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Does anyone know how much the standover and bb height are effected going from the OEM 2019 2.8 27.5+ rangers to 29 2.3ish wheels/tires? I'm wanting some skinnier tires and not sure if 29 (2.3-2.4) vs 27.5 (2.6) is the way to go. If I went 27.5 (2.6), could I somehow change the lower stack height on the headset to add some bb height? I'm trying to keep the stock bb height/standover/fork travel but just not run plus tires.

Also, what is the general consensus of the bottom bracket height for the 2019 timberjack compared to other modern hardtails? Low...high, medium?
    Last edited by maynard4130; 08-10-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Additional question

mtbr member
    website says that the bike can take 29x2.1-2.6, I'm drawing such a blank right now on where to find out the dimensional differences between tires. is there a big difference between 2.3 and 2.6? I know that 2.8 and 2.6 is different enough that I was advice to stick with 27.5x2.8 and not go down to 2.6.

from what I've heard, the timberjack has a low BB, I found 297mm somewhere.. not sure if it's correct

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyinWI View Post
    Hi,

Without looking through pages of posts, has anyone converted their 2017 GX Timberjack to 29 x 2.6 tires/wheels? How do you like it vs. 27.5 x 3" ?

Thx!
    Converted to 29x2.8 Terrene Mcflyís They measure more like a 2.7. Best thing I did to the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Just noticed today that Salsa dropped the MSRP on the Deore Timberjack to $1099 from the $1249 that it was earlier this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Converted to 29x2.8 Terrene Mcflyís They measure more like a 2.7. Best thing I did to the bike.
    Thanks man!. Thinking of wheel or fork upgrade, but not both.

mtbr member
    Current state with fresh tires, just rips

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have a Timberjack NX 1 with 27.5 X 3 tires I put on for trail riding.Moved to a condo with limited storage so had to get rid of my city bike. Weekly some friends and I go for a 30km-ish ride through urban areas. I would really like to get a second wheel set that I could put narrower tires on. I just get confused with all the different measurements available.
    What would be the simplest option without needing any adaptors or such? I would purchase another set of rotors and rear cassette so it would be a quick swap. I would also prefer to run 29" . If I am looking through Pinkbike or Kijiji, could someone tell me the axle size I should look for, and is QR the best option? Any other tips also welcome. (Located in Toronto, Ontario) Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Salsa website shows the NX build comes with boost spaced hubs, so 15x110 (f) and 12x148 (r). Those are thru-axles, not the old QR style that requires skewers, if that's what you mean. You can use the same axles currently on the bike so long as you get the same size hubs on the second wheelset.

Assuming your fork will accommodate a 29 inch wheel, you want to run hubs that are also 15x110 and 12x148. So get a 29er boost wheelset. Some folks get a second cassette and install it on the new wheelset so you can swap back and forth quickly.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2 (ironically, bike was stolen)
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2
    2018 Yeti SB4.5

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by glorp View Post
    I have a Timberjack NX 1 with 27.5 X 3 tires I put on for trail riding.Moved to a condo with limited storage so had to get rid of my city bike. Weekly some friends and I go for a 30km-ish ride through urban areas. I would really like to get a second wheel set that I could put narrower tires on. I just get confused with all the different measurements available.
    What would be the simplest option without needing any adaptors or such? I would purchase another set of rotors and rear cassette so it would be a quick swap. I would also prefer to run 29" . If I am looking through Pinkbike or Kijiji, could someone tell me the axle size I should look for, and is QR the best option? Any other tips also welcome. (Located in Toronto, Ontario) Thanks
    If your rear hub is a Boost QR 141 spec now (vs 148mm thru axle which is standard Boost) it could be tricky. You'd have to find a 29er wheel with that same hub spec (Boost QR 141) and they're not that prolific, mainly due to it being kind of an oem, less expensive option. No idea what spec your front wheel is but if it too is boost, it's probably 115mm thru axle.

If you can't find a 29er wheelset that's 141 Boost QR, you could but an extra set of Alternator plates from Salsa that are 12mm t/a Boost, if that's the route you decided to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    What year model TJ do you have? From the website, it looks like the 2018 NX1 TJ's have a 10x141 rear hub and a boost 15x110 front hub. However, it looks like the 2017 NX1 TJ's have a boost 12x148 rear hub, with a non-boost fork (the website doesn't list the front spacing for some odd reason).

If you have the 2019 NX Eagle model, it's going to be boost 12x148 rear spacing and boost 15x110 fork spacing.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by thecreeper23 View Post
    The Salsa website shows the NX build comes with boost spaced hubs, so 15x110 (f) and 12x148 (r). Those are thru-axles, not the old QR style that requires skewers, if that's what you mean. You can use the same axles currently on the bike so long as you get the same size hubs on the second wheelset.

Assuming your fork will accommodate a 29 inch wheel, you want to run hubs that are also 15x110 and 12x148. So get a 29er boost wheelset. Some folks get a second cassette and install it on the new wheelset so you can swap back and forth quickly.
    There is an NX1 model (older '17 maybe) that has QR141. That's what I assumed the poster was talking about. If he has T/A boost he's golden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I believe mine is a 2018. Bought it August of last year, orange size medium and has a Judy fork. NX1 drivetrain, Tektro brakes. I can't seem to find wheel specs other than tire sizes and rim description anywhere.

mtbr member
    I believe mine is a 2018. Bought it August of last year, orange size medium and has a Judy fork. NX1 drivetrain, Tektro brakes. I can't seem to find wheel specs other than tire sizes and rim description anywhere.
    WTB scraper i40 2.0 brass nipple spokes
    32 holes formula hub
    141x10 qr rear
    boost front

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/archiv...rjack_nx1_27.5

you can easily buy the alternator dropouts and switch it to thru axle 148x12

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Looking for suggestions on a new tire setup. Just picked up a 27.5+ Timberjack, and hate the stock Rangers. I find them slow rolling on flat sections, and hate the handling. Canít wait to see them go! Obviously looking to go with something tubeless.

I want something fast rolling, but can handle the terrain of the NC mountains... Rocks, roots, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hellotravels View Post
    Looking for suggestions on a new tire setup. Just picked up a 27.5+ Timberjack, and hate the stock Rangers. I find them slow rolling on flat sections, and hate the handling. Canít wait to see them go! Obviously looking to go with something tubeless.

I want something fast rolling, but can handle the terrain of the NC mountains... Rocks, roots, etc.
    I went with a 2.8 Maxxis High Roller II on the front, with a 2.8 Rekon + on the back of my TJ. They handle better than the stock Rangers, have plenty of grip, and seem to be plenty tough enough to handle what little bit of riding I do in the NC mountains. However, I'm not sure that this setup is a ton faster rolling the flats than the stock Rangers. Maybe a bit faster, but not "blow your friend's doors off" faster.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by hellotravels View Post

Unfortunately I think that is the nature of 27.5+ tires. I do believe there is a benefit to plus on rough terrain, especially pointed down, but on flat wide open trail they are pretty slow IMO. I found the handling very vague and numb as well. I came from running 29 2.2 tires exclusively and it's a big learning curve for me. Tire pressure seems more sensitive as well. Before switching to 29" on my timberjack I'm going to give maxxis rekons a try(2.6 actual and 900 grams might be the sweet spot) I went from the stock rangers to 3.0 trail bosses and actually think the OEM rangers aren't bad in hindsight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    WTB scraper i40 2.0 brass nipple spokes
    32 holes formula hub
    141x10 qr rear
    boost front

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/archiv...rjack_nx1_27.5

you can easily buy the alternator dropouts and switch it to thru axle 148x12
    thanks for the help!

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Welp, I got my DHF/Rekon on there. I found out what the hype is all about.

Ima go ahead and double down on my respect for the stock tires. The DHF/Rekon combo defo has more grip, sure. But I'd have to go full on all the time to use it. The only time I ever felt the stock tires were dangerous was sand/gravel over hardpack.

I'm glad my 29er is Rekon/Ikon. I may even drop the front to a Rekon on the 27.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-mine.jpg  

crap! i gotta learn to climb. - 2011

Climbing ain't so bad. - 2019

mtbr member
    ^^^ looks the business!

I've been having some noise from the rear hub area. Happening in any gear with or without pedaling so it wasn't the drivetrain. I popped the wheel out and there's play in the axle, the drive side cone nut was finger-loose and greasy. I snugged it up to finger-tight and it felt gritty. So I guess it's all due a cleaning and adjustment, at best. I'd like to say F it and pop in a Swiss 350 but my bike budget is slim enough. (This is the 2018 QR141 version.)

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, yo.

I hope your hub overhaul goes well.

mtbr member
    For anyone with an opinion: if you had a QR141 version and you were upgrading the hub, would you convert the hub to QR with endcaps, or would you convert the frame to thru axle Alternator plates? Why?

DFMBA.org
    For anyone with an opinion: if you had a QR141 version and you were upgrading the hub, would you convert the hub to QR with endcaps, or would you convert the frame to thru axle Alternator plates? Why?
    Boost 148 thru axle with new Alternator plates. Much better aftermarket wheel and hub selection. Lotta selection for decent prices. (eBay).
    T/A is stiffer and holds a truer line through nastier terrain. T/A also aligns the wheel with the frame better because the interface is more robust. I just purchased the SLX 29 (vs the Deore model) and spent the extra $ for this reason, mainly. Might even be lighter than QR if the axle of the QR is steel.

mtbr member
    I'm tending toward the QR end caps just because plates+axle is more expensive and I want to keep using the trailer hitch a little longer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Good price

I am putting my wifeís 2019 Salsa Timberjack bike up for sale. She has never rode it. The Barron wheels have I9 hubs. I guess I shouldnít have upgraded it at all. Is $1900 a good price? I placed it on pink Ike so we will see.

The only thing stock is the dropper, cranks and breaks. Timberjack Thread-b1f1289d-187d-419f-9739-5152a43a4418.jpg
    Timberjack Thread-eea29d7a-c332-420a-a5f3-0d1d1f14c73f.jpeg
    Name:  06752DDB-9EDB-41BF-8844-8B7B9CB16D2B.jpeg
Views: 346
Size:  32.7 KB
    Timberjack Thread-771bb832-d1c8-4088-b459-bf86d2f8a9b7.jpg

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    You're better off returning to stock and selling and then selling the aftermarket parts ala carte.
    Last edited by ilmfat; 08-21-2019 at 07:46 PM. Reason: I hit enter too fast

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Hope hubs have easy conversion options. I bought a boosted Hope wheel knowing I was gonna QR it for one of the minion's TJs.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Hope-Pro-4...Boost-Rear-Hub

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I know there have been a bunch of posts on TJ sizing but I am in between sizes (a little over 6' with shorter legs) and would like to test one out before I buy. Unfortunately no shops nearby have them in stock so I was wondering if there is a big brand that has similar sizing/geometry that I could try in order to at least get a better idea. If not, I will order a large 27.5+ and hope for the best.

Any suggestions for a comparable geometry bike would be appreciated. Thanks.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by PMB06 View Post
    I know there have been a bunch of posts on TJ sizing but I am in between sizes (a little over 6' with shorter legs) and would like to test one out before I buy. Unfortunately no shops nearby have them in stock so I was wondering if there is a big brand that has similar sizing/geometry that I could try in order to at least get a better idea. If not, I will order a large 27.5+ and hope for the best.

Any suggestions for a comparable geometry bike would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Prob a large. My local dealer didn't have one either but she said Salsas run a little bigger and thought I'm def a large. The large has a 19" frame which I know will suit me well. I'm your same height (just shy of 6'1") and bought a large. Still waiting for it to be delivered. Maybe a Spec Fuse?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Prob a large. My local dealer didn't have one either but she said Salsas run a little bigger and thought I'm def a large. The large has a 19" frame which I know will suit me well. I'm your same height (just shy of 6'1") and bought a large. Still waiting for it to be delivered. Maybe a Spec Fuse?

Thanks. I will give that one a try.

_
    Mar 2004
    Picture from Friday's ride. Most recent additions include a 28t RF chainring and SunRace 11-46 Cassette. (lots of steep climbs in SoCal)

Timberjack Thread-bdee_tj.jpg

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee View Post
    Picture from Friday's ride. Most recent additions include a 28t RF chainring and SunRace 11-46 Cassette. (lots of steep climbs in SoCal)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bdee_tj.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	460.0 KB 
ID:	1274483
    With steep climbs, comes steep descents. What brakes are on your TJ and do you like them well enough?

_
    Mar 2004
    With steep climbs, comes steep descents. What brakes are on your TJ and do you like them well enough?

The stock Shimano MT201. They are ok and get the job done. I wouldn't mind shorter levers though. I have to scoot the levers way inward towards the stem to get them to align nicely with my index finger for maximum leverage. :/

mtbr member

29-curious

how many of you swap between 29 and 27.5+?

I've been checking the wheelset sales, and it got me curious about the 29er-non-plus world...

I'm considering the raceface aeffect R 30mm wheelset; I'll probably throw on 2.4, 2.5, or 2.6 tires.

feel free to chime in

mtbr member
    I've had my TJ almost 2 years and just made the switch to a 29r wheelset. I opted for a Stan's FLOW wheelset off of pink bike with DT Swiss 350 hubs. I put a set of WTB Trail Boss 2.6 inch tires on front and rear and... the bike is a monster. Really surprised how different it rides at about an inch higher off the ground. Still deciding whether or not I love it. Those 29x2.6 inch tires will roll over anything though, definitely noticing how much more I can plow through stuff.

Timberjack Thread-img_5869-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnating View Post
    I've had my TJ almost 2 years and just made the switch to a 29r wheelset. I opted for a Stan's FLOW wheelset off of pink bike with DT Swiss 350 hubs. I put a set of WTB Trail Boss 2.6 inch tires on front and rear and... the bike is a monster. Really surprised how different it rides at about an inch higher off the ground. Still deciding whether or not I love it. Those 29x2.6 inch tires will roll over anything though, definitely noticing how much more I can plow through stuff.

Name:	IMG_5869 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	359.1 KB 
ID:	1274781
    Nice! it's been awhile since we've seen your bike!

So you do notice a difference? I was afraid that at 2.6" that it would be too similar to the 27.5x2.8.

did you buy another set of rotors and cogs? or did you swap them over from the sunringle?

mtbr member
    Nice! it's been awhile since we've seen your bike!

So you do notice a difference? I was afraid that at 2.6" that it would be too similar to the 27.5x2.8.

did you buy another set of rotors and cogs? or did you swap them over from the sunringle?
    Thank you! Yes, quite a bit of difference for sure. I just transferred the cassette and rotors, so not exactly a quick swap set up. Also, to fit the big 2.6 inch tires, I did need to adjust the alternator drop out. When I first tried to install them the rear tire wouldn't even spin.

Here's the alternator instructions from Salsa: https://salsacycles.com/files/tech/8...ut_Instr_F.pdf

DFMBA.org

Name:	IMG_5869 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	359.1 KB 
ID:	1274781
    Is that the stock dropper? How's that been holding up?

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee View Post
    The stock Shimano MT201. They are ok and get the job done. I wouldn't mind shorter levers though. I have to scoot the levers way inward towards the stem to get them to align nicely with my index finger for maximum leverage. :/
    I suspect with these brakes, one really can't change levers. Do you think you'll move to different brakes at all? A 3-finger lever would drive me crazy too.

mtbr member
    Thank you! Yes, quite a bit of difference for sure. I just transferred the cassette and rotors, so not exactly a quick swap set up. Also, to fit the big 2.6 inch tires, I did need to adjust the alternator drop out. When I first tried to install them the rear tire wouldn't even spin.

Here's the alternator instructions from Salsa: https://salsacycles.com/files/tech/8...ut_Instr_F.pdf
    "Quite a bit different", hmm, I'm intrigued. Originally I was going to another set of rotors and cogs, though.

I have the drop out all the way forward, I wonder how the 2.4 tires would fare.

mtbr member
    Is that the stock dropper? How's that been holding up?
    My 2018 SLX build didn't come with a dropper. Picked up a Fox Transfer post when I bought the bike and it's been great!

mtbr member
    I adjusted my rear axle (18 NX has cup and cone). Bike is still making noise. I'll take off the fenders and frame bag and see if that isolates it.

Anyone have any more new ideas on tires? I've been shopping labor day sales. Specialized has butcher/slaughter at a slight mark down. Universal has NN pace star / trail star at deep discount, could do soft front and fast rear, but no one seems to love them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm a 29+ rider (different bike) but I'm tall, got my wife a medium TJ with 27.5+ and it fits her excellent. Talking to a lot of my riding buddies, I think wheel size should match rider size for the most part.

As a big rider I can handle my 29+ monster fine, but I've seen some small frame riders where 29+ rides them.

If you're big enough to handle big tires, then I say bigger the better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    I'm a 29+ rider (different bike) but I'm tall, got my wife a medium TJ with 27.5+ and it fits her excellent. Talking to a lot of my riding buddies, I think wheel size should match rider size for the most part.

As a big rider I can handle my 29+ monster fine, but I've seen some small frame riders where 29+ rides them.

If you're big enough to handle big tires, then I say bigger the better!
    are you trying to tell us that only fat people can ride fat tire bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by smithhl1 View Post

No I moved 3 and put above stem. But I just put back my old stem the way it was set up from manufacturer and it still has a small bit of play, Iím going to take it to my lbs and see if I need an extra spacer. Iíll keep you posted. If you look in the pic you can see some of my steering post I donít believe youíre suppose to see that, it would cause contamination inside the headset. Can someone else send a photo to see if they have the same thing?
    For those experiencing this headset gap, I too also notice said gap after I installed a new fork. After some investigation, Cane Creek confirmed that Salsa switched to the 5 series headset instead of the 10 series that was listed on the website. And that the gap is normal for the cheap 5 series headset.

I picked up a Hellbender 70 headset and plan on installing it this weekend.

Name:  hellbender70zs4456whiteBG-500x500.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  18.9 KB

should I use the cane creek top cap or keep using the salsa cap?

DFMBA.org
    are you trying to tell us that only fat people can ride fat tire bikes?

For those experiencing this headset gap, I too also notice said gap after I installed a new fork. After some investigation, Cane Creek confirmed that Salsa switched to the 5 series headset instead of the 10 series that was listed on the website. And that the gap is normal for the cheap 5 series headset.

I picked up a Hellbender 70 headset and plan on installing it this weekend.

Name:  hellbender70zs4456whiteBG-500x500.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  18.9 KB

My vote: https://www.jensonusa.com/Niner-Yawyd-Top-Cap

Timberjack Thread-333b9868-73c7-492b-ad7b-121c00de44fb.jpg

mtbr member
    I put the one up EDC tool on mine, pretty awesome little tool!
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    I stopped at a local bike store who sell Specialized and WTB tires. I looked at the tires on the wall and the first thing that leapt out to me is that there were NO plus tires. "We can order them." Yeah, so can anyone. I also noticed that the newer Eliminator tire looks to me exactly like the Purgatory. There must be some difference, because the Eliminator is marketed as a rougher enduro tire, but they have the same look. I saw that a lot of their Specialized bikes came Butcher front, Purgatory rear but the 6fattie was Purgatory front, Ground Control rear.

So I've hatched a new plan. When my rear Ranger is finally totally done, I'll move the front Ranger to the back, and put something slightly gnarlier on the front. And I can keep doing this for a few steps.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007

#CultOfTheCogCornucopia

"Though rejuvenation can be a long process, even cast off and forgotten remnants of our previous experiences can be unearthed and assembled. Though the resultant entity may lack aesthetic appeal, the amalgamation will still find use in Our Horde's fleet." - The Mechanical Minister

Not sure which brakes yet. I may do Spykes just so I can run yellow housing. If I keep it for myself, I may sell a kidney for an orange Float 36 and limit the travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-jprdan.jpg  

mtbr member
    Side quest in the Case of the Growly Bearings. I took the caliper off to try to completely eliminate it as the culprit. And that wasn't it, but I also discovered the post mount adapter wasn't flat. Details:
    https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-question.html

mtbr member
    Welp

Timberjack Thread-0e5beecf_90c5_4642_beee_dd855f8a7590_7a49be88fb1b1970eb489c04930de5cab6d9fd70.jpg

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Better than still tracking down the culprit, though, right? Especially since now you "need" new wheels.

mtbr member
    I want an $800 wheel set but I only need a $10 cone :-/

Consumer grade bicycles are a case study in how to make something good out of parts that are barely good enough by judicious application of engineering and quality at the crucial locations. The cups and cones are one of those. These cones? Ehhh....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-5e2ccaff_e0d4_40a3_9df9_ed24a1dc8462_d251ffeb8429a11067f704fa1e31eaea78e0674c.jpg  

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-06-2019 at 10:53 PM.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    At least you're "stuck" with scraper 40s instead of the (heavier than Flows) i23s from the 2018 29er NX.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Or should I stfu and quit TRYing to help?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    How is the TimerJack in rigid config? Is it good enough for MTB cause I am really like the price of the frame. Also, is the 2020 model out yet, if so any difference besides maybe color?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I just built this bike with rigid fork. Very capable and versatile bike, as a touring bike at least. Just did a trip from east to west in Norway, mostly on gravel, but also some singletracks.
    If itís good enough gonna depend on what type of riding you do, it obviously has some limitations when itís very rocky, like every rigid bike.

Timberjack Thread-c9b04d07-8fa8-4c04-8179-c2a68eb0b94c.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Build Complete! I got a ton of inspiration from this thread. Thanks everyone!

Timberjack Frame (small)
    MRP Ribbon Air fork
    i9 305 29'er Hydra wheelset - all silver
    29 x 2.5 DHF / 29 x 2.4 Onza Ibex (tires soon to be swapped for 2.6s)
    Next R 780mm bars
    Next R cranks (170mm)
    Sram GX 11 spd w/ e13+ casette
    Sram Guide RS brakes w/ 180mm rotors
    BikeYoke Revive 125mm dropper
    Chromag saddle

2 more weeks til I can ride (recovering from an injury)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by northerly View Post
    I just built this bike with rigid fork. Very capable and versatile bike, as a touring bike at least. Just did a trip from east to west in Norway, mostly on gravel, but also some singletracks.
    If itís good enough gonna depend on what type of riding you do, it obviously has some limitations when itís very rocky, like every rigid bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by quivvy View Post

Timberjack Frame (small)
    MRP Ribbon Air fork
    Next R 780mm bars
    Next R cranks (170mm)
    Chromag saddle

Very nice looking setups!
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member

Timberjack Frame (small)
    MRP Ribbon Air fork
    Next R 780mm bars
    Next R cranks (170mm)
    Chromag saddle

sweet build!

what travel fork?

I am curious about the 29er setup for myself, any particular reason you are switching the 2.5/2.4 to the 2.6s?

_
    Mar 2004
    I stopped at a local bike store who sell Specialized and WTB tires. I looked at the tires on the wall and the first thing that leapt out to me is that there were NO plus tires. "We can order them." Yeah, so can anyone. I also noticed that the newer Eliminator tire looks to me exactly like the Purgatory. There must be some difference, because the Eliminator is marketed as a rougher enduro tire, but they have the same look. I saw that a lot of their Specialized bikes came Butcher front, Purgatory rear but the 6fattie was Purgatory front, Ground Control rear.

So I've hatched a new plan. When my rear Ranger is finally totally done, I'll move the front Ranger to the back, and put something slightly gnarlier on the front. And I can keep doing this for a few steps.
    That is what I run on my TJ, 3.0" Purg up front with 3.0" GC on the back, great combo imho.

mtbr member
    Hub back together with cheap replacement cone, obtained from cheap replacement axle, all working fine.

@quivvy that is a heavy duty build! All the stuff I want but can't afford.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    sweet build!

what travel fork?

I am curious about the 29er setup for myself, any particular reason you are switching the 2.5/2.4 to the 2.6s?
    Fork is at 150mm now (takeoff from another build). I will likely adjust travel to 140 or 130 soon at the next service.

The reason to switch from 2.5/ 2.4 is only because I have some 2.6s laying around and LOVE 2.6 tires. The added squish for a hardtail + gobs of traction = WICKED FUN

@Dark Lefty - Thanks

G_J
    Gear_Junkie

Finally get to join this thread...

Well, I finally get to join this thread. I just finished slooooowly building a TJ over the past couple weeks. I finished it over the weekend and rode it to work yesterday. I dig it! I'm going to break it in on 1 more commute before I hit the trails.

I'm coming from a 2010 Fuel EX 8. I wanted something a little different and boy did I get it! I LOVE the 29" wheels! I'm still getting used to the lower geometry though.

The one thing I can't figure out is the pedal bob that I'm getting. Any time my pedaling cadence get close to 60rpm, I start bouncing up and down like a little kid on a horse??? I have the tires at 30ps rear and 27psi front, which is close to the max for my rims. The cockpit is comfortable and my legs get just about full extension... I can't figure it out??? I wonder if I'll just have to adjust how I pedal???

Timberjack Thread-salsa-tj.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G_J View Post
    Well, I finally get to join this thread. I just finished slooooowly building a TJ over the past couple weeks. I finished it over the weekend and rode it to work yesterday. I dig it! I'm going to break it in on 1 more commute before I hit the trails.

I'm coming from a 2010 Fuel EX 8. I wanted something a little different and boy did I get it! I LOVE the 29" wheels! I'm still getting used to the lower geometry though.

The one thing I can't figure out is the pedal bob that I'm getting. Any time my pedaling cadence get close to 60rpm, I start bouncing up and down like a little kid on a horse??? I have the tires at 30ps rear and 27psi front, which is close to the max for my rims. The cockpit is comfortable and my legs get just about full extension... I can't figure it out??? I wonder if I'll just have to adjust how I pedal???
    nice! i was considering the flow wheels for a 29er setup

not sure why you're getting the bob when pedaling

but cant wait to hear how you like the bike on the trails

mtbr member
    GJ- nice looking build. All black is always nice. I get the bouncy thing on mine too sometimes with 27.5+ wheels. Especially when i am riding it on a paved path. I think it is a hardtail thing and goes away when i concentrate on pedaling more smoothly. Its rarely an issue on trails because my cadence is alwayss fluctuating with the terrain.

mtbr member
    You're not allowed to talk about pedal bob on hard tails, it's against the rules.

I'm not a strong rider but I can get some fork action when mashing. How's your damping feel?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I just got my first "real" mountain bike! Went with the 2019 TJ Deore 29. I can't wait to hit the trails! I'll post a pic as soon as I get clearance to do so since I'm so new

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

G_J
    Gear_Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    GJ- nice looking build. All black is always nice. I get the bouncy thing on mine too sometimes with 27.5+ wheels. Especially when i am riding it on a paved path. I think it is a hardtail thing and goes away when i concentrate on pedaling more smoothly. Its rarely an issue on trails because my cadence is alwayss fluctuating with the terrain.
    I think you're right and I just need to try to pedal in a more circular motion. I'm liking the all black too - my last bike was mostly white, I definitely got the change I wanted.

Thanks.

G_J
    Gear_Junkie
    You're not allowed to talk about pedal bob on hard tails, it's against the rules.

I'm not a strong rider but I can get some fork action when mashing. How's your damping feel?
    I'm not sure how the damping on this fork is yet - I haven't had a chance to hit the trail - hopefully next week. Honestly, it may be tough for me to notice given just how plush these 2.5" 29 tires are! I'm REALLY digging these so far and I've only been on the road!

G_J
    Gear_Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer_Rackham42 View Post
    I just got my first "real" mountain bike! Went with the 2019 TJ Deore 29. I can't wait to hit the trails! I'll post a pic as soon as I get clearance to do so since I'm so new

Congrats!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

... and if we just ... The Build is Almost Done!

I'm just about finished with my build which means I can finally post on this thread.

I walked into my LBS looking for a hard tail. They had an XL 2017 Salsa Timberjack NX1 29 in deep red that they never sold. I ended up buying it for $700 flat, and shortly thereafter invested in the following upgrades:

Manitou Mattoc Comp Boost Fork w/ Dorado Air Spring, 130mm
    Raceface AR40 32h Wheelset with decentish hubs
    Maxxis High Roller II 27.5x2.8 EXO/TR tire (front, set up tubeless)
    Maxxis Ikon 27.5x2.8 EXO/TR tire (rear, set up tubeless)
    50mm Salsa Guide Stem (wishing I would have done 40 or 35, will change eventually)
    Red VP Vice Pedals
    SDG Slater Red Grips
    Salsa Alternator Drop Out Plates
    Sram GX 10-42 Cassette

I think I spent around $1250 total including the cost of the frame. I'll throw a dropper post on it eventually and call it a day. Love the frame, stoked about the bike, and appreciate everyone's help on this thread. I'm a little over 6"1 (6"1.5 but I round down) and the XL fits me great with a 50mm stem (although 35 or 40 would probably be tad better). The standover is a little high, but is manageable and I can stand over it with the slightest bend in my legs.The large would also work, but it wasn't on sale for $700. I think it would definitely have better stand over, but I am happy that I can use a shorter stem on the XL to whip the bike around.

I'll add pics of Ralph next week when he's finished and looking his finest. I also couldn't' stand the decals on the fork i bought, so I took them off. My wife is artistically inclined, and we are brainstorming how she can re-design them.
    Last edited by Slim Ricki; 09-23-2019 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    How is the timberjack for climbing? Would 27.5+ or 29 be better for climbing 6%+ grades with sand and rock?

mtbr member
    Sounds fun, Slik Graphics will print custom decals for your fork. They will do custom colors, patterns, or totally custom designs. Also check out their instagram account for some inspiration https://www.slikgraphics.com/collect...-pro-decal-kit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    How is the timberjack for climbing? Would 27.5+ or 29 be better for climbing 6%+ grades with sand and rock?
    Its like any other hardtail. 27+ has tons and tons of traction for climbing. The wheels are heavy though, so not exactly fast. The best bike for climbing, in my opinion, is a full suspension 29er built to be as light as possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've run both (not on the TJ yet but on other bikes) and I much prefer the 29er. Before I went to 29er, I was sold on 27.5+. I feel like 29er has nearly every advantage of plus, but is faster. Now with 2.6s I don't see the need for 27.5+ (and I'm a short, 5'3" rider).

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    That sounds awesome, thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I've run both (not on the TJ yet but on other bikes) and I much prefer the 29er. Before I went to 29er, I was sold on 27.5+. I feel like 29er has nearly every advantage of plus, but is faster. Now with 2.6s I don't see the need for 27.5+ (and I'm a short, 5'3" rider).
    I take all TJ years can handle 29x2.6 or is it specific years?

_
    Mar 2004
    My 2019 TimberJack at Aliso/Woods Canyon, Southern California from Sunday mornings ride.

mtbr member
    Anyone else find the stock seat on the TJ to be brutal ? I went on a mini vaca for 4 days...I rode for two days...I had to take one day off in between because my tailbone was killing me.
    ​SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

_
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingBuffalo View Post
    Anyone else find the stock seat on the TJ to be brutal ? I went on a mini vaca for 4 days...I rode for two days...I had to take one day off in between because my tailbone was killing me.
    Yes!!! In fact I was just telling my riding buddies I canít stand it anymore! I have about 200 miles logged on the bike (weekend warrior averaging 12-14 mile rides) and the saddle sucks! Often times my legs are still feeling good as well as my cardio....but the damn ďass-factorĒ is so strong that I feel like I have to end the ride sooner than I want.

Iím not looking to spend more than $50 on one so Iíve been looking at a WTB Speed in the 150mm width. Had that on previous bikes and liked it. I donít care if it is ďheavyĒ.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Does Salsa or lbs offer deals in the winter on the previous year(2019 or 2018) frames? Really tempted to make the TimberJack in a 27.5+ model my +1 bike and would like to lower cost as much as I can. Saw a youtube review of the Timberjack with the Surly KM/Krampus rigid fork and it looks tempting ride to build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Wait the Krampus rigid fork fits and works with TJ? I take the Electric Queen fork would also work? How is it mixing alloy with a steel fork? Will a plus bike Surly or Salsa fork work or is that a no?

mtbr member
    Does Salsa or lbs offer deals in the winter on the previous year(2019 or 2018) frames? Really tempted to make the TimberJack in a 27.5+ model my +1 bike and would like to lower cost as much as I can. Saw a youtube review of the Timberjack with the Surly KM/Krampus rigid fork and it looks tempting ride to build.
    Yes, youd have to look around for them though because they are more motivated to advertise/promote the current models with the latest paint schemes

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Yeah, I did that. Called a local REI, and said 2019 are only $150 off the retail price for the base no sale on the frame. Said they will be having a gear sale in october, and the TJ could be included in the sale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Yeah that might have decent sales, but in my experience it's hard to find your size so it a Timberjack on sale would be really tough find.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I did that. Called a local REI, and said 2019 are only $150 off the retail price for the base no sale on the frame. Said they will be having a gear sale in october, and the TJ could be included in the sale.
    Thatís probably about as much of a discount as you will be able to find. Also if youre a member at rei, you would get the dividend at the end of the year. Its not huge but its something.

You could probably find a used one for a smoking deal

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Not seeing any smoking deals on a used one yet, and even the used ones REI carry are like one time used ones, which is why it's $150 off. Would still be out of budget.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    What size are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Medium.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Not frame only, and wheels are 29s, but the spec makes it a good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Salsa-Timbe...UAAOSwNx5dcns-

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    whoops
    Last edited by ilmfat; 09-30-2019 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Comment invalid

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingBuffalo View Post
    Yes!! I picked up my new TJ last week and immediately noticed that it came with a 135mm wide saddle. I didnít even leave my LBS without ordering a 150mm chromoly replacement. Rode yesterday with the 135 and could barely get thru 15 miles. Felt like I was being cut in half!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    Not frame only, and wheels are 29s, but the spec makes it a good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Salsa-Timbe...UAAOSwNx5dcns-
    If that was within my budget that would be a very good deal .

mtbr member
    Yes!! I picked up my new TJ last week and immediately noticed that it came with a 135mm wide saddle. I didnít even leave my LBS without ordering a 150mm chromoly replacement. Rode yesterday with the 135 and could barely get thru 15 miles. Felt like I was being cut in half!
    yea... what's with the 135mm saddle?

I just looked at the WTB saddle measurement that's based off of your wrist, I'm a 142mm saddle. I've heard good things about ergon, but they only have two sizes... which is odd after they have you jump through hoops with all of your body measurements...

mtbr member
    so I have that frame, black with "rust" colour lettering?

Now I know for sure that, neither copper nor orange is a good match for the lettering.

Are those letters painting on? I didn't feel any edges... anyone successfully change the colours of those letters?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Which would be the better climber 27.5+ tire TJ or 29 TJ?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Depends which year.

The 2017/18 i23 rims weigh almost as much as the i40s.

2019/20 use newer generation i29s for the 29ers.

Hence my willingness to donate the i23s.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I'm rolling 27.5 Rekons on Spank wheels and the only problem climbing I have is I like my chainstays short.

DFMBA.org
    Depends if you need contact patch or just better speed going uphill. Max traction is probably going to be the 27.5+ (2.8"?). 29 for the momentum, but that's just my experience. I chose a 29" because I love 29ers and I'm a taller rider t 6'1". I also removed the stock rear 2.6" tire on my SLX and replaced it with a Bonty XR4 Team 2.4" because I don't want to drag around extra weight in the back. It's a really nice compromise and it saved a couple hundred grams in the process.
    Timberjack Thread-bonty.jpg

mtbr member
    Commuting detour through the blackberry patch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-a8f484f1_b83a_41fc_b881_d3c8833f2d2a_243175914453892a6936c898b2ef2b9c9d62de0b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Depends if you need contact patch or just better speed going uphill. Max traction is probably going to be the 27.5+ (2.8"?). 29 for the momentum, but that's just my experience. I chose a 29" because I love 29ers and I'm a taller rider t 6'1". I also removed the stock rear 2.6" tire on my SLX and replaced it with a Bonty XR4 Team 2.4" because I don't want to drag around extra weight in the back. It's a really nice compromise and it saved a couple hundred grams in the process.

Name:	bonty.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	1283353
    Thank you do you know off hand what the weight difference between 27.5+ and 29 model is?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thank you do you know off hand what the weight difference between 27.5+ and 29 model is?

Hey Funoutside, I'm not sure off hand what the weight difference is in the two, I think that would be very dependent on the tires/rims you have set up. In general, 27.5+ is slightly heavier from what I understand. When i swapped mine out I could tell the weight difference picking it up, but not significantly so and it doesn't bother me when riding. However, I swapped rims as well so who knows.

As for climbing, 27.5+ should give you more traction and perhaps make the climbs easier, but you may not go as fast up the hill. But, once again, this is also super dependent on tire choice and what type of terrain you are riding. If you're in between 29 and 27.5+, here is a video that helped me make my decision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6TMA2vI8bA

IMHO, 27.5+ is the way to go. It takes some of the harshness out of the ride, and gives you a lot more control/traction. This, for me, outweighs the benefit of going a little bit faster (which i'm not even convinced that 29 is faster in general) as I'm not racing anyone and I can keep up with my buddies just fine on the 27.5+. Also, IMHO a lot of the reviews I read on people saying they feel slower on 27.5+ come down to placebo affect. We've been taught that wider tire = slower, which just isn't true. There is a point where the rotating mass slows the bike down, but the reduction in rolling resistance that comes from plus tires on all terrain except tarmac outweighs this for the most part. People may "feel" slower, but if they are expecting to "feel" slower on the bike this should be no surprise. And yes, i say decreased rolling resistance, as the tire is absorbing more chatter and not being bounced around/ re-directed. There are a lot of articles on this you can find online.

But, either way, it's not like running 29 is going to make going downhill terribly hard or like running 27.5+ is going to make you go at a snails pace. The bike is a blast to ride on either, so I would go with the one your gut is telling you to pick and just start riding. You won't regret either option, and this is coming from someone who has ridden both on the same frame. To show just how much preference this is, I'm also a little over 6'1 but prefer 27.5+ because I ride an XL frame that is already long, and the 27.5+ make the bike seem more playful. They also lower the standover a tiny bit, which helped me out a lot. If I had a large frame, I would probably have gone with 29 x 2.6.

In conclusion, my vote is 27.5+, but I think both options are great and that you'll have fun on either. Go with your gut, and don't look back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Per the Salsa website, the weight difference between equal builds is the 29 is 13 oz lighter...

YMMV

Lon

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I think the price has dropped a bit on this, which is for sure a great deal. If you can swing it, that fork will bring you more benefits than tire choice. When I switched my QR manitou fork to a 34mm thru axle fork, the difference was beautiful. Switiching out tires will also run you atleast $200-$300 on a different build, and the stock tires on the NX versions are really bad/not tubeless compatible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Oh, 27.5+ is a little over 3/4 of a pound more than 29. It doesn't seem that significant then. Yeah if I went Timberjack I'd go the 27.5+ route. I keep thinking I don't need another bike, but then on certain trail it has be wishing I had wider tires(than 29x1.9). I think weight is about the same between the Wolverine and Timberjack.

Related question, is there a discontinued model that is similar to the Timberjack?

mtbr member
    Unless the majority of your trails are loose and crumbly, I think 29er wins out on everything.

I had a Kona Big Honzo DL, and just couldn't vibe with the plus tires. I liked it at first - but if you like to go fast and like more technical trails, the plus tires just can't keep up. Tires felt squirmy at the low pressures recommended for these tires when cornering hard. I got a lot of rim strikes. Add more pressure and the rear end is so damned bouncy (even more bouncy than a hardtail normally is) because of those big balloon tires.

I think 29x2.5 does everything better if you're riding aggressively. For backpacking or something, 27.5+ is probably the way to go though.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    What is the max tire clearance for 29? Is it 2.5 or 2.6?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Pretty sure someone was running a 3" tire a few pages back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    Pretty sure someone was running a 3" tire a few pages back.
    Yes. Go back to page 9 and check out posts 1604, 1608 and 1634...there may be others but it has been done.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2 (ironically, bike was stolen)
    2015 Salsa Beargrease 2
    2018 Yeti SB4.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Is this for a specific model year or could all the models fit 29+ tires?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I wonder why Salsa didn't also mention it can hold plus 29 tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LezRide View Post
    What is the max tire clearance for 29? Is it 2.5 or 2.6?
    Officially 29x2.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LezRide View Post
    I wonder why Salsa didn't also mention it can hold plus 29 tires.
    They need something like 6mm clearance around the tires in order to keep the cockroaches, i mean lawyers, happy. Thats why bike brands list maximum tire sizes on the conservative side compared to wat is actually possible to run if you are OK wwith very little mud clearance. My 27.5x3 tires rub pretty bad with even a little mud on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I know the TJ 29 can also use 27.5+ tires but that mean you could also use non-plus 27.5s? I don't feel a need for the plus sized tires but think the regular 27.5s might be cool as a spare set for a more agile ride? I also know next to nothing so that could be completely off base

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I know the TJ 29 can also use 27.5+ tires but that mean you could also use non-plus 27.5s? I don't feel a need for the plus sized tires but think the regular 27.5s might be cool as a spare set for a more agile ride? I also know next to nothing so that could be completely off base
    The TJ will "function" with any 27.5 tires. The wheels will roll, the gears will shift, the brakes will slow you. But the bottom bracket will be significantly lower / closer to the ground, and that will increase the likelihood/instances of pedal strike (bad), and also lower your center of gravity (= good up to a point). Ultimately your TJ isn't designed for 27.5x2.3 tires so it will perform, in theory and to a large extent in practice, sub-optimally.

If you sort of don't like the bouncy/squish of 27.5 x 2.8 or 3.0, I would suggest trying 2.6 and balance the various trade-offs.

mtbr member
    It would probably be fine most of the time... is the best anyone can say about it.

Itís not an ďagileĒ bike, itís a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    The TJ will "function" with any 27.5 tires. The wheels will roll, the gears will shift, the brakes will slow you. But the bottom bracket will be significantly lower / closer to the ground, and that will increase the likelihood/instances of pedal strike (bad), and also lower your center of gravity (= good up to a point). Ultimately your TJ isn't designed for 27.5x2.3 tires so it will perform, in theory and to a large extent in practice, sub-optimally.

If you sort of don't like the bouncy/squish of 27.5 x 2.8 or 3.0, I would suggest trying 2.6 and balance the various trade-offs.
    Yea I wasn't thinking of going with 2.3s or anything that narrow. I've got the 29x2.6 WTBs that came with it and I like them a lot, I just don't know if 27.5s will give me a little more control. Or even if that's the best way of getting more control over the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    It would probably be fine most of the time... is the best anyone can say about it.

Itís not an ďagileĒ bike, itís a trail bike.
    I know it isn't an "agile" bike but there's got to be things you can tweak to make it "more" agile

mtbr member
    Have you considered a rigid fork?

mtbr member
    If anyone was remotely paying attention to my tire indecision, I got a clearance 3" Nobby Nic Trail Star from Universal. When I have chance or have no choice, I'll put it on the front and move the front Ranger to the back and the back Ranger to the trash can

mtbr member
    Yea I wasn't thinking of going with 2.3s or anything that narrow. I've got the 29x2.6 WTBs that came with it and I like them a lot, I just don't know if 27.5s will give me a little more control. Or even if that's the best way of getting more control over the bike.

I am constantly considering wheel/tire options:

my TJ came with 27.5x2.8 with 41mm rims. so fitting tires less than 2.8 would be "sub-optimal"

so I figured that the options for trying skinnier tires are:

1. get 29er wheelset

or

B. get 30mm 27.5 wheelset and try 2.6 tires

I'm leaning towards doing nothing

but if I were to choose, I'd probably choose the 29er wheelset as that's what the bike is designed for and I hear a lot of praises for 29ers and a lot of people busting the myth that 29ers are less agile.

mtbr member
    I put a 2019 Timberjack frame on layaway at my preferred LBS. Stoked to get it built up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post

I have been running mine with 2.4/2.3 F/R for probably 300 of the 500 miles i have put on my TJ...I love it and it feels great to me in my particular instance. Whether that is optimal...well it's probably not optimal LOL

She's a tank though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-timberjack.jpg  

"Wherever you go, there you are."

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am constantly considering wheel/tire options:

my TJ came with 27.5x2.8 with 41mm rims. so fitting tires less than 2.8 would be "sub-optimal"

so I figured that the options for trying skinnier tires are:

1. get 29er wheelset

or

B. get 30mm 27.5 wheelset and try 2.6 tires

I'm leaning towards doing nothing

but if I were to choose, I'd probably choose the 29er wheelset as that's what the bike is designed for and I hear a lot of praises for 29ers and a lot of people busting the myth that 29ers are less agile.
    I'm running 30mm internal 29er wheels with 2.6 tires and LOVE it.

On a different 27.5 specific hardtail (Chromag Stylus) I have also run 2.5 - 2.8 tires on 36mm internal rims (i9 backcountry 360s). I've experimented a ton with with wheel sizes and tire sizes. I gotta say, light 29er wheels with 2.4 - 2.6 tires are the sweet spot for me. I find them MORE agile than 27.5 x 2.8 which feel a bit more sluggish and less responsive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinM4n View Post
    I have been running mine with 2.4/2.3 F/R for probably 300 of the 500 miles i have put on my TJ...I love it and it feels great to me in my particular instance. Whether that is optimal...well it's probably not optimal LOL

She's a tank though
    assuming you are talking about 27.5x2.4/2.3? I really wanted the minion SS for the rear! but had to get specialized slaughter at 27.5x2.8

I'm running 30mm internal 29er wheels with 2.6 tires and LOVE it.

On a different 27.5 specific hardtail (Chromag Stylus) I have also run 2.5 - 2.8 tires on 36mm internal rims (i9 backcountry 360s). I've experimented a ton with with wheel sizes and tire sizes. I gotta say, light 29er wheels with 2.4 - 2.6 tires are the sweet spot for me. I find them MORE agile than 27.5 x 2.8 which feel a bit more sluggish and less responsive.
    Yea, I'm dying to try the timberjack on 29ers (2.4-2.6)

how do you like your newly built TJ? How many rides have you gotten in?have you shorten your fork yet?

mtbr member
    assuming you are talking about 27.5x2.4/2.3? I really wanted the minion SS for the rear! but had to get specialized slaughter at 27.5x2.8
    I run the High Roller II 27.5x2.4 up front and Minion SS 27.5x2.3 out back. So far this setup hasn't failed me on any trails as far as traction. I may slap an Assegai out front next time but will be sticking with the Minion SS out back

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Yea, I'm dying to try the timberjack on 29ers (2.4-2.6)

how do you like your newly built TJ? How many rides have you gotten in?have you shorten your fork yet?
    I'm really liking the new TJ. I've been riding really aggressive (modern) trail bikes and wanted a hardtail thats a bit more "all around" for endurance rides and training rides from home (trails are 5-7 miles from the house). Riding a full squish for 10-14 miles round trip just wasn't super fun, so a hardtail was in order. I am recovering from a bike injury (fractured/sprained ankle) and only have ~50 miles or so on it with a mix of road, gravel, fire roads, and very mild single track while I rehab my ankle. So far, I really, really like it. It's comfortable, well balanced, pedals and climbs well, and feels wicked fast. At some point, it will be converted to a single speed. So far I haven't shortened the fork (I really like the HA where it's at now) and run my stem pretty much slammed. Keep ya posted after I have some more miles (and more single track) on it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone know how long of a brake hose I would need for the rear brake on an XL frame?

mtbr member
    I would suspect that a 2100mm hose should do just fine. I haven't had to replace mine on my L but even on an XL full squish bike I recently built the 2100mm was fine

Skin

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    Anyone know which Oval gear to use? I started looking at them and apparently they come in 0, 3, and 6mm offsets.

Any help? Looking to swap a 2018 NX out for a 30T Oval.

(I did search )
    Salsa Timberjack GX (2018)

mtbr member
    As in chainline offset? What brand?

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    I was looking at ABSOLUTE BLACK SRAM Oval Direct Mount Traction Chainring on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQWH2ZQ/ or
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J7UAB5C

My bike is stock with 148 boost and the GX drivetrain and NX (boost) crank.
    Salsa Timberjack GX (2018)

mtbr member
    The offset of the ring is just for adjusting your chainline. If the drivetrain is working well with the ring that came on it, try and stay as close to that offset.

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    check this out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-sram-offset.jpg  

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    0mm offset for super Boost Plus
    3mm offset for Boost
    6mm offset for non-Boost

What is the direct mount style or bolt circle diameter for your crank? I might have a few old oval chainrings lying around that are raceface direct mount and 104bcd.

edit: now I see that it is sram direct mount. I dont have any of those, sorry

mtbr member
    For all timberjacks running non-plus 27.5 tires...

I run the High Roller II 27.5x2.4 up front and Minion SS 27.5x2.3 out back. So far this setup hasn't failed me on any trails as far as traction. I may slap an Assegai out front next time but will be sticking with the Minion SS out back
    did you guys keep the 29/27.5+ fork or did you guys swap out for the 27.5 fork?

mtbr member
    For all timberjacks running non-plus 27.5 tires...

did you guys keep the 29/27.5+ fork or did you guys swap out for the 27.5 fork?
    I had the original 29er fork on there for a while but I had an extra 27.5 fork laying around which was an upgrade from the OEM so I mounted it,

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

29ers Forever
    I bought a Timberjack SLX 27.5 + in July and haven't ridden it much. The dropper post is producing this strange white foam substance that gets everywhere, the fork is a pogo stick no matter how much air I add, and the tires offer no grip.
    I swapped out the bars and stem for more reach, allowing it to climb without looping out. Now that I have a need for a proper backcountry tech rig (the one type of riding where my trail bike is almost too big), I want to put money into replacing the parts that make it unbearable to ride on most networks.

I want to put a 150mm Raceface Aeffect dropper post on it, and some Maxxis Minions to replace the Rangers.
    However, I am unsure which fork to buy for it. I think I read somewhere that 130 is the maximum you can put on the bike, which rules out some options.
    What do you think? Should I stick with 130 or push it to 140?
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I swapped out the bars and stem for more reach, allowing it to climb without looping out.

However, I am unsure which fork to buy for it. I think I read somewhere that 130 is the maximum you can put on the bike, which rules out some options.
    Have you tried adjusting the sliding rear dropouts back? It loops out too easily when they are adjusted for the shortest chainstay length

I would stick with a 130 travel fox 34

29ers Forever
    Have you tried adjusting the sliding rear dropouts back? It loops out too easily when they are adjusted for the shortest chainstay length

I would stick with a 130 travel fox 34
    I was looking at the 130 34, so I'll go with that. Also, the dropouts are in the shortest setting, but I love how agile it descends in that setting. So I put a 70mm stem on it, 780mm bars, and it climbs much better, while feeling more stretched out on the descents.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    I think I read somewhere that 130 is the maximum you can put on the bike, which rules out some options.
    I am reliably running a 160mm fork on my rig. It doesn't help your situation but it can be done.

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

29ers Forever
    I am reliably running a 160mm fork on my rig. It doesn't help your situation but it can be done.
    I think 160mm would be too big of a jump for me. I think 140 would be the max., but I'll go talk to my LBS about it.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    I think 160mm would be too big of a jump for me. I think 140 would be the max., but I'll go talk to my LBS about it.
    I've been running 140mm since august, swapped out the stock 120mm recon.

I went with DVO forks:

originally looked at the beryll
    then the sapphire 32 (back ordered)
    then chose the sapphire 34 (comes stock at 140, can be adjusted to 130 or 120)

I had a youtuber discount code ready, but ended up taking advantage of their summer sale.

why does your profile tag line say "29er forever" but you got a 27.5+ timberjack? any plans on switching to 29er?

mtbr member
    STOKED to hear about the over-forked Timberjacks rolling strong.
    I got a DVO Beryl for my full squish 27.5 Giant Trance and it is amazing for the price. It arrived at 170mm and I've been riding 170/140 for 4 months and it's all good!
    My Timberjack 29" is still rolling on a cheap Chinese imitation Whiskey carbon fork (no suspension! Just like my first mtn bike in 1989), but I want to put a DVO Saphire 34 on it eventually and plan to fork it up at 140mm or more.
    Not sure the DVO Saphire will like my 29x2.8 tires!?!?

mtbr member
    What size wheelz/tires? I'm on 29x2.8 Terrene McFlys and the bike feels pretty tall. I'd be afraid a fork that big would raise the BB height too much...but I'd love the slacker head angle it would create!

29ers Forever
    I've been running 140mm since august, swapped out the stock 120mm recon.

I went with DVO forks:

originally looked at the beryll
    then the sapphire 32 (back ordered)
    then chose the sapphire 34 (comes stock at 140, can be adjusted to 130 or 120)

I had a youtuber discount code ready, but ended up taking advantage of their summer sale.

why does your profile tag line say "29er forever" but you got a 27.5+ timberjack? any plans on switching to 29er?
    I wanted to buy the 29er, but my LBS only had the + in stock, and I didn't have the extra money for new wheels. I'll keep it like this for the winter and then probably change it in the spring.
    Dropping into a trail

2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I figured this would be a good thread to introduce myself to the community, my latest addition:

Built it up from the frame with spare parts and donor parts. I ended up trading in a Niner Air 9 RDO to my dealer for the frame and a Fox 34 factory.

The Fox was for the Niner Jet 9 RDO that you see in the background and the original Pike that came on the Jet is now on the Timberjack!

Build:
    Timberjack medium frame
    Pike fork (130mm with debonair spring upgrade)
    RF Aeffect Cinch cranks
    XT M8000 brakes
    XT shifter (11 speed)
    SLX rear mech
    XT 11-42 cassette with wolf tooth GC 45 tooth upgrade
    PNW Bachelor 170mm dropper
    Specialized Phenom saddle
    Revin E35 carbon bar
    RF Aeffect 50mm stem
    Oneup aluminum flat pedals
    Stans Baron S1 wheels
    Maxxis Rekon 2.8ís front and back

This bike has been an absolute blast! I wanted this bike for some of the local trails that are smoother and less technical to help liven them up, but Iím constantly shocked at how capable this bike is.

The Baron wheelset came off the Jet 9 when I upgraded to I9 305 hydra 29ers this spring and the Barons were just sitting around. I like the plus tire platform, just not on a full squish bike. I think they start to show their virtues as you remove suspension...

My old Air 9 was getting zero love so I made the choice to move it along and build myself more of a party hardtail with lots of versatility. I absolutely made the right choice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-9ca53ee9-b768-45f2-84b5-67f66fa84b56.jpg  

mtbr member
    Welcome to the forum. Salsa looking good all blacked out

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Welcome to the forum. Salsa looking good all blacked out
    Thanks!

The only colors that Iíll basically allow to touch this bike will be black and silver.

RIGHT before I built this bike up I lost my dog to old age, a black and silver East European Shepherd. The bikes nicknamed ďBig BearĒ, just like my late dog. If I canít have my dog, Iíll at least keep her memory going through something else that brings me joy!

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankS29 View Post
    I figured this would be a good thread to introduce myself to the community, my latest addition:

Built it up from the frame with spare parts and donor parts. I ended up trading in a Niner Air 9 RDO to my dealer for the frame and a Fox 34 factory.

The Fox was for the Niner Jet 9 RDO that you see in the background and the original Pike that came on the Jet is now on the Timberjack!

Build:
    Timberjack medium frame
    Pike fork (130mm with debonair spring upgrade)
    RF Aeffect Cinch cranks
    XT M8000 brakes
    XT shifter (11 speed)
    SLX rear mech
    XT 11-42 cassette with wolf tooth GC 45 tooth upgrade
    PNW Bachelor 170mm dropper
    Specialized Phenom saddle
    Revin E35 carbon bar
    RF Aeffect 50mm stem
    Oneup aluminum flat pedals
    Stans Baron S1 wheels
    Maxxis Rekon 2.8ís front and back

This bike has been an absolute blast! I wanted this bike for some of the local trails that are smoother and less technical to help liven them up, but Iím constantly shocked at how capable this bike is.

The Baron wheelset came off the Jet 9 when I upgraded to I9 305 hydra 29ers this spring and the Barons were just sitting around. I like the plus tire platform, just not on a full squish bike. I think they start to show their virtues as you remove suspension...

My old Air 9 was getting zero love so I made the choice to move it along and build myself more of a party hardtail with lots of versatility. I absolutely made the right choice!
    Splendid build. Looks really good.

mtbr member
    any of you considered, or have done, converting to XD for cassette compatibility (e.g. 12 speed)?

Timberjack Thread-s-l1600.jpgTimberjack Thread-s-l1600.jpg

why or why not?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    any of you considered, or have done, converting to XD for cassette compatibility (e.g. 12 speed)?

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	317.0 KB 
ID:	1289667Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	1289669

why or why not?
    I considered going to an XD/12-sp compatible setup when I upgraded wheelsets. I eventually decided not to. I chose to stick with the HD/11-sp stuff on my TJ to save some money. For most of the trails I ride, I very rarely use the 11T cog or the 46T cog anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Views:	28 
Size:	317.0 KB 
ID:	1289667Click image for larger version. 

Views:	25 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	1289669

why or why not?
    I guess it depends on what youíre looking for, long term.

12 speed is a lot easier with an XD freehub since it will take a ton of cassette options.

But if youíre interested in Shimano 12speed, youíll want a microspline freehub.

You can also stick with the HG freehub and use the NX Eagle cassette...

So I guess it depends on what youíre hoping to gain.

mtbr member
    Yes, if youre a SRAM person its worth it to be able to use their higher end cassettes. I use the GX full steel cassette because it lasts longer and is way cheaper than aluminum ones.

My TJ came with sram NX 11 speed and a sunrace cassette. If shimano 12 speed had existed at the time, i wouldnt have bothered with upgrading to XD. I dont think XD is the most well thought out design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Did a quick search, but what's new for the 2020 model & any closeout deals on a 2019(frame or complete)?

mtbr member
    I guess it depends on what youíre looking for, long term.

12 speed is a lot easier with an XD freehub since it will take a ton of cassette options.

But if youíre interested in Shimano 12speed, youíll want a microspline freehub.

You can also stick with the HG freehub and use the NX Eagle cassette...

So I guess it depends on what youíre hoping to gain.
    I guess I was really hoping to gain a 10t, or even a 9t cog; then along with a 50t I can run a larger chainring.

Yes, if youre a SRAM person its worth it to be able to use their higher end cassettes. I use the GX full steel cassette because it lasts longer and is way cheaper than aluminum ones.

My TJ came with sram NX 11 speed and a sunrace cassette. If shimano 12 speed had existed at the time, i wouldnt have bothered with upgrading to XD. I dont think XD is the most well thought out design.
    did you upgrade to xd by switching out the freehub with the part I listed or did you buy a new wheel?

I didn't see any microspline options for the src hub that came on my TJ

mtbr member
    Here's a current list. Shimano is picking and choosing who they partner with.

https://off.road.cc/content/buying/c...hubs-m9100-xtr

mtbr member
    I guess I was really hoping to gain a 10t, or even a 9t cog; then along with a 50t I can run a larger chainring.

did you upgrade to xd by switching out the freehub with the part I listed or did you buy a new wheel?

I got a used set of 27.5+ wheels with dt swiss 350 hubs from a friend who upgraded to a carbon wheelset. You can get all types of freehubs for dt swiss hubs. The TJ i got came stock with 29Ē wheels because thats all i could find at the time and frames were out of stock.

If you are looking for more range, i would get the xd driver and get the sram 10-42 cassette or just go full eagle. It will probably be a while until sun ringle makes the microspline stuff, just a guess

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    Here's a current list. Shimano is picking and choosing who they partner with.

https://off.road.cc/content/buying/c...hubs-m9100-xtr
    i see, yea the product that I found from sunringle seem like a relatively cheap and easy option to convert my current wheel to XD...

I got a used set of 27.5+ wheels with dt swiss 350 hubs from a friend who upgraded to a carbon wheelset. You can get all types of freehubs for dt swiss hubs. The TJ i got came stock with 29Ē wheels because thats all i could find at the time and frames were out of stock.

If you are looking for more range, i would get the xd driver and get the sram 10-42 cassette or just go full eagle. It will probably be a while until sun ringle makes the microspline stuff, just a guess
    so what did you do with the 29er set?

see, i'm also looking at possibly getting a 29er wheelset too, which means I could pick the freehub. but if i also want to keep the 27.5+ as a spare/alternate set, it'd be easier to have the same cassette on both wheels. which means I'd need the same freehub on both. which leads me to wonder if swapping the freehub is a logical thing to do...

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Do you spend a lot of time in your 11 tooth now and feel like you're spinning it out?

The only company that I know that makes a cassette with a 9 tooth is E13. I have a buddy that rides with an E13 cassette and as far as I know he has used the 9 tooth exactly once...

We took a wrong turn and had to hit some road to get back to the trail head. As far as I know, he has never used the 9 tooth on a trail. I think some people have also had issues getting them off the driver once they have been on for a while. I haven't seen my friend have that issue, but I think it's worth mentioning.

I guess it depends on your individual riding situation if having a 10 or 9 tooth cog is worth chasing. I guess long sustained high speed descents or you're riding road to get to the trail head and you find yourself spinning out a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Do you spend a lot of time in your 11 tooth now and feel like you're spinning it out?

The only company that I know that makes a cassette with a 9 tooth is E13. I have a buddy that rides with an E13 cassette and as far as I know he has used the 9 tooth exactly once...

We took a wrong turn and had to hit some road to get back to the trail head. As far as I know, he has never used the 9 tooth on a trail. I think some people have also had issues getting them off the driver once they have been on for a while. I haven't seen my friend have that issue, but I think it's worth mentioning.

I guess it depends on your individual riding situation if having a 10 or 9 tooth cog is worth chasing. I guess long sustained high speed descents or you're riding road to get to the trail head and you find yourself spinning out a lot.
    I've been riding e13+ cassettes for a while. Agree. I've only used the 9tooth on road descents back to the trailhead/vehicle. I've had one large cog bend under force while climbing and had to smash it back into place on the trail. E13 warrantied it without question and their support was great. Those cassettes shift very poorly and tend to drop gears when back pedaling. They also perform really, really poorly if muddied up. I was running one on my TJ until I went SS. Pros - they are light and cheaper than Eagle.

mtbr member

I've been riding e13+ cassettes for a while. Agree. I've only used the 9tooth on road descents back to the trailhead/vehicle. I've had one large cog bend under force while climbing and had to smash it back into place on the trail. E13 warrantied it without question and their support was great. Those cassettes shift very poorly and tend to drop gears when back pedaling. They also perform really, really poorly if muddied up. I was running one on my TJ until I went SS. Pros - they are light and cheaper than Eagle.
    yup, i know the 11, 10, 9 tooth cog are not used very often. and e13 was one of the companies i was looking into, as they are cheaper and they offer either a conversion kit for 11spd to 12spd, or a wide range 11spd cassette.

i do ride road from time to time and can spin out (grant it, even that is still rare) but at the same time, if i was to be replacing a cassette, why not add something that i didnt have before.

but if the e13's performance is not up to snuff, the 9t cog might not be worth the trouble.

Thanks guys for the inputs, as it is exactly why I posed the question. Real-life data is more valuable than the theories that I can gather based on company spiel and online reviews.

and since i am interested in a 29er wheelset in the future, i thought i'd need to figure out what freehub i'd need. and therefore decide whether or not to convert the stock 27.5 wheels to the same freehub

mtbr member
    so what did you do with the 29er set?
    Sold em on ebay. They were quick release (not thru axle) and not boost, so i didnt have much use for them.

I would like to have a second 29er wheelset for my TJ, but it would have to be boost thru axle now that i have converted the bike over. I dont think i would be switching back and forth that often. You really need to have another cassette and brake rotors on the second wheelset to make the swap quick. Wheelsets take up a lot of space and i dont have a garage to store them

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hi,

I have decided I want to try 29 x 2.6 (Maxxis Icon) wheels on my 2017 GX 27.5+ Timberjack

Couple of noob questions: 1) I assume these will fit ? 2) I have decided on Hunt 30mm internal width wheels. My options are Sram XD or Shimano/Sram. I assume Sram XD? The second category is Boost or Super Boost. I assume Boost?

Any watch outs here? I will have bike shop put them on. Thanks much!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi,

I have decided I want to try 29 x 2.6 (Maxxis Icon) wheels on my 2017 GX 27.5+ Timberjack

Couple of noob questions: 1) I assume these will fit ? 2) I have decided on Hunt 30mm internal width wheels. My options are Sram XD or Shimano/Sram. I assume Sram XD? The second category is Boost or Super Boost. I assume Boost?

Any watch outs here? I will have bike shop put them on. Thanks much!
    Yes they will fit. Yes to XD driver. Boost (NOT super boost).

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

mtbr member
    only yes to xd if you are planning to get a new cassette, i don't think the stock sunrace 11-42t fits on the xd driver. (see our posts just a few above yours)

i was looking into hunts 29er wheels as well, but decision I have to make (a decision you'd have to make too, I think) is that if you plan on keeping the stock cassette and swapping it over to the new wheel, you'd have to get the shimano/sram hg driver.

Hence the reason for my posts earlier last week regarding converting the stock wheels to xd

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    only yes to xd if you are planning to get a new cassette, i don't think the stock sunrace 11-42t fits on the xd driver. (see our posts just a few above yours)

i was looking into hunts 29er wheels as well, but decision I have to make (a decision you'd have to make too, I think) is that if you plan on keeping the stock cassette and swapping it over to the new wheel, you'd have to get the shimano/sram hg driver.

Hence the reason for my posts earlier last week regarding converting the stock wheels to xd
    Thanks tweeder. Are you positive the shimano/sram hg driver would work? Frankly I don't want to invest any more money besides the wheels and tires.

mtbr member
    ^ what brand and model cassette is on your bike?

mtbr member
    Thanks tweeder. Are you positive the shimano/sram hg driver would work? Frankly I don't want to invest any more money besides the wheels and tires.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2153342/

are these your wheels?

the picture of the freehub looks like shimano/sram hg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2153342/

are these your wheels?

the picture of the freehub looks like shimano/sram hg
    Yes

mtbr member
    Yes
    and assuming you still have the original sunrace 11-42 cassette, then it's shimano/sram hg.

if you want to be super sure, you can take the cassette off(you'll have to when you get your new wheels) and have a look

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    ^ what brand and model cassette is on your bike?
    All I can find is Sun Race 11-42t.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    and assuming you still have the original sunrace 11-42 cassette, then it's shimano/sram hg.

if you want to be super sure, you can take the cassette off(you'll have to when you get your new wheels) and have a look
    Thx!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011