Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061
Results 6,001 to 6,074 of 6074
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimmerplatt View Post
    Thanks that looks like a solution. Did you form the top bracket from rod or did you use and existing formed piece that you then modified?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Sorry, for the confusion. That is not my bike. I have a purple one with the fancy new fender mounts.

I think they repurposed some left-over fender mounting struts by bending them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    My wheels have a 35mm inside width.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tempsperdu View Post
    Has anyone managed to fit mudguards/fenders to a 2015 Firestarter fork?
    The regular steel fork on a 2015 Fargo, or the carbon fork?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    The regular steel fork on a 2015 Fargo, or the carbon fork?
    Carbon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    First post, and looking seriously at a new Fargo. I can see here it's cool to have a purple bike! I'm looking at a Rival 1, but would rather have 29+ wheels and tires. LBS said to save up for another set of wheels. Can anyone talk me into the 27.5x3" that comes stock?

Also curious about the drop bars for trail use - they're way more comfortable than flat bars (also tried a Krampus), but how is it braking down hill on a chunkier trail? You would seem to be very low and forward if you are on the front of the drops. I'm curious about Jones H bar, but would then have to change shifters/brake levers. Is this a common mod?

Thanks in advance,
    Slbear

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    My wheels have a 35mm inside width.
    Okay, that should be fine for 2.6" and 2.8". I can generally recommend upper-tier Maxxis tires (EXO, TR, etc.). Like I said, I am ogling the Rekon but depending on the terrain you ride it might not be aggressive enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I've been emailing Salsa, and they just highlighted that the new bikes were announced yesterday: https://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/2019_fargo_apex_1

The Fargo Apex 1 goes to a 29 x 2.6 Maxxis Ikon tire on narrower 30 mm rims. For a few hundred $ more I have the 29er I wanted, but is 2.6 going to give me that plus ride that I liked on the Fargo Rival 1 (27.5 x 3) or Krampus (29 x 3)? Should/can I put a 2.8 or 3.0 tire on those 30 mm rims?

If so, I would be giving up the purple bike I had come around to liking for "Olive" - still deciding about that.

Also still curious if everyone likes the drop bars, or would switch to a Jones H bar if they could?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I like the drop bar, but in the winter it seems like I am always in the drops as I need the leverage in the snow. I am now switching to a Jones for winter use and back to drops in the summer.

If you aren't planning on heading out on a long trip on the first day you can just ride what it comes with and see how you feel about it.

I like the changes they made for 2019. Having boost spacing on both ends is nice if just for consistency.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I like the changes they made for 2019. Having boost spacing on both ends is nice if just for consistency.
    I like the new wheels and didn't notice the boost change. How much of a difference does that make if I'm buying a new wheelset sooner or later?

LBS is offering the 2018 purple now at a substantial discount. Not enough to buy new wheels and tires to match the 2019, but still a big savings. As you suggest with the drop bars, I think I might try it out with the 27.5 +.

Can suggest a specific 2934 wheelset I should consider?. As good as what you would get on the 2019 Fargo, and not crazy expensive. Advice I've gotten is a 30mm rim so I could run up to 2.6 and as thin as ???. The goal would be to compliment the 27.5x3s. The LBS keeps reminding me that stock wheel/tire is the same OD as a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    With a 2018 you can't buy a wheelset as they will both be boost, or both be non-boost, so you have to buy a separate front and rear.
    I have had two hand built wheelsets, both were DT Swiss 350 hubs and WTB Asym rims. The first was i29, and the latest i35.
    I got almost two years out of the first set until I needed to get them trued. I am a big guy and commute 40 miles a day in the summer and less in the winter. For me I was very happy to have zero maintenance wheels with no spoke or bearing issues.

Both of those were in the $7-800 range (shipped to AK). I suspect that any wheelset in that price range will be good, but I only have experience with those.

I am using the i35 rims with my 55mm Compass Antelope Pass tires and they feel and ride great. I see no reason to go narrower.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    27.5+ is the same OD as a 29er tire as long as nobody is sitting on the bike.

I run 57mm wide tires on rims with 30 inner width. If you want to run narrower tires (42 mm - 47mm) I would suggest a rim with 25 inner width. If you want to get 2.6" tires I would get 35mm rims. 30mm would work fine, but with a wider rim you can lower the pressure further without the tires starting to squirm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    27.5+ is the same OD as a 29er tire as long as nobody is sitting on the bike.

I run 57mm wide tires on rims with 30 inner width. If you want to run narrower tires (42 mm - 47mm) I would suggest a rim with 25 inner width. If you want to get 2.6" tires I would get 35mm rims. 30mm would work fine, but with a wider rim you can lower the pressure further without the tires starting to squirm.
    Nimmerplatt May I ask what tires you are running? I have a nearly stock 2018 purple people eater Iím running veeRubber speedsters on right now. 27.5Ēx3. Iím hoping to have a new wheelset built up with a sun28 front dyno and a Alfine 8 in the rear and have been looking at rim tire options. Right now Iím thinking a 30mm inner with compass antelope hill 55. I commute 70km a day in mostly hardback gravel and paved roads. Thank for your help in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I run Schwalbe Marathon Almotion 55-622. They are 57mm wide when set up tubeless. So far I had no issues with punctures. They handle very well on hardpack, but on looser ground you notice the lack of profile. Despite my 100kg I run them at quite low pressures (1.6 - 1.8 bar front, 2.0-2.5 bar back). I tried the recommended pressure for my weight recently (3.5bar), but it didn't roll significantly better and my back took a beating even on rougher tarmac.

Personally I would like to have smaller tires (55-584 or 60-584). They are stiffer, lighter and have less air drag. And on the Fargo you could even reduce the wheelbase a fair bit. Plus the fenders would be smaller and rattle less.

I don't know if anyone around here is running something like that. The only issue might be paddle strikes when cornering.
    Last edited by Nimmerplatt; 09-22-2018 at 03:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Personally I would like to have smaller tires (55-584 or 60-584). They are stiffer, lighter and have less air drag. And on the Fargo you could even reduce the wheelbase a fair bit. Plus the fenders would be smaller and rattle less.

I don't know if anyone around here is running something like that. The only issue might be paddle strikes when cornering.
    Thanks for the reply. I want something that rolls really well on tarmac about 60% of my 70 km daily commute but the hard pack, gravel, and cobblestones that make up the other 40% make me want to stay with as much air volume as my little legs can handle. Like I said Iím currently running Vee Rubber speedsters in the 27.5x3 but I wanna go up to 29x50-65 range. This would allow for fenders and keep a good amount of cushion. I am considering Surly ET or compass antelope hills. But Iím open to options. I love the weight and look of the compass tires are there others available that anyone would recommend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I want something that rolls really well on tarmac about 60% of my 70 km daily commute but the hard pack, gravel, and cobblestones that make up the other 40% make me want to stay with as much air volume as my little legs can handle. Like I said Iím currently running Vee Rubber speedsters in the 27.5x3 but I wanna go up to 29x50-65 range. This would allow for fenders and keep a good amount of cushion. I am considering Surly ET or compass antelope hills. But Iím open to options. I love the weight and look of the compass tires are there others available that anyone would recommend.
    Maxxis Ikons 29x2.2 (on i29) roll plenty fast on tarmac for me, in addition to hooking up well on singletrack. Triple compound, exo sidewall, pucture protection, 680g.They also come in skinwall, which looks smashing on my Forest Service green '18 Fargo.

Edit: Set up tubeless with a floor pump, too.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Maxxis Ikons 29x2.2 (on i29) roll plenty fast on tarmac for me, in addition to hooking up well on singletrack. Triple compound, exo sidewall, pucture protection, 680g.They also come in skinwall, which looks smashing on my Forest Service green '18 Fargo.

Edit: Set up tubeless with a floor pump, too.
    That is a very appealing option I have always liked the Ikons but wasnít sure how they would roll on paved roads since they have a fair bit of tread to them. I love gumwall as well. Thanks for the option. On my current setup i average between 20-25 kph. Iím hoping to bump that up to 25-30 range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Right now Iím thinking a 30mm inner with compass antelope hill 55.
    I have the Antelope Hill on i35 rims, previously had i29s. On the i35 rim they are 61mm at 40 PSI.

I commute 40 miles (64km) per day on asphalt and they are really fast tires. Supple tires are a must when you go big.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Personally I would like to have smaller tires (55-584 or 60-584). They are stiffer, lighter and have less air drag.
    What do you mean by "stiffer"?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I pulled the trigger on a medium purple Fargo Rival 1 27.5+ It will be ready this week at a great LBS near me. Can't wait to get it out on a ride.

I need to make a decision about pedals. I have two bikes with Forte Campus pedals (one side SPD and one side cage. These have been OK, but the traction isn't great on the cage side. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    That is a very appealing option I have always liked the Ikons but wasnít sure how they would roll on paved roads since they have a fair bit of tread to them. I love gumwall as well. Thanks for the option. On my current setup i average between 20-25 kph. Iím hoping to bump that up to 25-30 range.
    I was coming from Ardents and have Bonty SE4s on my FS, so take that into account. The Ikons feel like a road tire to me by comparison. I don't commute as much as you do either. I use the Fargo for commuting (20%), fire roads and unpaved rail trails (40%), and singletrack (40%), so I don't need a more road oriented tire.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    ....I use the Fargo for commuting (20%), fire roads and unpaved rail trails (40%), and singletrack (40%), so I don't need a more road oriented tire.
    Thanks for the context it helps a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Slbear View Post

I need to make a decision about pedals. I have two bikes with Forte Campus pedals (one side SPD and one side cage. These have been OK, but the traction isn't great on the cage side. Any suggestions?
    I use Cranks Brothers double shot on both my Fargo and El Mar. The el mar set is SPD and aluminum flat in the opposite side. The Fargo set is SPD and plastic. The plastic has a bit pointier grip surface than the metal in my opinion. Take it for what itís worth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    What do you mean by "stiffer"?
    Given the same number of spokes, the same spoke tension and so on, a smaller wheel will still be stiffer than a larger one, due to the shorter spokes and slightly reduced angle between the holes in the hub and the holes in the rim. I am not saying there is a large difference. Particularly not if the wheel is well built.

My 29er rear wheel has 36 Alpine III spokes and was built by a company that specializes in wheel building. It is bombproof. Yet... a smaller wheel would be lighter and a bike with shorter wheelbase is more fun. I love my Fargo but it rides a bit like a freight train.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Given the same number of spokes, the same spoke tension and so on, a smaller wheel will still be stiffer than a larger one, due to the shorter spokes and slightly reduced angle between the holes in the hub and the holes in the rim. I am not saying there is a large difference. Particularly not if the wheel is well built.

My 29er rear wheel has 36 Alpine III spokes and was built by a company that specializes in wheel building. It is bombproof. Yet... a smaller wheel would be lighter and a bike with shorter wheelbase is more fun. I love my Fargo but it rides a bit like a freight train.
    I donít have much freight train experience - just yard switching cars in a scrap yard. I had a lot of experience with sports cars, Kenworths and Macks earlier in life. With that in mind I consider our Fargo a Kenworth if our Sutra Ltd. is an all road type station wagon.

The OEM wheels on both bikes will be fine for our purposes and our weight.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member

A freight train that carves turns and rails switchbacks like a trail bike.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I love my Fargo but it rides a bit like a freight train.
    I got a full set of fenders, lights, a rack and "normal" drop bars. My Fargo is set up as a day-to-day and travel bike. As such I could do with slightly smaller tires to make it feel more agile.

Of course you can set it up differently and take it on the trails. But for that purpose I have a carbon hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

27.5 tire questioin

Would there be any issues with running these tires:

Schwalbe G-One All Around Folding Bead Tire 27.5 x 2.80" Performance Line Dual Compound Double Defense.......

.......on a 50mm wide SUNringle Duroc 27.5. (ie 2018 Fargo Rival 1)

Kinda appears that 2.80 is the minimum recommended size in 27.5.

Would they be appropriate tires for pavement?

Another option worth considering would be?

Thanks

UPDATE: I can answer my own question. I've now got the Schwalbe's mounted on both of our 27.5 Fargo's. Work just fine. Roll fast and quiet.

Last edited by bopfan68; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:46 PM.

mtbr member
    I got a full set of fenders, lights, a rack and "normal" drop bars. My Fargo is set up as a day-to-day and travel bike. As such I could do with slightly smaller tires to make it feel more agile.

Of course you can set it up differently and take it on the trails. But for that purpose I have a carbon hardtail.
    Still don't get the freight train comparison. If you had said that about my former Long Haul Trucker, I would have agreed wholeheartedly. The Fargo handles like a mountain bike, imo.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    On her first trail.

I'm still trying to get this dialed in. This is a medium frame. I'm 5' 9 and some change. When I stand over the tube I just barely touch it with my crotch.

I'm having some issues with my junk going tingly.

I next tried a Specialized Power saddle along with a cham. and that made everything go to sleep.. never tingled, just flat out asleep. You know when you fall asleep on your arm and it's so asleep you can't feel when you're touching it with your other hand. That kind of asleep I noticed around 10th mile.

I'm considering trying a Selle Anatomica next... it's sort of expensive to swap saddles around.

To be clear, the specialized saddle and chamois combo felt like it wasn't there at all. No discomfort, and it took a while for me to realize I couldn't feel my johnson or high up the inside of my thigh for that matter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_0895-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Still don't get the freight train comparison. If you had said that about my former Long Haul Trucker, I would have agreed wholeheartedly. The Fargo handles like a mountain bike, imo.
    My dropouts are pulled all the way back. If I compare the XL LHT to the XL Fargo my chainstay is 2mm longer and the wheelbase is 66,7mm longer. The head tube angle is 69į is instead of 72į on the LHT. Furthermore I have a heavy/sturdy wheelset based on E-MTB components with tires that weight a whopping 910g according to Schwalbe. My Fargo can carry me (100 kg) and at least 20 kg of groceries without starting to wobble like it predecessors, but it does not carve corners like yours.

@UNAUTHORIZED: If they are available where you live I can recommend SQLab Ergowave (611 / 612) active. I prefer the 612 since it has less padding. "Active" refers to models that can move a little with the riders motion. Setting the saddle up will take a couple of rides. But once they are dialed in, they are brilliant. The step design means minimal pressure on the soft parts.

On the other hand my experience with leather saddles and Brooks Cambium has not been very positive. Leather is too much of a hassle und the C19 Carved pinched me with every turn of the crank.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    My dropouts are pulled all the way back. If I compare the XL LHT to the XL Fargo my chainstay is 2mm longer and the wheelbase is 66,7mm longer. The head tube angle is 69į is instead of 72į on the LHT. Furthermore I have a heavy/sturdy wheelset based on E-MTB components with tires that weight a whopping 910g according to Schwalbe. My Fargo can carry me (100 kg) and at least 20 kg of groceries without starting to wobble like it predecessors, but it does not carve corners like yours.

@UNAUTHORIZED: If they are available where you live I can recommend SQLab Ergowave (611 / 612) active. I prefer the 612 since it has less padding. "Active" refers to models that can move a little with the riders motion. Setting the saddle up will take a couple of rides. But once they are dialed in, they are brilliant. The step design means minimal pressure on the soft parts.

On the other hand my experience with leather saddles and Brooks Cambium has not been very positive. Leather is too much of a hassle und the C19 Carved pinched me with every turn of the crank.
    Thanks for the tip, this saddle never even crossed my radar.

I know and another thing about leather is the fact it can't take too much weather. I want a no fuss saddle

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by UNAUTHORIZED View Post
    Thanks for the tip, this saddle never even crossed my radar.

I know and another thing about leather is the fact it can't take too much weather. I want a no fuss saddle
    I sat on my Brooks B17 in some sweaty sports wear and afterwards it was skewed to one side and stayed that way. Despite generous amounts of saddle fat.
    That can't happen with the Cambiums, but they still put a fair bit of load on your soft parts.

I also have a Specialized Romin and a Phenom. The Romin also works well for reducing numbness, but it also gave me sores. (That might be specific to me.) And if you tried the Specialized Power, these might not solve your issue.

Like I said setting up the SQLabs can be tricky. But just keep an Allen key on hand on your first rides. Compared to my other saddles they need to be positioned more forward by 2 or 3 centimeters.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I sat on my Brooks B17 in some sweaty sports wear and afterwards it was skewed to one side and stayed that way. Despite generous amounts of saddle fat.
    That can't happen with the Cambiums, but they still put a fair bit of load on your soft parts.

I also have a Specialized Romin and a Phenom. The Romin also works well for reducing numbness, but it also gave me sores. (That might be specific to me.) And if you tried the Specialized Power, these might not solve your issue.

Like I said setting up the SQLabs can be tricky. But just keep an Allen key on hand on your first rides. Compared to my other saddles they need to be positioned more forward by 2 or 3 centimeters.
    Yeah, the saddle I have on the bike ride now is the Specialized Power Expert

And I actually like it, I almost forget its there at all.

So I'm unsure what made me go so numb.. Sometimes I get that same, but not as intense, numbness when driving a car long distance or sitting in a chair .. maybe it's just time to hit up the Chiropractor again...

I also wonder (because I'm pretty much a novice) if I've set the seat too high, or too forward or aft. Since I don't exactly have experience to reference against, I'm guessing.

I also looked deeply at the ISM saddles, which I still might try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    If it also happens in the car checking with a chiropractor and/or urologist might be a good idea.

About saddles:
    - check that the saddle is wide enough so that you sit on your bones rather than your perineum
    - check that your feet are positioned correctly on the paddles. The force should push directly onto the paddle axle.
    - when the crank is at the 3 o'clock position the knee should be above the pedal axle. If your saddle is too far back you lose power, if it is too far forward you might get knee issues (over time).
    - If the saddle is too low, that is also bad for the knees. If is too high, you might get problems in the back because your hip is tilting sideways with every rotation. It also might cause numbness issues. A good way to test, would be to lower the saddle incrementally to see if that influences your comfort levels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Might be worth the effort/money/relief to get a bike fitting. It's possible that a trained fitter will be able to make a small adjustment that will make a huge difference in your comfort levels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have the Antelope Hill on i35 rims, previously had i29s. On the i35 rim they are 61mm at 40 PSI.

I commute 40 miles (64km) per day on asphalt and they are really fast tires. Supple tires are a must when you go big.
    Can you tell me if you run tubeless or not? I know my roads here near Stuttgart Germany are different but how have they been against flats?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bopfan68 View Post
    Might be worth the effort/money/relief to get a bike fitting. It's possible that a trained fitter will be able to make a small adjustment that will make a huge difference in your comfort levels.
    Another good idea.

I've been visiting my local bike shops sort of.. testing them out... and so far on each visit, they've failed so badly, I can't hardly trust them.

For instance, I went to one and asked them to align my BB7 brakes with the discs and to also draw the handles in a little. The girl drew the handles in, didn't align to the rotors at all, and also failed to let any cable loose.. so they grabbed/rubbed right out the door. Not only that, she drew the handles in SO far that the shifter nailed the handlebars badly. I knew exactly how to do it, I wanted to know if THEY knew. I didn't correct her, I just went home and fixed it.

Shop 2, "Hi, I'd like a new saddle" -- dude behind the counter "They are all over there" points to wall and walks off apathetically Okkkayy... nevermind then I guess..

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Have you run out of bike shops yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bopfan68 View Post
    Have you run out of bike shops yet?
    Luckily, I live near a large city with a large biking community.. I'm 3 shops down, now looking deeper into the city.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have an old fqrgo style deadwood which i've been riding with a jones h bar. I'm thinking about trying it with a drop bar with bar end shifters but noticed when i twist the bars the ends (and the sifters) hit the top tube square on.

Does anyone have experience of this?

I'm not just concerned about it damaging the nice frame but also the possibility of wrecking my shifters halfway through a trip

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    WTB: 2015 Salsa Fargo frame small in Bomb Pop Blue

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slbear View Post
    shimano a530, the flat side is pretty nice.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Shimano DEORE XT PD-T8000 are pretty good. Due to the screws the flat side is very good even when it gets wet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I ended up going with the XT PD-M8020 Trail Pedal, and found them on sale at Jenson. Just put them on and rode around the block. Something's wrong with the right clip-in so I need to check the adjustment or cleat clearance.

The LBS where I picked up my Fargo convinced me to go full clipless, and I decided to stick with Shimano because it's the system I've known for years. I thought the Crank Bros Double Shots looked good otherwise

The A530 does look interesting. I guess it didn't get on my radar because it's a "road" pedal?

With a new bike in the garage and me stuck at work, I'm researching bikepacking gear. Anyone like the Salsa EXP HT Frame bag or another brand in particular for the Fargo? The Wonderlust Divide also looks like a good fit. There's so many choices for custom bags, and Rogue Panda is on my short list.

At least I got to ride my ebike to work, and almost time to commute home! I which I had another Salsa or Surley to retrofit this motor on to. Is that blasphemy around here?

The Salsa Fargo Thread-ebike.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    My new frame required new wheels (cracked chainstays on 2015 QR frame, 2018 warranty replacement was TA).
    I took the old wheels in to get them trued so I could put them on my wife's Fargo. It turns out that the rear wheel (WTB Asym i29) had cracked eyelets. I am going to have them replace it with a like rim. I think she will be easier on them than I was. Those wheels never went off road as they were my day to day commuting rims and I had others for weekend single track.

I am going to have to learn not to peddle so hard...

mtbr member
    Salsa calls the new Fargo series compatible for 29 Plus. But I am skeptical. Are 3.0 tires on 50mm rims really possible? Greetings from Germany
    '12 Cannondale Scalpel 29 (custom, 1x11)
    '03 Cannondale 1FG Ultra Single Speed with Lefty Carbon, Rohloff Speedhub 500/14

mtbr member

29 Plus ??

Salsa calls the new Fargo series compatible for 29 Plus. But I am skeptical. Are 3.0 tires on 50mm rims really possible?
    Greetings from Germany
    '12 Cannondale Scalpel 29 (custom, 1x11)
    '03 Cannondale 1FG Ultra Single Speed with Lefty Carbon, Rohloff Speedhub 500/14

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Been searching for an all surface touring bike for a while and going round in circles between various Surlys (ECR, KM, Krampus, Ogre), Jones and Tumbleweed Prospector. Not sure why I didn't look at Salsa before and the Fargo looks like a winner. Multiple wheel size options, preferred drop bar for long distance, convertible drop outs and a reasonable 'mid range' price for a steel f&f.
    Off road I'd say my riding style is steady and never been a single track trail shredder, more bimbling around on farm and forest tracks so Fargo looks ideal for what I need.
    Just a couple of questions. For some reason I've always had a (probably irrational) dislike for bolt on drop outs. Anyone ever had any issues with these? I'm guessing they must be fine or Salsa wouldn't continue using them.
    Also I will eventually go Rohloff. Anyone have experience with them or other IGH (Alfine??) on a Fargo? Any issues?
    Is anyone running a front rack on the Fargo carbon forks? If so which one?
    Any input greatly received.
    Cheers
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexBoyUK View Post
    Been searching for an all surface touring bike for a while and going round in circles between various Surlys (ECR, KM, Krampus, Ogre), Jones and Tumbleweed Prospector. Not sure why I didn't look at Salsa before and the Fargo looks like a winner. Multiple wheel size options, preferred drop bar for long distance, convertible drop outs and a reasonable 'mid range' price for a steel f&f.
    Off road I'd say my riding style is steady and never been a single track trail shredder, more bimbling around on farm and forest tracks so Fargo looks ideal for what I need.
    Just a couple of questions. For some reason I've always had a (probably irrational) dislike for bolt on drop outs. Anyone ever had any issues with these? I'm guessing they must be fine or Salsa wouldn't continue using them.
    Also I will eventually go Rohloff. Anyone have experience with them or other IGH (Alfine??) on a Fargo? Any issues?
    Cheers
    Chris
    Make sure you actually test ride the Fargo before you buy. The stack on that bike is so high I feel cramped by the handlebars, and the top tube and headtube felt like they were in the way. Even on a bike that is too big. I guess I don't like super high stack roadish geometry.

If a Fargo isn't available to test, a Journeyman and a Vaya will give that same feeling (for reach and cockpit space).

Personally, I'd choose between the KM and the ECR. Most versatile, best handling. ECR is a little stiffer on the road than the KM. So a better long tourer. KM works for everything, though. I don't know if the KM handles better offroad than the ECR. I didn't try the ECR offroad. Ogre is a great bike. But doesn't feel very lively compared to those two. Very steady. (I have a KM, btw).

The Jones also had too high a stack for me when I tested one, and I don't know anything about the Prospector. But all the others, I have at least tested. (And owned two). The ECR was a brief ride, but a friend of mine who owns one describes it as stiffer, and they really do know these bikes. Another friend owns a bike touring (Surly) shop, and their choice is also an ECR. In fact, they just got back from a South American tour on an ECR. They describe it as feeling very 'planted' descending rocky trails.

I did have a Krampus, and I think 29+ is good for some people and some types of riding, but 29+ is bit cumbersome and unnecessary for touring. (Unless you are super tall). Also, the bottom bracket height on that bike is so high that I felt unsteady while dismounting. A lot of that was because I dismount on the right side, and I've had a right knee reconstruction, so it made me nervous everytime. But I don't feel that way on the KM at all, and I had regular 29er velocity blunt wheels on the Krampus with Maxxis Ardents (2.4') that I had transferred to the KM. Can't imagine it on regular 3" tires. Though I loved that bike, otherwise. Mine was from 2015, and had few cage bosses. Might be better now. In fact, I think it is. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike, but I don't really consider it wonderful for touring.

Caveat: I would have kept the Krampus, but I needed a medium, and had a small.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 10-19-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Cheers
    Chris
    as someone who has owned 7 surlys (moonlander,ict,krampus,km,cc,straggler,ogre) and now has 3 salsas (bucksaw,fargo,ti timberjack) i feel i have formed a fair opinion of both brands...

but you asked about the fargo....
    personally i love mine....somehow it combines lively handling on the trails with smooth steadiness on the road,be it paved or dirt. i find it to be very comfortable to ride for long periods,the woodchipper bars actually make sense on the fargo,tried them with other bikes but the high stack puts them in just the right spot to keep my back comfy....can't really think of anything i dislike about the bike and the way it rides...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    i feel i have formed a fair opinion of both brands...
    Thanks for that Hamsterspam. Sounds like you are really taken with the Fargo. So whats your opinion of the Surly offerings? I have also been through a few Surlys, mostly road apart from Pug and Wednesday. What I'm trying to do right now is find a 'keeper' for all surface long distance riding. Have road covered with a LHT and Pack Rat and SS Stooge for messing around on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    honestly,and it pains me to say it,but i could sell 2 of my last three surly's ( ICT and straggler) and not really miss them....not to say they aren't great bikes but once i got the salsas i more or less stopped riding the surlys...in part that has to do with the nature of the riding here in this corner of the southwest...fat bikes are great fun,but the places where it really comes in handy just aren't that fun to ride in,and where fat tires are needful tends to be far away from the house and the penalty of lugging the big tires around isn't made up for in the parts where they are useful...and as far as the straggler,i love that bike,but our dirt roads suck and the fargo is way more comfy and handles better in the sand and rocks,and for that matter the paved roads are no picnic so even there the fargo is more comfy to ride with the big tires...

mind you,i put thousands of miles on my surlys,and until i got my first salsa i wouldn't have even considered giving them up.but now i can see that i kept buying new ones to address issues i had with them...in part i think the salsas have taken over due to things like updated geometry and thru axles,and my own evolving needs from a bike,but also in part because the salsas really seem to nail fitting the geo to their intended purpose more so than the surlys where the surlys are more jack of all trades which to me means they don't do any one thing particularly well...

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Cheers
    Chris
    I'm still new-bike stoked with my Fargo Rival 1 27.5+. I thought about the Jones, and rode the Krampus and Fargo back and forth at the LBS before deciding. The Krampus felt sluggish compared to the Fargo to me - the Fargo much more lively. I also rode a Journeyman, and the stackup might be similar, but the bike rides completely different, which I attributed to frame/fork material and tire size. The Fargo blows it away. When reading up and watching videos about the Jones bike, I realized I probably fall in that category that it would just make me dissatisfied that I didn't get the real custom Jones bike, even though it's not in my budget currently. I would like to ride a Jones bike sometime.

I won't speak to the dropouts, and I'm not planning on a front rack, but I know it supports it. I like the look of that rack on the Trek 1120, but suppose that fits custom Trek mounting points. I'm looking at the Salsa Anything Cradle to strap gear to the handlebars. I will also look at the Anything cages for the front forks, but expect I'll move my water bottles there and go with a full-frame pack instead for bikepacking.

BTW.. you described my riding style well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I put about 9000 miles on my Fargo before I broke the frame and never had any issue with the dropouts.

I have never used a front rack. I tried the Surly Nice rack, but it had very little tire clearance. I have mostly used anything cages, frame bags and panniers.

The Fargo may not be the right bike for everyone, but for some of us it is the perfect bike. I had just started getting into biking when I saw an AWOL and it caught my eye. I test rode it and liked it. The guys at the shop suggested I the Fargo and I LOVED it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Due to the stiffness of the through-axles it is quite easy to set the dropouts up the way you want them. Afterwards you can basically forget about them. They give you additional freedom in setting up your bike (running a belt, tensioning the chain for an IGH, short/long wheelbase, smaller/larger tire), the only downside being some additional wight.

The problem might be finding a good front rack that fits the fork. The only ones I found were adjustable to fat bikes, and were quite heavy. The fork mounts are made with the Anything Cage in mind. Apart from the silly price they are decent solution. Personally I just carry additional water in normal cages on the fork. That already influences the steering.

On my Surly I used to run my large Ortlieb bags on a tubus low-rider. That numbed the steering quite a bit and the aerodynamic effect was very noticeable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Has anyone tried the Oveja Negra Bootlegger fork bags? It's maybe half the volume of the Anything bag, but doesn't require a separate cage. It would seem to work for water or other small/stuffable items.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

The Salsa Fargo Thread

I gotta say I love my Fargo. At first I wasnít sure how Iíd do with the drop bars and honestly considered going to the Jones H-bar, but they have grown on me. I might even say I love the wood chippers now. So for now the plan is to leave it as is, well I may need to find some 27.5+ snow tires soon.

I have made a deal with my wife if I keep up the bike commute 3 days a week through the winter I can get new 29er rims 30mm iw with a Son 28 in the front and a Rohloff speed hub in the back. I mean I do live in Germany now so I should get a few German souvenirs right. 🤪

Besides these pretty pictures and the memories of these awesome bike paths and trails.

Last edited by jeremy_burke; 10-20-2018 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I gotta say I love my Fargo. At first I wasnít sure how Iíd do with the drop bars and honestly considered going to the Jones H-bar, but they have grown on me. I might even say I love the wood chippers now. So for now the plan is to leave it as is, well I may need to find some 27.5+ snow tires soon.

I have made a deal with my wife if I keep up the bike commute 3 days a week through the winter I can get new 29er rims 30mm iw with a Son 28 in the front and a Rohloff speed hub in the back. I mean I do live in Germany now so I should get a few German souvenirs right.

Besides these pretty pictures and the memories of these awesome bike paths and trails.

The deal with your wife should be a Fargo for her. Sheís taken over mine and all of us are happy with it.

A friend has Jones bars but weíve gotten accustomed to the standard bars. It can take a bit to be comfy with the brakes in upper position.

29r wheels and 2.2 tires have proven perfect for us. We like true fat bikes or the way 29 is a lot of tire and overall lighter and speedy. For your German theme, Conti Race King 2.2 have ended up being all road bike favorites. My wife is kind of a perfect product tester. She is not too gear oriented and just figures out or knows what works well. She likes those on and off of pavement.

We have SRAM gears hanging out drivetrain but my wifeís cousin maybe near you in Luxembourg is a big fan of the Rohloff. He is more of an any surface tourer than MTB rider and swears by his Rohloffs and waterproof Ortlieb bags.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Jeremy
    I used to work just outside Boblingen and stayed in the town.
    Pretty area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I need to catch up on all the posts over the last few months, but I have been using a Quad Lock with my Fargo '17 for my phone. However, since my stem is too short, I can't mount it there. I mounted it next to the stem on the handlebars, and when I hit the bumps (bad roads here), it keeps tilting backwards or forwards. Pretty annoying. Does anyone know if the Out Front mount, or the new Out Front Pro work better?
    Last edited by angelescrest; 10-23-2018 at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    The deal with your wife should be a Fargo for her. Sheís taken over mine and all of us are happy with it.

29r wheels and 2.2 tires have proven perfect for us. We like true fat bikes or the way 29 is a lot of tire and overall lighter and speedy. For your German theme, Conti Race King 2.2 have ended up being all road bike favorites. My wife is kind of a perfect product tester. She is not too gear oriented and just figures out or knows what works well. She likes those on and off of pavement.

We have SRAM gears hanging out drivetrain but my wifeís cousin maybe near you in Luxembourg is a big fan of the Rohloff. He is more of an any surface tourer than MTB rider and swears by his Rohloffs and waterproof Ortlieb bags.
    Getting one for my wife is a lovely idea, however as much as she likes me riding and staying in shape it just isnít for her. We have plenty of other fun together including seeing this beautiful place we live in now.

Thanks as well for the tips on tires and gears.

Here are a few more recent pictures. My sister is visiting from the states and brought me my new Revelate designs tangle bag too. Still need to rearrange the water bottle mount but itís getting there.

I didnít bike to this one but a recent shot from a castle visit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Did a little cleaning and greasing today on my Fargo. I had to do a little touch up painting with clear nail polish on a pretty big chip on the bottom bracket.

Then took my el Mariachi for a ride around town. It was a great day. Iím still getting to know the town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I want to move to Germany! I got to visit Flensburg last November and loved it. Where did you move from? How did you do it?! Was it for work?
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20181106_123704856.jpgThe Salsa Fargo Thread-img_20181106_120028446.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by buell View Post
    I want to move to Germany! I got to visit Flensburg last November and loved it. Where did you move from? How did you do it?! Was it for work?
    We moved from the Portland Oregon area and yes it was for work. My former employer was purchased by my current one. I am here for a few years to help with a technology transfer. I am learning German, not fast enough, but it has been great to get the experience of a new place.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Is anyone using a SRAM X7 2x10 low clamp FD?
    I have a direct mount FD with a high clamp that takes up half the seat tube and spans the bottom cage mounts.
    Just wondering if the low clamp option works or do the cage mounts get in the way?
    Any other low clamp options?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    We moved from the Portland Oregon area and yes it was for work. My former employer was purchased by my current one. I am here for a few years to help with a technology transfer. I am learning German, not fast enough, but it has been great to get the experience of a new place.
    Well I'm officially jealous.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    Back on the salsa gang, bought a Fargo for what someone would say a good deal? Others a sgood steal

Came with a Thomson post seat back and a brroks saddle, swapped that out for straight post and fabric saddle

Played with a 29x2.6 wheelset I have, looks good, need to get rid of that ugly tape and play with the bar setup, woop! BlackFriday deal

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

...big and slow
    Been a journey for sure, but picked up my 2018 Fargo a couple of days ago and feel like Iíve found the perfect bike for me. Still have a few things to change like putting a brown Brooks Flyer on in place of the black one. Will get more familiar with the bike before making tire changes but that will be the next thing to swap out.

Previous rides were a 1st year Mukluk 2 and 1st year Beargrease (BG has a new home in Iowa with my cousin). 7 years ago I needed the floatation provided by fat tires, but situations have changed and though Iíll always love Fatbikes, I simply donít have the need that I once did for one.

Like many, I was torn between the Vaya and Fargo. A couple of days in, I now know I made the right choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chromey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromehorn View Post
    Been a journey for sure, but picked up my 2018 Fargo a couple of days ago and feel like Iíve found the perfect bike for me. Still have a few things to change like putting a brown Brooks Flyer on in place of the black one. Will get more familiar with the bike before making tire changes but that will be the next thing to swap out.

Previous rides were a 1st year Mukluk 2 and 1st year Beargrease (BG has a new home in Iowa with my cousin). 7 years ago I needed the floatation provided by fat tires, but situations have changed and though Iíll always love Fatbikes, I simply donít have the need that I once did for one.

Like many, I was torn between the Vaya and Fargo. A couple of days in, I now know I made the right choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice choice bro and glad you got the right bike, I was a bit on the same boat, but I love my Fargo

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    New bling for my 2018 Fargo:

Rogue Panda rolltop custom frame bag. Gray and dark camo xpac with my Cal flag bear. Nick and Robert patiently helped me decide on the the fabrics and design, and finished it quickly. I was lucky to be spending Thanksgiving week in Arizona and stopped by Flagstaff on my way from the Grand Canyon to Sedona.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-bear-bag.jpg

The Salsa Fargo Thread-panda-bag.jpg

I also picked up a Bedrock Bag Tapeats handlebar bag and a Rockgeist Honeypot Feedbag, that match perfectly.

The Salsa Fargo Thread-stems.jpg

This was a big purchase for me, but I'll be looking to round out my bikepacking gear in the new year with at least a seat bag.

Heathen

Convert to shimano/boost

I have the 2018 GX 29. I absolutely loath the SRAM double tap shifters. Now with the new boost spaced forks I'm thinking about a new fork and drivetrain.

Has anyone here converted a Fargo to a Shimano road group (thinking 105 shifters/Ultegra RX rear/XT front) and through axle boost wheels?

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061

Members who have read this thread: 268