The Salsa Fargo Thread - Page 62- Mtbr.com
Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162
Results 6,101 to 6,127 of 6127
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pwhallon View Post
    Hi,

Have any of you put Jones Bars on the Fargo?
    Yes, itís a very long thread, but if you search youíll see many have. I did and really like them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks, I've found a few.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Now I'm off to research suspension forks.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Can anyone help me out with answers regarding the latest incarnation of the Firestarter Carbon fork non boost version.
    Is it a matt or gloss finish? (website says matt)
    Does it have lugs for fenders? (website shows lugs)
    Al steerer or Carbon? (website looks like carbon)
    Best price is from Germany but they are telling me it is a gloss finish without lugs and I should buy the Cutthroat version which if you look on the Salsa website is a different item entirely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    In about a month I am going to be getting a new wheel set for my 2018 Fargo. I am planning to get 29Ēxi30mm rims to replace the 27.5 phatties that came on it. I am also planning on getting a Rohloff (I figure it is required here in Germany) but i still havenít decided on the new tires. Anyone got suggestions. I was thinking Rene Herse (Compass) antelope hill. But that might just be because I like skin walls. So I am open to suggestions in the 50-65mm range. The current 78mm are just to dang much tire to drag along for my 67km commute and I want something faster. But I also like some volume for the cobble stone and gravel sections I traverse as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    In the summer I am using Antelope Hills on WTB Asym I35. Before that I had them on I29s. The wider rims square off the tire and it requires more effort to begin a turn.

I have also used the 29x2.25 (60mm) G-One Speed and like them too. My friends uses the Big Apples on I35 rims on his Fargo and is happy. I prefer the lighter tires. I would consider an extraterrestrial if I was planning a gravel tour.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    In the summer I am using Antelope Hills on WTB Asym I35. Before that I had them on I29s. The wider rims square off the tire and it requires more effort to begin a turn.

I have also used the 29x2.25 (60mm) G-One Speed and like them too. My friends uses the Big Apples on I35 rims on his Fargo and is happy. I prefer the lighter tires. I would consider an extraterrestrial if I was planning a gravel tour.
    Thanks for the feedback. Right now I mostly commute on my Fargo couple hundred KM a week. About 60-75% tarmac the rest gravel. How would you rate those at puncture resistance. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Right now I mostly commute on my Fargo couple hundred KM a week. About 60-75% tarmac the rest gravel. How would you rate those at puncture resistance. Thanks again.
    I commute about 320km a week.
    I got the G-Ones in te middle of summer and had no problems. The next spring I had lots of problems. I think it was a combination of lots of glass left over from winter and trying higher pressures. I was tubeless and the sealant wouldn't work well as the tires stretch increase the pressure. At lower PSI they sealed better.
    I also think the glass doesn't stick and work itself in as much at lower pressures.

I switched to the compass tires mid summer and had no problems but I kept the pressure lower and the trails had been cleared.

I did put Big Apples on my wife's bike as I think they are more puncture resistant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thank you for all the help samwe.

mtbr member
    New shoes for the season, I'll try to have a review on these Compass Antelope Hill 700x55. On the current wheelset they measure out to 2.1

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    New shoes for the season, I'll try to have a review on these Compass Antelope Hill 700x55. On the current wheelset they measure out to 2.1

I will be awaiting this review. May I ask what the rim width you are using is?

mtbr member
    I will be awaiting this review. May I ask what the rim width you are using is?
    Yes sir, it is a WTB ST i23 rim, I believe it is a 23mm internal according to the WTB site, I will double check as I still need to tape up the rim and set up tubeless this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Does this thread still go?

I have a 2016 Fargo X7 that I'm considering converting to a GX Eagle drivetrain. Any reason I shouldn't do that? Technical incompatibilities or clearly better/more cost effective options for upgrading?

I think I'd need to adapt the bottom bracket to SRAM's DUB standard, and also put new Alternator 1.0 plates on the back for 12mm thru axle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

My bike, "Tanque".

Wanted to post the latest photo of my phabulous Phargo. But alas, the system no workee.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Here is my Phat tire Fargo in the wilds of Germany. I have a great commute and the Fargo makes it possible.

Well that and the amazing German trails, bike paths and forest roads.

mtbr member
    how is that Rohloff and SON wheelset going Jeremy? in sight yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I think I have decided against the Son for now but the Rohloff will hopefully get the go ahead later this month if either the rumored bonus or Tax return make an appearance. I will of course post pictures and brag endlessly.

mtbr member
    I would get a SON first and think about the Rohloff, but that is because i allready have a SON 28 in my Surly Big Dummy, i really like it and with the Edelux 2 headlight it does a good job, for my Salsa Fargo that i am building right now i will go with a B+M IQ-X headlight (the one for a E-bike) and a battery pack from Ali, later on i will upgrade towards SON hubdyno and maybe Rohloff, but i am liking deraileurs so much...
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9
    Salsa Fargo under construction

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Shadow View Post
    I would get a SON first and think about the Rohloff, but that is because i allready have a SON 28 in my Surly Big Dummy, i really like it and with the Edelux 2 headlight it does a good job, for my Salsa Fargo that i am building right now i will go with a B+M IQ-X headlight (the one for a E-bike) and a battery pack from Ali, later on i will upgrade towards SON hubdyno and maybe Rohloff, but i am liking deraileurs so much...
    The issue I have with the SON is the money that you sink into and stays with a single bike. I can get a good quality front wheel built with DT-Swiss hub for about 200Ä less than with a SON and the 200Ä will pay for a great Outbound lighting light that I can use on any bike with no fuss. I would rather spend that money on a Rohloff and battery lights where the technology seems to be advancing faster. But mostly Iím cheap and I have to choose and a wanted a Rohloff more because I commute all year and Iím sick of cleaning and replacing chains, gears, and stuff all year.

mtbr member
    I understand, i just enjoy the SON so much, no hassle, just light allways and everywhere, maybe i will add a Rohloff someday...
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

The Salsa Fargo Thread

I understand, i just enjoy the SON so much, no hassle, just light allways and everywhere, maybe i will add a Rohloff someday...
    The other big issue I have is I have never used, or seen a good side by side comparison of the good battery lights with the good Dynamo lights. Maybe they are equivalent maybe one is better I canít find this information anywhere. And i unfortunately donít have that many bike nerd friends to compare with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    The other big issue I have is I have never used, or seen a good side by side comparison of the good battery lights with the good Dynamo lights. Maybe they are equivalent maybe one is better I canít find this information anywhere. And i unfortunately donít have that many bike nerd friends to compare with.
    For a comparison of beam patterns of some of the dynamo and battery headlights you can check
    out

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

He did a comparison of the beam patterns, but as he writes you should check out his descriptions and not go by how bright the beam looks.

mtbr member
    I will use a B+M IQ-Q light in the Ebike version; between 6-60V it will work and put out 150 lux, an insane amount of light. You can find clips of the light on Youtube. I will combine it with a battery pack from Aliexpres, my wife runs a similar setup now and it works like a charm.
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Took a few pics of my Fargo in progress;

The Salsa Fargo Thread-867927e7-b164-4306-a85a-2cedd4fe1ad4.jpgThe Salsa Fargo Thread-873e237c-a8cc-4e50-ab9c-6ae74a333cb3.jpeg

XL frame with all ugly stickers removed, clear coat varnish applied, Hope Headset in orange ( i will be using more orange parts from Hope ) White Industries BB, Thorn 185mm cranks, TA 42-28 rings and bashring, XT FD.
    Avid BB7ís with 200mm front and 180mm rear rotor.
    Have to save up for the next and final batch of parts, wanted to run Gevenalle brifters, but they are in serious trouble and not being able to deliver goods at this time.
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GregMun View Post
    For a comparison of beam patterns of some of the dynamo and battery headlights you can check
    out

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

He did a comparison of the beam patterns, but as he writes you should check out his descriptions and not go by how bright the beam looks.
    I have spent a good chunk of time on his site and do appreciate the photos and descriptions. However there just arenít the comparisons I want there to help me.

mtbr member
    Nothing left to do then - buy them all!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Nothing left to do then - buy them all!
    Time to make my own website. If you canít find it build it.

Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162

Members who have read this thread: 240