Stormchaser thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stormchaser thread

Launched today - aluminum gravel bike with single speed build, $1500. Thru axles, carbon fork, flared handlebars, cable brakes. Comes with two cogs on a freehub, and optional dropout parts (and cable routing!) to mount a rear derailleur. Frame and fork, including thru axles, headset, optional RD dropout bits and hanger, $1100.

It's another new dropout, "Alternator Flat Mount"

https://salsacycles.com/culture/introducing_stormchaser
    https://salsacycles.com/bikes/stormc...r_single_speed

Looks like a choose-your-own-drivetrain more than a single speed to me.

Still 27.2 post and longish seat tube in spite of dropper routing, and 100mm front axle

mtbr member
    I was checking that out too. Looks kinda neat. I'm a wee bit disappointed the frame price is what it is. I know it is cheap components on the $1500 build, was hoping the frameset would come in closer to the $800 range. Oh well. It'll sell pretty good!
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Looks nice. If I had to replace my Surly Cross Check Iíd consider one of these for the chain tensioning capability, similar tire clearance, and compatibility with modern components. Ever since the Casseroll went away Salsa hasnít had a lightweight fixed/SS capable drop bar bike. Marrakesh and Fargo have V1 Alternators but are super heavy duty, Journeyman and Vaya have vertical QR dropouts, and the carbon frames Warbird, Warroad, and Cutthroat have regular non-moving thru axles.

I wonder if the new flat mount Alternator will be the standard going forward, given that gravel brakes are mostly flat mount now.

mtbr member
    I think it's a pretty cool frame.

If they did geared builds the highest Jo and lowest Warbird would have to go away. They did that with the Timberjack and Rangefinder and... ha, looks like Woodsmoke is gone for 2020. But Warbird isn't, so that gave them a ceiling.

The dropouts are clever but they don't look up to MTB duty. Four bikes have the V1 so they will likely stay around as long as they want to make versatile bikes. I'm sure they started out trying to make a flat mount adapter for the V1 and found out it wouldn't work.

mtbr member
    Still kind of obsessing about this bike since there isn't much else to do.

It seems like this is the aluminum middle bike for 2020. The bottom Tiagra carbon Warbird is selling out and the top Apex Journeyman is ... well, so far it's still in stock, but no updates for 2020 shown.

Why'd they go as far as they did but not further? Granted it's not the top of the lineup but it's the newest and cleverest. The wide tire clearance has pushed them to mountain bike cranks. The Race Face cranks are about half a cm less than anyone else's, but still 2cm wider than road cranks. But if they are going to do this anyway, why not make it Boost? Similarly why is the front still 100 and not 110, especially for the "rugged" model? The Fargo fork is 110. Why brag on your dropper routing when you have a 27.2 seat post and road bike seat tube length?

Why not sell it with dang gears?

mtbr member
    I like a lot about this bike. I could possibly see picking one up if it wasnít for the color!

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing these come out and about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk