Timberjack Thread - Page 10- Mtbr.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 1,801 to 1,986 of 1986
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was selling my mediumjust like yours with upgraded parts but decided I better keep it and glad I did. Rode it for the 3rd time yesterday and fell in love with it this time. I donít need a second bike but rather than take a huge loss just used it I thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    I really want a better fork but I can't justify one that costs as much as the bike did. I mean, I can't justify it to my wife
    It is hard with the cost relative to the bike, and my fork is pretty new, that makes it harder to justify.

There was a sale, I think 15%, last fall on jenson or something, that I would have used on a Bomber Z1. I should have just gotten it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder82o View Post
    It is hard with the cost relative to the bike, and my fork is pretty new, that makes it harder to justify.

There was a sale, I think 15%, last fall on jenson or something, that I would have used on a Bomber Z1. I should have just gotten it.
    For sure! I waited for a take-off 34 to show up on Pink bike. Paid $450 which is still a lot... but better than $800.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnating View Post
    Anyone selling a Medium TJ either full build or just frame? Like mine so much, want to buy one for my wife.

On a side note, I also recently added a Fox 34... replaced my Judy Gold on the SLX build. It's been a game changer!
    Attachment 1250385
    I am probably putting my 2018 Salsa GX 11-speed up for sale. Bike only has about 50 miles on it, mostly tow path. Size is Medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    @ski1970 - glad to hear your keeping it. No reason to take that kind of loss on it before really testing it out. Get off the pavement, you'll see why this forum is 19 pages long (and counting)
    2013 Salsa Vaya 3
    2017 Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibike73 View Post
    I am probably putting my 2018 Salsa GX 11-speed up for sale. Bike only has about 50 miles on it, mostly tow path. Size is Medium.
    Feel free to send me a message when you list, I am interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Whats the frame weight on these?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 92SE-R View Post
    Whats the frame weight on these?
    If you go back to post #1719 I put pictures w/ weights for a XS frame. 1825g without axle or plates. 2037g with axle and boost reduction plates. Seatpost clamp, no headset, no BB.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Because the money was burning a hole in my pocket and I like to eat Ramen for dinner for months, I replaced the Recon with a Fox Factory 34. Seems like it has a bit smoother action and rides a bit higher in its travel than the Recon. Not quite a Pike, but it was $100 cheaper. I also put the stock 60mm stem back on and replaced the rear Minion DHR with a Rekon. This is NOT a fast climbing/pedaling bike, but man it is fun going downhill. Ended up selling my spare 29'er wheelset I was going to use on it as it shines with the 27.5+ wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-salsatj.jpg  

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    duplicate post - whoops

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingBuffalo View Post
    I'm considering a salsa timberjack, but I think I'd like both sets of rims...27.5 & 29....any idea how much extra I'll probably be spending for an extra set of wheels ?
    Check out the Ibis 938's. I found a set for $400 shipped. Great wheelset for the price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnating View Post
    Anyone selling a Medium TJ either full build or just frame? Like mine so much, want to buy one for my wife.

On a side note, I also recently added a Fox 34... replaced my Judy Gold on the SLX build. It's been a game changer!
    Attachment 1250385
    What frame bag is that? Good looking setup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Medium Alloy Frame
    Fox 34 @140
    Fox Transfer 125
    WTB Trail Boss 29x2.6
    Easton Heist 30
    Shimano XT group w/ SRAM XD cassette

Just built this up to replace the gravel bike that I never quite fell for. Every time I took the gravel bike out I'd end up on singletrack and wish I was on a MTB. So far I'm loving this bike. It's been probably 15 years since I've had a hardtail that wasn't a DJ rig, and I had forgotten how much fun they can be as trail bikes. I've got an Evil Offering that's my enduro/bike park rig, the TJ will cover just about everything else. I'll eventually put a 150 dropper on, but for now I'm pretty friggin' satisfied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-psx_20190512_154122.jpg  

Timberjack Thread-psx_20190512_154451.jpg  

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brinz View Post
    Medium Alloy Frame
    Fox 34 @140
    Fox Transfer 125
    WTB Trail Boss 29x2.6
    Easton Heist 30

Just built this up to replace the gravel bike that I never quite fell for. Every time I took the gravel bike out I'd end up on singletrack and wish I was on a MTB. So far I'm loving this bike. It's been probably 15 years since I've had a hardtail that wasn't a DJ rig, and I had forgotten how much fun they can be as trail bikes. I've got an Evil Offering that's my enduro/bike park rig, the TJ will cover just about everything else. I'll eventually put a 150 dropper on, but for now I'm pretty friggin' satisfied.
    Nice looking TJ. While the frame is ridiculously cheap, does 140mm up front negate the warranty?

mtbr member
    Medium Alloy Frame
    Fox 34 @140
    Fox Transfer 125
    WTB Trail Boss 29x2.6
    Easton Heist 30

very nice, I like the blacked out look. do you plan on blacking out the fork to match?

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    Nice looking TJ. While the frame is ridiculously cheap, does 140mm up front negate the warranty?
    yes this, the website says 130mm or 541mm axle-to-crown; I've been wondering if the positives of getting 140mm outweighs the negative of going 10mm over what salsa says.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've over forked pretty much every bike I've owned. I have never broken a frame and consequently never worked through the warranty process with a manufacturer. I'm sure they could deny a warranty claim if they wanted to.

In my opinion, adding 10mm of travel and axle-to-crown length over the recommendation increases your chance of breaking a frame by about .001%. I think their recommendations are more geometry related than anything. I'm running a 551mm a2c, 140mm Pike on my Timberjack. I might eventually drop it to 130mm to see if I prefer that geometry. So far the 140mm feels pretty good. My other bike is an Ibis HD4 so I'm used to a pretty slack front end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just took the fox 34 Elite 140 off my Timberjack and put it on my wifeís timberjack. I then installed a brand new Pike 140 RCT3 debonair on my Timberjack. It is a 551 A/C. The fox was a 547 A/C. No issues at all.

mtbr member
    Sale May 17-July 7 on Timberjacks and Journeymen. (Journeymans?)

Both wheel sizes.

Ė Deore Ė was $1,249 now $1,099
    Ė SLX Ė was $1,599 now $1,399

https://salsacycles.com/culture/timb...new_adventures

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I've decided on a fork 2020 Fox 34sc 120mm for my TJ. Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    very nice, I like the blacked out look. do you plan on blacking out the fork to match?

yes this, the website says 130mm or 541mm axle-to-crown; I've been wondering if the positives of getting 140mm outweighs the negative of going 10mm over what salsa says.
    I do believe 140 does void the warranty, but I'm not really concerned about it bc I'm extremely happy with how it rides. I'm sure it climbs better at 130 or 120, but for my riding style I like the more aggressive, slacker geo, and other than a little bit of front end wandering on the steep-steep it's plenty nimble for me on the trail. If this bike was JUST for gravel/bikepacking or really flat trails, the 140 wouldn't make sense.

Although I don't doubt it would look great, I probably won't change the stickers on the lowers, too matchy-matchy for my taste... Maybe though, now I'm thinking about it. HA

Any body else impressed with how well this bike corners?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I do believe 140 does void the warranty, but I'm not really concerned about it bc I'm extremely happy with how it rides. I'm sure it climbs better at 130 or 120, but for my riding style I like the more aggressive, slacker geo, and other than a little bit of front end wandering on the steep-steep it's plenty nimble for me on the trail. If this bike was JUST for gravel/bikepacking or really flat trails, the 140 wouldn't make sense.

Although I don't doubt it would look great, I probably won't change the stickers on the lowers, too matchy-matchy for my taste... Maybe though, now I'm thinking about it. HA

Mine corners great, even with alternators pushed all the way out. Took me a little bit to figure out how to get it to corner great though. Seems like for me, my TJ corners best with my weight a little farther back on the bike than I would've originally thought. Once I found the sweet spot though, it carves the corners up really well.

mtbr member
    The black tj frame is simply breathtaking
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    If this bike was JUST for gravel/bikepacking or really flat trails, the 140 wouldn't make sense.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    Mine corners great, even with alternators pushed all the way out. Took me a little bit to figure out how to get it to corner great though. Seems like for me, my TJ corners best with my weight a little farther back on the bike than I would've originally thought. Once I found the sweet spot though, it carves the corners up really well.
    MX9799 would you be able to describe how much better your new maxxis tires cornered than the stock tires (mine came with wtb rangers, the ones that even wtb was like those arent as good as the rangers we sell after-market)

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    Because the money was burning a hole in my pocket and I like to eat Ramen for dinner for months, I replaced the Recon with a Fox Factory 34. Seems like it has a bit smoother action and rides a bit higher in its travel than the Recon. Not quite a Pike, but it was $100 cheaper. I also put the stock 60mm stem back on and replaced the rear Minion DHR with a Rekon. This is NOT a fast climbing/pedaling bike, but man it is fun going downhill. Ended up selling my spare 29'er wheelset I was going to use on it as it shines with the 27.5+ wheels.
    What did you do with the stock RECON fork? PM me if you would like.
    SOLD - 2018 Specialized Pitch Expert
    2019 Kona Honzo is on the way

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Good point.

MX9799 would you be able to describe how much better your new maxxis tires cornered than the stock tires (mine came with wtb rangers, the ones that even wtb was like those arent as good as the rangers we sell after-market)
    tweeder, it's no comparison between the maxxis tires and the stock WTB rangers. I rode on the stock rangers for a bit. Even tried them set up tubeless to make them ride a little better, but the maxxis 120 tpi tires are just way better than the stock rangers. At higher speeds, the maxxis tires hold a line better in corners and feel much less flexy. The rear just stays put in the corners, and the front just goes where you look without much thought. Of course, there is a limit to how far in you can lean it, but I've only washed the front once and that was on a pump track where I came into a corner WAY too hot but still tried to make it anyways. At lower, pedaling speeds, I'm not sure there is a ton of difference in the way they corner. But as the trail speeds come up, the maxxis tires just grip and go where you want them to, even on the off-cambers.

mtbr member
    tweeder, it's no comparison between the maxxis tires and the stock WTB rangers. I rode on the stock rangers for a bit. Even tried them set up tubeless to make them ride a little better, but the maxxis 120 tpi tires are just way better than the stock rangers. At higher speeds, the maxxis tires hold a line better in corners and feel much less flexy. The rear just stays put in the corners, and the front just goes where you look without much thought. Of course, there is a limit to how far in you can lean it, but I've only washed the front once and that was on a pump track where I came into a corner WAY too hot but still tried to make it anyways. At lower, pedaling speeds, I'm not sure there is a ton of difference in the way they corner. But as the trail speeds come up, the maxxis tires just grip and go where you want them to, even on the off-cambers.
    nice, so basically no sense in "saving" the stock WTBs because they're still "new". if I want a better ride, I need to get some tires!

did you go 120 tpi front and rear? did you consider 60 tpi?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    nice, so basically no sense in "saving" the stock WTBs because they're still "new". if I want a better ride, I need to get some tires!

did you go 120 tpi front and rear? did you consider 60 tpi?
    Yeah, mine are the 120 tpi tires. I didn't consider the 60 tpi. My local bike shop had the two tires I bought in the discount bin, so the 120 tpi tires were really my only option unless I wanted to pay full retail for the 60 tpi tires.

I saved my original WTB rangers for emergency use only. I doubt I'll ever use them again though, unless I need something in a pinch, and even then they'll get a tube and be off the bike as soon as I'm able to get another good tire.

Not trashing the stock WTB's though. I will say the rangers seemed fine until I tried the maxxis tires. Had the maxxis tires not gone in the discount bin, or somebody else would've bought them before me, I'd probably still be running the WTB's that came on the bike and I'd still be none the wiser to how much better a good set of tires are.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Saw this Timberjack and wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paul

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchman83 View Post
    Saw this Timberjack and wanted to know what everyone's thoughts were.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    If it fits, buy it. You can add gears if you want them, although you need a different hub and may want different drop outs for TA. But these frames go for $450 plus tax, so for under $300 you're getting a lot of stuff!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    If it fits, buy it. You can add gears if you want them, although you need a different hub and may want different drop outs for TA. But these frames go for $450 plus tax, so for under $300 you're getting a lot of stuff!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    yea, but without knowing your situation: why you want a bike, what is your budget, it's hard to make a hard suggestion.

but assuming that you want a bike for fun and that $750 is a budget for fun and not a life's savings for a commuter; I'd say get it, ride it, swap out parts if you wish, and have fun.

and stick around the forum and post updates.

sidenote: I also have a moto G5plus. but I posted this using my PC

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    This would definitely be a second/fun/commuter/urban/single track/gravel rec bike. $750 is in a budget and I am seeing this as a great way to get a bike to tinker with and have fun. I will also find out real quick if I like single speed and carbon forks.
    Paul

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchman83 View Post
    This would definitely be a second/fun/commuter/urban/single track/gravel rec bike. $750 is in a budget and I am seeing this as a great way to get a bike to tinker with and have fun. I will also find out real quick if I like single speed and carbon forks.
    then
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 1194
Size:  692.7 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm looking at getting either a TJ frame or SC Chameleon in size L to build from frame up as a 29er. I'm 5"10" with short legs (30" inseam) and typically ride size large frames with short stems, though I'm usually right on the cusp of M/L for most bikes.

Standover height is usually fairly low priority when comparing geos, but between the TJ and the Chameleon, that's the one spec that's significantly different and it seems pretty high for the TJ at 799.

Anyone on here similarly sized who rides a size large TJ? Any issues?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Medium for sure. I am 5Ē9í with a 30 inseam and the medium is good. And I could push my saddle back some still and I have a 32mm stem on top of that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hmm. How do you feel about the reach? Does it seem cramped? The reach on the medium is a good amount shorter than what I was looking for. I probably need to check one out in person to get a better idea of sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by ski1970 View Post
    Medium for sure. I am 5Ē9í with a 30 inseam and the medium is good. And I could push my saddle back some still and I have a 32mm stem on top of that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yeah the reach isn't the problem it's the seat tube height. They should lower each size by an inch or two

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think it is fine. It is bigger than my Intense ACV medium. I find it roomy still

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I run a 125 dropper with about a inch I think out of the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam also, and running a meduim. I have a 90mm stem because I have extremely long arms for my height, many people have made fun of me for it. Bike shop guy laughs when he puts me on the trainer for a fit up. With the meduim I have about 2" of standover, possibly less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I'm 6'2" running a 35mm stem 150 dropper slammed. On a XL

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    35 inch inseam

mtbr member
    how do you like the 32mm stem? have you tried shorter or longer? do you wish it's longer or shorter?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrowdyc View Post
    I'm 6'2" running a 35mm stem 150 dropper slammed. On a XL
    Same here, with my seat slammed forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I'll probably put a 31mm and it will be good

MTBNJP
    May 2019

Noob question - Timberjack Deore vs SLX

First post from noob lurker that has been reading all of your posts about this great looking bike - aplologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this kind of question.
    Iíve been researching Salsa Timberjack for several months. Rented what I think was a medium Deore from Santos bike shop in Ocala. Rode Santos trails for about 4 hours and enjoyed the bike.
    I havenít ridden the SLX build. GX Eagle is too spendy for me. Iíve printed off build specs but have no practical comparison. Can you guys give me a recommendation? What are the actual advantages between Deore vs SLX? Will I notice a difference in ride, longevity of components, etc?
    Thanks for any experience you can share.

mtbr member
    The main difference you will feel between the Deore and SLX is crispness of shifting. The deore components will last you years if you properly maintain them. On the bright side drivetrain components will eventually wear out and you can upgrade as necessary.
    "Wherever you go, there you are."

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnjp View Post
    First post from noob lurker that has been reading all of your posts about this great looking bike - aplologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this kind of question.
    Iíve been researching Salsa Timberjack for several months. Rented what I think was a medium Deore from Santos bike shop in Ocala. Rode Santos trails for about 4 hours and enjoyed the bike.
    I havenít ridden the SLX build. GX Eagle is too spendy for me. Iíve printed off build specs but have no practical comparison. Can you guys give me a recommendation? What are the actual advantages between Deore vs SLX? Will I notice a difference in ride, longevity of components, etc?
    The drivetrains are similar but the deore is 10 speed and the slx is 11 speed. The slx has slightly more gear range. I would say you probably wont get more longevity out of the more expensive drivetrain, just more range.

The forks are different brands. Suntour makes decent forks but i am not really familiar with them.
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    These are going up for sale. Pink one is a 2019 and has NEVER been ridden and the green one has been ridden 3 time BUT the Rockshox pike RCT3 DebonAir and SRAM Eagle GX group is is brand new never ridden. I will be asking $1400 each. Timberjack Thread-39c3ac07-f7c6-4dec-8838-8a5d30580d00.jpgTimberjack Thread-b5b772c8-a035-4b7e-b770-35618e388fa1.jpgTimberjack Thread-24759e73-128e-462f-a2af-16d7b11e3cf2.jpgTimberjack Thread-57507fcb-ee6f-4f23-9a87-675874cfe779.jpg

mtbr member
    What sizes?

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Pink is a large green is a Medium

mtbr member
    The fork is better on the SLX, that's probably most important.

The SLX has a thru-axle rear hub where the Deore has a quick release rear hub. TA should be stronger and is more of a standard now, but I chose a QR bike partly because it would let me mount a kid trailer hitch no problem. It should also be able to mount a disk-style rear rack and kid seat if the rack's QR skewer is long enough. One of the clever things about the Timberjack frame is that it can be converted from one axle style to another with option parts from Salsa.

It also has brakes that are one step better, like the drivetrain, but you probably won't be able to tell.

The big difference between the SLX and Deore systems is that the SLX has one more shift and a lower bottom gear.

The bikes have the same cockpit components, rims, and tires.

mtbr member
    The fork is better on the SLX, that's probably most important.

The SLX has a thru-axle rear hub where the Deore has a quick release rear hub. TA should be stronger and is more of a standard now, but I chose a QR bike partly because it would let me mount a kid trailer hitch no problem. It should also be able to mount a disk-style rear rack and kid seat if the rack's QR skewer is long enough. One of the clever things about the Timberjack frame is that it can be converted from one axle style to another with option parts from Salsa.

It also has brakes that are one step better, like the drivetrain, but you probably won't be able to tell.

The big difference between the SLX and Deore systems is that the SLX has one more shift and a lower bottom gear.

The bikes have the same cockpit components, rims, and tires.
    Well spoken. I turned mine into a rear Thru Axle for more stability and the ability to swap wheels around. I could see how the skewer would come in handy for trailer duty but fortunately my Trek utility bike covers me on that.

Skin

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    because it would let me mount a kid trailer hitch no problem.
    https://youtu.be/jj0CmnxuTaQ

mtbr member
    Ha! I just watched it about an hour ago...such a well done video. I really dig all of his videos.

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelMTB View Post
    Sold it on eBay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelMTB View Post
    I have the stock Judy gold I removed off mine if your in search of a fork!?!? Fork has about 10 rides, maybe 100miles. Looks brand new!! Will DM pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinM4n View Post
    Ha! I just watched it about an hour ago...such a well done video. I really dig all of his videos.
    can't stop watching it really...

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Well the 2018 Salsa GX1 medium is going up for sale. I have pics of it, but do not know how to post them from my phone. Bike only has 50 miles on it. Had one scratch on the left crank arm. I will try to add pictures later.

Going to asking $900 plus shipping charges.

PM me for more info.

MTBNJP
    May 2019
    Ibike73, Iím interested. PM Sent.
    Hoping to join Timberjack riders as others have provided good feedback to my questions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Bike is no longer for sale. At present keeping bike.

I am sorry to the people that have contacted me about the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-de3a8f95-6585-4546-bb67-a72aefe56e8d.jpeg  

Timberjack Thread-e47f1d34-f5f4-4667-85b5-2f8570ee1bf2.jpeg  

Timberjack Thread-41f286f6-c87d-4c49-bdeb-624270942130.jpeg  

Timberjack Thread-24a6face-3299-485b-9b07-baa7090e5255.jpeg  

Timberjack Thread-b9ffd87b-3707-40a4-a8d1-c3ffe050dbea.jpeg  

Last edited by ibike73; 05-24-2019 at 03:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Well the 2018 Salsa GX1 medium is going up for sale. I have pics of it, but do not know how to post them from my phone. Bike only has 50 miles on it. Had one scratch on the left crank arm. I will try to add pictures later.

Going to asking $900 plus shipping charges.

PM me for more info.
    sad to see you go,

Ibike73, Iím interested. PM Sent.
    Hoping to join Timberjack riders as others have provided good feedback to my questions.
    welcome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    It is sad to have to get rid of this one. But kids and I are going to be venturing into pump track/bmx. And my oldest one will be racing mtn bikes next year, had to free up some cash for upgrades to their bikes. I still have my other mtn bikes to keep me on the trails, but had to free up some cash and space.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    These are going up for sale. Pink one is a 2019 and has NEVER been ridden and the green one has been ridden 3 time BUT the Rockshox pike RCT3 DebonAir and SRAM Eagle GX group is is brand new never ridden. I will be asking $1400 each. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39C3AC07-F7C6-4DEC-8838-8A5D30580D00.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	1252196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5B772C8-A035-4B7E-B770-35618E388FA1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	1252197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24759E73-128E-462F-A2AF-16D7B11E3CF2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	1252198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57507FCB-EE6F-4F23-9A87-675874CFE779.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	1252199
    Dang I missed it. I'd love a 2018 SLX, I love their lime for some reason .

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Well I found out today why the wife really did not want me to sell the Timberjack. The kids bought daddy a Niner RDO boost fork for the bike for Father's day. So looks like I will be ordering the Surly spacer kit and a Chris King cog for it.

mtbr member
    Well I found out today why the wife really did not want me to sell the Timberjack. The kids bought daddy a Niner RDO boost fork for the bike for Father's day. So looks like I will be ordering the Surly spacer kit and a Chris King cog for it.
    Timberjack Thread-wsw264a4aaoy.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Hello

I have ridden those trails a lot, also have had my timberjack worked on in that shop and demoed Santa Cruzís there. SLX is a great drivetrain but the most important thing if you want a stronger bike for rough riding is the fork and thru axle. I started with the cheapest build and now have an expensive fork and wheels due to wearing out parts. This bike is so versatile you can change as you go the way I did but ultimately if you are committed you will want the more robust setup. That mean a bit more money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wsw264a4aaoy.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	1252765
    Haha...

I very rarely get buyers remorse, but I do get sellers remorse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Does anyone know anywhere that has the timberjack aluminium frameset in stock in size Large?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Who is running a rigid fork up front? I have a Niner RDO boost coming in this week. Looking to see some good side profile pictures.

Or possibly going with a RockShox Reba RL 120mm.

I am going to be building this as a fun, hopefully, singlespeed.

Thank you

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Hello! Been looking for my first mountain bike, and I think I am going to get a TJ for sheer versatility. Can anyone offer opinions on getting the deore and having some money ($200-300) left over for immediate upgrades (tires?) or the SLX and leaving it stock for a while? Looking to do xc and bikepacking primarily, but I will use it for all my trail riding for a while

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataya View Post
    Hello! Been looking for my first mountain bike, and I think I am going to get a TJ for sheer versatility. Can anyone offer opinions on getting the deore and having some money ($200-300) left over for immediate upgrades (tires?) or the SLX and leaving it stock for a while? Looking to do xc and bikepacking primarily, but I will use it for all my trail riding for a while
    IMO, I'd go with the SLX for the 11 speed drivechain and stouter rear hub. If this is your first bike, you likely won't be needing any immediate upgrades on either bike, but I think the SLX is the better bike of the two choices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Anyone have a link to the appropriate derailer hanger for a TJ?

-doesnít appear to be listed on TJís site nor does the TJ appear to be an option on any of the parts sites I looked through.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    Anyone have a link to the appropriate derailer hanger for a TJ?
    There is no standalone derailleur hanger. Its part of the Alternator "swing plate."

mtbr member
    Just finished building my new to me TJ! Got the frame, niner fork, and a complete 27.5 plus wheelset for a good price and used spare parts to build it up. 29x2.8 Terrene Cake Eater up front and 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekon in the rear on 30mm rims. Have yet to run it with the 27.5 as the wheels went on another bike but the 29 plusish rips! Climbs super quick and descends smoother trails just as fast as my trail bike. Super impressed by this bike, rigid also helps make easy trails fun again.

2015/7 BMC Speedfox 01 full custom build XX1 w/ 160 Lyrik RC2

2018 Motobacon 2hundred7
    2015ish BMC SF01 Enduro Build
    1981 Schwinn Voyaguer 11.8 modernized into gravel/light trail use

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    AUrider... nice build. I have been thinking about picking up a TJ and puting Rekons F/R, but I see you put cake eaters on the front. How is it different riding compared to the rekons?

thanks

Still Stinky
    I've been scanning the posts and I don't see anyone who has had any issues with the frame. Have I missed anything? I lost my El Mariachi due to a chain stay crack at the crimped area, a problem that many people had. I also have had two different chainstay pieces crack at the weld in the same spot on my aluminum Horsethief frame. I am now a bit uneasy about Salsa, but I have always loved their products. Their ability to be so adaptable is awesome! Before I jump into a Timberjack would love to know if there are any know defects..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    AUrider... nice build. I have been thinking about picking up a TJ and puting Rekons F/R, but I see you put cake eaters on the front. How is it different riding compared to the rekons?

thanks
    I like the cake eater because of the grip on dry and dusty trails. I've gotten a few more miles in and probably would switch to a Rekon front. I put a hole in the cake eater (ultralight casing) on the tread and sidewall last ride. The Rekon has a stronger casing and seems to have similar grip.

2015/7 BMC Speedfox 01 full custom build XX1 w/ 160 Lyrik RC2

2018 Motobacon 2hundred7
    2015ish BMC SF01 Enduro Build
    1981 Schwinn Voyaguer 11.8 modernized into gravel/light trail use

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkydogfart View Post
    I've been scanning the posts and I don't see anyone who has had any issues with the frame. Have I missed anything? I lost my El Mariachi due to a chain stay crack at the crimped area, a problem that many people had. I also have had two different chainstay pieces crack at the weld in the same spot on my aluminum Horsethief frame. I am now a bit uneasy about Salsa, but I have always loved their products. Their ability to be so adaptable is awesome! Before I jump into a Timberjack would love to know if there are any know defects..
    I watch this thread and frame issues don't seem to come up. There might be one way back in the thread (something about misaligned chainstays - a manufacturing defect not a riding/abuse breakage story). I had 1 small issue when I picked mine up in 2017 - the riv nuts used for attaching water bottle cages needed to be tightened up. Easy fix done at my bike shop. I now remove and grease these bolts annually. Probably good practice anyway...
    2013 Salsa Vaya 3
    2017 Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    I was looking at getting a 2019 Timberjack SLX...Is it true the only rear rack you can put on it is from Salsa ? That rack costs $120 !
    ​SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was looking at getting a 2019 Timberjack SLX...Is it true the only rear rack you can put on it is from Salsa ? That rack costs $120 !
    The issue is the "atypical" placement of the mounting point on the Alternator dropouts, which are much higher than normal, and in turn requires a rack "strut length" much shorter than normal.
    Some racks that incorporate long adapting plates (like some Old Man Mountain models) can be adapted to fit w/ a modest DIY plate of 3mm 6061 aluminum. But the OMM racks aren't any cheaper, so that doesn't really solve your problem.

I lucked into an OMM rack for $25 at a second hand shop and fabbed my own adapting plate, so no big deal. But for 99% of folks, I agree is sort of annoying for the only viable off-the-shelf rack option for a $450 frame to be a $120 rack.

mtbr member
    You can put a regular rack on it but it's awkward. I did, to carry my kid.

If you have any fabrication skills you could take a regular rack and shorten it.

I think a 29er disk rack would work on the QR hub versions if the skewer is long enough but it might not clear the tire width on the 27.5+

mtbr member
    I like the idea of fabbing something

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Keep in mind that many standard racks will fit with stock hardware and a Salsa Rack-Lock seat collar. However, the rack platform will be 3 - 6 inches above your tire, much higher than necessary for clearance. The resulting weight distribution is very poor for handling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    New to mountain biking and just picked up a gx1. New odi grips and Chester pedals. Only mods so far! Any other suggestions for must have upgrades?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by csapp19 View Post
    New to mountain biking and just picked up a gx1. New odi grips and Chester pedals. Only mods so far! Any other suggestions for must have upgrades?

Great looking bike. I just sold my first beginners bike 3 hours ago. A 2018 Specialized Pitch Expert. I had it for a year and decided it was better to sell vs upgrade to an airfork, 1X drivetrain and dropper post without over spending on the bike.

I am leaning or at least 95% sure a Timberjack SLX is in my future but I canít decide on the 29ír or 27.5+. Iíve only test rode the 29ír in the parking lot since the LBS doesnít have the 27.5 in stock and would have to order. Iím hoping I can text some of their other bikes to get an idea of the plus wheels. It would probably have to be a Kona but the TJ would give me more options in the end. I keep looking at the matte green TJ a few post back and love that color over the orange 29ír but I havenít seen it in person. This is a grey thread and Iím hoping it helps me make a decision after I have thrown a leg over both sizes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    The Kona was really nice but I got a great deal on my TJ. I really like the plus tires, especially since I'm a newbie. It just gives me a little more control and confidence in turns. Good luck! Im a huge salsa fan now!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    The Kona was really nice but I got a great deal on my TJ. I really like the plus tires, especially since I'm a newbie. It just gives me a little more control and confidence in turns. Good luck! Im a huge salsa fan now!

I still consider myself a newbie as well. What persuaded you to make the jump to the GX model vs the SLX model. I like that color of your GX

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

If you find yourself wanting more braking power after a few rides, upgrading to Shimano XT brakes front and back worked really well for me. They have WAY more power than the stock level brakes. All the braking power you'll ever need with one finger pulling the lever.

I used to think I didn't need a dropper, but I bit the bullet and bought one, and after just a few rides I couldn't imagine riding my bike without one.

A good set of tires set up tubeless and a better fork like a RS Pike really change the feel of the bike for the better as well.

mtbr member
    If you find yourself wanting more braking power after a few rides, upgrading to Shimano XT brakes front and back worked really well for me. They have WAY more power than the stock level brakes. All the braking power you'll ever need with one finger pulling the lever.

I used to think I didn't need a dropper, but I bit the bullet and bought one, and after just a few rides I couldn't imagine riding my bike without one.

A good set of tires set up tubeless and a better fork like a RS Pike really change the feel of the bike for the better as well.
    exactly what he said, PLUS keep posting on here or your upgrades won't be effective

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

This is an underrated and easy upgrade - saddle!

Touchpoints on a bike are critical for riding comfort. Looks like you have grips and pedals sorted out. But, OEM saddles are not given alot of thought by bike manufacturers - as there is alot of personal preference involved. Saddles come in many sizes and most shops have demo saddles to try out if you want to upgrade.
    2013 Salsa Vaya 3
    2017 Salsa Timberjack

MTBNJP
    May 2019
    Has anyone done any research on sun ringle DŁroc 45 rims? Sun ringle Website says these are OEM only. Anyone had any luck finding a seller?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I am excited to go out this weekend with some friends. I'll be slow, but you gotta start somewhere! Nigel, I chose the gx strictly for price. LBS had the gx for $850 as it was last year's model. Originally 1200+, so I couldn't pass it up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I am excited to go out this weekend with some friends. I'll be slow, but you gotta start somewhere! Nigel, I chose the gx strictly for price. LBS had the gx for $850 as it was last year's model. Originally 1200+, so I couldn't pass it up!

Canít fault you for that. That is a deal. Iím hoping to catch the SLX on sale. Let us know how that ride goes

mtbr member
    That's less than my 18 NX was after discounts. Ride it like you stole it

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    That's less than my 18 NX was after discounts. Ride it like you stole it
    That's my plan! Just got my tailgate pad in today ready to go for tomorrow morning!

ilmfat
    Mar 2007

New Tech is worth the mech!

Coming off Vassago Jabberwockys, this is a whole new animal. And to think, I was lamenting the demise of the El Mar.

Two of many our club purchased this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-timber1.jpg  

crap! i gotta learn to climb. - 2011

Climbing ain't so bad. - 2019

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    And for anyone on the fence, my buddy said he'd never go 29, "because wagon wheels". He played with a large Timber with 29x2.6 3c Rekons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-review.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat View Post
    And for anyone on the fence, my buddy said he'd never go 29, "because wagon wheels". He played with a large Timber with 29x2.6 3c Rekons.
    which fancy tires are they?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Rekon 2.6 3c

He mentioned maybe wanting lighter tires after the initial ride, but subsequent convos he says the 2.6 do it for him.

And the Nukeproof wheels aren't the lightest either. A month ago, Wheel/tire weight was one of his paramount priorities. So take that for what it's worth, Interwubs.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydgoodman View Post
    Does anyone know anywhere that has the timberjack aluminium frameset in stock in size Large?
    I tried to find a large TJ frame a couple of months ago via my LBS. They called Salsa - no large TJ frames available until July - maybe - was the response.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Has anyone done any research on sun ringle DŁroc 45 rims? Sun ringle Website says these are OEM only. Anyone had any luck finding a seller?
    I have them on my trek Stache, they're ok. Almost nobody in the stache thread would replace them with the same wheel though, they all upgrade to carbon.

Best bet is contact your local trek store and see if they have any takeoffs

mtbr member
    Just ordered the NX Eagle 29 build. Will replace the Sektor fork with a Pike. Should be here just in time for Father's Day getaway!

Stoked!
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    does anyone make a exact replacement decal set? or has anyone scanned them and can message me the file so I can have a local shop place print them out. thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I have a 2019 Timberjack (Deore, 27.5) and love it.

If I wanted to get a wheelset for more urban usage (so, 29" and for using with skinnier tires than the 2.8s that came stock with the 27.5 wheels), what specific requirements would I have to make sure are met? I'm a total noob when it comes to cycling, so there's a lot of terminology I don't know.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    The Beauty of the Timberjack is in its versatility. You can do QR135/141 or Thru Axle 12x142 or Boost 12x148.

If 135, you will need the Alternator Boost reduction kit. If 142, Add Thru Axle dropouts and an axle.

If going Boost Thru Axle, you'll need the Thru Axle Dropouts and an axle.

Your stock wheels are Boost 141 QR.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    As far as "which wheels", identify budget first. Spring for handbuilt. Or roll your own.

Whichever Hub route you go, the TJ can be configured to work with it.

mtbr member
    Hey guys I found a Timberland NX on sale for $1799...Is that a pretty good deal, and at that price is it worth it over the SLX ? I was only going to look at the SLX but then the sales guy told me over the phone about the NX sale

mtbr member
    Hey guys I found a Timberland NX on sale for $1799...Is that a pretty good deal, and at that price is it worth it over the SLX ? I was only going to look at the SLX but then the sales guy told me over the phone about the NX sale
    it depends:

1. is an SLX available? if you end up liking the timberjack and only the NX is available then get it over the SLX.

2. if both are available, i would get the NX if you don't plan on upgrading parts. but if you are planning to do a bunch of upgrades then get the cheaper bike since you'd end swapping out the cheaper parts anyway

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I was rather unimpressed with the level brakes on my woodsmoke.

mtbr member
    it depends:

1. is an SLX available? if you end up liking the timberjack and only the NX is available then get it over the SLX.

2. if both are available, i would get the NX if you don't plan on upgrading parts. but if you are planning to do a bunch of upgrades then get the cheaper bike since you'd end swapping out the cheaper parts anyway
    ya really not planning on upgrading really unless out of neccessity if something breaks or my skills get that much better..I think it's going to be a while before I could really be upgrading because of my skills

mtbr member
    ya really not planning on upgrading really unless out of neccessity if something breaks or my skills get that much better..I think it's going to be a while before I could really be upgrading because of my skills
    for a few hundred dollars more, the NX comes with:

rock shox sektor vs recon
    12 (11-50) vs 11 (11-46) speed
    32t vs 30t crank (faster top speed for those pavement rides to and from trail)
    better WTB tires vs OEM WTB tires

The tires on the slx are definitely something I'd swap out, whether that alone is worth the extra you'd pay for the NX is up to you.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    And Jenson has 4 Piston XT front brakes for $150.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007

#CultOfTheCogCornucopia

My main bang Whacko group on FB has some peeps that say I sound like a cult leader when I speak of my successes.

Anyone want some Kool Aid?

Name:  Cult.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  50.0 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Ignore my floor mats, needed to wash them. Thanks for all the advice, got new bars and set my tires up tubeless today. The new shoes feel great! Riding in my first race as a beginner next week! Still need a new saddle. Any good suggestions?

mtbr member
    Ignore my floor mats, needed to wash them. Thanks for all the advice, got new bars and set my tires up tubeless today. The new shoes feel great! Riding in my first race as a beginner next week! Still need a new saddle. Any good suggestions?

Timberjack Thread-20140216-131646.jpg

those look like new tires... looks like dhr ii/rekon? can't quite make those out

what kind of bar did you get?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Name:	20140216-131646.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	1259011

those look like new tires... looks like dhr ii/rekon? can't quite make those out

what kind of bar did you get?
    You're good! Dhr ii front with rekon rear. Tubeless setup was surprisingly easy and I haven't lost any air or sealant overnight, so I guess I did ok. Excited to lower pressure to get the full feel of tubeless

ilmfat
    Mar 2007

"Though the climb may bust your lungs, what goes up must come down."- Reverend Ripper

Am I Timberjacking right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-city.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Am I Timberjacking right?
    A+

Extra points for the dirt, family fun, and bling factor on the Blue TJ!
    2013 Salsa Vaya 3
    2017 Salsa Timberjack

ilmfat
    Mar 2007

I once sought inspiration. Perhaps now I can provide it.

"Even though I climb through the valley of the asthma of breath, we will gear flow steep hill, for true our wheel keeps; the prod and the graph, they comport glee." - Cardinal Cardio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-climb.jpg  

MTBNJP
    May 2019

DŁroc 45 rims

Thanks for info on Stache using same rims. Have a Trek LBS nearby that I may have to check out to see if take off rims are available.
    Found another possibility on one of the trails at Croom in Brooksville, FL tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-76590733-3d2e-4cf0-99b6-80549a86f6e6.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey guys,,,Is it possible to turn the 2019 SLX into a 12 speed ? If not, is that a cassette on the rear ? If I wanted to switch out the biggest gear for a bigger climbing gear can I ?

also, how hard/expensive is it to switch out the front chainring to a 32t ?

lastly, the 27.5 timberjack is tubeless ready, right ?

I'm leaning towards the SLX now because it is on sale for $1399 whereas I can't find the NX on sale and that is selling for $1999....Hard to justify that price for the NX....Seems like better value for the SLX right now

mtbr member
    for a few hundred dollars more, the NX comes with:

rock shox sektor vs recon
    12 (11-50) vs 11 (11-46) speed
    32t vs 30t crank (faster top speed for those pavement rides to and from trail)
    better WTB tires vs OEM WTB tires

The tires on the slx are definitely something I'd swap out, whether that alone is worth the extra you'd pay for the NX is up to you.

Hey tweeder...now what do you think is the better deal ? I missed out on the sale for the NX....So the price is $1399 right now for an SLX versus $1999 for an NX

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    11-46 is plenty. Anything lower and you'll lift the front end. Front chainring is around $25. Labor to switch it will be more, as it includes a crank removal and install.

SLX 27.5 is wire tire, but tubeless rim. Tubeless tires would be needed. I been riding the stock set up and loving it. The Ranger 2.8s are killer, even in 27tpi.

The 29x"2.6" trail bosses on the Deore 29, however, awful. Drag on the road and squirmy in the corners.

If you go SLX 27.5, only "must" upgrade is a larger front rotor, or even an XT quad piston. And even that's only if you're doing long descents. I've done back to back shuttles on some fairly brake heavy trails, especially following my kiddo, and was just starting to notice a bit of fade on the stock brakes after the second one. I upgraded because I can see this bike doing 4-5 runs back to back. But if you aren't shuttling or doing really long descents, stock brakes are fine.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    The only time I've wished for more gear was when I was riding the Sm Deore 29 to see how draggy the tires are. I'm 5'10". Between insufficient pedal extension and draggy tires, stand and mash/coast was the best route, but the gear wasn't high enough. Any other time, any downhill steep enough to outpace the 30x11 is enough to get goin plenty fast. Stock 30x11-46, sure it gets outpaced by the hill pretty quick but the 2.8 Rangers don't really hold you back. Not as much pushing the tire required to utilize the downhills. My shop dude says that's not just tire tech, but geo, as well.

I don't really know. All I know is I am blown away by this bike. And especially the stock 27.5 tires.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Run your chainstays short and even moderate downhills will have you reaching for the brakes. You'll feel the 30x11 is plenty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    11-46 is plenty. Anything lower and you'll lift the front end. Front chainring is around $25.
    I have 11x49 on my TJ, and use the lowest gear quite a bit for the local terrain and high country rides and donít have any problems with front wheel lift. The 70 mm stem seems to be sufficient for keeping the weight out front and Iíve even been considering shortening that a bit to 50 since the geometry of the TJ does well at keeping your weight centered on steeper climbs.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,,,Is it possible to turn the 2019 SLX into a 12 speed ? If not, is that a cassette on the rear ? If I wanted to switch out the biggest gear for a bigger climbing gear can I ?

I'm leaning towards the SLX now because it is on sale for $1399 whereas I can't find the NX on sale and that is selling for $1999....Hard to justify that price for the NX....Seems like better value for the SLX right now
    Hey tweeder...now what do you think is the better deal ? I missed out on the sale for the NX....So the price is $1399 right now for an SLX versus $1999 for an NX
    you could justify it either way really:

NX if you just want to get a bike and ride and not touch anything on it for a while.

SLX if you just want to get a bike and ride and start to swap out stuff as you go. But be careful, if you are only swapping out stuff to match the NX it's probably cheaper to just get the NX.

However, if you are looking to swap out stuff because you have a certain build in mind (specific components that is different than the NX) then the SLX is much better, because it's cheaper and you're swapping out the inferior parts.

personal opinion I would get the SLX and start riding. As you travel the country and hit up different terrains, start taking notes of the bike's performance and start to upgrade from there. because many scenarios can come from this:

a. you are advancing quickly and the parts on the SLX are not keeping up with the trails you want to ride. at that point you'll know how fancy of a part you need to upgrade to

b. you are riding along fine, except for some little things that bug you (tires, brakes, fork, gearing... etc) you shop around and find the best upgrade for your skill and your wallet

c. the SLX is more bike than your skills. meaning that you are not riding it hard enough for its parts to fail you. then just keep riding and keep that cash in your pocket.

end personal opinion

check out wolftooth for swapping out the gears in your cassette to make it an 11 speed 11-49.

use Bicycle Gear Calculator to see if it's worth it for you to swap out your gears

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    "personal opinion I would get the [whichever bike] and start riding. As you travel the country and hit up different terrains, start taking notes of the bike's performance and start to upgrade from there. because many scenarios can come from this"

I paraphrased a bit, but I agree. You can plan upgrades and spend unnecessary money. Or you can ride the bike then upgrade.

As far as "How much to make the SLX as good as the NX Eagle?"

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=95587

$150 for an XT front brake (every level brake I've pulled was mush. I would recommend a front brake as a must on the NX, so this one is a wash.)

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...imano-11-speed

SLX shifts fine, though I am sure someone on here has experiences that refute my claim.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Or if you can stretch your budget:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=95063

$2200 for an SLX with expander cog and a pike

Or

$2000 for an NX eagle with brakes you're likely to hate.

mtbr member
    don't remember your stance on dropper post... but I'd recommend it.

when I got mine, I got the dropper and pedals from the same shop and had them install them and I had them set up those non-tubeless rangers tubeless for me as well.

so just plan for that when you go to get your bike

mtbr member
    May 2007

Right now, many sizes of SLX are sold out.....more not due until August....you might want to check availability.....

Lon

mtbr member
    Got my NX 29 built up.

Scrapped the Sektor fork and put a Pike on it.

Only other thing I have planned is to replace the bars, the Salsa ones have way too much back sweep for me.

This thing rips!

Timberjack Thread-20190628_193239.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Got my NX 29 built up.

Scrapped the Sektor fork and put a Pike on it.

Only other thing I have planned is to replace the bars, the Salsa ones have way too much back sweep for me.

This thing rips!

Name:	20190628_193239.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	300.5 KB 
ID:	1260977
    nice!

1. when you say "scrapped the sektor", do you mean you'd sell it?
    2. is the 29er sektor the same as the 27.5+?
    3. how much better is this sektor fork than the recon fork that came on my 2018 timberjack?

mtbr member
    nice!

1. when you say "scrapped the sektor", do you mean you'd sell it?
    2. is the 29er sektor the same as the 27.5+?
    3. how much better is this sektor fork than the recon fork that came on my 2018 timberjack?
    I am selling the Sektor fork, yes. It is 29/27.5+

There's a couple things that set the Sektor apart - the Debonair spring and the ability to run volume reducing tokens to tune the ride. They both use the same Motion Control damper and have 32mm stanchions.

DM me if you're interested and we can chat more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
    Right now, many sizes of SLX are sold out.....more not due until August....you might want to check availability.....

Lon
    yeppp, you're right...at least at the REI website they are out of my size (large)...maybe I'll just go with the NX ...I really wanted to go tubeless which I could with that model..I also like the 32t chainring...i just dont have much time to be working on the bike...I know I want to bike it's the $2k that's holding me back (I have the money)..i just never spent that much on a bike lol

mtbr member

threw these on...

My original fear was that I was going to feel all of the drag from these (or any other tire I chose) and feel none of the extra grip compared to those Rangers

Fortunately, that was not true. While pedaling, there might be a slight (imagined?) more rolling resistance. I'd say I definitely could feel the bike being a tad slower on some downhills, not maintaining speed between features.

But the extra grip I gained was noticeable. I could take corners faster, climbs better -- I didn't slip climbing on the Rangers, but these felt more "clawy" climbing -- it was definitely fun to the lean the bike. I could feel/hear the corner lugs engage, whereas with the rangers' having the same lugs all over, leaning or not leaning didn't really make any difference.

bonus tidbit that really doesnt matter: i think they looks way better than the rangers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-img_20190629_161157588.jpg  

Timberjack Thread-img_20190630_1048018263.jpg  

Timberjack Thread-img_20190629_190503610.jpg  

Timberjack Thread-img_20190629_193550878.jpg  

Timberjack Thread-img_20190629_201200605.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey guys, looks like I'm finally part of the club ! After a super super long research period (over a year on and off as I was in between jobs) I finally was able to buy a bike...I ended up getting a 2019 SLX on sale for $1399...I pick it up at a LBS on Tuesday or Wednesday ! Awwww yaaaaaaa lol

I wanted a rear rack but the price was $120 something for the rack plus $32 for a seat post clamp ? I can't justify around $160 for a rack....Anyone know if there are any other racks out there that I can get to fit it ?

Also, running the stock tube tires till I figure things out..I'm about 210lbs...What kind of air pressure can I run in these on trails ? Also, I am a trucker so I will take my bike with me and do a lot of riding from my truck so that means a lot of pavement riding...sometimes pavement to get to the trails so I will be wanting to adjust air pressure...anyone know of a decent frame mount air pump with a pressure gauge ?

EXORCIZE
    Has anyone slid the dropouts fully forward with a 29x2.6?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Has anyone slid the dropouts fully forward with a 29x2.6?
    Yep. No issues. I have mine all the way back for more stability though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hey guys, looks like I'm finally part of the club ! After a super super long research period (over a year on and off as I was in between jobs) I finally was able to buy a bike...I ended up getting a 2019 SLX on sale for $1399...I pick it up at a LBS on Tuesday or Wednesday ! Awwww yaaaaaaa lol

I wanted a rear rack but the price was $120 something for the rack plus $32 for a seat post clamp ? I can't justify around $160 for a rack....Anyone know if there are any other racks out there that I can get to fit it ?

Also, running the stock tube tires till I figure things out..I'm about 210lbs...What kind of air pressure can I run in these on trails ? Also, I am a trucker so I will take my bike with me and do a lot of riding from my truck so that means a lot of pavement riding...sometimes pavement to get to the trails so I will be wanting to adjust air pressure...anyone know of a decent frame mount air pump with a pressure gauge ?
    Iím 210#. My stock rangers didnít last very long. Iíll tend to use free rubber for what I can get out of it, but those tires werenít near burly enough. I tend to run 14.5 psi in the front and 19.5 psi in the rear in my present set up if that gives you a frame of reference, but those pressures may be a little low for tubes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    Iím 210#. My stock rangers didnít last very long. Iíll tend to use free rubber for what I can get out of it, but those tires werenít near burly enough. I tend to run 14.5 psi in the front and 19.5 psi in the rear in my present set up if that gives you a frame of reference, but those pressures may be a little low for tubes.
    Hey man ! thanks a lot for that info..I appreciate it...I imagine at some point I will be upgrading to better tires and tubeless for sure...To start I want to get the feel for it and go from there...But I'll definitely use your psi settings for reference !

EXORCIZE
    I have [my dropouts] all the way back for more stability though.
    I want to build a rigid 29er single speed (3.0/2.6) and am willing to sacrifice some stability for maximum climbing prowess.

mtbr member
    I want to build a rigid 29er single speed (3.0/2.6) and am willing to sacrifice some stability for maximum climbing prowess.
    I think bikes with longer chainstays climb a little bit better.

EXORCIZE
    I think bikes with longer chainstays climb a little bit better.
    To a point. There's an optimal length for each rider's needs. It's a never-ending debate especially among SS riders.

I've long liked ~17.0" but want to go super short with this bike because I'll be using oversized platform pedals (arch over spindle) which move my feet/body forward ~40mm (vs. SPD) - totally changes the relationship to rear axle. They make the 17.1" stays on my Kona Unit SS feel like 18" when climbing out of the saddle - no bueno.

mtbr member
    To a point. There's an optimal length for each rider's needs. It's a never-ending debate especially among SS riders.

I've long liked ~17.0" but want to go super short with this bike because I'll be using oversized platform pedals (arch over spindle) which move my feet/body forward ~40mm (vs. SPD) - totally changes the relationship to rear axle. They make the 17.1" stays on my Kona Unit SS feel like 18" when climbing out of the saddle - no bueno.
    That makes sense.

mtbr member
    picked up my bike today...had it less than an hour, popped a wheelie on a sidewalk, flew back, and ripped the seat ....Seems real easy to pop a wheelie lol..I bought a bunch of other stuff while I was there...I put on a side entry water bottle holder (girl in shop recommended it), an air pump, and a cell phone holder...Debating on whether or not I will go with a bike rack...I might just use my back pack...Looking forward to hittting some trails and upgrading as necessary...I can say I already wasn't too impressed with the 30t front chainring for top speed..I think one of the first things I will do is upgrade that to a 32t....Can anyone recommend a front chainring ? thanks, RB
    I tried adding pics but it said upload failed

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have been running a fox 36 off my old bike, currently at 160mm and not bothering me for regular work commute and way better on the steep and loose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-img_20190702_171715.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

My original fear was that I was going to feel all of the drag from these (or any other tire I chose) and feel none of the extra grip compared to those Rangers

Fortunately, that was not true. While pedaling, there might be a slight (imagined?) more rolling resistance. I'd say I definitely could feel the bike being a tad slower on some downhills, not maintaining speed between features.

But the extra grip I gained was noticeable. I could take corners faster, climbs better -- I didn't slip climbing on the Rangers, but these felt more "clawy" climbing -- it was definitely fun to the lean the bike. I could feel/hear the corner lugs engage, whereas with the rangers' having the same lugs all over, leaning or not leaning didn't really make any difference.

bonus tidbit that really doesnt matter: i think they looks way better than the rangers.
    Glad to see you got you some tires that you like. I've read good things on the Butcher tires, but haven't even heard of the Slaughter. I'm guessing it's a little less aggressive since you have it on the back.

mtbr member
    picked up my bike today...had it less than an hour, popped a wheelie on a sidewalk, flew back, and ripped the seat ....Seems real easy to pop a wheelie lol..I bought a bunch of other stuff while I was there...I put on a side entry water bottle holder (girl in shop recommended it), an air pump, and a cell phone holder...Debating on whether or not I will go with a bike rack...I might just use my back pack...Looking forward to hittting some trails and upgrading as necessary...I can say I already wasn't too impressed with the 30t front chainring for top speed..I think one of the first things I will do is upgrade that to a 32t....Can anyone recommend a front chainring ? thanks, RB
    Woohoo! glad to hear that you got to enjoy it right away!

it's good to wait on the rack, since it's so expensive. see if back pack or other means work first before committing.

pics fail to upload sometimes when the file size is too big (>2mb?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41 elgin View Post
    I have been running a fox 36 off my old bike, currently at 160mm and not bothering me for regular work commute and way better on the steep and loose.
    wow, 160mm! nice!!

and here I am thinking that the people running 140mm are rebels since salsa only recommends 130mm forks max.

did you think long and hard before putting the 160 fork on? or you just went for it since you already have the fork?

mtbr member
    Glad to see you got you some tires that you like. I've read good things on the Butcher tires, but haven't even heard of the Slaughter. I'm guessing it's a little less aggressive since you have it on the back.
    yea reviewers online are calling the slaughter a semi-slick. So I thought I'd give it a go to see if it is a good fast-rolling tire that can corner.

I'm glad I found them as maxxis and schwalbe were the front runners in my search, but they don't make their semi-slicks in 2.8s... so I stumbled upon the butcher/slaughter and they come in 2.8 and they were $60 per. that's the cheapest of all the tires I was looking at.

seconds place were the teravail kennebec/cumberland at $70 per.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    You could also consider a frame bag instead of a backpack or rack. The TJ has a pretty good amount of frame space.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    wow, 160mm! nice!!

and here I am thinking that the people running 140mm are rebels since salsa only recommends 130mm forks max.

did you think long and hard before putting the 160 fork on? or you just went for it since you already have the fork?

I am not too worried about the warranty but was concerned with lifting the front end too much. I was planning on getting a shorter air shaft (140 - 150) but so far can't see spending the money or the time as there do not seem to be any downsides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41 elgin View Post
    I am not too worried about the warranty but was concerned with lifting the front end too much. I was planning on getting a shorter air shaft (140 - 150) but so far can't see spending the money or the time as there do not seem to be any downsides.
    interesting!! not many downsides at 160...

I am thinking about getting the DVO Beryl. out of the box it is 160mm but can be adjusted down to 130mm. so I can be like you and run the 160 like a boss.

but if it gets to be too much rule breaking for me to handle, I have the option to dial it back

just trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger, if I wait I risk them selling out and/or lose the good sale deal.

mtbr member
    160mm seems a bit much for a hardtail that's not super aggressive.

Any hit that will use 160mm of travel is gonna buck that rear end hard. (unless your suspension is set up really badly and you just blow through the travel on small bumps)

That combined with the raising of the BB and shortening of the reach, seems like it's not worth it.

But whatever works for you, works for you!

mtbr member
    160mm seems a bit much for a hardtail that's not super aggressive.

Any hit that will use 160mm of travel is gonna buck that rear end hard. (unless your suspension is set up really badly and you just blow through the travel on small bumps)

That combined with the raising of the BB and shortening of the reach, seems like it's not worth it.

But whatever works for you, works for you!
    have you looked at the DVO beryl (probably adjusting it to 130mm)?

mtbr member
    have you looked at the DVO beryl (probably adjusting it to 130mm)?
    I'm not too familiar with the DVO stuff, but after a quick glance seems good. I put a Pike on mine - same 35mm stanchions, similar adjustments.

mtbr member
    I'm not too familiar with the DVO stuff, but after a quick glance seems good. I put a Pike on mine - same 35mm stanchions, similar adjustments.
    how much was your pike, if you don't mind me asking?

mtbr member
    how much was your pike, if you don't mind me asking?
    I only paid $300 for it since I do a lot of free printing and graphic design work for my LBS. They hooked me up big time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Anyone have an XL timberjack frame for sale?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Has anyone tried 27.5x2.6 tires on their Timberjacks? I know what Salsa says but it's never stopped people from trying. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Ninja View Post
    Has anyone tried 27.5x2.6 tires on their Timberjacks? I know what Salsa says but it's never stopped people from trying. Thanks
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...l#post14087226

mtbr member
    So while researching the DVO Beryl, didn't really find much on the Beryl but

I read a review on the Sapphire 32 here

and a thread on the Sapphire 32, here

in which, they're saying that the DVO's 32mm is as stiff as the 34/35mm's, and in that it has good adjustability.

And it's actually cheaper than the Beryl

So, I'm pretty hungry now; but I'll have to seriously consider the sapphire 32 after lunch

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

27.5 to 29

Had a new wheelset built for the TJ. I enjoyed the 27.5+, but just too heavy and too much climbing/pedaling/rolling resistance for my liking. Hope Pro 4 laced to Spank Trail 345s. 2.35 Nobby Nic front, 2.3 Aggressor rear. Climbs/pedals a TON better/faster/easier with nearly zero loss of traction on the downs - maybe a little less grip in sandy corners, but that's it. I see a niche for 27.5+ - but not on our local trails.
    Timberjack Thread-img-2744-small.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Looks good, EP!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Good looking bike

mtbr member
    I want to change my chainring to a 32t..I have the '19 SLX with race face cranks...do I need any particular chainring and is there anything special to swapping it out ? thanks....I'll post a pic of the bike soon..it's a pain on this site as it's old fashioned lol

mtbr member
    ok here's some pics of the new ride...First ride on the sidewalk outside my sister's house I did a wheelie on the sidewalk and flipped back tearing the seat lol...also came with no grommet for seat post cable on the lower part of the frame..Bike shop said this is how they have been coming from Salsa, and that it is easier for the cable to work without the grommet...plan on changing out chainring and pedals to start...debating between plastic or metal with the pedal...leaning plasticTimberjack Thread-20190702_185952_opt.jpgName:  20190702_191947_opt.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  45.5 KBName:  20190702_192010_opt.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  53.3 KB

mtbr member
    So far the only additions are a water bottle holder and an air pump lol...rims are tubless ready I guess but the tires are not..going to ride it for a little with the tubes till I upgrade them

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Someone further up the page said they tubeless'd the stock tires. My shop guy won't do wire bead tires, but I've heard some set ups run fine.

mtbr member
    Someone further up the page said they tubeless'd the stock tires. My shop guy won't do wire bead tires, but I've heard some set ups run fine.
    I was one, bought my bike and at the same time bought my pedals and dropper. Had the shop install them both and because I read some where (probably here) that the stock rangers can run tubelss despite not being tubeles ready, I asked the LBS to try and they did.

I did see sealant weeps all over the tire, like it's oozing out of the pores; I had to air up the tires often. compared to the new tires I installed, I only dropped 0.5-1 psi where the stock rangers would have dropped probably 4-5 psi in the span of a week

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    I'm doing a second TJ with 27.5x2.8 DHF/Rekon on Spank 350s for my fun bike. My miles focused main bang TJ is getting 29x2.6 Rekon/Ikon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Mineís a little different with the mismatched wheel sizes. 27.5x3.0 with XL Vittoria Airliner in the back, 29x2.6 up front. Timberjack Thread-6ee52f70-58c5-4569-95fc-748ad0394429.jpg

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    27.5x3.0 with XL Vittoria Airliner in the back, 29x2.6 up front. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1264203
    I like it. What do you think of the wheel/tire combo? I'm planning a rigid 29er 3.0/2.6.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    $3000+ build. love it.
    Timberjack Thread-20190629_134622.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Combo is great. The 2.6 up front is narrow enough to carve well, and the 3.0 out back has great climbing traction and floatation.

Iíve tried 29x3.0 f/róI liked it, but found it to best for fire-road crushing. The mixed-size Timberjack handles more traditionally, and feels like a better fit for singletrack. The rear wheel is of course a little heavy with the Grid casing plus tire and the Airliner.

mtbr member
    The stock WTB Rangers on the SLX are not my cup of tea...can only put the pressure so low in them being tubed....Today was my second ride and I hit a crooked root and it lifted the front tire of the ground sideways and I landed like that flipping over the handlebars...Anyone have some suggestions for tubless 27.5" tires for this bike ? thanks

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    It took me a couple rides to get a feel for the tires. I got bucked in a couple spots on my first few rides.

My kid and my boss got 3c 29x2.6 Rekon/Ikon pairs setup tubeless...and needed a couple rides to get a feel for the tires. Both got bucked in the same spots I did.

I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade. My 3c Rekon/Ikon upgrade is at the bottom of the priority list, but it is on the to do list. But it's towards the bottom because I stuck it out through the "hellymoon" stage, and they go where I point em now. A bit worthless on gravel over hard pack if the turn isn't banked, but it is what it is.

All that said, if my regular route had baby heads or bigger for a decent portion of its length, I would upgrade quicker. But then, I would not have purchased an aluminum hard tail or 3.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007

Minion Of The Month

And I know this isn't "Blinged Out Timberjack" like some of your peeps' gorgeous machines, but I swear the forks are top end. And she has the 3c tires and some color.

Phwigh, she's 4'8" and prefers a Small 29x2.6 versus the Xs 27.5x2.8s. She's pretty confident on the bike, though. And she doesn't chase the clock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Timberjack Thread-mtbr3.jpg  

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    And I have a slow leak in my front tire. Too low of pressure and it gets squirmy quick, even on flat, level roads/trails.

Maybe air em up a bit.

Iirc, I went with 22 psi front. It started to go south on our second ride.

Did you say your 210? I'm around there. Maybe do 23-25 PSI. The traction ain't the best, but technique can handle the roots and rocks (mostly) and the size alone adds stability in corners, unless gravel, "unless unless" banked. And it may be a bit inclined to buck. But I'm blessed to be coming off of rigid SS, so perhaps my love of the Stock tires, and the TJ in general, is due to my high tolerance of those issues.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    Rear is 24 psi, I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oubbascooba View Post
    $3000+ build. love it.

Name:	20190629_134622.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	377.1 KB 
ID:	1264231
    I see some small changes from your april post, what have you got on your build now?

mtbr member
    The stock WTB Rangers on the SLX are not my cup of tea...can only put the pressure so low in them being tubed....Today was my second ride and I hit a crooked root and it lifted the front tire of the ground sideways and I landed like that flipping over the handlebars...Anyone have some suggestions for tubless 27.5" tires for this bike ? thanks
    I'd agree with ilmfat, that technique will help you handle obstacles.

Besides, tires are subjective, and you are a travelling rider, and you'll have some pavement rides from your rig to the trails.

So, you'll either end up with a set of jack-of-all-trades tires, or you'll have to choose what features on a tire are important to you and what features you are willing to give up.

and from what I hear, the proper tubeless ready WTB rangers are great jack-of-all-trades tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I see some small changes from your april post, what have you got on your build now?
    Onyx Hubs on Stan's Baron Wheels laced with 27.5x2.8 new style Hans Dampf's. Thing is a rad machine now.

mtbr member
    May 2007

and from what I hear, the proper tubeless ready WTB rangers are great jack-of-all-trades tires.

Not to mention being lower on the price spectrum that a LOT of tires......I ordered a set today to replace the stockers on my TJ.....

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910