Tall riders on a Salsa Cutthroat- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Tall riders on a Salsa Cutthroat

Can an XL Salsa Cutthroat be setup so that the top of the saddle to center of BB is 83cm and the handlebars are level with the saddle?

Thanks.
    Last edited by happyriding; 03-31-2019 at 04:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Here's pic of my XL with the seat post adjusted for a saddle height of 82 cm and the stem flipped down with no spacers. Maybe that helps.

IMG_3141 by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    Here's pic of my XL with the seat post adjusted for a saddle height of 82 cm and the stem flipped down with no spacers. Maybe that helps.
    Hi Jan,

I previously read your thread about your build. Impressive!

Are you saying that in the picture if you put a saddle on the seatpost, then the top of the saddle would be 82cm from the center of the BB? Do you think with the stem flipped up and 30mm of spacers under the stem(the max?) that the top of the bars would be level with the saddle?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Hi Jan,

I previously read your thread about your build. Impressive!

Are you saying that in the picture if you put a saddle on the seatpost, then the top of the saddle would be 82cm from the center of the BB? Do you think with the stem flipped up and 30mm of spacers under the stem(the max?) that the top of the bars would be level with the saddle?
    Thanks. Yes, the saddle would be at my height, 82cm, if it was mounted. It seems to me you could get quite close to the desired level with the bars - but when I purchased the frame the steerer was cut like this so no telling for sure.

mtbr member
    Can an XL Salsa Cutthroat be setup so that the top of the saddle to center of BB is 83cm and the handlebars are level with the saddle?

Thanks.
    Are you saying that you have 100cm+ inseam on shoes? because that's kinda tall
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9
    Salsa Fargo XT/Gevenalle 2x11

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Shadow View Post
    Are you saying that you have 100cm+ inseam on shoes? because that's kinda tall
    Maybe you could show us the calculations that produced your 100cm PBH (pubic bone height) measurement. My seat height is only 1cm higher than Jan's, and I can guarantee you that neither of us has a 100 cm PBH.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jan.

Maybe you could show us the calculations that produced your 100cm PBH (pubic bone height) measurement. My seat height is only 1cm higher than Jan's, and I can guarantee you that neither of us has a 100 cm PBH.

Well, 83cm plus a 175mm crank is kinda like 100cm in my book? unless you have really thick soles on your shoes, that makes up for almost the same amount of inseam.
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, 83cm plus a 175mm crank is kinda like 100cm in my book? unless you have really thick soles on your shoes, that makes up for almost the same amount of inseam.
    You're ignoring the geometry of the ankle. Your heels would need to be centered over the pedal spindle for your inseam+crank length assumption to be valid. The ankle + foot length creates an offset, so that the resulting hypotenuse is longer than the inseam, about 9% longer, and that hypotenuse is the saddle-to-BB + crank length.

Hence the age old rules of thumb for pedal-to-seat-top = 109% of inseam, or BB-to-seat-top is .883 of inseam.

Use these numbers and you'll see that the riders above have 36"-ish inseams, which is fairly normal at 6'3" height.

mtbr member
    Ah, like that, but i run longer then normal cranks, does dat change the 109% rule?
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ah, like that, but i run longer then normal cranks, does dat change the 109% rule?
    Since the 109% rule is based on pedal-to-seat distance, it considers crank length directly. The rule would apply the same even if you had 165mm cranks on one bike and 180mm on another.
    The 0.883 rule, on the other hand, is based on BB-to-seat, so it assumes a "standard" crank length, and therefore would be adjusted if using notably longer/shorter cranks.

mtbr member
    huh? if i base my distance in my inseam, say 93cm, then my 109% is 101,37cm, correct? When i go from 175 to 185mm cranks, like i did, there is no consideration for that, is there? or am i confused now?
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    huh? if i base my distance in my inseam, say 93cm, then my 109% is 101,37cm, correct? When i go from 175 to 185mm cranks, like i did, there is no consideration for that, is there? or am i confused now?
    The 109 rule is based on the PEDAL-to-seat distance. PEDAL, not BB!!! So put the pedal at the bottom of its stroke, and measure to the top of the seat, along the axis of the seattube. That should be approx. 101cm as you computed. If you set the seat to 101cm with 175mm cranks, and then changed to 185, then that distance would now be 102cm, and you would need to lower your seat 1cm to maintain same pedal stroke.

mtbr member
    Got it!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9