Salsa Redpoint- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa Redpoint

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Salsa Redpoint

Judging from the Salsa storysite they're dropping day by day, it looks like a new bike called the Redpoint will be revealed later this week.

Salsa Redpoint-redpoint048.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    where are you seeing this?
    just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    where are you seeing this?
    This pic shows the bike pretty well, including the top tube with the name printed on it - plus, all the images have Redpoint in the link address text:

Salsa Redpoint-redpoint058.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    that's not a pony rustler? where are you finding these pics?
    just ride.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    that's not a pony rustler? where are you finding these pics?
    Have Dirt, Will Travel | Salsa Cycles
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ah....it's that blue and yellow bike isn't it? the name is blacked out in every picture

can't see anything special about it vs. spearfish or horsethief?
    just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I see 26+ and regular 27.5 tires.

Meh.

I'm more interested in what's going to be happening with the El Mar this year or next....
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It looks like a long travel 27+/29 bike to me to compete with the Hightower/Yeti 5.5c, etc. Probably 135/140 in the rear with a 150/160 up front.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
    It looks like a long travel 27+/29 bike to me to compete with the Hightower/Yeti 5.5c, etc. Probably 135/140 in the rear with a 150/160 up front.
    On the wheel size I have to disagree with you.

One bike is shod with 26x2.75 dirt wizards, another has 27.5 schwalbe hans dampfs, and another with 27.5 magic marys

I submit for your review:

https://salsacycles.com/files/story/redpoint011.jpg
    https://salsacycles.com/files/story/redpoint022.jpg
    https://salsacycles.com/files/story/redpoint049.jpg

And finally,

https://salsacycles.com/files/story/redpoint065.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if these were running boost spacing, either.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looks like the riding was done in Alberta and there's a Redpoint Media & Marketing company in Calgary. Redpoint is likely the ones doing this marketing promo/photo shoot for this.

Looks like a 27,5+/29. Funny thing in one of the pix's today, all the bikes are in the truck, but only the blue/yellow is secured with a cable lock. Can't lose the prototype :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Ambassador of Chub
    Hmmm...first impression? This seems like it is filling a fairly small niche that isn't already addressed, or couldn't be addressed with slight variation, by other existing models.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    What makes this different from the Pony Rustler? More travel?
    I AM FAT!
    2016 Salsa Blackborow
    2018 Salsa Blackborow Mid

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    What makes this different from the Pony Rustler? More travel?
    The basic differences are that the Redpoint is a 27.5 wheel only bike with 150 mm travel . The Pony Rustler is a 27.5+/29er bike with 120 mm travel.

Ambassador of Chub
    Ok, sometimes I'm a little slow, but I think the light bulbs are finally going off for me on the Redpoint, and I take back what I said above. I can see how this is a different enough bike from the PR, HT, etc. Not sure I'm the market for this bike, but I can see how it's a good addition to the lineup.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It seems weird to me that this bike is getting virtually zero press. I think I've only seen one "first ride" article.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Salsa Redpoint-redpoint1.jpgSalsa Redpoint-redpoint2.jpgSalsa Redpoint-redpoint3.jpg

I <3 dirt
    Seems like a nice mid/long travel bike with awesome geometry. Low, long and slack. I wish it was getting more press coverage.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    Seems like a nice mid/long travel bike with awesome geometry. Low, long and slack. I wish it was getting more press coverage.
    If you actually want one, then you might be glad it's not getting a ton of hype - word is that there will only be a small number produced this year.

I <3 dirt
    I won't be buying one. I ride a 2016 sb6c. I just like seeing more bikes without gimmicks or compromises, especially a Q house brand.

Ambassador of Chub
    I won't be buying one. I ride a 2016 sb6c. I just like seeing more bikes without gimmicks or compromises, especially a Q house brand.
    Agreed.

I think it would be a blast with some 26+ rubber on it...

I <3 dirt
    Nope

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ... more bikes without gimmicks or compromises.
    LOL this entire industry has been nothing but gimmicks/compromises the last ten years.
    "You need 29" wheels to roll over stuff!!" Oooops, nope, that's too big.

"Here! Try the new 27.5!! It's awesome!!!"

Just a minute...what you REALLY need is a fat tire. Not fat enough?? OK, we can do fatter! Oooops, nope, that's too fat.

Here, try this 29+!!! It's fat but not too fat. Taller is WAY better than fat. Until we come up with something else for you to buy.

No??? OK, here's a 27.5+....blah blah blah blah blah

I <3 dirt
    I'll agree to all of that but at the bare bones of this bike is a long reach, slack trail bike. I feel like they made a 27.5 bike and then we're like "oh I guess it'll fit 26+".

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ya, I didn't mean to bust your chops or anything. There is just so keep much 'new'...and some of it is pretty neat, as well.

I'm as guilty as the next...ride a Salsa Fargo with a suspension fork, seems to work just fine. But....do I 'need' a Deadwood??? Lol

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    LOL this entire industry has been nothing but gimmicks/compromises the last ten years.
    "You need 29" wheels to roll over stuff!!" Oooops, nope, that's too big.

"Here! Try the new 27.5!! It's awesome!!!"

Just a minute...what you REALLY need is a fat tire. Not fat enough?? OK, we can do fatter! Oooops, nope, that's too fat.

Here, try this 29+!!! It's fat but not too fat. Taller is WAY better than fat. Until we come up with something else for you to buy.

No??? OK, here's a 27.5+....blah blah blah blah blah
    Sure, but there will always be that element - it's a business, after all. However, at the end of the day, it isn't about what's being hyped or what anyone is telling you that you supposedly "need" (and no one is forcing you to buy anything last time I checked), - it's about what actually works for you and what you do with it and if you decide it's something you want to adopt. We have lots of options these days, and that's really not a bad thing.

I <3 dirt
    Don't get me started on fat bikes and mid fat lol

Ambassador of Chub
    Don't get me started on fat bikes and mid fat lol
    Ok, we won't.

But it would be the first thing I would swap out on this bike....

Human Test Subject
    Salsa's not creating new customers with this bike, theyre selling to someone who already has bikes but not this one. That's why it's different.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Saving lives with knives.
    Seems to me the big difference is the top tube length. Every other bike in this segment has pretty similar dimensions. I h ave struggled to find bikes with long enough top tubes. I am 5'10" and have found myself riding bike larger bikes just to get a bike with an adequate top tube. I recently bought a trek farley with 24.8" top tube and a usable standover height. It makes my size M niner feel like a childs bike. I will probably end up getting another wheelset for the farley to use it as my year-round hard tail.

With this in mind, I am very interested in this bike. I have had my eye on a mondraker but those are rare here in the states. This seems like the best alternative.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    TLDR:

So I just test rode a PR, and now I'm seriously jonesing for a Redpoint. I normally ride a Yeti SB-66 and a Surly ICT. Thinking of selling both. Redpoint seems like a relatively future-proof bike with standard 27.5 wheels, but the 26+ really interests me. I liked the PR as the plus tires worked great for what I ride - lots of little ball bearing gravel over hard, patches of sand, patches of exposed rock on the lower elevation trails, and mostly loose decomposed granite up high, sometimes on loose over hard, sometimes just loose and deep. The ICT I own grips this stuff like Velcro but I think long travel + might be more fun. Its rare that we have enough snow to really need the ICT. Snow here usually packed enough to ride anything or deep enough that nothing works until its hiked in. I'd like to thin the herd. I like the geo and travel of my Yeti and being only 5'8" don't need or want a 29er/27.5+ bike. The horsethief/PR felt a little taller than I'd like. I like the smaller size wheels, so 26+ Redpoint sounds pretty appealing. What's keeping me from pulling the trigger is tire support. I hope tire manufacturers actually support that size to make it worth considering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Any ride reports, first impressions? The geometry looks to fit right between the Pivot 429trail and Mach 6. Any comparisons?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    TLDR:

So I just test rode a PR... CUT ...The horsethief/PR felt a little taller than I'd like. I like the smaller size wheels, so 26+ Redpoint sounds pretty appealing. What's keeping me from pulling the trigger is tire support. I hope tire manufacturers actually support that size to make it worth considering.
    What size PR did you ride? I'm 5'8" too and considering... well, everything in between the spearfish and redpoint Will probably get either spearfish for XC and Redpoint for AM or Horsethief for everything. Without a chance for test rides in my country I'd need to be sure of frame size before ordering.

I usually ride mediums (have a 429c & Camber EVO). I know, have two great bikes and they would suffice but somehow the Salsas draw on me!

mtbr member
    Sorry for the delay, I rode a medium. I'm still riding a 26" wheel bike and the front end of the horserusltler/ponythief felt a bit higher than I like. I liked the fit otherwise, and it was a demo so I couldn't really play with spacers and bar height.

Didn't feel the same on a Yeti SB5.5 ( it blew me away for a 29er but that's way beyond my price range and no + anyway)

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode the RedPoint XO1 today. Freaking fun. Surprised how much I liked it.

They did not have a 26+ version to try.

I also road the PR GX1. Fun bike too. Personal choice will win--both bikes are awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Redpoint is a very nice - purpose built trail bike. Solid, quiet and performs extremely well! I don't know if it had the 'pop' i love in a bike, but also only a demo ride and not much time to play around. As it was - 30% sag front and rear and it pedaled great, felt supple/plush and reasonably nimble in the tight. Didn't get to thrash it on any big rocky descents - but a truly well executed - no quirks or bad surprises kind of bike. I think this would be the easy to own, easy to love mt biking kind of bike. And that says a lot!

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Redpoint climbs surprisingly well. Doesn't have as much pop because it has 150 travel. I would like to ride this and the Horsetheif back to back. PR handling with the big wheels is too slow for my liking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've had this bike since last September,built up with XO1 for the most part and a mixer wheels,26x3 r/27.5x2.8 f on Derby 34i rims.I've also got a set of 30i with 2.6 Nobby Nic's for the faster stuff.Weighs 27.8 ready to roll and roll it does.Pedals great for a 150 mm bike and handles even better!

Salsa Redpoint-p1010002.jpgSalsa Redpoint-p1010008.jpgSalsa Redpoint-p1010009.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I bought this bike on a whim. It arrived at the shop while I was at Dirt Fest. When I got home I spent two days putting it together, slowly. I didn't get a chance to ride it too much because I had a gravel race in the Adirondacks. I finally got it dialed in just before NEMBAfest at the Kingdom trails.

Holy Crap! What an awesome bike!! Fast and smooth!

I also have a Horsethief carbon 1, it's a great bike but the Redpoint is for me and my riding style a way better bike.

I'm suprised more people aren't on these.

Salsa Redpoint-kingdom-redpoint.jpg

mtbr member
    Ordered my 2018 Redpoint Carbon GX 1 yesterday...I can't wait!!!
    "Wherever you go, there you are."

2015 Trek Crossrip Elite
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2018 Salsa Redpoint