Split Pivot Salsa Spearfish Cracked Chainstays- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Split Pivot Salsa Spearfish Cracked Chainstays

Anyone else have issues with this yet?

I was cleaning up my '14 SF2 and noticed a crack in the crosstube just behind the bottom bracket. Crack starts in the drive side weld and comes around the front of the crosstube. Difficult to see since it is so close to the BB. If I pinch the wheel end of the chainstays together I can see the crack opening.

Taking it back to my not so local LBS shop I got it from Sunday. Hopefully Salsa is speedy at fixing this. I was really hoping to get some good riding in over the holidays while I'm off...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Please keep me posted, I am thinking of buying one and would like to hear how Salsa is with warrentys and customer service these days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did you hear anything from Salsa yet? Thinking of buying one myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Salsa originally wanted to replace just the chainstay however they only had the painted black or anodized green. Orange (my stock color) was not available for a "few months" and they wouldn't give me a loaner chainstay so that I could keep riding until the orange came back in stock.

I told them I wasn't going to hobble together mix match different color parts like an old beater Pontiac Sunfire so they offered to send me an entire new frame in either black or ano green. I accepted the green but overall a bit bummed because I really loved the orange. As much as I hate to admit it the color was a very big factor in choosing the bike that I did. So now I've got orange accent parts on a green bike. A bit like a pumpkin but not too bad. Better than the other options I had.

Also I've learned that PF BB are an install once deal. I have a fair amount of play in my BB from it being removed from the original frame and being installed in another. I figure its not worth complaining about and waiting for another BB to come in and wait yet again. The bike has sat months total now between fork, shock, and frame issues. I just want to ride the thing. Its a great bike when it's working. Split Pivot, short chainstays, and front geometry make it a lot of fun.

Just hit it with speed
    Did it happen to look like this?

(please say no, please say no.....)

Split Pivot Salsa Spearfish Cracked Chainstays-20161201_225825.jpg
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I could say no, but I'd be lying....

Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001 View Post
    Did it happen to look like this?

(please say no, please say no.....)

Just hit it with speed
    I don't get any spreading or widening when i gentle squeeze the drop outs, but it looks a bit suspicious. I'm out of warranty coverage and hope I don't get hosed, plus slapping on a new drop out seems like it'll only give another 1.5K miles and delay the inevitable.

Looks like a hard place to even attempt a weld fix, but I might ask around on getting that done, I could care less how it looks.

I've unfortunately fallen in love with this bike and the ride.........
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The latest one that I got (I cracked two of them) was slightly different. Vent holes were in the side plates instead of two in the crosstube. I didn't end up breaking the last one but I didn't ride it much after that and sold the bike to get a Fuel EX.

In my experience on other bikes, if you weld a cracked chainstay, it'll just crack again in another spot (likely right beside the weld due to being a stress concentrated spot). YMMV.

It is a great bike for sure. I miss how efficient it pedaled.