Salsa seaclamp- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa seaclamp

Dec 2004

Salsa seaclamp

Hi,

I'm looking to get a salsa seatclamp for my 2005 furio frame - could someone let me know which size I should get?

LA CHÈVRE
    Seatpost size is 27.2, seatclamp/front derailleur size is 31.8. I just installed a black Salsa seatclamp on my Prophet and it's such an improvement compared with the stock seatclamp...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Salsa rules

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Seatpost size is 27.2, seatclamp/front derailleur size is 31.8. I just installed a black Salsa seatclamp on my Prophet and it's such an improvement compared with the stock seatclamp...
    The Salsa seatpost quick release was the first thing I changed, except for my tires, when I got the gemini. It came off my old bike. It's over 3 years old and still smooth as butter when tightening.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    The Salsa seatpost quick release was the first thing I changed, except for my tires, when I got the gemini. It came off my old bike. It's over 3 years old and still smooth as butter when tightening.
    I have a Salsa seatpost clamp as well, solid.

One question though...Do you run it with the lip facing the front wheel or the back wheel? Mine has always faced forward, but I know someday that the lip is going to result in injury to my leg in a crash. Maybe I should wrap it in tape or something.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I have a Salsa seatpost clamp as well, solid.

One question though...Do you run it with the lip facing the front wheel or the back wheel? Mine has always faced forward, but I know someday that the lip is going to result in injury to my leg in a crash. Maybe I should wrap it in tape or something.

Thoughts?
    I use to run it facing the back wheel on my old bike. I've got it facing the front wheel on the Gemini. I think I switched it because seem to work better that way. Good point on injury prevention. I should take a look at it again.

Dec 2004
    Thanks people! Looking at the stated sizes from Salse - looks as though 32.00 is the closest match, as there's no 31.8mm, still, that should be fine.

Now for the important bit, black or silver?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders
    Thanks people! Looking at the stated sizes from Salse - looks as though 32.00 is the closest match, as there's no 31.8mm, still, that should be fine.

Now for the important bit, black or silver?
    Yep, 32 is what you need.
    As for the color, it all depends of the rest of your bike...

After only a few uses, I can't believe I didn't get one of those earlier in my cycling carreer! It's just a little component but it's working so well, it puts to shame every other seat collars I have ever used! Some need playing with the nut all the time, some just don't clamp with enough force, some just break... You should see the one on my Fisher, I had to put a piece of leather filled with grease between the collar and the lever so it could move, the little plastic bushing wore out in about 2 weeks and without it, it was barely movable and was screeching like nails on a blackboard! As a bonus, the Salsa looks very nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

jealousy..

I had some flips offs on my first bike....stilll going strong 10 years later.
    I just bought a seat post clamp too....Dan made me jealous !!
    R.I.P 26ers....

Ex-Clydesdale
    Damn it, Dan, I don't need to spend more money... you're evil.

I guess I'll be ordering a Salsa clamp from my LBS tomorrow.

'94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

LA CHÈVRE
    LOL, I get 20 percent on every Flip-Lock.

I was at the LBS yesterday night with my bike and clients were all asking me questions about it, I had more people after me than the salesmen. I'll start my own shop one day, selling Cannondales and Salsa Flip-Locks!