Skewers Hope or Salsa..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Skewers Hope or Salsa..

Snapped a skewer today.. and was wondering what the consesus is.. seems like the hopes are tuff to to find.. what do you guys think are the better choice

mtbr member

I have both...

I have had Salsas on my Titus Switchblade for 3 years. They work fine, but I never really loved them. The plastic washer underneath the cam is almost completely worn through.

I just put Hopes on my Turner 5 Spot. So far, I like them better. They're more solid and the cam action works better. Time will tell...

My vote is hope. They look great on my black Hadley wheelset.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ayce
    Snapped a skewer today.. and was wondering what the consesus is.. seems like the hopes are tuff to to find.. what do you guys think are the better choice

We want... a shrubbery!
    I was going to buy the Hope skewers with my last set of wheels; I had did a lot of looking around and they seemed to be pretty awesome. However, the Salsa's were on sale when I bought my wheels so I figured I'd make it easier and just get 'em there. Both are good in my opinion--with the Hope being just a tad bit better. Just go where you find a good deal. Or if you're not financailly constrained--just jump for the Hopes.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing
    I was going to buy the Hope skewers with my last set of wheels; I had did a lot of looking around and they seemed to be pretty awesome. However, the Salsa's were on sale when I bought my wheels so I figured I'd make it easier and just get 'em there. Both are good in my opinion--with the Hope being just a tad bit better. Just go where you find a good deal. Or if you're not financailly constrained--just jump for the Hopes.
    Thanks guys,
    I ordered the hopes, the salsa & hopes were the same price - the only thing is that there was no black or red - so I opted for the silver which should look fine

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks guys,
    I ordered the hopes, the salsa & hopes were the same price - the only thing is that there was no black or red - so I opted for the silver which should look fine

I'm a little late but I have a like new pair of Salsa's I could have sold you for cheap. They are anodized blue though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by redrock_z71
    I'm a little late but I have a like new pair of Salsa's I could have sold you for cheap. They are anodized blue though.

Thanks... I was looking at either the red, or black - the silver is neutral & pretty much goes with everything - plus thats all they had - the bike is red & black - so the blue would not have been the first choice - thanks for the offer though

mtbr member
    Seems like you already chose - but FWIW, internal cam QR's are way stronger than the internal type - search around, info. is easy to find, including Sheldon Browns website.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Nice choice on the hope!

I think you will be happy with the silver
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slowpoke

Good job!

Thanks guys,
    I think you're gonna like em. I have both Hope and Salsa QR seatpost clamps and while both are really well made I like the Hope better. Nothin against Salsa but the brass bushing thing on the Hope one is smooooth (no lube!) and overall really well made and thought out.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    2nd, I use internal cam types only, currently Shimano & old style American Classic (new AC are external cam).

L1MEY
    I didn't want to start a new thread on the same subject, so forgive me for bumping this one up...

I'm fed up of having to spend forever trying to get the tension on my QRs right so my disc brakes don't rub every time I take a wheel off and put it back on. I figured I'd solve the problem by getting a new set of skewers and some Quick Nuts so I always tighten them to the same tension.

I heard that the Shimano internal cam QRs were much stronger, but the only ones I've been able to find online to buy have been the XTRs, and while I'd drop $35 on a set of Hopes or Salsas, there's no way I'm spending $70 for a set of XTRs.

Does anyone know where I could pick up a set of Shimano QRs (maybe XT or LX) for about the same price as Hopes or Salsas? Also, are they really that much better?

Thanks,

- Jen.

Luddite technophile
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    2nd, I use internal cam types only, currently Shimano & old style American Classic (new AC are external cam).
    Shimano (and Campy) make awesome QR skewers. However, if you run the skewers in reverse, to keep the levers away from the disks, it is often difficult to make them work well with many forks. That's why I switched to Salsa and Hope.

I use them on the reverse side of the fork with Marzocchi & Fox forks. Which forks won't allow that?

I've bought Deore level skewers from my LBS, I'd think that any dealer with a QBP catalog can get them.

I've never used Hope or Salsa, but have had bad luck with skewers that use the external cam style coming loose.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Salsas are classic

I would have gone with the salsas they are classic!

Luddite technophile
    Rock Shox are difficult - especially Sid. You can use the Shimano skewers, but it requires having the lever facing down. This is also true on my Marathon SL, though to a much lesser degree. I don't like having the skewer facing down. Partly aesthetics, partly because you may increase the chance of an accidental release.