A Tale of One Fishie: My Baby is no Longer Rumpsprung!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A Tale of One Fishie: My Baby is no Longer Rumpsprung!

Bought a 2013 Salsa Spearfish frame on closeout this past Feb.
    The 2014 SpearFishies incorporated DW link, so the 2013s were being dumped online for cheap, which is chum to us bottom feeders.

Anywho, got a build kit together from here and there, converted my American Classics to thru axle and off I went, except something was....very, very wrong. There was a big time clunking sensation that reverberated through the frame, like something was really loose. It seemed to come from the front of the bike, so checked the headset -- snug. Was it loose pivot bolts? There was an issue with pivot bolts coming loose (incorrect bolt length) for a few SF 2013 frames, so re-torqued those, and they weren't coming loose. Was it the fork? Fork was rebuilt at an LBS. The mechanic/suspension whisperer at the LBS indicated that the problem was likely a faulty damper in the (brand new) Fox Float CTD shock that came with the frame.

Contacted Fox, completed the Return Authorization (RA) form online, they emailed me a pre-paid shipping label the day the RA was requested, I packed it up and dropped it off at UPS and it was returned to me rebuilt for free (under warranty), all in under a week.

Yesterday, there was a little brown box on the front porch with the rebuilt shock, DH put it back on the bike and I zipped off for a quick evening ride at a close-by trail. It was a different bike, smooth like butter, sweet handling, fast, the crazy clunking sensation was gone. *Me so happy, but with a caveat, see below.

According to Fox's shipping invoice:
    Seal Kit: CTD (ClimbTrail Descend) Boost Valve and Dish Shock Rebuild
    Service Set: Boost Valve Assembly
    Kit: Rebuild, FLOAT Line Air Sleeve, Special Q-Ring

*Me not so happy: The frame was shipped with a faulty shock and it took a lot of time, headache and money to resolve the issue, because not purchased at LBS. However, LBS made $$ on fork rebuild so principle of karmic equivalency means I'm good there.

You might be thinking, Hey, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to know that it was the shock, but the problem seemed to reverberate through the bike from front to back, hence the fork rebuild and check of the headset, then pivot bolts. Just could not snap to the fact that the new frame was shipped with a faulty shock.
    Last edited by June Bug; 10-31-2014 at 04:53 PM.