Salsa dealer agreement for shipping older models- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Salsa dealer agreement for shipping older models

When did Salsa turn into Raleigh? Not a knock on Raleigh, but I see they have a new dealer agreement that makes distributors unable to ship older models.

So now if you want last year's model for a reason, or the new model isn't available yet you can't get what you want? There's a few dealers in my area that stock Salsa but none have Warbirds and I would have to order without riding. Plus I love the 13 orange WB2. That's what I want.

My shop actually told me they aren't worth stocking and the Specialized Tricross Sport is a better bike and bang for the buck. I declined because I have a strange loyalty to Salsa, and have rode only Salsa bikes for a decade. But back to the point of now I have to compromise and pick another bike or brand, or wait for something used to sell somewhere.

Sorry for the rant, I just think limiting distributors and customers is a bad idea. Now distributors will order less because they may not sell, and customers can't get what they want.

mtbr member
    I don't think it's Salsa. QBP has been doing similar things with all of their brands. There used to be 2 Salsa dealers in my area but both are dropping the brand. That means my 2013 Colossal will probably be my last Salsa which really bums me out because I love the bike. One of those is now selling Specialized instead which sucks because every 2nd shop around here seems to sell Specialized.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't think it's Salsa. QBP has been doing similar things with all of their brands. There used to be 2 Salsa dealers in my area but both are dropping the brand. That means my 2013 Colossal will probably be my last Salsa which really bums me out because I love the bike. One of those is now selling Specialized instead which sucks because every 2nd shop around here seems to sell Specialized.
    That totally sucks! I got a salsa to get away from the large deathstar size companies. Love the Salsa brand and would be bummed too. Feel for ya man

short timer
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So close. I saw that but think I need a 58. It's just a bummer that I can't purchase from a B&M, even if they have to ship it. Even some places can't ship the 14's now because they are "last year's model".

I'll probably just wait it our or find a frame. Salsa - help a die hard out! C'mon, I just put a Bluto on my Beargrease and he's lonely...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If they can't ship the old frames, what the heck happens to the old stock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My understanding of the situation is that to sell Salsa bikes now you have to be a proper "Dealer". Meaning a Local Bike Shop can no longer simply go to the QBP catalog and order a Salsa bike or frame. They must enter into a Dealer agreement with similar requirements to other bicycle brands. Meaning minimum stock etc.

There are 2 Salsa "Dealers" in my town. The problem is they seem to mostly stock the silly (my 2 cents) fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm guessing shops are stuck with old stock and have to clearance it out and sell locally.

I get the dealer principal it just seems counterproductive. They don't want people waiting for things to go on sale to buy them. My Salsa dealer has mostly fat and fs.

Regarding fat, I think my Beargrease is the most fun I've had on a mountain bike. I was skeptical of fat but absolutely love this thing. I like it so much I sold my Mamasita 29er and use this for all mountain/snow. I'll get 29+ wheels for it for next summer so I can swap when I want to be a little quicker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I sincerely apologize for the blame I so rightly deserve for starting ANY kind of debate on fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    No debate, to each their own. I'm cool with people liking and disliking things. As long as people are riding some from of bike (hence why we visit this forum).

mtbr member
    Does this apply to frames as well?
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My 2014 Fargo was shipped right after the 2015s were released. The dealer had it on hand. They called Salsa, got the ok, and sent it out. Unless things have changed it was prett easy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The one place I called said they couldn't ship anymore. Yes, frames and full bikes. Bummer.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Maybe your just asking the wrong way. If you find someplace that has one ask them if they ship customer owned bikes. Then pay for the bike and ask them to ship YOUR bike. As long as it's two separate transactions it should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Maybe your just asking the wrong way. If you find someplace that has one ask them if they ship customer owned bikes. Then pay for the bike and ask them to ship YOUR bike. As long as it's two separate transactions it should be fine.
    Maybe you are a brilliant person? I'm going to try that...