Shimano Di2 on a Fargo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Shimano Di2 on a Fargo

Anyone running Di2 on a Fargo? I just put on dura ace hydro brakes on my wife and I Fargos and am think of going full Monty with a XTR Di2 system. Our bikes have 10 speed XTR now so it wouldn't be to much more parts wise. Love some Di2 feedback from system users. Thanks!
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

mtbr member
    Hi
    You can run road brake/shifters Di2 with XTR or XT Di2 derailleur's but note the front and rear derailleur's need to be all MTB or all road and they work great.
    Do not try to mix a MTB derailleur rear and a road front derailleur! it will not work!
    Happy cycling ☺

Kiwi Pete out Bikepacking somewhere ☺

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Hi
    You can run road brake/shifters Di2 with XTR or XT Di2 derailleur's but note the front and rear derailleur's need to be all MTB or all road and they work great.
    Do not try to mix a MTB derailleur rear and a road front derailleur! it will not work!
    Happy cycling ☺

Kiwi Pete out Bikepacking somewhere ☺
    i think this will let you mix road shifters and mountain derailleurs.

Tanpan – wolftoothcomponents.com

edit: i reread your post and realized i misinterpreted it. the tanpan won't help.
    Last edited by buell; 09-21-2016 at 09:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Di2 is different. XTR will work with the road shifters. It is not like cable actuated gear that have pull ratios.
    I bet a Di2 Fargo would be fuuuun

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Kiwi Pete! Was thinking I would run XTR 3x front derailleur with my ten speed XTR triple crankset then maybe a XT rear mechanism. Just started researching the Di2 after putting on the brakes. Think it will be slick. Are the Kennet brothers still biking down there?
    Thanks buell for the link!
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

Human Test Subject
    Is your 10 speed XTR on an 11 speed cassette? It sounds like you'll need new cranks, derailleurs, and rear hubs.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    I run XTR Di2 on my Bucksaw and I luv it. I have been running Di2 on my Specialized Camber EVO for over a year and it is smooth, precise and quick when shifting. No problems shifting under load even going uphill. I run a 1x11 32T
    chainring and 46/11 cassette. You definitely don't need it but once you run it it will be hard to go back.
    :rockon: Camber Expert Carbon EVO :yesnod: Salsa Carbon Bucksaw :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by demondan View Post
    Anyone running Di2 on a Fargo? I just put on dura ace hydro brakes on my wife and I Fargos and am think of going full Monty with a XTR Di2 system. Our bikes have 10 speed XTR now so it wouldn't be to much more parts wise. Love some Di2 feedback from system users. Thanks!
    How the hell did you acquire the Duraace hydraulic shifters/levers already? I didn't think the ST-R9150 levers were shipping until Nov or Dec.

I plan to use the ST-R785 integrated Di2/hydraulic levers on my build, with XTR Di2 3X front and rear ders. Unfortunately it is the only way to get an uncompromised Shimano touring setup (integrated drop bar levers, hydraulic brakes, mountain drivetrain).

If you're still considering Di2, check the "Where Are The Best Deals" forum for the XTR 9050 rear derailleur thread. You can currently pick up an XTR Di2 triple rear der for $237 and a triple front der with mount adapter for $119. Crazy cheap right now. I suspect that Shimano may be end-of-life'ing the 3X models of the Di2. Worth noting that the imminent XT Di2 stuff has only 1X and 2X options, no 3X.

I am considering the new 2017 Fargo, or a used Deadwood, so I can run 3" tires when necessary. That creates the final obstacle that I've yet to solve: a 3X Boost spaced crankset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Inertiaman, I am FOW... John Slawta of Landshark once told me "it's not who you know it's how you know them"
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by demondan View Post
    Thanks Inertiaman, I am FOW... John Slawta of Landshark once told me "it's not who you know it's how you know them"
    I have no idea what you are trying to communicate. FOW? There's 20+ definitions for that acronym and none of them seem to apply here.

So lets approach this another way: can you please give a more detailed description of your drivetrain & brakes on your Fargo? On one hand you say its 10 speed XTR currently, but simultaneously you say its Duraace hydro. Hard to reconcile those two. You can't possibly mean that you're using Duraace calipers, since those are flat-mount only, which won't fit on a Fargo (not to mention, what would be the point of swapping XTR calipers to Duraace??). The other "duraace hydro" explanation I can think of is the shifters/levers, but in that case you're mixing 11 speed road cable pull ratios with 10 speed Dynasys mountain derailleurs??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry that means Friend of Wayne. I am using hydro brake levers and road calipers that I guess are not dura ace? And bar end shifters and a mix of 900 series parts. I was a field tester for Shimano skunk from 91to 2001 but am way out of the loop now. I thought what Shimano sent was dura ace but I guess not? I hope to upgrade the drive train to Di2 XTR using the shifters in the brake levers.
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sounds to me like you've got ST-R785 integrated shifters/levers (hydraulic brakes and Di2 shifting) but have left the shifting portion of it unconnected. Independently of those, you are running bar end shifters and old 8 speed XTR derailleurs with a 10 speed cassette/chain.

To move to Di2 you'll need the front and rear derailleurs, an 11 speed cassette and chain, all of the requisite battery/junctions/wires to implement Di2, and potentially a new crank/chainrings (depending on what you're running there).

For derailleurs, as noted above, you need to have both front and rear be the same discipline (both road, or both mtb, no mixing). If you want 3X, your only choice is XTR; the XT and Ultegra and Duraace options are all 2X only. If you're doing an MTB cassette, you'll need MTB derailleurs; Ultegra or Duraace can only clear 32T, slightly more in a pinch.

FWIW the R785 (and mechanical shifting R685 equivalent) are technically "non-series" parts, ie not Ultegra or Duraace or anything. But generally regarded as Ultegra quality level. If you want to definitively know what you've got, just peel back the rubber hoods a bit and read; the model code should be stamped into the plastic body.

Lastly, perhaps consider avoiding acronyms that only one person on the entire planet understands. Even your explanation of it will fall mostly on deaf ears . . . Wayne Stetina has been at Shimano a long time, but he's hardly a household name on MTBR threads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks Inertiaman. Your derailleur info is the way I was planing to go.
    As for the acronym, I am hardly the only one in the world who uses FOW in reference to Wayne. Thought you might be a insider... Thanks again for lining me out and happy trails!
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade