Salsa Dos Niner- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa Dos Niner

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

No good Salsa Dos Niner

Frameset:Salsa Dos-Niner 29" scandium softtail sold at an inflated price, buyer to be only to be deflated, not elated!
    The softtail technology is 80's, copied from Moots and Dean, the ride is a letdown, shock is harsh, an aluminum hardtail reinvented, brought to market, then subjected to dealer markups as ordered by the manufacturer. No wonder Ross Schaefer bailed!

Recovering couch patato
    So, have you ridden one, how was it? Who's Ross Schaefer?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Who's Ross Schaefer?
    Dunno but Ross Shafer founded (and sold) Salsa Cycles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan
    Frameset:Salsa Dos-Niner 29" scandium softtail sold at an inflated price, buyer to be only to be deflated, not elated!
    The softtail technology is 80's, copied from Moots and Dean, the ride is a letdown, shock is harsh, an aluminum hardtail reinvented, brought to market, then subjected to dealer markups as ordered by the manufacturer. No wonder Ross Schaefer bailed!
    Thanks for the informative unbiased review!! Great contribution to the board!!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    Thanks for the informative unbiased review!! Great contribution to the board!!
    Mozart, that was too easy. You have to rap it like the original poster did. Here's my shot:

The whole point of the board
    Is to try out the stuff
    You won't be ignored
    If you tell us it's all rough

But first give it a try
    And don't just give it a guess
    You won't be denied
    If you tell us it's the bes[t]...
    Or less

Yeah BOYEEEE!

Does anyone know how to beatbox?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Where's Toto?
    So do you own one? Did you ride one?

I don't like the price fixing either - was ready to order one from S-goat until the price went up nearly $300 overnight. That has nothing to do with the design, handling, or construction of the frame though, rather the unfair mafioso tactics of the company selling it.

Now my intentions are to order from one of the smaller, core 29er builders with a proven track record - who freakin rides (a 29er!)..

Jan 2004
    So NO other manufaturers make suggestions for their prices? Ever see Chris King stuff waaay under MSRP or Speedplay at one of the internet clearing houses. A dealer has to jump through a lot of hoops these days to carry CK. Don't blame Salsa (QBP) for having a dealer agreement. Most companies carry agreements wtih their dealer to protect LBS from internet prices and portect the value of their product. If you weren't quick enough to pick up a good deal don't complain and don't blame Salsa for trying to protect the little guy.

If you have ridden a production version of the Dos Niner great give us an actual ride report.

Why would anyone ride a Karate Monkey it is just 1800's steel hardtail technology reinvinted.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Mozart, that was too easy. You have to rap it like the original poster did. Here's my shot:

The whole point of the board
    Is to try out the stuff
    You won't be ignored
    If you tell us it's all rough

But first give it a try
    And don't just give it a guess
    You won't be denied
    If you tell us it's the bes[t]...
    Or less

Yeah BOYEEEE!

Does anyone know how to beatbox?

LOL!

I like the idea, that you're throwin'
    It's the way this board, should be goin'
    From now on, when we talk about bikes
    You gotta say it like...
    Yikes! I wish I knew the name of a modern rapper
    I'm more from the era of MC Hammer!
    [parachute pants flapping] Here we go here we go! Here we go here we go!
    Last edited by Nat; 02-20-2005 at 03:49 PM.

Recovering couch patato
    If you want an opinion, but really have none
    Move y'azz online and get it done
    Pick a random topic that we're rapping
    Reply just to bang it, give it a slapping
    Why wait for reviews on which to base it
    Ya don't need to reason, just type down yo sh!t

My b*tch is hot, ya know like a chilly
    Green like my grass with nice bumpy azz
    She's tight like you know she can't take anymore pimp
    High porch and airbags the size of a blimp
    Crazy light frame, uh! not too cheesy
    I dig her, much more than a squichy

That too much?
    Last edited by Cloxxki; 02-20-2005 at 10:15 AM. Reason: metrum mismatch
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

get down!
    wow...what happened to this board over the weekend
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by heenan
    If you weren't quick enough to pick up a good deal don't complain and don't blame Salsa for trying to protect the little guy.
    Which little guy are they trying to protect? The one in China making the frames for a dollar an hour?

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    So, have you ridden one, how was it? Who's Ross Schaefer?

tssss... shame on you... Klok!
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

Living the thug life.

Whaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Yeah, Salsa really showed us!! They made retailers sell at retail. I think it is all part of their master plan to sell less bikes. AND they did not consult me on the color. THOSE SOB'S!!!!!!

It is really amazing to see people start whining because they can't get the deal they feel they are entitled to. YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO GET THINGS AT A CERTAIN COST!!! You can say, "Yeah that sucks for us they enforced the retail price so that bike shops would have a chance against internet clearance houses". But, to act like you are entitled to get the bike at a discount is asinine. What you are entitled to is to not purchase the bike. You are adding nothing constructive.

That being said. I have known Mike Reimer "Salsa Marketing Dude" since I was racing back in 1994. He was not a hot shot racer, just a guy who loved mountain bikes. If I were Ross I would have no problem with a guy like Mike promoting the Salsa brand.

Also, I have seen the bike up close which is more than the original poster on here has probably seen it. That is a sweet bike. I am purchasing a GF 29'er right now, but would have bought the Salsa if I had a little more cash. I did however purchase a Las Cruces this weekend at their open house (Dealers only: I kinda work for one still)

Alright, so he may not be a fan
    But someone here has to take a stand
    I've ridden with many all over this land
    But none more annoying than buggymancan

He is the kinda guy that does not say please
    Gets mad that he didn't get more gov't cheese
    So outta shape that his post made him wheez
    Still mad cause he can't geet rid of his fleas

Get'n mad is not what I wanna
    But buggymancan got me hot like a sauna
    He's all upset, just ask his mama
    Cause he was put in his place by the stunna Jo Mama

Peace out ya'll,

Jo Mama

no fat chicks
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    Which little guy are they trying to protect? The one in China making the frames for a dollar an hour?
    no....the independent bike dealers that put more people on bikes, day in, day out.
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    As I understand it the Dos NIner is made in Taiwan. From what I here, the frame welders in Taiwan are respected craftsman who make a reasonably fair wage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I guess the original poster

Isn't gonna buy one,but I really like it and I'm having trouble resisting it.I want one...

dan
    no signature

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by heenan
    So NO other manufaturers make suggestions for their prices? Ever see Chris King stuff waaay under MSRP or Speedplay at one of the internet clearing houses. A dealer has to jump through a lot of hoops these days to carry CK. Don't blame Salsa (QBP) for having a dealer agreement. Most companies carry agreements wtih their dealer to protect LBS from internet prices and portect the value of their product. If you weren't quick enough to pick up a good deal don't complain and don't blame Salsa for trying to protect the little guy.
    I am guessing the wholesale price of the Dos Niner was raised. If it was not Speedgoat was basically giving the frames away at ~$750.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I am guessing the wholesale price of the Dos Niner was raised. If it was not Speedgoat was basically giving the frames away at ~$750.
    I think it is too much $$ for what you are getting

Just my two.......cents

what a joke
    Hey buggyman......If its to expensive don't buy it, if you think its an out of date design....dont buy it. Sheeesh

Tell us what they should have made to please you.
    blah blah blah

rider
    I think we'd all prefer to buy one at $750 - $799. I missed the boat on that price - my bad. Will I buy it now at $1000+ ? Most likely not. The killer bang for the buck at the low price was a huge factor for me. I'm sorry I wasted the time investigating and not putting my order through for a custom steel frame.

Although... someone mentioned on a thread that the suggested/advertised price might be just that. Maybe the dealers will sell for less??

Recovering couch patato
    Very maybe dealers will make you feel like you paid $750 for the frame, as long as you take an XTR gruppo and Reba alog with it, at shop price. $750 is a strange price, probably based on a typo in wholesale pricing or something. Compared with other Salsa's that would just be a crazy pricepoint.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Jun 2004

Hummm

Maybe I'm missing something here but if you think it's old reinvented technology why are you so upset about what is in reality a resonable price. You shouldn't even care what the price is on the frame since it's something you shouldn't even want!! What's the real issue here? Did you wait and miss a good deal and now your mad at Salsa and everyone else because you can't get what you think is a bargain buy on what the reports I've read say is a very good 29er. I wonder who you really need to be mad at?

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenseltz
    What's the real issue here? Did you wait and miss a good deal and now your mad at Salsa and everyone else because you can't get what you think is a bargain buy on what the reports I've read say is a very good 29er. I wonder who you really need to be mad at?
    I fessed up as I stated above:

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSwami.com
    I think we'd all prefer to buy one at $750 - $799. I missed the boat on that price - my bad.
    Did I change my mind on buying? At this point, Yes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

lay off buggyman

It sounds like he rode it, and even if he hadn't, it's reasonable to make some conclusions about the design. If we had to personally experience everything to claim knowledge, there would be no need for books, schools or mtbr...we'd be doomed to reintroductions of the Trek STP, Specialized Ground Control, and the dozens of other soft tails that used to be available.