Salsa Dos 9 - twice denied on ebay- Mtbr.com
    The Duuude, man...

Salsa Dos 9 - twice denied on ebay

Wondering whats up on this Salsa. In as-new condition, twice shot down on ebay....

Could it be that it's an XL size, and folks are afraid of the standover??

I can't get the seller to respond to emails, maybe that lack of responsiveness contributes to buyers not being comfortable...weird.

First time listed
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7158173658

2nd time listed (ended yesterday)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW%3AIT&rd=1

I think these bikes are really friggin hot...not sure why they're not being snapped up...I know you can get one for the equivalent of about 850 brand new...is that why? Thoughts?
    FS: Everything

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Wondering whats up on this Salsa. In as-new condition, twice shot down on ebay....

Could it be that it's an XL size, and folks are afraid of the standover??

I can't get the seller to respond to emails, maybe that lack of responsiveness contributes to buyers not being comfortable...weird.

First time listed
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7158173658

2nd time listed (ended yesterday)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEDW%3AIT&rd=1

I think these bikes are really friggin hot...not sure why they're not being snapped up...I know you can get one for the equivalent of about 850 brand new...is that why? Thoughts?

Maybe the seller can't sell it because he nailed it to the fence?

May 2004
    I'd be afraid of the standover on the XL, but I would snatch a large if it came up. Is the $850 you mention one of he buy a fork too deals?

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex Mannz
    I'd be afraid of the standover on the XL, but I would snatch a large if it came up. Is the $850 you mention one of he buy a fork too deals?
    yes...that's the speedgoat 1250 and sell the fork for 400 option....

mtbr member

I know that frame

That's my old frame .. see the earlier post "end of the dos niner era" for an explanation..by the way.. I'm not the one selling it

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    That's my old frame .. see the earlier post "end of the dos niner era" for an explanation..by the way.. I'm not the one selling it
    Seller specified "ridden 2 times only"...

Is that the true condition? Did you ride it much before selling to that seller...

I think you noted that yours was a 20" (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=98795) while this ebay seller is listing it as a 22...are you sure it's the same frame, or perhaps the seller mis-listed the size?

mtbr member

It's a 20" frame not a 22"

That is the shop I used to work at, they all have their heads up their a***s. It was ridden 3x... but between you and me, I wouldn't buy that frame. The dos niner is awsome.. but let's just say I'd stay away from that particular one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    but between you and me,
    ...and the few hundred people who will probably read this post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    ...and the few hundred people who will probably read this post.
    Just help fellow 29er forum readers out

mtbr member

I think the bigger...

question is why spend that on a 1" travel soft-tail when you could get a custom steel bike with a Turdbuster for the same or less.

Relying on the flex of Scandium makes me cringe - TWANG!
    Professional Amateur

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    question is why spend that on a 1" travel soft-tail when you could get a custom steel bike with a Turdbuster for the same or less.

Why, is scandium weak or something?

mtbr member

Not that I'm aware of...

...I just don't like the idea of relying on metal (or CF, steel or Ti for that matter) flexing to generate travel vs. a real pivot.

I believe that soft-tails are the worst of both worlds (HT & FS) rather than the opposite.

Sorry - don't mean to thread-jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Why, is scandium weak or something?
    Professional Amateur

Nat
    mtbr member
    ...I just don't like the idea of relying on metal (or CF, steel or Ti for that matter) flexing to generate travel vs. a real pivot.

I believe that soft-tails are the worst of both worlds (HT & FS) rather than the opposite.

Sorry - don't mean to thread-jack.
    Metal can be designed to flex though. A coil spring is just a metal rod that is twisted into a spiral. I think it has a lot to do with the engineering of the tube itself. Coils springs, leaf springs, torsion bars are all proven and time-tested suspensions that rely on bending metal. They're not tubes though.

I've always been kind of freaked out at how much an airplane wing appears to flex up and down during flight. I've been under the impression for a long time that aluminum will fail if placed under repeated cycles, but I don't hear of airplane wings crack'N'failing very often.

I never was much for soft-tails, but I can't believe how nicely our Dos Niner rides. I think it's actually the best-handling bike of any I've ever owned. I just have to ride it as if I'm on a hardtail and not a FS.

Complete Bastard
    You don't hear of airplane wings cracking and failing because there are very stringent procedures for checking and replacing parts that are near the end of their useful life. I've seen some sketchy stuff on older planes, it'd scare the poo out of you if you were airborne in it. Aluminum has a finite life. Scandium has an even more finite life, from what I've heard from industry guys. 2 years is supposedly the useful life for scandium, according to the scuttlebut I've heard.

Harmonius Wrench

Suspending the Rider vs. The Wheel

Well, for one thing, the suspension on the Dos Niner works whether standing or seated, vs. the Thud, which only works when seated. So, perhaps you might spend less on the Thud equipped hardtail, but you would also get what you payed for. I would prefer a suspension that worked ALL the time. Even though it may be a measley 1 inch.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    You don't hear of airplane wings cracking and failing because there are very stringent procedures for checking and replacing parts that are near the end of their useful life. I've seen some sketchy stuff on older planes, it'd scare the poo out of you if you were airborne in it. Aluminum has a finite life. Scandium has an even more finite life, from what I've heard from industry guys. 2 years is supposedly the useful life for scandium, according to the scuttlebut I've heard.
    Is that true? The Salsacycles page says that scandium has increased fatigue life:

"Scandium frame tubing also has increased fatigue life and improved failure modes when compared to traditional aluminum frame tubing. For many of the same metallurgical reasons that Scandium allows non-weldable alloys to be welded, Scandium adds to the fatigue life and durability of frames."

http://www.salsacycles.com/scandium.html

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Simply too high a starting price. If he had started lower in price, then everyone would jump on that bandwagon thinking they're gonna get a bargain, then they'd bid way over what they really wanted to pay after they were watching the auction for awhile and emotionally invested in the auction.

Complete Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Is that true? The Salsacycles page says that scandium has increased fatigue life:

"Scandium frame tubing also has increased fatigue life and improved failure modes when compared to traditional aluminum frame tubing. For many of the same metallurgical reasons that Scandium allows non-weldable alloys to be welded, Scandium adds to the fatigue life and durability of frames."
    Well, I'd trust my sources better than I'd trust some marketing guy. I could make a web page that says that bikes made from petrified poo last longer than those made from carbon fiber, but that wouldn't make it true. You know what I mean? Apparently Sc isn't the wonder material we were told.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Well, I'd trust my sources better than I'd trust some marketing guy. I could make a web page that says that bikes made from petrified poo last longer than those made from carbon fiber, but that wouldn't make it true. You know what I mean? Apparently Sc isn't the wonder material we were told.
    Who are your sources or what are their roles in the industry?

Complete Bastard
    Sorry, it wouldn't be politic to say. I probably shouldn't have said anything.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Sorry, it wouldn't be politic to say. I probably shouldn't have said anything.
    I don't need their names or anything. Are they engineers? Designers?

Complete Bastard
    Builders.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Builders.
    Interesting (and thanks). Do you know if they've worked with the Sc tubing much? I hear there's a local builder who thinks scandium is pretty great. It's hard to figure out who to believe, but I guess that holds true for just about everything.

Complete Bastard
    I know he has worked with it, and feels that it's only suitable for short-lifespan race bikes. Obviously everyone has different opinions. Who knows? They might have said the same thing about aluminum back in the day.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I know he has worked with it, and feels that it's only suitable for short-lifespan race bikes. Obviously everyone has different opinions. Who knows? They might have said the same thing about aluminum back in the day.
    Well, If mine fails I guess I'll just have to use the warranty feature.

mtbr member

If it could be bought

$850 new, WTF would anyone pay close to that if it is USED?
    Two or three rides means nothing. What if it was only raced twice? One race could be Itadabike and the other La Ruta. That is only two races.