Timberjack SLX hubs?- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Timberjack SLX hubs?

I bought the Timberjack 27.5+ SLX model a couple of months ago and rebuilt the frame with my own parts. Can't seem to sell the stock WTB wheelset, so I'm considering rebuilding its hubs on a set of 29'er rims. But,. I can't figure out who makes the hubs - they are plain black and Salsa's website just says that they are "WTB" hubs. However, I don't see that WTB even makes their own hubs anymore. Anybody have any intel on what sort of animal these hubs are?

mtbr member
    Are they cup 'n' cone or sealed, pressed in bearings? Did you remove the freehub to check out what sort of engagement they use? WTB never made their own hubs, American Classic used to make them and then WTB just re-badged them. I had an early set from 2007, engagement was and is utter crap, if you need to back pedal you have to go back well over a quarter turn to get it to engage, it was some weird fvcked up drive system, but they're working fine now on my old Monkey doing commuter duties
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I think they're the WTB Serra hubs that are also on the Horsethief and another Salsa bike. But, WTB doesn't seem to sell them aftermarket anywhere. I emailed Salsa directly - no response yet. I don't want to build a wheel around a crap hub just to have to rebuild it later.

mtbr member
    Well then, personally, I'd strip the hubs down and see just what the internals have going on, if the engagement is good and has enough POE for what you want, if all that checks out, I'd give them a go, especially if you build your own wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

DFMBA.org
    I looked at one yesterday at a bike shop. Thinking of getting one myself, so I wanted to see one in person. From what I could see looking at the hubs, they resemble the ones in this drawing ( https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...0326v3.pdf?916), so I think they're the Speedterra or Proterra. They don't look like the Serra model. Also, the engagement sounded halfway decent which would marry to the 4 pawl/ratchet ring drawing. They definitely didn't sound like the poor engagement Formula-type hubs.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They are the WTB Speedterra. Certainly nicer than the old Salsa/Formula hubs. I've got an experiment in progress, I should be able to post results later this week...
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Experiment complete. WTB (direct, only source) sells replacement freehubs for their Speedterra hubs which come on these new Salsas. In stock form, the Shimano and SRAM freehubs have 4 large pawls and have decent engagement. However, these replacement freehubs from WTB have 6 pawls. They drop right in, sound killer, and greatly improve the engagement. Nice cheap upgrade.

Part numbers:
    W035-0125 Shimano Freehub Kit
    W035-0127 Sram Freehub Kit
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

DFMBA.org
    Timberjack SLX hubs?-6446bf3a-8e26-4e63-ba42-28f00fe9893e.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Experiment complete. WTB (direct, only source) sells replacement freehubs for their Speedterra hubs which come on these new Salsas. In stock form, the Shimano and SRAM freehubs have 4 large pawls and have decent engagement. However, these replacement freehubs from WTB have 6 pawls. They drop right in, sound killer, and greatly improve the engagement. Nice cheap upgrade.

Part numbers:
    W035-0125 Shimano Freehub Kit
    W035-0127 Sram Freehub Kit
    Wow, awesome. Nice work!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The rear hub of my 2019 TJ has a weird hum. Tried to disassemble it, but couldn't. There seems to be a specific tool that I never seen. Does anyone know what tool is that? See the profile inside the hub.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by fmendes; 09-16-2019 at 12:29 PM.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by fmendes View Post
    The rear hub of my 2019 TJ has a weird hum. Tried to disassemble it, but couldn't. There seems to be a specific tool that I never seen. Does anyone know what tool is that? See the profile inside the hub.

Thanks in advance.
    Not sure. Looks strange. My LBS told me that her QBP rep stated that these are Serra hubs (not Speedterra), so I looked up a drawing for the Serra hubs. I think what you may be seeing is part #7 or #8 on the 12x148 drawing. Either way, it looks to be a proprietary part which would require a special tool from WTB.

Timberjack SLX hubs?-serra.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Not sure. Looks strange. My LBS told me that her QBP rep stated that these are Serra hubs (not Speedterra), so I looked up a drawing for the Serra hubs. I think what you may be seeing is part #7 or #8 on the 12x148 drawing. Either way, it looks to be a proprietary part which would require a special tool from WTB.
    Your answer was perfect. From there I got to this page, that says:

The freehub is removed from the hub using a 14mm hex key once both the bearing nut and end cap are removed from the drive side. Insert the 14mm hex key into the non-drive side of the hub and slide it through until it engages with the freehub body carrier (8) on the drive side. Looking at the non-drive side of the shell, rotate the 14mm hex key clockwise to remove it from the hub shell.
    Exactly what I needed confirmation, as I suspected from this other thread:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...b-1115257.html

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by fmendes View Post
    Your answer was perfect. From there I got to this page, that says:

Exactly what I needed confirmation, as I suspected from this other thread:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...b-1115257.html

Thanks. I contacted WTB customer service this week (which was awesome) and a tech rep told me that the Serra free hub (part#19 on the drawing) is technically able to be serviced, but they recommend just getting a new one if it fails. I think with loose-bearing freehubs, itís just a matter of time.

Lastly, can confirm that the SLX model currently ships with the Serra hubs, which is the weakest part of the build spec. Overall tho, itís still good value for $1,400.

EDIT: WTB graciously sent me a Serra f/h for warranty replacement, so I just wanted to post what the p/n W035-0134 kit looks like. It's a direct order and available by contacting them directly, although I suppose a WTB local dealer could provide the same. It consists of 1) the Freehub Nut, 2) the freehub itself, and 3) 15x26x7 Bearing. Looking at it in-hand I would definitely say it's not really meant to be serviced. List price for a replacement is about $26.

Pics: Timberjack SLX hubs?-fh1.jpg

Timberjack SLX hubs?-fh2.jpg
    Last edited by MTBeing; 09-30-2019 at 04:54 PM.