Tell me about the Timberjack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Tell me about the Timberjack

Looking to get back into mountain biking, and keep my "all-in" cost under $2K. Did a little test ride on a Salsa Timberjack GX1 yesterday while I was visiting a local dealer looking to check out a Kona Big Honzo. The bike felt great, and the price at $1,400 is right there in my budget. It seems like it might be a little better value than the Roscoe 8. I realize I'll probably want to upgrade to a dropper post at some time in the future, but I'd imagine I can live without it for a while. What do you guys here in the Salsa forum think about this bike? Are there any problems with this bike that I need to keep an eye out for? Also, why do you think Salsa only carries a three year warranty on the frame, and not a lifetime warranty like most other manufacturers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Salsa's are great. Most of the smaller bike mfg's do not have a lifetime warranty. Buy whatever feels good. All of the bikes in the $1500-2000 range have similar parts, on a frame of their design, probably made in the same factory. Just different geometry, paint and stickers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    Looking to get back into mountain biking, and keep my "all-in" cost under $2K. Did a little test ride on a Salsa Timberjack GX1 yesterday while I was visiting a local dealer looking to check out a Kona Big Honzo. The bike felt great, and the price at $1,400 is right there in my budget. It seems like it might be a little better value than the Roscoe 8. I realize I'll probably want to upgrade to a dropper post at some time in the future, but I'd imagine I can live without it for a while. What do you guys here in the Salsa forum think about this bike? Are there any problems with this bike that I need to keep an eye out for? Also, why do you think Salsa only carries a three year warranty on the frame, and not a lifetime warranty like most other manufacturers?
    I have one...solid bike for a Hard Tail..The plus tires help with the gnar..I have had no issues with mine so far..great value for what you get in that price range..not sure why they only offer a 3 year warranty but I have never broke a frame other than an old Specialized frame that developed a crack in the seat tube...they replaced it..I did not even ask about their warranty when I bought the bike and I own a Timberjack, Beargrease, Mukluk, Vaya, Fargo, and Cutthroat...I really like their bikes and the versatility they offer with them..

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony137 View Post
    I have one...solid bike for a Hard Tail..The plus tires help with the gnar..I have had no issues with mine so far..great value for what you get in that price range..not sure why they only offer a 3 year warranty but I have never broke a frame other than an old Specialized frame that developed a crack in the seat tube...they replaced it..I did not even ask about their warranty when I bought the bike and I own a Timberjack, Beargrease, Mukluk, Vaya, Fargo, and Cutthroat...I really like their bikes and the versatility they offer with them..
    Thanks for the info Squirrel and Tony. I've made the decision to by the Timberjack. The local dealer just has to find a charcoal large frame and switch out the build kit from the one he has in stock. Out of all the bikes I've ridden in my budget range, it felt the best. I think it has the best fork and best drivetrain of all the local bikes in that price range, so I'm all in on the Timberjack. If the local dealer had a large bike in charcoal, I would already own it. I don't particularly care for the silver frame with the pinkish orange accents.