Stan's Rimstrips on Salsa Delgado Rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Stan's Rimstrips on Salsa Delgado Rims

Hello Everyone,

So I've decided to race my Karate Monkey at the Sea Otter this year, and I'm most likely going to convert my wheelset (surly disc hubs laced to salsa delgado rims) to tubeless in order to enjoy the benefits of running a lower p.s.i. while aleviating myself of the worries of having to change a flat mid race.

I checked the Stan's website, and I know they offer 29er specific rimstrips, but I've heard say that it might work better if I just stretched 26" rimstrips onto my rims. Has anyone tried this, or does anyone have any opinion either way? Please let me know, as I'd like to order this stuff soon. Thanks in advance for any advice.

mtbr member
    Seems I read on the site that the Degatos are called out to work with the 29er Stans strips. I will look for a link.

Here it is:

http://www.notubes.com/product_info....8621c5a2323d4e

Recovering couch patato
    Low tire pressures with latex-tubless are a fable IMO. Expect to run a bit higher pressure than usual, while going faster with more grip and comfort than with tubes.
    Stan's original 29" strips work well with my Delgado's.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

www.badgercycles.com

They are working

for me. using a Stan's 29er rim strip with a Delgado and its been working fine for about 6-8 months. If you want to save some cash the diy method works fine also.

http://www.waltworks.com/dev/faq/gotubeless.pdf

I dont follow it to a letter. I just use the packing tape, then electrical tape, and finish off with the latex around the valve. I use a exacto knife (sp) to cut out the valve hole (you know the knife with removeable razor tips. The tips are shaped like a triangle. Pour the correct amount of Stans sealant in the tire after it is installed on the rim then hit it with co2. I then quickly finish up with a floor pump until the bead pops into place. I NEVER go above 45psi and I will not use a tire with an Arimid bead. IRC Notos - Mythos - Kenda Klaws - Ritchey Zed 700x42c - and Conti Vapor Wire bead are all set up tubeless in my garage so I know they work. As soon as I get the tire aired up I throw it on a bike and ride around the block a couple of times to get the Stans in every nook and cranny. You may have to add air for the first couple of rides but after two or three days of adding air and riding mine seam to seal up and will hold air for months. If I only could get a tire to last "months"! The wife and I have a total of 10 wheels set up tubeless and in use with no flats. The only downside I see is if you need to install a tube be ready to pick out all the thorns stuck in your tire.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick advice. I should've asked this initially, but I plan on doing the conversion with Motoraptor Comps. Has anyone heard anything about whether or not these tires will work well with Stan's system?

www.badgercycles.com

I havent tried them but

I heard they do not work. My understanding is that the only WTB's that work are wire bead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

A cheap solution

The following method works for my 29er as well as for my friends on the kiddie bikes:

1. put a SV 26" tube on your 29 rim (24" tube for a 26er).
    2. cut it along the outer perimeter and let your "new strip" roll over both sides of the rim
    3. mount the tire
    4. take out the valve core, fill with liquid latex, put the valve core back in (this is why I use SV but it is possible with PV too)
    5. Fill it up with air and then cut the overflow tube material with a carpet knife.

This is somewhat different than the Stan method since the bead does not rest directly
    on the rim but squeez the tube which helps in creating a nice seal. Even tires that are
    difficult to mount with Stan are easy once the tube is sandwiched between the tire and rim.

Good luck

Beer it does a body good!

Runnin 29" on degados

Been, running the stan's 29" rim strips on my delgados for about 8 months now works well using WTB motoraptors with wire bead. My only sugestion is to add a little more "rim rap" to help the tire to seat easier. The only problem I had was one WTB realy leaked a lot through the tread but it was not a new tire. I pumped up the tire to what I thought was about 50psi and pop, the bead came off and latex all over the garage. It did not make sense, checked my pump gauge the basterd was off, way off. I was almost up to 100 psi. So of couse the bead blew. Cleaned up the mess put on a new WTB Motoraptor tire no problems. Put the old tire on a back up rim with a tube. I only have one set of Stan's converted tires/rims but they are great. I run as low as 22 psi on some trails and 32psi on rocky stuff. With tube I need to run 35-45 psi to prevent pinch flats.
    Last edited by cronometro; 03-06-2005 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    I never met a cyclist, that I could not learn from!

Big G
    Winner of the Gnome Fest Quattro Home brew contest