Salsa frames any good?VooDoo Sobo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Salsa frames any good?VooDoo Sobo?

I'm looking for a new mtn.bike this year.I wanted a Rocky Mtn.scandium Vertex but it's a bit too much money$1700 Canadian.Salsa makes a scandium Bandito and VooDoo's Sobo might be back in the picture.Anyone have anything to say about these frames?

formerly Giantxc
    I haven't ridden the Sobo, but I can't say enough good things about my 853 Voodoo Bizango. Sure hope they make a return to North America as some have indicated they are.

Quote Originally Posted by limba
    I'm looking for a new mtn.bike this year.I wanted a Rocky Mtn.scandium Vertex but it's a bit too much money$1700 Canadian.Salsa makes a scandium Bandito and VooDoo's Sobo might be back in the picture.Anyone have anything to say about these frames?

keep the shiny side up!
    i really liked the geometry of the previous voodoos. i have owned 2 (not sobos), but i am leary of the quality of the "new" voodoo. not sure who is running that company anymore. why are you so intent on scandium?

Feb 2004

ive got the salsa scandium road frame...

bike is made over seas, but the quality is excellent. ride quality is amazing. this is by far, one of the best deals on the market. can't say how the mtb would ride, but im sure the quality is equally as good as the road frame. im diggin' the feel of the scandium front triangle, too. very steel like in ride quality. not as whippy, however.

mtbr member
    I own a scandium Voodoo 'cross bike and I love it.That's why I want to stay with a scandium frame.

Go faster
    I ride a Salsa Ala Carte and like it alot. I say Salsa makes a good product for the money, especially when it comes to frames
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mar 2004
    The VooDoos are still made by the same people, and have the same quality as the older models. They lost U.S. Distro a few years back, but now they are being re-introduced to the U.S. market. I believe QBP or BTI is distro'ing them now.

Amazing frames, but a little pricey.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. ??

Quote Originally Posted by ReverbAndWhiskey
    The VooDoos are still made by the same people, and have the same quality as the older models. They lost U.S. Distro a few years back, but now they are being re-introduced to the U.S. market. I believe QBP or BTI is distro'ing them now.

Aren't they an american company? (not saying they are built here though)

Jun 2004
    I just bought a 2004 Bandito frame... It is extremly light and bomb-proof. THey go for around $640 @ www.speedgoat.com
    THey are made overseas in small batches which brings down the price. I've been told that the frame is just as good as a Yeti ARC... except the Yeti is USA made, hence higher pricetag.

mtbr member

It's BTI

Quote Originally Posted by ReverbAndWhiskey

It's BTI...they should be available in North America right now. I looked at the BTI catalog last weekend at the shop I used to work at but don't remember the prices.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    It's BTI...they should be available in North America right now. I looked at the BTI catalog last weekend at the shop I used to work at but don't remember the prices.
    BTI is the distributor, the welding is done overseas, but Joe Murray still designs Voodoos just like he did the original. The website is voodoocycles.net, and if you call or email don't be surprised if some guy named Joe answers. And a new shipment came in about 3 weeks ago so most frames (except that pesky 20" 29er--where could that have gone... ) are still available:

http://www.bti-usa.com/list.asp?clas...e1=F&showme2=V
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    If you have a VooDoo Limba, that was welded in the U.S. by Kinesis and at the time nobody but Easton was supplying Scandium/aluminum tubes for bicycles. A welder had to be certified by Easton before they would be supplied with tubes, this assured a very high grade of work in those bikes. Lately a lot of cheaper Scandium tubed bikes have appeared on the market from overseas. I would be a bit leary of them. After all these are typically very light aluminum (w/ some "magic dust") frames. I also have the VooDoo Limba 'cross bike and love it so I can understand your attraction to the Scandium mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    I got one of the new VooDoo Bizango frames and I love it so far. It only has three rides on it yet but it seems way cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apr 2004

Juan Solo

I ride a 2004 Salsa Juan Solo single speed...awesome frame...boom proof as of yet.

mtbr member

the voodoo's...

have excellent geometry and ride quality. cant speak for the scandium but the bizango handles like a dream. i cant imagine a bike handling any better, especially in tight, technical single track. it's also a great climber. im 6ft 2in and 250 lbs and have no "whippy" issues with my voodoo. its laterally stiff(in the bb area also) and vertically compliant, though its not the most compliant steel hardtail ive ever ridden. it is, far and away, the best handling bike ive ever ridden though.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER