Salsa and REI- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa and REI

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Salsa and REI

Most of the Salsa models have disappeared from the REI website over the past couple of weeks. Warbird, Vaya and Timberjack have all disappeared. Has anybody heard that the relationship is ending?

Possible it has something to do with the model year turnover, but I seem to remember REI dropping models/brands suddenly in the past.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    given that a bunch of the fatbike models just hit the website, I think this is just seasonal turnover.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    i noticed this too... i have to think it's model-year turnover, or supply chain issues (i.e., salsa has run out of inventory on those models for 2018).

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The missing 2018's showed up again on the REI site with most of them 20% off!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Ordered a GX1 for 1200 to my nearest store!

Caca pasa
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What u think about the Salsa Woodsmoke 2017 for $1700 at rei (20% off), I went to my lbs and they cant match that price because they only have some 2018 in stock. still debating between the Timberjack and the woodsmoke, spec on that woodsmoke are very average (bad in some) but is a carbon frame .
    They sold out all the large timberjack

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel212 View Post
    What u think about the Salsa Woodsmoke 2017 for $1700 at rei (20% off), I went to my lbs and they cant match that price because they only have some 2018 in stock. still debating between the Timberjack and the woodsmoke, spec on that woodsmoke are very average (bad in some) but is a carbon frame .
    They sold out all the large timberjack
    Wow, yeah, you could go crazy upgrading that Woodsmoke. Sunrace, really?
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Easy decision for me, I would go woodsmoke all the way. I enjoy upgrading parts along the way. Keeps the bike feeling fresh/new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well I pull the trigger, under 2k with taxs.
    Only 5 Large size left, told me the employee
    BTW crazy return policy from REI, 1 year return warranty under any condition, so you can use the bike for 11 months and return with a full money back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    BTW crazy return policy from REI, 1 year return warranty under any condition, so you can use the bike for 11 months and return with a full money back.
    REI used to have a lifetime return policy but changed it because so many people were abusing it. Don't abuse the return policy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    not quite. It is a performance guarantee, not an unconditional guarantee. If the item is performing as it should, and that isn't working for you, they will return it. If you just beat the hell out of something, they can refuse the return because it is performing as expected. If you break something because you are using it beyond it's performance expectations, they can refuse it for abuse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    not quite. It is a performance guarantee, not an unconditional guarantee. If the item is performing as it should, and that isn't working for you, they will return it. If you just beat the hell out of something, they can refuse the return because it is performing as expected. If you break something because you are using it beyond it's performance expectations, they can refuse it for abuse.

Well I dont have any plan to abuse that system, but the sales guys, told me about few guys buying kayak and returning every few months, basically as lease , also he show me about 5 use bikes brand ghost and co op, and one was 8 month old of use, returner in exchange for a different one. People can abuse that system really easy, or may be was that store ( locate in a really upscale neighborhood )
    crazy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Update:
    Finally they shipping my woodsmoke, was 2018 model instead the 2017 they have in the website, a good improvement vs 2017 model. Really glad I get the bike, was under 2k.
    I request to be in the box and they agree so now plan to sale the stock parts and start upgrading .

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was at REI the other day and noticed they carry Salsa bikes. Ive heard they are good bikes and will be in the market for a new one soon.

I would be coming from a V1 Ibis Ripley and am wondering how their Carbon full suspension bikes compare to boutique brands? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Salsa makes good bikes in general. They are a legitimate player in the mountain bike segment. They use a "split pivot" suspension which is one of Dave Weagle earlier designs and similar to what Trek uses on their bikes. Some say it is not quite as efficient at climbing as the DW link used by Ibis (and Pivot). I think most modern bikes climb just fine. The shocks and suspension designs have come a long way over the last 10 years.

I assume you are looking at REI in order to get the 10% dividend and perhaps an extra 5% REI credit card dividend. Just be aware that the 10% does not apply to sale bikes and you might get more than 10% off going to a traditional bike store that caries Salsa. REI also caries Cannondale and Ghost FWIW.

mtbr member
    REI right now has the prior-generation FS bikes and the Woodsmoke for 30% off.