Salsa softtail.....- Mtbr.com
    giddy up!

Salsa softtail.....

Talked to Salsa guys this morning and here's the deal.

Scandium frame, 1 inch travel pivotless softtail, oval chainstays, disc or canti, geared, in sizes [email protected] Only the 16 required the seat tube to extend above the toptube. Shock is a proprietary unit designed by salsa.

The paint job is apparently green(dang) with rasta flames.

Should be available immediately after the show.

If the geometry works, I'll buy with little hesitation,

I'll be hitting the salsa booth as soon as I walk into the show, before the fisher booth even:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Harmonius Wrench

Good News! But..............

I sure hope they make those top tubes longer than their 26" offerings. Those are "old school" short! Green with "rasta" flames, eh? Sounds VERY interesting! Can't wait to see it. Great news that they are getting on board!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    1 inch travel pivotless softtail
    Is that just an elastomer?

BTW, I think you are catching up to Terminaut as far as the bike collection goes...

Recovering couch patato
    Very cool to have such a cool company joing the action. However, suppose I'm on the market for a kick-azz race frame, even if the geometry works for me, will I really need the softtail? Won't it just add more weight than the Scandium saves over generic alloy?
    I guess the few softtails I tried on shopfloors always felt like a DOA shockpost, not set to my weight properly, or I would have been even more excited. O well, if a similar Moots works fo MikeC, a Salsa is well good enough for me.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Is that just an elastomer?

BTW, I think you are catching up to Terminaut as far as the bike collection goes...
    Not sure on the specifics of the shock, but I wouold imagine soo.....hopefully it's an "intelligently" designed elastomer similar to the ibis/castellano design.

Nah, I can only dream of a collection like Tam.....he's somewhere in the 50's or 60's I think....I'm still in the single digits if I'm counting correctly
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

34N 118W

wait for me!

I'll be hitting the salsa booth as soon as I walk into the show, before the fisher booth even:-) B

see ya @ the booth! Did they mention having one out for the Demo Daze? I'm going to be doing some beat reporting and photog'ing - a test ride would be cool.

HW

Recovering couch patato
    Considering Winwood (forks) and Salsa effectively being the same company, the damping could be anything from air to oil to coil.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Humble question?

Isn't Scandium an aluminum alloy?

Please educate me here.

Having seen softails they generally flex the material of the frame instead of have a pivot. This area of flex is around the back of the bottom bracket.

I'm told that titanum is great in this application and will almost never fail. Steel will also work fairly well.

But aluminum?

Harmonius Wrench

Yes- Aluminum

The Castellano/ Ibis design is done in aluminum. The chainstays are plates, not tubes. Their tests showed that the aluminum was safe for this application. No way of knowing if Salsa licensed that design, or has one of their own, but I'm confident that they did their homework before releasing their design. Plenty of the Ibis/ Castellano bikes already out there. Anybody have experience on one?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Bored

Hybrid Materials?

Perhaps it is an Sc and Steel hybrid like the KHS ST series bikes?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Witty McWitterson
    Nope, its no hybrid. Full scandium tubset. It'll be intersting to see it, that's for sure. Can't wait.
    Just a regular guy.

Biz

Aug 2004
    I'm not sure how much I'm at liberty to discuss, so I'll leave out any details. I walk past this bike daily at work, I saw it in prototype form a while back, and I've seen the production version (drooled all over it at lunch today in fact.) It is sweet, you will want one, it will sell fast so order it as soon as you can if you want one. I have the answers to some of the questions posted in this thread, but I don't want to get fired for giving them. I'll talk to the higher-ups and see what they'll let me spill the beans on. I have a camera phone, so if they're feeling generous I can try to get you guys some grainy pics next time I work.

Recovering couch patato
    Biz, you da man! We just love premieres on here. Thanks for leaving lurker mode, welcome to the board!

J
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

747's flex...

up to 25' at the wing tips. The aluminium that better bike companies use nowdays is much much better than back in the days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Soft Tails

So is good climbing take a penalty for softtails. Does a softtail bob much? Gee I can only wish that this will have an ecc BB, with a decient length TT. I think I will have found my new bike.

Currently I will go custom with an EBB or wait for the GF SS, I know suspension doesn't fit the simplicity bill, but I wish it had a reba fork.

Recovering couch patato
    You will be able to get a Reba fork from Fisher along with the bike. Might not be the best of deals, not being part of a complete bike rather than a semi-aftermarket item, but your LBS might make it worth your while, not charging full retail on the extra fork. The spec of the Rig is pretty high-end, so there was no room for a Reba in the projected budget, even if they wanted to offer it.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

i ride a ibis ripley...

i've got 2 bikes in my stable. both are single speeds. ride #1, a kelly 29er with a kelly rigid frok. ride #2 is an ibis ripley with a fox float 100rlc fork. the kelly is my fav., love the geometry, stability and the rigid fork on the fire road climbs in so cal.

the ibis is a great climbing bike. it climbs with hardtail efficiency, and maybe abit better than a ht if it's abit rough. when it was geary, i could climb atleast 1 or 2 gears higher than on my sc blur. and no, i cannot feel any "bob" in the softail design.

the ripley is a great design...it's stiff (i weigh 185, run 32x18 and have never heard a peep from the rear end) and reasonably light (4.5 pounds for my xl sized frame). the rear shock is also plush and easy to tune...it's one of those set and forget things.

the salsa frame will be sweet if the shock is something similar in design. i'd love to get a ripley if it came in a 29er version (there is talk of a 29er option for the re-birth of the silk ti frames thru castellano designs). hopefully, the salsa frame will get good reviews and have nice geometry (long tt, low standover). how they get 1" of travel from oval scandium stays is pretty crazy.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldone
    So is good climbing take a penalty for softtails. Does a softtail bob much? Gee I can only wish that this will have an ecc BB, with a decient length TT. I think I will have found my new bike.

Currently I will go custom with an EBB or wait for the GF SS, I know suspension doesn't fit the simplicity bill, but I wish it had a reba fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Plenty of the Ibis/ Castellano bikes already out there. Anybody have experience on one?
    I have been riding my Ripley since June 2001. I estimate it has 9000-10,000 miles on it...so I guess I have a little experience on one Basicly it rides like a very smooth hardtail. I never really notice any motion associated with rear suspension. I have been very happy with it, and have ridden it on everything from 40+ mph hardpack hills to gnarly rock crawling. A short fork like my SID makes the handing very quick but still manageable. Dang...now I'm all fired up to ride, but I will have to wait until after work.

The popular myth is that aluminum will break if flexed. Not true; it just has a lower fatigue strength than many other metals. If the frame is designed around the material properites there is no reason why aluminum cannot flex and make a durable frame. ALL frames flex...steel, aluminum, Ti, carbon fiber, etc., it just so happens that the Ripley/Fango flexes a little differently than a hardtail.

Biz

Aug 2004
    I got beat to the punch on pics in the Eurobike thread, so my contributions are as follows: The frame is LIGHT, very light. No scale, but it was definitely not as heavy as my Sugar 292 frame and seemed to be about on par with my Supercaliber 29. I also come bearing geometry for the 18":
    TT (C to C) 22.5"
    TT (Horiz.) 23.5"
    HT 72*
    ST 73*
    Drop 2.4"
    CS 17.9"
    Stand Over 32.3"
    Head Tube 3.9"

Moderator Moderator

very nice indeed

Frame weight in the ~4.5 range. Seems lighter than my Dean and IF frame for some odd reason too. I've got 3 or 4 pics of it...let me know if you guys want me to post more. Very cool indeed and the rasta flames would go well with the steel pulse and israel vibration songs constantly bumping in my head.

I found it interesting that the Germans love reggae music too...
    Front Range Forum Moderator

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Frame weight in the ~4.5 range. Seems lighter than my Dean and IF frame for some odd reason too. I've got 3 or 4 pics of it...let me know if you guys want me to post more. Very cool indeed and the rasta flames would go well with the steel pulse and israel vibration songs constantly bumping in my head.

I found it interesting that the Germans love reggae music too...
    Please post more pics:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Moderator Moderator

Ok

Please post more pics:-)

B
    Some rear shock detail. The green color is pretty sweet...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Front Range Forum Moderator

N+1

me want

Oh my, my, that is nice. Thanks for pictures.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

get down!
    wow, looks like I'll be getting two new mountain bikes this year, the rig and this puppy...salsa brought back a little soul with this one

this will be the geared ride

what kind of rear shock will it be speced with?...brand wise? FOX?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed
    wow, looks like I'll be getting two new mountain bikes this year, the rig and this puppy...salsa brought back a little soul with this one

this will be the geared ride

what kind of rear shock will it be speced with?...brand wise? FOX?
    The shock was designed by Salsa, and is unique to this particular frame.

While I do like the bike, Salsa will never have "soul" like it did under Ross..
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Jan 2004
    While I do like the bike, Salsa will never have "soul" like it did under Ross..
    Aye laddie. Couldn't agree more - although the QBP guys are doing a darn good job.

mtbr member

Any geometry data for the larger size(s)?

That top tube length for this (M) frame is longer than the 26" Salsa hardtail cousin.

I'm very interested!!!

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Aye laddie. Couldn't agree more - although the QBP guys are doing a darn good job.
    that's why I said "a little" haha, very little
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE