Salsa- differences pre/post QBP- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Salsa- differences pre/post QBP

I don't have any personal history with Salsa Cycles- have never owned one of their bikes. I see some mention here and there on the interwebs about not liking what QBP has done with Salsa (and Surly, too.)

Though when I do a search on the subject, on this site and broader on Google, I don't really see much information about it.

So- for those of you who have known the brand for a long time and have an opinion on this- what's the deal? How has it changed...good (if any) and bad?

Oh, and the reason I'm interested is that I am considering the Timberjack, possibly two of them (wife and me both looking at new bikes.)

Thanks
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't know what people would have against Surly, as it has almost always been fully under the Q umbrella, save for like the first year when it was just the 1x1.

As for Salsa, I think the argument is that it used to be a fuller brand (like they made tri bikes and whatnot). Since coming under the Q umbrella, they have moved heavily away from the race side of things and are now a much more "explore" company. For those who pine for their scandium roadbikes of yore, this is a bummer. I am of the opinion that the movement toward the off pavement exploring has focused the brand, and given them an opportunity to stand out in a field of very similar bike companies.

I do think having a brand called Salsa, based in Minnesota, is hilarious.

rth009
    May 2010
    According to the QBP wikipedia page, QBP bought Salsa in 1997. I dont think there's any comparison between pre-QBP and post QBP except that they made/make great bikes. My understanding is the pre-QBP Salsa was a small company that started out making a very small number of custom steel frames and eventually made more steel MTB and road frames and stems until dude sold to QBP.
    Now they make steel, carbon, aluminum, and (a few remaining) titanium bikes for specific purposes that have well thought out designs and great component specs for the money. Ive had 4 of the "QBP Salsas" in total, currently have 2, and am eyeing another. Get a timberjack if you can find one, looks like a great bike for a minimal investment that can be upgraded/improved as things wear out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Google Ross Shafer for Salsa history

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

rth009
    May 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Same name different company. QBP bought the name that's about all that remains. I guess the skewers are close to the same although not made by DKG. After they sold and QBP laid off the staff. Ross helped his frame builders start their own company. I helped move a lot of the old Salsa tooling when it went down. I like my new Salsa bikes just fine. They live up to the motto of Salsa "if it ain't moto it's worthless " but in a pretty generic way compared to the works of rideable art Roos and crew put out there.
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade