Salsa Dos 9 just ended on ebay....- Mtbr.com
    The Duuude, man...

Salsa Dos 9 just ended on ebay....

This was the first Dos 9 frame I've seen go on ebay.

I expected it to go a couple hundred higher. In fact, I would have bid higher, but I was out riding on the road (oh yes, old NCJ01 is doin' a little ROAD WORK), and missed it...

Anyway, I always find ebay to be an interesting baramator of the market....well, I guess it IS the market...

I think the guy could have gotten at least 200 more if he'd A) taken decent photo's, and B) cleaned the frame up first.

My $.02
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Anyway, I always find ebay to be an interesting baramator of the market....well, I guess it IS
    N - if you meant the Dos Niner going for a low price was perhaps representative of the 29er market, don't know if I agree. There's a couple of issues specific to that frame that might significantly lower its resale ... very tight tire clearance (well discussed on this board) ... and the pivotless scandium not necessarily being warrantied on a used frame.

But definitely agree with you about the pictures. How painful is it to pay a buck extra for a picture pack (supersize, etc) on an item that will go for hundreds of dollars?

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicyco
    N - if you meant the Dos Niner going for a low price was perhaps representative of the 29er market, don't know if I agree. There's a couple of issues specific to that frame that might significantly lower its resale ... very tight tire clearance (well discussed on this board) ... and the pivotless scandium not necessarily being warrantied on a used frame.

But definitely agree with you about the pictures. How painful is it to pay a buck extra for a picture pack (supersize, etc) on an item that will go for hundreds of dollars?
    agreed all around.....

I was referring to the Salsa specifically, not 29ers in general. That was the first indication of the market/resale value of the Dos 9 (that I've seen).

Recovering couch patato
    Seller definately would have made more with a classifieds ad, especially if at the time that size would happen to be out of stock.

Where's Toto?
    Somebody got a good deal on that one. Problem with eBay is how you list the item to get max coverage vs. how the search string someone uses to find what they're looking for. Unless you search each category, or match search string to listing title, you're likely to miss it. Agree with Cloxx - would have been a better (and cheaper) move to list it on the classifieds.

Recovering couch patato
    My notification service on ebay didn't produce this frame. $600 in the classifieds would have been a sure sale, I'm sure. People don't spam on-topic forums for nothing, it just works!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Just Ride!
    I think Salsa would sell quite a few more Dos if it was available in Black or Silver.

Recovering couch patato
    Not sure how many they got to begin with, but their stock of green ones is now, S thru XL : 3:9:5:5.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

NCJ01-you didn't miss it, you passed on it

you asked me a question about it yesterday morning and chose not to bid on it. you missed out on a deal if you were interested. it had 42 watchers, only 2 bidders. thanks for criticism of my photography skills. don't you have anything better to do? i'm fine with the money it brought. the guy who bought it got a good deal and i'm happy for him.

"I expected it to go a couple hundred higher. In fact, I would have bid higher, but I was out riding on the road (oh yes, old NCJ01 is doin' a little ROAD WORK), and missed it...

Anyway, I always find ebay to be an interesting baramator of the market....well, I guess it IS the market...

I think the guy could have gotten at least 200 more if he'd A) taken decent photo's, and B) cleaned the frame up first."

My $.02[/QUOTE]

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by bobway
    you asked me a question about it yesterday morning and chose not to bid on it. you missed out on a deal if you were interested. it had 42 watchers, only 2 bidders. thanks for criticism of my photography skills. don't you have anything better to do? i'm fine with the money it brought. the guy who bought it got a good deal and i'm happy for him.
    No, I missed it, I was going to bid $601.01 exactly...I only bid in the last 5-7 seconds of the auction....this time I was out riding (getting dropped like a bad habit from the 2% bodyfat dudes that showed up with threat of rain), then got home and showered. By the time I got to the computer I had missed out.

I'm not trying to bag on you, in fact, I didn't know (other than hitting "ask seller a question") who the seller/you are/were. It is a realtively clear fact that you cost yourself a couple hundred with poor image quality photo's, and didn't full clean the frame prior to taking the photo's....doesn't mean you're a bad person, or that I don't like you....

I'm glad that you're satisfied with the money. That's part of ebay, you have to take what you can get. I've gotten some stinker of deals as a seller before...practically giving stuff away...and while not "happy" with the outcomes, I must be "satisfied"...such the nature of "the 'BAY." Of late, I've had better luck on the classfieds section here though...I had an item end on ebay a couple days ago with NO BIDDERS....now THAT sucks...paid the listing fee's and go no where...

All that being said, i didn't mean to start a thread to critique your ebay skills, or discuss in general the best tips/tricks of selling on ebay. What I meant to do is share with the 29er board the outcome of the first Dos 9er Auction I've seen on ebay. I assumed it would be a point of interest...to teh extend I'm wrong on that point, I apologize for taking up bandwidth and won't be offended if Jan Yanks the post.

Complete Bastard
    Bob, that's the reality. Ebay sells with good pictures and yours was plain jane. Don't take it personal, if you want to sell something on ebay - and make money - you need a ton of good pictures, not one of the frame. Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7151975255

Personally I think it went for less than we'd expect because of the size. I looked at it and thought it was a bit too big for myself and I'm 6'2".

mtbr member

busted

Jeezus, that is all you needed to do was get him involved, perhaps as a holy headbadge that you could say showed up on Xmas eve......

I can't believe someone as "I gotta have it wacko" as NCJo1 is not hip to auction sniper........
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    I can't believe someone as "I gotta have it wacko" as NCJo1 is not hip to auction sniper........
    oh, beleive me, i'm all about sniping....I just happened to be riding....

Can you beleive that? The 7th sign of the Apocalypse?? ncj01 out riding instead of in the house sniping for a bike bling part that he doesn't really need? What is the world coming to???

mtbr member
    You still are'nt hip. www.auctionsniper.com. I haven't put an early bid in on eBay in 2 years.

You can be leading the Tour and still get your snipe in.......

Anyone that wants to get on it use bigwheel_29 at hotmail.com as a reference so I can get some free snipes! Or don't......

contains quinine
    Interesting discussion about Ebay. I'm pretty new at buying and selling there. I ended up with a nos '02supercal frame and fork for what I thought was a good price about 4 months ago. Now complete bikes have been up for 300 more then the frame and fork I bought... Oh well..

Anyway, I remember thinking, when I thought I had a smoking deal, that the seller could have made more money by posting an ad here. For niche'y bikes such as these, you've got to let everyone know!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

The Duuude, man...
    You still are'nt hip. www.auctionsniper.com. I haven't put an early bid in on eBay in 2 years.
    I'll see your auctionsniper, and raise you a bidslammer.com

:-)

indigosky
    Oh Sh!t Nate, who died and made you a moderator?

Recovering couch patato
    Am I dead yet?
    What forum Nate?
    I would say "congrats", but I know what the job means... :-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Likely to more Dos Niners on Ebay...

...because they are selling an awfull lot of new ones. The Salsa guys at Sea Otter told me that the Dos is out-selling all their other bikes. Joe Murry of Voo Doo said that it was his understanding that they had already sold around 1,000 Dos Niners in the few months it has been out, compared to about 80 Voo Doo Dambalas. This is not to knock Voo Doo, who is certainly a smaller company than Salsa/QBP, but I think in most cases, brands introducing a 29er in their lineup have not seen it's sales rocket past the 26" bikes.

This may be like a good trend.

I like bikes

1,000???

Quote Originally Posted by dgdixon
    ...because they are selling an awfull lot of new ones. The Salsa guys at Sea Otter told me that the Dos is out-selling all their other bikes. Joe Murry of Voo Doo said that it was his understanding that they had already sold around 1,000 Dos Niners in the few months it has been out, compared to about 80 Voo Doo Dambalas. This is not to knock Voo Doo, who is certainly a smaller company than Salsa/QBP, but I think in most cases, brands introducing a 29er in their lineup have not seen it's sales rocket past the 26" bikes.

This may be like a good trend.
    Really??? WOW is that a WW number or just for the US?

Jan 2004
    I would have though this

was the main reason for the relatively low price....

Frame Building Moderator

Way OT ... why snipe?

Ok, this is not a knock at anyone on here, but here's my question: why the heck does anyone bother with auctionsniper, or waiting until the last 6 seconds to bid? When I bid on things on ebay, I do the following:
    -See something I want.
    -Bid the maximum I'm willing to spend on aforementioned item.
    -Wait and pay no attention.
    -Win or lose or whatever.

I mean, no matter how much sniping you do, at the end of the auction, Ebay is going to award the item to the highest bidder, and that person is going to pay $2 or whatever bid increment more than the next highest bidder. So you might as well just bid what you want to spend, and go ride your bike/sleep/drink beer. Proxy bidding will take care of everything for you. No amount of sniping is going to prevent you from getting that item if you're the highest bidder, and no amount of sniping is going to let you get it any cheaper.

I think a lot of Ebay buyers like the thrill of the hunt more than they like actually spending their money in a rational fashion. That's why I mostly sell stuff.

Ok, rant over.

_Walt

You can be leading the Tour and still get your snipe in.......

Anyone that wants to get on it use bigwheel_29 at hotmail.com as a reference so I can get some free snipes! Or don't......

N+1

cool thread

I'm with Walt - I know the perceived value of the items I buy on ebay, so I have a fixed price that I'll bid. On odd or new items like this Dos 9, it's so unpredictable. If that had been an XL frame, I'd be w/ Nathan, it'd get my bid for 600+. I watched the end of this auction and couldn't believe the deal that bidder got. I ride that bike currently (although not enough because of the Walt SS), and it's worth the bling. D
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member

Whoa Nelly

Just want to add a few facts and clear up a few things.

1) While it is true that our Dos Niner is at or near the top in our sales, we wish we sold 1000 already. Not true. While we have infact almost sold thru our entire first production run, it is no where near 1000. Salsa is a small company.

2) Even though we are in fact owned by QBP (a big company), Salsa is a small company. We only have a few employess. Myself, Chuck, Dave, Bobby, Kid Riemer. Only Chuck and myself are full time Salsa employees. We have one engineer and one industrial designer that we hire out on a per project basis. There are a few other folks that work on QC and misc projects but that's it. We have our own budgets, own employees, own interests, and are held accountable as a stand alone company. Our association does have one big advantage that helps us, distribution. QBP is distribution because QBP is an expert in distribution.

3) Big Wheels and other countries. Currently, the 29 market is almost 100% a USA market. Our international distributors are interested and have purchased a few , but it just isn't happening as fast as in the USA. Cloxx, keep pushing those Euro folks!

4) Whoever bought that first Dos Niner on Ebay got a good deal! I've been watching the ebay thing watching for our stuff. We've been selling a bunch of this model so we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

Jason
    Salsa Crew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    Ok, this is not a knock at anyone on here, but here's my question: why the heck does anyone bother with auctionsniper, or waiting until the last 6 seconds to bid? When I bid on things on ebay, I do the following:
    -See something I want.
    -Bid the maximum I'm willing to spend on aforementioned item.

I mean, no matter how much sniping you do, at the end of the auction, Ebay is going to award the item to the highest bidder, and that person is going to pay $2 or whatever bid increment more than the next highest bidder. So you might as well just bid what you want to spend, and go ride your bike/sleep/drink beer. Proxy bidding will take care of everything for you. No amount of sniping is going to prevent you from getting that item if you're the highest bidder, and no amount of sniping is going to let you get it any cheaper.

I think a lot of Ebay buyers like the thrill of the hunt more than they like actually spending their money in a rational fashion. That's why I mostly sell stuff.

Ok, rant over.

_Walt
    Walt, you described my eBay method to a T actually.

-See something I want.
    -Bid the maximum I'm willing to spend on aforementioned item (but using the auction sniper service.)

However with Auction Sniper you don't show your hand until the last 5 seconds when the program does so automatically and your computer does not even have to be on, nor you anywhere near it. If your bid is lower than the sale price it will just send you an email telling you and it costs you nothing. The biggest thing I have seen on eBay is people getting on your item and bidding up and over you just because they can, and do so because they get into a frenzy about it. If you use a snipe service they don't know you are there. Like you, I decide how much whatever is worth to me and rarely if ever go back and raise my bid as the service will let you know if your bid is going to be too low also, again at no charge.

So I have to disagree that I don't get things cheaper, because 75% of the time when I win it is under my pricepoint. The other 25% of the time I end up winning by the bid increment as it works out. To each his own I guess!

Witty McWitterson
    I know of an XL Dos Niner that may be going up for auction soon. No, its not mine, just a freinds. I rode it, and the XL is HUGE. He's going to try a flat bar first to see if that makes it better. If not UP for sale it goes...
    Just a regular guy.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    Ok, rant over.
    It's all good.

Sniping does save money.

Putting in a proxy bid insures you'll more likely to get beat. All the other guy does is bid 1 dollar at a time until has you beat.

I'm too tired to rant, I had an outpatient surgery this evening...first stitches I've ever had...ugh!! No worries, will be back on the bike Saturday.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    Oh Sh!t Nate, who died and made you a moderator?
    Ah, figured my big in girth brethren needed someone to sacrifice some time for the greater good...plus the POWER, man, it's intoxicating!!

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I know of an XL Dos Niner that may be going up for auction soon. No, its not mine, just a freinds. I rode it, and the XL is HUGE. He's going to try a flat bar first to see if that makes it better. If not UP for sale it goes...
    Where do you feel like the size comes from? It's not all ETT is it? Does the headtube seem to be long? Or just the more traditional, non-sloping TT give a Monkey/huge bike feel to it? I am torn between a L and XL...not that I'm buying any time soon, just figure if one pops up on the bay and I don't miss it this time...

Recovering couch patato
    6 Dos Niners sold in the last 16 hours (shipped out from QBP yesterday, I guess).

I find it odd no-one responded to Kolo's pictures, and it' certainly something I'd be concerned about. That frame in the picture apparantly found a rear tire and a rear wheel that flex enough to strip the paint off? I know, it's moslty a race frame, but I kinda like my XR rear tire, surely that should fit a race bike?

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I know, it's moslty a race frame, but I kinda like my XR rear tire, surely that should fit a race bike?
    I haven't tried putting my rear XR on my Dos yet, but eyeballing it, it'd be a very close fit, more at the shock than the chainstays, as shown in Kolo's picture. I currently have a Kenda Klaw back there, and I have less than 1cm of clearance, which is enough for me. The XR is a teeny bit taller, so may be getting too close. That's the main reason I haven't bothered to try it yet. That, and the Kenda works just fine as a rear.

Kolo's picture just doesn't make sense to me. The only tire that would come close to rubbing the chainstays like that on my Dos is the Exi, but there's no way the Exi would clear the seatstay/shock mount without some serious rubbing.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    I find it odd no-one responded to Kolo's pictures, and it' certainly something I'd be concerned about. That frame in the picture apparantly found a rear tire and a rear wheel that flex enough to strip the paint off?
    Huh? That looks like rub-off from running in sticky mud to me. In fact, I just checked the ebay description and the seller even says as much. From an Exi - in the mud. Looks no different than my cross bike and even my Vulture. Nothing to worry about IMHO.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega
    Huh? That looks like rub-off from running in sticky mud to me. In fact, I just checked the ebay description and the seller even says as much. From an Exi - in the mud. Looks no different than my cross bike and even my Vulture. Nothing to worry about IMHO.
    The seller, in an email to me prior to item end, stated the same. I've seen that happen on a lot of bikes, like babywheeled sugars, blurs, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles

1) While it is true that our Dos Niner is at or near the top in our sales, we wish we sold 1000 already.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Opps. I guess I took the comment literally, but "Salsa has sold a thousand" must have just ment that they were selling an awfull lot. So have the sales exceed Salsa's expectations?

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    I would have though this

was the main reason for the relatively low price....
    the wear marks are mostly on the left side. I'd suggest a wheel that was out of true.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

I like bikes

Thanks for the clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles

1) While it is true that our Dos Niner is at or near the top in our sales, we wish we sold 1000 already. Not true. While we have infact almost sold thru our entire first production run, it is no where near 1000. Salsa is a small company.

2) Even though we are in fact owned by QBP (a big company), Salsa is a small company. We only have a few employess. Myself, Chuck, Dave, Bobby, Kid Riemer. Only Chuck and myself are full time Salsa employees. We have one engineer and one industrial designer that we hire out on a per project basis. There are a few other folks that work on QC and misc projects but that's it. We have our own budgets, own employees, own interests, and are held accountable as a stand alone company. Our association does have one big advantage that helps us, distribution. QBP is distribution because QBP is an expert in distribution.

3) Big Wheels and other countries. Currently, the 29 market is almost 100% a USA market. Our international distributors are interested and have purchased a few , but it just isn't happening as fast as in the USA. Cloxx, keep pushing those Euro folks!

4) Whoever bought that first Dos Niner on Ebay got a good deal! I've been watching the ebay thing watching for our stuff. We've been selling a bunch of this model so we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    I doubt 1,000 29’ers have been sold in the entire market this year so far.