Spearfish/El Mariachi fit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Spearfish/El Mariachi fit

Really looking hard at getting an El Mariachi but the LBS doesn't have any (can order) but they do have a few Spearfish. How is the comparison in medium vs large between the two models. I am 5'11" and according to the charts Salsa has, I am at the low end for a large and tall end for a medium. thanks- brianW

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    IIRC...the top tube on the El Mar is 23.62" in medium and the large is just under 24.5". I think the measurements on the SF are the same (really close). I'm 5' 11" and I ride an 18" EM. That 20" was long. I wouldn't pay much attention to that fit guide. What's your old top tube measure?

mtbr member
    It really depends on your body geometry. If you have a longer torso or arms you may like a Large. Longer legs you may like the medium. It also depends on what you're used to. Take some measurements from your current bike and see how they compare to the Salsa sizes.

Bicycle Addict
    I am 5'10 and usually ride a medium, but when I bought my Spearfish I got a large (20") and it fit surprisingly well. Keep in mind that it came with a 110mm stem, so if need be you could get a shorter stem. Best thing to do is heed the advice from previous post and take measurements or try one on. Good luck!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've got a medium (18) El Mar and have ridden a Spearfish in the same size which felt much more cramped. Even though the geometry appears the same it feels a lot shorter for some reason. Weird.

SS Pusher Man
    If you pln on running SS, you may prefer the longer cockpit.....giving you a little more room. When you stand up.....which is most of the time on a SS.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    I would go with a medium on both, dude. I am 5'9.5" with longer legs and arms and can fit on a L frame, but I always go with the medium. It is easier to make the frame fit if you are on the top end of its size, than if you are on the bottem end of it. Yeah, noticed that the M spearfish felt a little crunched, but not in a bad way. I just threw a 110 stem on it and the fit is perfect for me. I agree with Rfever, the fit chart, I wouldn't buy into it that much. We all have different bodies. For instance, my girl is only 5'2" and is riding a 2011 El Mar S (16"). It fits her well too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I''m 72" on a 20" SF, with a relatively short stem, and it feels great. I test rode an 18" and it felt too small.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm 6', and just spent 4 days riding the Spearfish in 18" and 20" back to back, in SF 1 and SF 2.

Reviews here.

I have a 32-33" inseam. Fit wasn't an issue on either bike. Let me put it to you this way...

I started on the 20", and it felt perfect. My 'regular' bike is a 17.5" Rumblefish...and the 20" Spearfish felt great.

I then switched to the 18" Spearfish...and the biggest problem I had was a different feel in climbing. It felt like it wanted to unweight the front end more than the 20". After riding it for a couple hours, I got the hang of the different frame size--it made more of a difference than I thought it would. I rode the 18" for 2 days.

I then switched back to the 20" for the last day. No problems with the transition or the sizing.

My takeaway was that for me, even though it took adjustment, I'd get the 18". I'm more comfortable on a smaller frame, and it felt more nimble to me. Part of the comparison wasn't entirely fair, as one of the 20s I rode was a Spearfish 1, and the 18 was a Spearfish 2.

If you're 5'11, you can fit comfortably on either size--and you're right on the threshold. You won't have a problem with stand over on either...it's just a question of whether you'd like the bike to be a bit bigger or a bit smaller. I tend to go on the smaller side.

Members who have read this thread: 0