Salsa Dos Niner- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa Dos Niner

May 2005

Salsa Dos Niner

Does anyone have any experience with the Salsa Cycles Dos Niner frame? I'm most likely going to get it to build as a race bike, but I want to see what people who have used it or been around it think.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch303
    Does anyone have any experience with the Salsa Cycles Dos Niner frame? I'm most likely going to get it to build as a race bike, but I want to see what people who have used it or been around it think.
    I just got one to build up to hold me until my Mooto-X is built and will report on it later this week. If you do a search on this forum you will find a lot of info as this has been discussed many times. The opinions on the Dos Niner are all over the map. The 2006 model will apparently address some of the concerns but I opted to just go ahead and get the 05 since I needed it quickly.

May 2005
    Any ideas as to when the '06 will be out? I work for a dealer, and QBP's computers tell me that my size only has two left in stock. I'm not in a rush, but I don't want to wait forever, either.

I think it's what I'm looking for, though... light, fast, and just a little bit easier on my massive frame than a hardtail.

Awesome! Totally awesome!
    Jan 2004
    I'm all for it. I've got about two hundred miles on mine so far, and it's great. The frame is unbelievable. I really like how a softail(29er of course!) rides. This bike feels/is faster than my old NRS, hands down.

Some raised concerns on tire clearance. I think it's a relevant issue, but I don't plan on running thick rubber on this ride as the Relish shock takes the edge off just fine for me.

Speedgoat.com has some schweet deals going on now as well...
    "Gimme a pack of 'low birth weights.'"

Jun 2004
    Any ideas as to when the '06 will be out?
    QBP told me today that the 06's would be available in "a couple of months." In bike industry speak that could mean tomorrow or next year. QBP, IMHO, is a class act and if they have an exact ship date they'll give it to you.

rider
    Jan 2005

'05 Dos?

If you think you will ever want to run a rear tire bigger than 2.1 you might want to wait for the '06. Also, some big and heavy Dos riders have complained that they are a bit whippy. Average size folk just seem to rave about how cool they are.

29erchico

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile Salsa good..

I have been riding a Turner 5 spot, and I just built a Dos niner. I have only ridden it twice for a couple of hours of technical single track at a time, but so far its great. Im 6'6". 220lbs, and it feels fine. not at all wimpy so far. Very fast and much lighter tha my 5er. Rolls over everything. A little tougher on short steep climbs, almost like it has a different gear ratio. Once it get going tho..... :-)
    My .02

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

Love it!

I got a Dos frame about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've done 2 White rim day rides, and I must say this bike is incredibly fast. It handles light, is very nimble, but also very stable. Must have something to do with big wheels...but it is sooo different than my 292. The 292 is plush and super fun, but handles like a stationwagon in comparison to the Dos.

I'm 5'9", 142 lbs, and got the 16" frame. It fits like an extension of my hands/feet.

Nat
    mtbr member
    It's an awesome-handling bike. The biggest issue here was a top tube that was on the high side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Bought one last week and built it up. Im impressed with the design.

I had emailed the guys at Salsa asking for their advince on the 22 or 20" frame based on my inseam etc. Went with the 22" (Im 6'3") on their advice. So far very happy!

Salsa indicated that at least the 06 22" frame would have an additional 1" standover clearance, and should be available in Febuary.

As for the greatly debated tire clearance issue, I don't think it will be a big problem. The bike has more clearance than the old Trek STP softtails did. If I feel like tearing up a muddy trail, Ill be on my fully rigid KM anyway.

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball_dh
    I got a Dos frame about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've done 2 White rim day rides, and I must say this bike is incredibly fast. It handles light, is very nimble, but also very stable. Must have something to do with big wheels...but it is sooo different than my 292. The 292 is plush and super fun, but handles like a stationwagon in comparison to the Dos.

I'm 5'9", 142 lbs, and got the 16" frame. It fits like an extension of my hands/feet.
    Hey hairball,

I'm considering a 16" dos niner. As someone who's also 5'9", you're saying the 16" (size small) frame fits that well? That's good news for me, but could you elaborate? I just want to be sure before any trigger-pulling.

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggurat22
    Hey hairball,

I'm considering a 16" dos niner. As someone who's also 5'9", you're saying the 16" (size small) frame fits that well? That's good news for me, but could you elaborate? I just want to be sure before any trigger-pulling.
    Sure. If left up to my own devices, I'd have chosen the medium frame. However, looking at the specs, standover seemed really tall so I gave the Salsa guys a call. They helped me dial in the right size over phone, mostly by talking about inseam measurements, the bikes I'm accustomed to, and riding style. I forget his name (Jason maybe), but the Salsa guy is 5'10" and went from a med to a small and loved it - it made a big difference for him.

As far as the fit goes - it is not nearly as stretched out as my hummer, er, 292. There is a smidge of toe/tire overlap on tight turns, partly because my cleats are set all the way back in the shoes (I'm an ultra guy). It's a killer ride. Very stable at speed, quite manueverable in the tights, and climbs well. I've done a couple races with it (Bootleg 12 hour and Moab solo), and a couple of 6.5 hour WR day trips. It isn't nearly as giving as my Trek Fuel (whoever started that rumor 29" HT is as cushy as 26" FS should be shot), but at speed it takes care of the small stuff quite well. At slower speeds it feels like a HT, and I only use 5lbs in the rear shock. Plenty of room between the downtube and the top of the Reba.

I'd suggest calling Salsa, they'll be happy to help I'm sure. But based on your height, I can't imagine going any bigger than the 16". I'm mostly leg (34" inseam) and wouldn't want to go any bigger. All this talk of XLs on this forum, there must be some real Goliaths out there on Dos Niners!

Future Rainbow Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball_dh
    Sure. If left up to my own devices, I'd have chosen the medium frame. However, looking at the specs, standover seemed really tall so I gave the Salsa guys a call. They helped me dial in the right size over phone, mostly by talking about inseam measurements, the bikes I'm accustomed to, and riding style. I forget his name (Jason maybe), but the Salsa guy is 5'10" and went from a med to a small and loved it - it made a big difference for him.

As far as the fit goes - it is not nearly as stretched out as my hummer, er, 292. There is a smidge of toe/tire overlap on tight turns, partly because my cleats are set all the way back in the shoes (I'm an ultra guy). It's a killer ride. Very stable at speed, quite manueverable in the tights, and climbs well. I've done a couple races with it (Bootleg 12 hour and Moab solo), and a couple of 6.5 hour WR day trips. It isn't nearly as giving as my Trek Fuel (whoever started that rumor 29" HT is as cushy as 26" FS should be shot), but at speed it takes care of the small stuff quite well. At slower speeds it feels like a HT, and I only use 5lbs in the rear shock. Plenty of room between the downtube and the top of the Reba.

I'd suggest calling Salsa, they'll be happy to help I'm sure. But based on your height, I can't imagine going any bigger than the 16". I'm mostly leg (34" inseam) and wouldn't want to go any bigger. All this talk of XLs on this forum, there must be some real Goliaths out there on Dos Niners!
    Wow, thanks for your help hairball! I'm a 31" inseam and 5'9"so it sounds like the 16" would be a good fit. Now I'm kinda psyched.

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

Glad to help!

Now, the only problem you'll have is when you pull that shiny new frame out of the box you'll think its way to friggin light to handle what you want to dish out

mtbr member

Jan/Feb 2006 Delivery for 2006 model

Hey folks, just a few comments about availability and the model year changes.

We only have one 16" and two 20" left in the 2005 model. Once gone, they are gone forever. We are completely sold out of both the 18" and the 22". The 2006 models are due late December and they should be ready to ship to bike shops at the end of January.

Regarding the changes between 2005 and 2006, they are pretty well documented already, but here is a quick recap.

2006 model has improved stand over, improved tire clearance and a new Very Verde paint job. It also has a slight tweak in the geometry.

2005 model is actually lighter because of the extra bracing required for increased stand over on the '06 model. In my opinion, if you want the lightest 29er softie race bike, the 2005 model year is probably your best bet.

Jason

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks,Jason,and a question...

If you can,please elaborate on the "tweaked geometry".

I'm considering a 20".

Thanks,dan
    no signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfcas
    If you can,please elaborate on the "tweaked geometry".

I'm considering a 20".

Thanks,dan
    I say tweaked because it is very subtle. We had to change the geometry of the chainstays and seatstays to achieve the tire clearance goal. Essentially the geometry of the rear end has been altered. However, if you compare the geometry charts between the 05 and 06, you won't be able to tell the difference.

jason

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    Also, some big and heavy Dos riders have complained that they are a bit whippy. Average size folk just seem to rave about how cool they are.

29erchico
    Um, careful with your words there my friend. Just because we're listed as Clydes doesn't mean we're larda#%es. Also, I think you have your info backwards a bit. most of the lighter riders voiced complaints about the lateral flex, not the Clydes. I'm 210 and have been told BY SALSA that I should not have a problem with the flex issue as discussed on other threads.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not sure about much, but am looking forward to giving my new Dos Niner a ride tonight.

I have a Rig and have been absolutely sold on the 29er thing. Not to mention I have this thing weighing less than my Epic S-Works - see pics!

mtbr member

Dos Niner @ 12 Hours on the Hill of Truth

Hello
    After looking around on this forum, I was intrigued enough to take a trip over to the classifieds, where lo and behold, a '05 20" Dos Niner w/ respectable parts was for sale for a fair price. I figured why not?

I had a race coming up in a week (the 12 Hours on the Hill of Truth, a fine event, by the way), and saw a good opportunity to give my teammates ulcers, by riding a new bike for the first time.

Well, I got it adjusted, did a shake down run at a local trail, and loved the felling of the 29" wheels. They just fell faster, and as I would latter find, they are faster. I did do a lap of the race course the day before the event, but forgot my cycle computer, so the best estimate of my time was around 49 minutes.

Now this is where I made up my mind. The venue (Haw Ridge) has some very tight, twisty, rough technical sections and I thought the Dos Niner's weaknesses would be revealed here: i.e. longer wheel base+bigger wheels=slower handling, 1" softail+rough trails= beat up body. Well, I was wrong. I think the geometry makes up for the handling, and while it was definitely harsher, it wasn't unbearable.

And what it was... was faster. My best practice time with my old bike was about 51 minutes. Now, to frame this up, my old bike is a Titus Racer-X with a Fox FX100 and a pretty lightweight build. It was definitely more comfortable (plusher) than the Dos Niner. The handling was unbelievably about the same. The Dos Niner Climbed better on the long, steep Hill of Truth, and did nearly as well on the short, sudden steep sections elsewhere. I think it came down to traction. Climbing didn't require concentration to Keep the front end on the ground (as w/ the RX), so I could just concentrate on turning the pedals. Cornering traction was a notch better than the RX, so I was frequently surprised that I was getting through turn at such speeds. And rolling resistance was vastly better: on the smooth sections of trail and the paved section, it just flew... so much less effort for so much more speed.

Where the rubber hits the trail is lap time: 46:08, 48:06, 47:something, 56:something (night lap). I plan on doing the race course again on the RX, and trying to turn some laps in anger for a direct comparison, and if anyone is interested, I will let you know the result.

This is too long now, but quickly, I am 6'3", 180lbs, I have the 20" frame and have no stand-over issues, and the size seems good. It was very easy to dial in fit on this bike. I am running the low end of Salsa's recommended presure, and -10psi of RockShox low end of recommended presure for my weight. I will probably play with the fork some more.

Hope this helps.

W. Ritter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wilhelmritter; 11-01-2005 at 12:24 PM.

mtbr member

Wilhelm

Wilhelm- I am glad the bike arrived safe and sound. I was looking and your picture and thought that bike looked familiar. The Dos Niners rock, I bet I'll be seeing your racer-x in the classifieds soon
    xc
    (brent)

Members who have read this thread: 0