Skewers: Hope/Salsa/Shimano?- Mtbr.com
    L1MEY

Skewers: Hope/Salsa/Shimano?

I originally bumped a thread in General to ask this question, but it got kinda buried under everything else, so I thought I'd repost it here for some consideration:

I'm fed up of having to spend forever trying to get the tension on my QRs right so my disc brakes don't rub every time I take a wheel off and put it back on. I figured I'd solve the problem by getting a new set of skewers and some Quick Nuts so I always tighten them to the same tension.

I heard that the Shimano internal cam QRs were much stronger, but the only ones I've been able to find online to buy have been the XTRs, and while I'd drop $35 on a set of Hopes or Salsas, there's no way I'm spending $70 for a set of XTRs.

Does anyone know where I could pick up a set of Shimano QRs (maybe XT or LX) for about the same price as Hopes or Salsas? Also, are they really that much better?

Thanks,

- Jen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig
    I originally bumped a thread in General to ask this question, but it got kinda buried under everything else, so I thought I'd repost it here for some consideration:

I'm fed up of having to spend forever trying to get the tension on my QRs right so my disc brakes don't rub every time I take a wheel off and put it back on. I figured I'd solve the problem by getting a new set of skewers and some Quick Nuts so I always tighten them to the same tension.

I heard that the Shimano internal cam QRs were much stronger, but the only ones I've been able to find online to buy have been the XTRs, and while I'd drop $35 on a set of Hopes or Salsas, there's no way I'm spending $70 for a set of XTRs.

Does anyone know where I could pick up a set of Shimano QRs (maybe XT or LX) for about the same price as Hopes or Salsas? Also, are they really that much better?

Thanks,

- Jen.
    100% go with internal cammed QR's, especially with disk's. They are that much better. Period. FSA makes some SWEET IC QR's (Scatto I think is the name) that I've been running for a while. Cost about $42 - and are really nice. Not he lightest in the world - but nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member

What makes internal cams stronger?

I'm about to drop lots of coin on all new bike, so I'm curious as I haven't looked into skewers at all. Does different lever tentions really cause rubbing? If I can avoid this i definitely would like to. Also, what is it in internal skewering that makes them stronger?

Thanks,
    Kennon

LA CHÈVRE
    Does anybody knows if the Mavic skewers that ship with Crossmax SL wheels have an internal cam? Looks a bit like those FSA...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Jan 2004

Also might consider a bolt-on skewer...

You may also wish to consider using a bolt-on skewer. It's going to be a little less convenient to install and remove, but it enables you to dial the tension in exactly without going through the trial-and-error routine of opening and closing the lever.

LA CHÈVRE
    I just ordered a Quick Nut too for my Crossmax SL rear wheel (front is a Lefty hub so...) to solve the rotor drag issue and as the hub bearing preload is affected by the pressure the skewer puts much more than most hubs on the Mavic... I think you should be fine with the Quick Nuts, no need to get new skewers IMO... at least try it before you fork over the money for expensive skewers.

Aug 2004
    I would just go with the Hopes. I chose them because they do not have plastic cam bearing surfaces, they appear to be bronze. Whatever they are, they are definately all metal.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider
    I would just go with the Hopes. I chose them because they do not have plastic cam bearing surfaces, they appear to be bronze. Whatever they are, they are definately all metal.
    They are made of brass if I recall. Quality skewers yes, maybe stiffer than other skewers too but I don't think they will solve the problem of inconsistant pressure.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I just ordered a Quick Nut too for my Crossmax SL rear wheel (front is a Lefty hub so...) to solve the rotor drag issue and as the hub bearing preload is affected by the pressure the skewer puts much more than most hubs on the Mavic... I think you should be fine with the Quick Nuts, no need to get new skewers IMO... at least try it before you fork over the money for expensive skewers.
    I'm a quick nut convert....Used to use the bolt-ons, but since getting quick nuts I haven't used them. Cheap and very effective.

L1MEY
    I looked up the FSA Scatto skewers, but came across this, which was fairly worrying:

http://fsnews.findlaw.com/cpsc/recal...sep/04227.html

mtbr member
    I looked up the FSA Scatto skewers, but came across this, which was fairly worrying:

http://fsnews.findlaw.com/cpsc/recal...sep/04227.html
    Yep - there was a batch that were bad, so they recalled 'em and replaced 'em. No problemo!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcavtca
    I'm about to drop lots of coin on all new bike, so I'm curious as I haven't looked into skewers at all. Does different lever tentions really cause rubbing? If I can avoid this i definitely would like to. Also, what is it in internal skewering that makes them stronger?

Thanks,
    Kennon
    Check ot this article:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

FWIW, it's more an issue of clamping strength than disk alignment - for really fussy disk calipers that do not retract into the pistons very far, or for good ones that normally do but are in need of service - there may be the need for tweaking the caliper aligment after removing/installing the wheel(s). Less of an issue with strong, consistent, internal cammed QR's, but can happen anyways. Again, they're just far stronger, making a fork or fs frame that much stiffer! Good, no?

Harrumph
    As someone who has tasted quite a variety of skewers, Shimano is where it's at. You can find them for much less than full retail if you look around, but they are worth retail IMO anyway. XTR are the only ones that are super pricey anyway, and only a few grams lighter (but definitely pretty). As previously mentioned, internally cammed is by far the best. And I'd stay with steel, it's not worth the few grams.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Fo' Bidniz in da haus

Thanks,

- Jen.
    I personally love Hopes...they have been the best I have tried (had Salsa, XTR, and others). Plus, I like the colors which of course is irrelevant.

cheers

ccm
    aka Taprider
    Rocky Mtn Element Scandium 2004 or 2005?

L1MEY
    In case anyone is interested, here's what I'm doing on this.

I didn't really want to spend too much, and I couldn't find any Shimano skewers other than XTR for sale online. The FSA skewers were tempting, but a little pricey (I couldn't justify dropping $42 + shipping on them when my hubby needs a new front derailleur). Since my SS has Deore skewers I figured I'd transfer those to my FS, and order a set of bolt-ons for the SS. The Deore skewers paired with Quick Nuts should do the job nicely, although they're obviously not as pretty as the FSAs, which are by far the nicest looking internal-cam QRs I've seen. If they made them in red I probably woulda bought them

- Jen.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by ccm
    Rocky Mtn Element Scandium 2004 or 2005?
    Actually, frame was a 2003 and all parts were either 2004 or 2005. Like a fool, I sold it after only about 6 rides....completely custom build at 23.5 pounds