Is Salsa considered a Boutique Brand?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937

    Is Salsa considered a Boutique Brand?

    My LBS just picked up Jamis so of course I headed down to check out the offerings. I asked the guys where all the Salsas went. Their response was Salsa is more of a Boutique brand. They will have a few in stock but can order them in. I just don't think of Salsa when I hear Boutique.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  2. #2
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,245
    Yes. They're a larger boutique brand, but they're definitely a boutique brand.

  3. #3
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yes. They're a larger boutique brand, but they're definitely a boutique brand.
    Well you learn something new everyday.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    233
    My 2「: yes. I have often referred to Salsa as such. My local shop was a Salsa dealer for quite a while. They primarily sold (and still do), Trek, with some Salsas sprinkled in. As said above, they specialize in a niche/group of niches, not a "full range" bicycle brand, and they don't do "cheap," entry-level bikes.

  5. #5
    In dog years, I'm dead.
    Reputation: burtronix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,073
    Depends on how you define boutique. If by boutique you mean high-end bikes with unique features, then yes they are. But I tend to think of boutique brands as charging extra for what I call the snooty factor, & by that definition Salsa is not a boutique brand.

    Salsa has always provided a great value for the specs, features, & components you get. Compare their FS bikes to their competition. Where else can you get a DW Link suspension, carbon frame, great components, & world-class performance for under $5k? Ibis, Pivot, or Turner? If your price point is under $4k, get it in aluminum with a lower component group, but still a great bike.

    So maybe boutique without the snoot factor.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

  6. #6
    ejj
    ejj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Depends on how you define boutique. If by boutique you mean high-end bikes with unique features, then yes they are. But I tend to think of boutique brands as charging extra for what I call the snooty factor, & by that definition Salsa is not a boutique brand.

    Salsa has always provided a great value for the specs, features, & components you get. Compare their FS bikes to their competition. Where else can you get a DW Link suspension, carbon frame, great components, & world-class performance for under $5k? Ibis, Pivot, or Turner? If your price point is under $4k, get it in aluminum with a lower component group, but still a great bike.

    So maybe boutique without the snoot factor.
    This is getting a little trickier, as many of the high-end makers you mentioned are now offering budget builds. Salsa has a lot of competition in those price ranges now.

  7. #7
    In dog years, I'm dead.
    Reputation: burtronix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    This is getting a little trickier, as many of the high-end makers you mentioned are now offering budget builds. Salsa has a lot of competition in those price ranges now.
    Yes, but their budget builds often have lower spec parts. Salsa still has better value, in my observation.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,962
    I wouldn't label them a boutique brand at all...no.
    For some reason whenever I think of Salsa Ventana comes to mind. Ventana is definately a botique brand. My guess is said bike shop makes much bigger margins on Jamis.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  9. #9
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I wouldn't label them a boutique brand at all...no.
    For some reason whenever I think of Salsa Ventana comes to mind. Ventana is definately a botique brand. My guess is said bike shop makes much bigger margins on Jamis.
    My guess @WHALENARD is you are right.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  10. #10
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,824
    I don't understand what difference it would make if salsa was, or was not, considered a boutique brand. The word adds no substantive information about a purchase decision either way.

  11. #11
    Ambassador of Chub
    Reputation: Smithhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    I don't understand what difference it would make if salsa was, or was not, considered a boutique brand. The word adds no substantive information about a purchase decision either way.
    Agreed. It's a silly and largely useless term.

    And no, I don't consider Salsa to be a 'boutique' brand. They may not be one of the Big 3, but they are still far bigger than what I would define 'boutique' as.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2015, 12:27 PM
  2. Chain or boutique for servicing?
    By targnik in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-13-2014, 01:15 PM
  3. Boutique Bikes
    By mikecy in forum Intense
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 12:23 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM
  5. Boutique chainring question
    By frorider in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.