Smaller of 2 Vaya Frames Should I be concerned?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2020

Smaller of 2 Vaya Frames Should I be concerned?

Hey all,

Looking at investing in a 55cm 2018 Vaya Tiagra. I've test ridden the rig and it feels pretty good stock, but am coming from an oversized flat bar commuter so hard for me to tell.

I am between sizes for the vaya frame (5 9.5, 31.5 inseam, longer than average wingspan) and the 55cm is the smaller of the 2 options, so figure I'll go up to a 90mm stem from the stock 80mm, and then potentially put some spacers in to put the handlebars slightly higher (fork has yet to be cut).

Does this seem like a pretty reasonable plan? I am concerned that it is too small based on what i've been reading and my less than absolute trust in the shop, but given i'm in the range and it feels good I'm thinking I'll go for it.

Also would love to hear from any other tiagra build experiences with the Vaya.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Going to post in a more pertinent forum. Sorry for the confusion!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yeah 55 sounds small for your height, I would be surprised if that was truly the better size for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am a tad over 5'9" and just bought a 55cm Vaya. I owned an orange one about 5 years ago and it fit great. According to the Salsa website, 55cm is our size. I've purchased 6 Salsas and gone by their size chart, and it has never let me down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Have decided to go the 2020 model route so now can go either 55cm or 57cm, but unfortunately don't have the opportunity to try these out.

The 55cm did seem small when riding, so i guess want to see if people think that 57cm is for sure too big for someone who is 5 9.5, 31.5 inseam, and has a longer than average wingspan. I'll be getting it shipped, but suppose i could buy and then return if i don't like the ride.