Salsa Vaya Component Sizes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Salsa Vaya Component Sizes?

I'm looking at a Vaya complete bike through and when I asked them about the component sizes for the 57cm they said 170mm crank, 42 c-c bars and a 90mm stem. They said they couldn't swap any of the parts from the packaged Salsa deal.
    I usually ride a 57cm eff top tube road bike with a 11cm stem, 44 c-c bars and 175 crank so the sizes on the Vaya seem a tad strange.
    Is this typical for a bike like the Vaya or do most people just buy the frame and build it up with whatever they like.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Out of curiosity, who did you check with about component sizes? I ask because last year's Vaya had the component size info included on the build spec page http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya11/ and the sizes listed match nearly perfectly to what you usually ride. I wonder if someone quoted the wrong specs to you, maybe double-check, all of those parts seem awfully small for a 57???

If the sizes quoted are correct, check the spec on the 58 if you think you can live with a 1cm longer TT. If not, maybe your shop can help you with pricing on the correct size components and you can usually get a decent return on the OE parts by selling them on ebay.

From what I've seen on here, many others have bought frames and built as they pleased. The complete price is just too good of a deal, and I've played the expensive and time consuming "custom" build game too many times already. FWIW, my 60 fit perfect out of the box and the only thing I changed was the saddle; the stock salsa is not too bad and it currently resides on my town-bike, I just like the WTB SST for any sort of distance. The only components that I'm not 100% happy about are the BB5 brakes, I would have gladly paid the extra $50 to get the BB7s as stock. The brakes work, but have to be a little looser than I would like to eliminate pad rub; the way the pads are attached to the BB7s eliminate this problem.

Good luck, the bikes are great! This is by far one of my favorite bikes that I've ever owned, there are many very good reasons why they are almost all sold before they arrive in-country. I waited 4-5 months for mine...and it was totally worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the reply! The information I got was from the guy at Realcyclist.com . When I looked at the Salsa website I pulled up the link below which has the build spec info but not the specific info on component size for each frame size. Your link also shows a Shimano group rather than the SRAM group so maybe it's from last year? Anyway, I sent an email to Salsa and I'm sure they will verify the sizing.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I work in a bike shop (that sells a lot of Vayas), and I would say that if who you are getting your bike from is not happy to swap things like bar width, crank length and such to suit your preferences, then I wouldn't buy a bike from them.....

Just built up a 57cm Vaya for myself actually - 300km christening ride over the weekend = SUCH AN AWESOME BIKE

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    OP: Did you ever get any clarification from Salsa?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The sizes

Yes, Salsa responded very quickly. For the 57cm, crank 175mm, bars 44cm c-c, stem 100mm. Should be just about perfect. Now just trying to find a place in SoCal that actually has one in stock for a test ride.

Thanks!