Sizing the Dos Niner- Mtbr.com

Jul 2005

Sizing the Dos Niner

I'm looking for a FS bike for XC racing and 24hour events. 5'9", 175 lbs. Always been a hard-tail man but I got too beat up this year in Spokane at the 24 nationals.

So, I'm ready to take the 29 plunge. This weekend I rode 4 hours on choppy north Idaho single track with drops and logs and scree and all sorts of fun stuff. I was on my trusty old 26er HT while my buddy was riding a Sugar 292. We swapped bikes for all of 15 minutes and I am now thoroughly convinced about 29ers.

That said, I have a liking for the Salsa Dos Niner. How do they size? Back in the dark days when I was looking for FS 26ers I demoed a Trek Fuel and the large (19.5") fit me better than the 17.5" medium. My HT is a medium and nothing size L ever seems to fit, but the size L Fuel98 sure felt right.

Any comments?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member

Go by TT length

and you should be fine.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by koradog1
    I'm looking for a FS bike for XC racing and 24hour events. 5'9", 175 lbs. That said, I have a liking for the Salsa Dos Niner. How do they size?
    Thanks in advance!
    I'm 5'10", 165lbs, 31" length Levis, and ride an 18" Dos Niner, which I think is the Medium. I'd prefer a slightly longer TT, it's 23.5" IIRC, but with a 120mm stem it's fine. Standover is tight though, so I definitely would not want to ride the Large.

17.5" pistons of love
    Jun 2005
    Not so sure about the dos, but I had a jaun solo and the tt was very short for st length. The dos niners I've seen have a road bike look to them (kind of cool). If you have long legs and a short torso it's right on (or if you you want to run drop bars). I'd say sizing is kind of old school and that is what Salsa was founded on so it makes sense.
    The Domesticated SSer

mtbr member

A few comments on sizing

Sizing the Dos.

Take your bike your currently riding and are comfortable with and measure the effective (level) top tube. Use this measurement as a starting point and then look at the standover measurements. My guess is you could ride either the 16" or the 18" depending on your preference for TT lengths.

I'm 5'11" with short legs & a long torso and prefer the 18". I've ridden the 16" as well. I like the 16" for the extra standover and the overall shorter feeling when I'm doing really technical riding and tight single track. I prefer the 18" for everything else as it stretches me out just a bit more.

A few notes on the Dos, juan solo, and our sizing: The overall seat tube measurement are identical on both the 16" and the 18" Dos Niner due to the fitting requirements of the rear shock and the travel. The bikes differ in TT measurements, standover height and tubing specs. The 18" is actually lighter because the 16" uses a seat tube reinforcement.

Regarding the fellow that commented on the Juan. We actually lengthened the TT this year on the Scandium/Carbon juan. Not much, but just a bit. The only mtn bike we didn't lengthen the TT in 2005 was the original steel Ala Carte.

Generally, Salsa geometry is very old school. We are in our 24th year! That said, we are constantly tweaking our geometry and it seams like we are slowly lengthening our TT's.

Jason

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

thanks

Hats off to Salsa cycles for the quick and competent reponse. If I didn't have a bad back and a perceived need for a 3" rear travel, I'd be all over a Dos Niner myself. Looks like a sweet ride at a great price.

17.5" pistons of love
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles
    Sizing the Dos.

Regarding the fellow that commented on the Juan. We actually lengthened the TT this year on the Scandium/Carbon juan. Not much, but just a bit. The only mtn bike we didn't lengthen the TT in 2005 was the original steel Ala Carte.

Generally, Salsa geometry is very old school. We are in our 24th year! That said, we are constantly tweaking our geometry and it seams like we are slowly lengthening our TT's.

Jason
    Cool! That was me. Not complaining about the geometry just spreading my minimal knowledge. I had the 2005 Jaun Solo and I knew better when I ordered it that the fit wasn't for me, so shame on me, it just looked so cool. I didn't have complaint one about the frame other than size. Clean, light, stiff yet comfy, and best of all readily available.
    The Domesticated SSer

mtbr member

Heavy G - thanks and keep riding

Quote Originally Posted by heavyg
    Hats off to Salsa cycles for the quick and competent reponse. If I didn't have a bad back and a perceived need for a 3" rear travel, I'd be all over a Dos Niner myself. Looks like a sweet ride at a great price.
    Heavy G, thanks for the kind words. This board can sometimes be tough on mfg's, Salsa included...but it is important and we take it seriously.

I just want to say keep riding and good luck with your back. I hurt my back several years ago while training for Leadville and I still have some recurring issues. I wish we had a longer travel suspension 29er to offer you as I think it is clear from this forum that your not alone in your desire for travel (and I want one too).

Jason

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

New question here.

The Dos Niner provides a real smooth ride! For a softtail, it rides great. The TT and geometry is spot on for my 16 " (23.2" TT). The issue I have with the frameset is that the Scandium tube/front triangle lacks lateral rigidity (in fact it is a noodle). As a result I have stepped up to the Asylum FS 29" (med) frameset and found it to be awsome in the lateral rigidity category. By the way, I am 5"7" and 167 lbs. Bottom line is the Salsa is a great frame, especially given the price, but in my experience it is simply too flexly for a rider over 165 lbs. What are other riders impressions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

6 ft.tall went with a large

Sized with another customers med. and a shop guys XL. Can't wait to get it together. From the short rides with those two the smoothness is incredible.

mtbr member

Buggyman's comments

Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan
    The Dos Niner provides a real smooth ride! For a softtail, it rides great. The TT and geometry is spot on for my 16 " (23.2" TT). The issue I have with the frameset is that the Scandium tube/front triangle lacks lateral rigidity (in fact it is a noodle). As a result I have stepped up to the Asylum FS 29" (med) frameset and found it to be awsome in the lateral rigidity category. By the way, I am 5"7" and 167 lbs. Bottom line is the Salsa is a great frame, especially given the price, but in my experience it is simply too flexly for a rider over 165 lbs. What are other riders impressions?
    Buggyman, just wanted to say thanks for sharing your opinion.

I believe you commented on this a while back on another thread originally posted by michiganclydesdale. I don't think Salsa can really comment because it would just sound like we are blowing our own horn and defending our bike. What I will say regarding your comment about not being good for anyone over 165 is this.

Many Dos Niner riders are clydes. I know I am. I know on our friday morning ride a two weeks ago, 4 of the 6 riders are clydes and rode dos niners. 2 of those 4 are not employees of Salsa and both were riding 22" Dos Niners. All of those 4 either own, owned or have ridden a Surly KM. I asked 3 of those 4 about your comment and they said that while it does have a softer (not related to the softail) feel than a KM, they didn't feel it was too soft/flexy.

I will also say that the asylum you bought is a really nice bike and offers a different set of characteristics than our Dos Niner. Everyone needs to read, think, and make a decision based on how they ride and what they want.

That said, we are interested in knowing what others think?

Jason

mtbr member

Perception perhaps?

Where do you feel that it is "a noodle"? BB or headtube? I'm riding a 18" Dos and I have yet to find a trail here in AZ that the Dos isn't capable or inferior. It's fast, it rolls.

The only "problem" is the seatstay clearance (Ignitors fit nicely thank you) and paint chipping on the seattube area after only one ride (Clear 3M tape is a requirement if you want to keep your beautiful paint intact. Jason, how about some touch up paint?)

Acceleration is relative to stiffness and so far i'd say it's fast, and therefore stiff enough for my 5'10" 215lbs boat anchor backside...

Go make a difference

info on the Dos Niner

Guys,
    I really appreciate this info! I'm currently on a K2 Zed 4.0 and have been looking for the right bike for me. I do 12 / 24 hour races and had the opportunity to ride a Ti soft tail at a 24 HOA race and fell in love with the concept. Unfortunately, until now I have not had the cash to do anything about it.

I'm a clydesdale as well weighing in at 210 and I'm 6'0" tall. I've looked at all sorts of things and even though I've not had the chance to ride a 29'er, I really like the idea of a soft tail 29'er and can't wait to test one out.

That said, I spoke with a guy at Speedgoat the other day about the Asylum and the Dos. He was very helpful and admittedly biased toward the Asylum since he said he helped design it. He DID say that they have had good reviews on the Dos from those riding them, especially from taller (5'10" and up) riders.

Here's my biggest question about a 29'er: I've read that they can be sluggish on climbs compared to comparable 26 wheeled bikes. Is this true and in what instances? short rolling climbs? long gradual fire roads? short technical? all?

My thoughts on Salsa: I am extremely brand loyal when it comes to my bikes -- been riding Pro-Flex / K2 since '95. I also like riding a bike that few others have. K2 freaking rocks with customer service -- they warrantied a (9) yr Pro-Flex frame I had cracked and that's how I got my current Zed. I called Salsa the other to speak with them about a dealer -- I live in Atlanta, GA and the website showed no dealers in the area. The guy I spoke with was very helpful as I also asked him questions about the Dos. Given the fact that you guys monitor the board and have responded to the questions posed here, I'm becoming more inclined to go after that Dos as my next ride and become a Salsa-holic. Thanks guys!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Canuck
    Mar 2004

Dos is a smooth ride

I've had mine for about 3 months now, and I've only ever owned full-suspension 26" bikes. I'm amazed at how it drives through and soaks up technical terrain. I ride it as if it was a full-on dually. The frame is a little bit flexy, but I guess this is what makes it so compliant in the rough stuff. The only time I notice the flexiness is say at the start of a race on tarmac, where you're cranking the pedals hard and pulling on the bars - and most bikes will have some of this anyways. BTW, I'm 5'9" 150 lbs, 33" inseam, on an 18" frame. Standover clearance is tight - maybe an inch, but otherwise the frame fit is right on. It climbs fireroads great, and descends like you wouldn't believe. One weak point - which I'm guessing might be common to all 29' to some extent - is that in really slow technical sections, the big wheels tend to stall more than 26" wheels. But so what - crank up the speed a bit - and you'll be amazed how it just keeps going.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I find the DN to be supple and springy, but definitely not what I'd describe as "a noodle." In that previous thread that Jason referenced here, someone stated that the front end at the head tube would deflect laterally an inch or more, but I still think that's someone's optical illusion. I don't see any frame twisting up that much unless it's made out of rubber.

FWIW, I'm 5'9", 175#, 18" frame, mashing pedalling style.