Spearfish for a clyde?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Spearfish for a clyde?

Looking for a f/s 29er to add to the fleet and the Spearfish has made the short list. Any 200+# riders out there who can give some feedback? I ride mostly rooty rough trails of south and central TX, some drops a few small doubles. I pride myself on being a smooth, technical, 225# rider. Your thoughts please!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm 275, and my chief complaint is the pf30 bb standard. It's pretty creaky with with the parlee adapters for my Shimano cranks. I'm also having trouble with my 44 micro ti fork, but you'll probably not have one of those. Pretty good bang for the buck, but I'm wondering if I should have given the horsethief a ride.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    I'm 275, and my chief complaint is the pf30 bb standard. It's pretty creaky with with the parlee adapters for my Shimano cranks.
    I just bought on of these for my upcoming Spearfish build:

Praxis Works | Conversion Kit

It screws together. No adapters needed. My initial impression is good, but I'll know more after I put the bike together next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I just bought on of these for my upcoming Spearfish build:

Praxis Works | Conversion Kit

It screws together. No adapters needed. My initial impression is good, but I'll know more after I put the bike together next week.
    Seems a bit pricey, hopefully they do the trick for you.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I use the Enduro ceramic PFBB30 - got it from Universal Cycles. Yes it's expensive, but I've got smooth, well sealed, creak-free cranks - I went with XTs because they are available in 180mm arm length.

I weight ~180lb, so not a Clyde, but the frame is very structurally sound and responds great structurally and well with traction when climbing slow rooty / rocky trails. I do wish for more grip in the back on ultra steep climbs as I have to keep my weight back a bit unnaturally or will spin out. But this is same as on Mamasita. On descents it's just insane how this bike takes abuse. I've come upon serious pucker sections, force myself to relax and point where I want to end up and the suspension just soaks everything up. On highly loaded corners the frame is predictable and stiff and the rear tracks perfectly while soaking up bumps very well.
    M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    I use the Enduro ceramic PFBB30 - got it from Universal Cycles. Yes it's expensive, but I've got smooth, well sealed, creak-free cranks - I went with XTs because they are available in 180mm arm length.

I weight ~180lb, so not a Clyde, but the frame is very structurally sound and responds great structurally and well with traction when climbing slow rooty / rocky trails. I do wish for more grip in the back on ultra steep climbs as I have to keep my weight back a bit unnaturally or will spin out. But this is same as on Mamasita. On descents it's just insane how this bike takes abuse. I've come upon serious pucker sections, force myself to relax and point where I want to end up and the suspension just soaks everything up. On highly loaded corners the frame is predictable and stiff and the rear tracks perfectly while soaking up bumps very well.
    Great feedback, these are the answers to the questions I didn't ask... but wanted the answers to! Now I need to find one in stock to demo! Houston isn't exactly a Mountain bike mecca...

Anyone run the new 142mm rear?

Thanks again!

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    Mine is a 1 - 142mm rear and I like the system but can't comment on stiffness vs. 135mm. The reason I went with the 1 was mostly the shock and ano finish - very happy with my choice, but a custom build is more expensive than off the rack. Also I've got these lightbikes carbon rims which are really, really nice - probably equivalent to Roval SL wheels - very stiff and very light.

Some other thoughts:
    I'm 6'4" and frankly the XL frame is too small. I just fit with 130mm stem.
    I really like this bike. It's the best bike I've ever had - even a little bit better, but certainly different beast, than my Yeti ASR-SL. But what makes it so good is 1) the wheels, 2) the fork (Fox F29), 3) the frame, 4) new drivetrain, 5) new brakes. Just want to clarify that when I rave about my Spearfish, it's not only due to the frame. I do recommend the frame and would buy it again. But it's not perfect - biggest "disappointment" is I'm only getting 1/2 - 3/4 of hoped for improvement in ability to climb steep rocky rooty trails vs. my Mamasita - and that was biggest reason for an FS. But this could improve when I convert rear tire tubeless and/or get a better rear tire. I would also really consider a Ti hardtail.
    M

mtbr member
    Ti hard tail is my first choice! However, my buddy Daryl owns FORM cycles and I can't afford one of his bikes at the moment... It would be very uncool to show up on a Motobecane or similar bargain ti bike. So... Totally different bike design = No harm no foul!

I will have a FORM some day!
    Last edited by CYCLEJCE; 07-31-2012 at 07:04 AM. Reason: incomplete

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I originally considered carbon fiber hardtails, but had no luck finding a good frame in my size for reasonable price.

One more thought:
    The spearfish is very buttoned down - difficult to manual and generally does not like to play on off-piste stuff. One airborne it does fly nicely and lands smooth and predictable.
    M

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I live in Austin and found the bottom bracket to be too low for the trails in the area. I had to be very careful to time my pedal strokes when going up ledges and the like. I was running the stock Monarch R and that may have had something to do with it.

I really like the way the Spearfish handled smoother, flowy single track. It was extremely stable and predictable. It was also extremely well built and took beating after beating without complaint.

In the end, I ended up taking all the components off my Spearfish and moving them to a Jet9. The Jet's bottom bracket is over an inch higher and really makes a difference. The suspension also seems to bob less while pedaling hard. It has an RP23 shock but I run it without propedal.

I weigh 240 with gear. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Bought a cross bike earlier in the week. The Specialized Crux Apex Disc. Thanks for your replies!

mtbr member
    OK, back on the Spearfish trail! I found a NOS 2011 in my size a one of the local shops, any thoughts on what it's actually worth? I was suprised by the quote I was given over the phone.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    OK, back on the Spearfish trail! I found a NOS 2011 in my size a one of the local shops, any thoughts on what it's actually worth? I was suprised by the quote I was given over the phone.

Thanks!
    What did they quote?

mtbr member
    $2499...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    IMO that'd have to be a non-stock build, with some very nice parts.

Bikeman.com has frame only for $750 in some sizes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    $2499...
    Insane for a stock build. I'd go $1800 tops for two year old design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    Insane for a stock build. I'd go $1800 tops for two year old design.
    Agreed! Tops! I have to assume I spoke to someone other than the owner/manager. Why in the world would you price a 2 year old bike at retail?

The Lazy side of me was interested because I wouldn't have to convert my Havens to 15mm... And could throw the stock SF wheels on my MCR with out issue...

Members who have read this thread: 0