Spearfish 1 Buildup...any last words?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Spearfish 1 Buildup...any last words?

Just about to start a Spearfish 1 build...going with a complete, with a number of deviations from the stock build. Before it gets built up, I'm wondering if the Spearfishers out there can provide any suggestions on changes to make in the build from the get-go. I put in quite a bit of saddle time on SF1 and SF2s, but I'm open to suggestions...things like: "go with a 180mm front brake rotor", etc.

Any takers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've had mine a half season now, and have put it thru several changes.
    I extended the fork to 120mm(on 2011's you can do this, not on 12's). Big difference, not in just being plusher, but slacking out the head angle a bit for rollers, and steep downs.

Converted to 1x9. Saved almost a lb. I will say here in New England I could benefit from a smaller front ring, now its a 32, with an 11-36 rear. I find myself always in the bigger cogs.

Swapped the 2.1 tires for a 2.3 front and 2.2 rear, this also made it more confidence inspiring on the steeper stuff. It depends what terrain you ride.

I'm really liking the bike. I am in the process of looking for a longer travel bike, but for now this bike handles whatever I throw at it.

Tom

Members who have read this thread: 0