Salsa Cycles to Begin Selling at 11 REI Stores- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Salsa Cycles to Begin Selling at 11 REI Stores

Salsa Cycles to Begin Selling at 11 REI Stores | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

The good:
    More exposure.
    A lot of REI brands are questionable excluding Ghost/Cannondale/Charge.
    Salsa can be hard to find in areas that don't have dedicated dealers.
    Buy local and you can get service/returns and eliminate shipping.

Bad:
    Salsa already has low stock on a lot of things and it's only mid-season.
    REI is not the place I think about for bikes. At all.
    This boosts REI and lowers Salsa rep in one move. Hopefully REI starts pushing for a few additional strong brands.
    Kinda screws local Salsa vendors and may move Salsa to more of a REI brand.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Since there don't seem to be many stocking Salsa dealers...at least there's none in my area...it will be nice to get hands on one before committing to buy. Perhaps REI is trying to establish a better bike section to bring their cycling department up to something a bit more respectable. I have purchased one bike from REI...the Cannondale Synapse I had. I'd certainly buy a bike from REI again if they had something I was looking for, especially something like a Salsa that I couldn't get anywhere else. Maybe it will also push Salsa to produce more bikes instead of being sold out before cycling season even starts. I was looking for a Warbird 3 months ago and they were already sold out for the 2016 season...kinda unacceptable IMO.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hotsalsa View Post

A lot of REI brands are questionable excluding Ghost/Cannondale/Charge.

REI is not the place I think about for bikes. At all.

This boosts REI and lowers Salsa rep in one move.
    Care to elaborate on these points?

Seems like REI is making an effort, and there is potential for some serious competition for the LBS business model if they can get their shit together. They have also been telling bikes for like 30 years and have their own brand (that occasionally makes some cool stuff).

mtbr member
    After working at REI, I think they are trying pretty darn hard to be a legit shop. Just like any LBS, some locations are better than others. Good help is hard to find. They staff their shops with Barnett's-trained wrenches and have access to some of the best equipped shops you will find. I left REI to work for a LBS and it was a huge mistake.

The Novara Randonee is a rad ass touring bike.

I find it weird that QBP pulled Surly bikes from REI but is willing to sell Salsa theough them (same parent company.)

mtbr member
    Also, what better brand to sell "Adventure by Bike." tm?

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Seems like REI is making an effort, and there is potential for some serious competition for the LBS business model if they can get their shit together. They have also been telling bikes for like 30 years and have their own brand (that occasionally makes some cool stuff).
    Agreed. If it's done well, it could be good for both entities. If REI is committing to purchasing "X" number of bikes per season, that provides a lot more stability for Salsa's sales projections, which then allows them to make a lot of other decisions with more certainty.

Also, I wonder if some of it isn't demographics? Most of those locations are big urban centers, where I could imagine that small, independent bike shops dealing Salsa would be having a tough time, or not be successful at all. The successful Salsa dealers I can think of are mostly in 'destination' areas with otherwise low population densities, like Moab, the Tetons, etc. So, assuming this speculation (which I'm totally pulling out of my ass) is true, it may not put the brand at odds much with its dedicated, existing dealers.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I own a Randonee and dollar for dollar believe it's a far better bike than the LHT. My experience with REI's bike department has been equally good though Iprimarily do my own work and typically go there for small parts. As said earlier in the thread, another huge benefit to REI is that they have no issue ordering in a bike for you to test ride if they don't have one in stock and there's no obligation to buy. I get the whole support the LBS mentality but there's just no upside to doing so other than feeling good. Their prices are often %25 higher than online, shipping time is longer and there are no returns. I just can't rationalize spending a grand or more on a bike that I can't even test ride prior to purchasing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Any idea when this begins?

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing some bikes in Knoxville, Tn....incredible biking area
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post
    Any idea when this begins?
    If you'll read the article, it says they'll start selling 2017 models in July.

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. (BRAIN) — Salsa Cycles told its dealers Friday that it plans to begin selling through select REI stores in July. The QBP-owned brand said it will sell model-year 2017 at 11 stores, and will be “starting small.”

According to the letter, obtained by Bicycle Retailer, Salsa bikes and components will be sold in REI stores in Anchorage and Fairbanks, Alaska; Arcadia and Tustin, California; Denver, Colorado; Washington, DC; Schaumburg, Illinois; Bend, Oregon; St. Louis, Missouri; Houston, Texas; and Seattle, Washington.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Since there don't seem to be many stocking Salsa dealers...at least there's none in my area...it will be nice to get hands on one before committing to buy.
    Worth noting you have to be a Salsa dealer to carry their bikes which means being required to hit sales numbers. They also seem to limit the number of dealers in a certain area but that might have changed. Though any shop that uses QBP can order Salsa parts.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    After doing some research at my local store I found out that this isn't the first time REI and Salsa have "hooked up". Turns out this almost happened like 5 years ago but Salsa couldn't provide enough bikes. REI also has a B+ Fargo listed in their system, no details but I wasn't aware that was even an option.

since 4/10/2009
    I am told that REI will only be permitted to place one preseason order for Salsa bikes per year. Sounds like no restocking when they sell out, and probably no special orders, either.

There are actually a lot of new Salsa bikes and revisions to older ones, while some aren't getting any changes.

I also hear that Cannondale has not sold well at REI, and is in the process of leaving.

old and slow
    I hope this means Salsa plans to start making enough bikes that their existing dealers as well as the new ones can get them when someone wants one. Many of their very attractive models have been basically vaporware for the past couple of years.
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

since 4/10/2009
    They also like to make limited release bikes occasionally that are intentionally tough to get. Deadwood, for example.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepunk13 View Post
    Worth noting you have to be a Salsa dealer to carry their bikes which means being required to hit sales numbers. They also seem to limit the number of dealers in a certain area but that might have changed. Though any shop that uses QBP can order Salsa parts.
    My shop is a dealer but sells very few bikes. So maybe those required numbers are quite low. Not sure. I do know that they are order only and pre-payment in full required with no returns due to the fact that re-sale is unlikely.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    ..... I do know that they are order only and pre-payment in full required with no returns due to the fact that re-sale is unlikely.
    Support you LBS but if the $2k+ bike you had to special order doesn't quite fit right too f'ing bad, REI to the rescue.