Spearfish questions, are they susceptible to cracking???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Spearfish questions, are they susceptible to cracking???

Normally I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to Internet yapping and personal opinions but in the past few weeks I've now had several independent sources give me info on my newly purchased first "good" FS bike, a demo 2015 XL Salsa Spearfish Carbon 1 and am starting to wonder if I made a poor choice. As a big guy (6'3", 240lbs) even more concerned because it's carbon.

When I bought the bike I had two Treks: a 2014 Superfly 9 HT aluminum custom build and a 2011 Trek Hifi Deluxe and I liked certain things about each of them. What I wanted was a bike for XC, something that handled very responsively, like a "race" machine (Superfly) but took the edge off the bumps and kept solid traction (HiFi) and after a bunch of research I test rode a SF and found exactly that. I come from a motorcycle background and how something steers and transitions is very important to me.

What I've heard from three sources is the SF frames are prone to cracking and failing. Like "we don't carry Salsa anymore, they fail so often" issues. Now the interesting thing is I rode it a few weeks before winter, nothing huge or any big drops and my frame did develop a crack in the carbon where the shock mounts. My dealer said it wasn't typical but not the first time they heard of it and it would be warrantied. Salsa as well was great, I had a new front triangle in two days and the LBS rebuilt the bike with all new bearings within a week at no cost to me but after hearing about cracks and experiencing it, well......I know the old non Split-Pivots had some cracking issues but I've not seen anything about the "newer" ones.

Secondly another dealer who I bought a new Fat Bike from was generally discussing bikes with me said how poorly the Salsa stuff was designed and how they handled pretty slow and crappy. Now my experience was different, I told him that and he said it was because it was an XL and anything would feel responsive to me due to geometry. Again, I'd normally ignore it but one of the dealers who also mentioned the cracking said the same thing. I know my XL HiFi didn't handle responsive and I absolutely love the ride on the SF so there's something there, I think.

What at am I missing here? I've generally heard and read really nothing bad about Salsa from most sources but see them constantly referred to as a "budget" brand on here. Like I said, I am not regretting my decision but I want to know going in what I am up against and at this point I know of a really nice Superfly FS I can get if I sell my Spearfish because I'm going to have frame issues. To me the money I spent was a lot, and I don't plan on dropping that kind of cash for a while now. I want to get a fairly "long term" bije out of this.

Thoughts? My dealer (of course) assure me my weight is NOT an issue with the carbon and I have nothing to worry about. But I'm wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or experiences. Should I have bought an aluminum? Maybe a Horsethief instead?
    Last edited by miweber929; 11-30-2015 at 06:03 AM.

mtbr member
    A while back QBP did some tightening up of who could be a Salsa dealer, that may be why there is such negativity?

The previous, non split-pivot iteration of the SF did crack at the chainstay on my Dad twice. Salsa stepped up and warrantied it with a new split-pivot version and he paid to upgrade to carbon. He loved the previous version and loves the new one even more. He weighs over 200, rides an XL, and has over a year on the new bike without problems.

I have a Horsethief so I am of course biased...

mtbr member
    I've been riding and racing the heck out of my 2014 Spearfish for the last 2 seasons with zero issues. It's my all time favorite bike.
    CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    OK, thanks guys, that helps a bit.

since 4/10/2009
    I'm on a Bucksaw and feel like Salsa hit it out of the park with this bike. I love the geometry of the bike. It handles best in downhill situations. But it has a much slacker head tube angle than the Spearfish. The 'fish should handle more quickly at slow speeds than the 'saw.

I dunno why you're hearing Salsa referred to as a budget bike. Because they aren't. You pay a bit more for what you get as compared to the higher volume brands like Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'm on a Bucksaw and feel like Salsa hit it out of the park with this bike. I love the geometry of the bike. It handles best in downhill situations. But it has a much slacker head tube angle than the Spearfish. The 'fish should handle more quickly at slow speeds than the 'saw.

I dunno why you're hearing Salsa referred to as a budget bike. Because they aren't. You pay a bit more for what you get as compared to the higher volume brands like Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.
    Again, thanks for the info!!

I've been surprised to read that Salsa was a "budget" bike both on here and a couple other forums because I've not known them to be either. I wasn't sure if I heard wrong or if I was missing something but something didn't seem right which is why I asked. Honestly I'd have been half as concerned if I hadn't experienced a cracked frame myself but I think things like that are bound to happen. As long as they honor their five year warranty and it doesn't kill me in the process I'm fine

I love the bike and haven't regretted my decision. The however is when you hear something from multiple, unrelated sources it gets you thinking a bit.

mtbr member
    I'm your height and maybe 10 pounds heavier right now. I broke my 2011 Spearfish (single pivot) at the same spot on the non-drive side chainstay as more than a few others did. I had like 3 weeks left on my 3 year warranty and Salsa said "no problem" and offered me a new split pivot frame or a discount on a 2014 leftover Horsethief 1 my LBS had in stock. I took that option as I wanted a little more travel anyway and had been eyeballing HT's. Also my old wheelset and fork wouldn't have worked on the newer frame anyway.

They were great to work with and while I did end up spending some money, I was looking to upgrade anyways and I re-used almost all my old SF parts on a hardtail frame I had laying around. So it was kind of win/win in my case.

I'm on the spearfish group on facebook and don't remember seeing any reports of split pivot versions breaking (256 members). However, in the last week I've seen three split pivot horsethiefs get posted with cracks on the chainstay bridge on the Horsethief page. All in the same spot. All were were aluminum I believe. One guy had to warranty a carbon frame a while back, but it cracked on the main triangle by the BB apparently. There are currently 82 members on the HT page for reference.

I'll be checking my frame tonight! But a few broken frames doesn't scare me off for the most part as it seems Salsa is very quick to step up and make it right in those cases.

since 4/10/2009
    Every manufacturer gets broken frames. I don't put too much stock in occasional reports. I start getting concerned when reports start coming out of the woodwork.

There are a couple reports of Bucksaws breaking. So far, the common spot seems to be the middle of the carbon seatstays. So far, it seems like those cases have been from people doing more on the bikes than they were designed to handle. I've put almost 1,000mi on mine, and quite a number of those miles have been on some incredibly chunky trails. What I'm doing to mine isn't causing any problems. But then again, I do pay attention to intended use recommendations. I think it's pretty clear that quite a few people don't.

And, for that matter, all bets are off in a crash. One thing I don't do often is crash. And when I do crash, it tends to be pretty mild.