Is Salsa considered a Boutique Brand?- Mtbr.com
    CS2
    mtbr member

Is Salsa considered a Boutique Brand?

My LBS just picked up Jamis so of course I headed down to check out the offerings. I asked the guys where all the Salsas went. Their response was Salsa is more of a Boutique brand. They will have a few in stock but can order them in. I just don't think of Salsa when I hear Boutique.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

since 4/10/2009
    Yes. They're a larger boutique brand, but they're definitely a boutique brand.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yes. They're a larger boutique brand, but they're definitely a boutique brand.
    Well you learn something new everyday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My 2「: yes. I have often referred to Salsa as such. My local shop was a Salsa dealer for quite a while. They primarily sold (and still do), Trek, with some Salsas sprinkled in. As said above, they specialize in a niche/group of niches, not a "full range" bicycle brand, and they don't do "cheap," entry-level bikes.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Depends on how you define boutique. If by boutique you mean high-end bikes with unique features, then yes they are. But I tend to think of boutique brands as charging extra for what I call the snooty factor, & by that definition Salsa is not a boutique brand.

Salsa has always provided a great value for the specs, features, & components you get. Compare their FS bikes to their competition. Where else can you get a DW Link suspension, carbon frame, great components, & world-class performance for under $5k? Ibis, Pivot, or Turner? If your price point is under $4k, get it in aluminum with a lower component group, but still a great bike.

So maybe boutique without the snoot factor.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Depends on how you define boutique. If by boutique you mean high-end bikes with unique features, then yes they are. But I tend to think of boutique brands as charging extra for what I call the snooty factor, & by that definition Salsa is not a boutique brand.

Salsa has always provided a great value for the specs, features, & components you get. Compare their FS bikes to their competition. Where else can you get a DW Link suspension, carbon frame, great components, & world-class performance for under $5k? Ibis, Pivot, or Turner? If your price point is under $4k, get it in aluminum with a lower component group, but still a great bike.

So maybe boutique without the snoot factor.
    This is getting a little trickier, as many of the high-end makers you mentioned are now offering budget builds. Salsa has a lot of competition in those price ranges now.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    This is getting a little trickier, as many of the high-end makers you mentioned are now offering budget builds. Salsa has a lot of competition in those price ranges now.
    Yes, but their budget builds often have lower spec parts. Salsa still has better value, in my observation.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    I wouldn't label them a boutique brand at all...no.
    For some reason whenever I think of Salsa Ventana comes to mind. Ventana is definately a botique brand. My guess is said bike shop makes much bigger margins on Jamis.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I wouldn't label them a boutique brand at all...no.
    For some reason whenever I think of Salsa Ventana comes to mind. Ventana is definately a botique brand. My guess is said bike shop makes much bigger margins on Jamis.
    My guess @WHALENARD is you are right.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I don't understand what difference it would make if salsa was, or was not, considered a boutique brand. The word adds no substantive information about a purchase decision either way.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    I don't understand what difference it would make if salsa was, or was not, considered a boutique brand. The word adds no substantive information about a purchase decision either way.
    Agreed. It's a silly and largely useless term.

And no, I don't consider Salsa to be a 'boutique' brand. They may not be one of the Big 3, but they are still far bigger than what I would define 'boutique' as.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.