Spearfish shock: torque settings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Spearfish shock: torque settings

I had to send my Spearfish shock back to Fox under warranty. Anyone know the torque settings when reinstalling bolts?
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Hopefully Salsa has upped there game on this subject. When I asked them about my El Kaboing they told me they didn't have a specification and to just snug em down.

mtbr member
    Well, there ya go! Thanks for responding. Will do, with a bit o' Locktite.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Rode Saturday and the lower pivot bolts were loose, loose enough to possibly have damaged the bearings. Talked to the folks I bought this frame from on line. The frame is still under warranty and the frame was registered with Salsa when dealing with the faulty shock issue (bad damper). Contrary to my earlier discussions with the on-line store, they told me I could take it to a local Salsa dealer and have it sorted out under warranty. I had all the paperwork (receipt showing I'd purchased the frame and the shock warranty paperwork from Fox) and a little blurb on the pivot bolt length issue*. The LBS Salsa dealer was quite amenable to dealing with it as a Salsa warranty issue. They'll replace all the pivot bolts, the bushings on the lower pivot (if needed) and re tighten everything to spec, including the bolts for the shock.

I kinda feel like the nightmare is over for dealing with this frame. The pivot bolts will be replaced because some of the 2013 frames were shipped with pivot bolts that were a mm too long, and thus weren't able to seat properly. I don't know if this applies to my frame, but to be sure, the pivot bolts will be replaced. Had I known any Salsa dealer could address warranty issues, it would have saved a lot of headaches early on.

However, all's well that ends well at this point. There will be a little longer turn around time on the warranty issue, because Christmas, but hoping for a return some time between Christmas and New Years. If not, the hardtail will be pressed into service in the interim. That's why the correct number of bikes is always N + 1.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Got the bike back from warranty service. All pivot bearing bolts were replaced -- whether or not the bike came with the correct length bolts, they are the correct length now. Bottom pivot bearings were replaced.
    Have finally gotten in some trail miles and it is such a joy to ride.
    Jon Stewart