Salsa Panniers.. Ugly?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Salsa Panniers.. Ugly?

I think so.

Ok so I'm a bit new to bikepacking.. my bikepacking is a bit different than yours probably.

I'd still consider myself a novice biker.. but 2 things have occurred in recent years.

1) I've been able to do a lot more RV'ing while working on the road. Talking 25,000 miles plus.

2) We had a baby (congrats to us)

So I found myself with 3 needs.

1) Biking on surfaces that are dirt, loose, gravel, whatever .
    2) Needing to carry more gear because.. ya know.. toddlers..
    3) A desire to go deeper off the beaten path.

I ended up with a Fargo.

I put an Alternator rack on the back. And today I received my Salsa Bags from Jenson.

they're ugly.. I just don't know what to say other than that. They look messy, the red clashes, they are gigantic for my needs.. ALTHOUGH, I can see where the extra space in the bags could come in handy.

Is it just me? Or am I just a novice? Or am I missing a neat looking bag with some style that also holds all your junk?

(my junk = a diaper bag, a soft sided cooler filled with baby drinks and some adult drinks, a picnic's worth of food, and some spare room for window shopping turning into the wife wants to buy that thing, a short supply run from the local grocer back to the RV.)

Open to any thoughts, suggestions, tips or advice about hauling kids, gear, stuff, and I'm partial to looks too...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    If you make bikes, you shouldn’t it attempt to make bags (not that Salsa actually “makes” bags). And vice versa, too. Otherwise, you end up with the Harley Davidson syndrome aka the Specialized syndrome (except all the way around much shittier and over priced than HD).

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    If you make bikes, you shouldn’t it attempt to make bags (not that Salsa actually “makes” bags). And vice versa, too. Otherwise, you end up with the Harley Davidson syndrome aka the Specialized syndrome (except all the way around much shittier and over priced than HD).
    I really agree with this. I still have them.. I had to put them on the bike, look at em.. look at em some more..

they kinda started growing on me a little. I'm still well within my return window and I haven't gotten them dirty yet. So we'll see ..

mtbr member
    I don't find them any uglier than any others