Salsa Deadbolt Thru Axle Problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Salsa Deadbolt Thru Axle Problem

HI folks,

I am having issues with the current version of Salsa Deadbolt UL thru axles and I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same.

The problem is that they are poorly designed / executed! These axles use a captive washer system just like all proper thru axles / bolts, HOWEVER the captive washer Salsa uses is Aluminum, and the axle / axle head is also Alu. If you have any background in mechanics or machining you will know that Aluminum tends to gall under the exact conditions that These axles are used in. A much better solution would be a steel or brass washer, which are both much more resistant to galling.

The 2nd problem is that These captive washers are not easy to lubricate properly in order to avoid this problem. The gap is too small to get grease in there, and a few drops of oil just make a mess, and don't do much long term.

In any case the axles are a bear to remove even when properly lubricated.

We have two 2018 Salsa bikes in our home ( lucky us) and both have this issue. Before I go out and spend good coin on aftermarket axles I wanted to know if anyone else has dealt with this, and if you were able to get anything out of Salsa for your troubles?

For those who dont know: this is galling https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

AND. yes I searched the forum and googled around but got no hits on this subject.....so here we are.

thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    The question is; how often do you remove your wheels and do you keep the torque specified by the manufacturer? i think most of Thru-axles are lightweight designs and the thread pitch on this rear dropouts makes them not common available.
    at least i am searching for replacement / spare axles for my Fargo and i am not finding a lot of them on sale.
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9
    Salsa Fargo XT/Gevenalle 2x11

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience with these through axles specifically, but if I was dealing with galling on any parts, and normal greases or lubes did not help, I would try anti-seize as it might give you better results.

You said these axles are a bit hard to lube. You would have to be fairly precise with anti-seize because it gets on everything, is hard to wipe off and just creates a mess. And use very small quantities, much less that with normal grease. Just enough to coat the surfaces. To make you feel better, when I want to lube my DT Swiss axles with normal grease just in the right places it also requires some effort to do it right and avoid creating a mess, so it's not just the Salsa ones that are like that.

Most common anti-seize compounds are copper, nickel or aluminium based. Normally, with copper and nickel being more noble than aluminium I would not use them on alu bike parts so as not to run the risk of galvanic corrosion, so I use the aluminium based one. But most ppl will tell you they've used copper or nickel on bikes with no issues. I think most if not all anti-seize compounds contain additives that prevent galvanic corrosion.

https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...e-lubricant-2/

mtbr member
    Problem is that the washer and bolt are such a tight fit that you can't take them apart or grease them, the contact surface between the washer and frame is not a problem.
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9
    Salsa Fargo XT/Gevenalle 2x11

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Shadow View Post
    Problem is that the washer and bolt are such a tight fit that you can't take them apart or grease them, the contact surface between the washer and frame is not a problem.
    Exactly. sorry if I was not clear on that.

I know how to effectively lube a normal axle, but its these Alu on Alu Salsa ones that are giving me a ball ache. I will not use anti seize as its impossible to get it between the washer and bolt head.

I will follow this with Salsa and see what, if anything, they say.....

Thingamejigger
    And to add insult to injury, it's a 6mm bolt... where else on a bike is 6mm a common size! 5mm would have been more sensible.