Salsa Caballero riders!- Mtbr.com
    I ride a bike.

Salsa Caballero riders!

I am very interested in this frame. I like the price (I have a hook up at a salsa dealer), weight, and look. The only problem, and it's a big one, is the geometry. The top tube is so damn small, and the stand over height is so big when compared to comparable sizes in other bikes. I need all you Salsa riders to shed some light on what you think about the geometry of this bike. It's a dope bike...but that geometry (probably most important aspect!)

Thanks...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colorado
    I am very interested in this frame. I like the price (I have a hook up at a salsa dealer), weight, and look. The only problem, and it's a big one, is the geometry. The top tube is so damn small, and the stand over height is so big when compared to comparable sizes in other bikes. I need all you Salsa riders to shed some light on what you think about the geometry of this bike. It's a dope bike...but that geometry (probably most important aspect!)

Thanks...
    I have only had mine for a few weeks. I had it build with my old hardtail components until I piece together a build kit. (Almost finished)

I love the look and feel of this frame. The first thing I did was put a 120mm stem on it and I am going to go with a thompson setback or more than likely a fsa sl 220 seatpost to give me a little more length.

I am a short rider with a long upper torso for my height. I am close to having this bike dialed in...I think you will be pleased.

hth

Fo' Bidniz in da haus

Salsa best bike for $ no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by bghtn
    I have only had mine for a few weeks. I had it build with my old hardtail components until I piece together a build kit. (Almost finished)

I love the look and feel of this frame. The first thing I did was put a 120mm stem on it and I am going to go with a thompson setback or more than likely a fsa sl 220 seatpost to give me a little more length.

I am a short rider with a long upper torso for my height. I am close to having this bike dialed in...I think you will be pleased.

hth
    I personally like the shorter than average top tubes. The best climbing bike I EVER had, and probably will, was my 2000 S-works. In 2000, top tubes were really short but I loved the shorter top tube and really regret (to this day) selling it. I dont care about theoretical physics etc....I prefer the shorter top tube for climbing. I feel like I have more ability to adjust to any climb.

I almost bought the Salsa myself......the only reason I did not is because I got a brand new Rocky Mountain Element Tsc (kissing cousing to the Caballero) and have always loved the philosphy of that company....though Salsa folks kick @SS too.

My build is almost done!!

Cheers

Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I personally like the shorter than average top tubes. ....I prefer the shorter top tube for climbing. I feel like I have more ability to adjust to any climb.

I almost bought the Salsa myself......the only reason I did not is because I got a brand new Rocky Mountain Element Tsc (kissing cousing to the Caballero) and have always loved the philosphy of that company....though Salsa folks kick @SS too.

My build is almost done!!

Cheers
    Just got my 16" Caballero last week, and have just ridden it once on dirt. I agree about the top tube being short (it was shorter than my 1998 16" Azonic KZ-1 HT XC frame), but combined with a 120mm stem I feel like I am "on top" of the bike...hard to explain but I find it easy to flick about and the Cab seems to react well to weight shifts (esp. in loose climbs). Still dialling in shock pressures, etc. May even get a flat bar soon. It was a BIG upgrade for me (from an old HT), and I am impressed with the ride so far.

good luck!

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by CabRider
    Just got my 16" Caballero last week, and have just ridden it once on dirt. I agree about the top tube being short (it was shorter than my 1998 16" Azonic KZ-1 HT XC frame), but combined with a 120mm stem I feel like I am "on top" of the bike...hard to explain but I find it easy to flick about and the Cab seems to react well to weight shifts (esp. in loose climbs). Still dialling in shock pressures, etc. May even get a flat bar soon. It was a BIG upgrade for me (from an old HT), and I am impressed with the ride so far.

good luck!
    Excellent!

Just got my Element built up last week and love it. I love the geometry as much as I had hope. I too put a 120mm stem on and it is perfect....i typically run a 110mm with Large frames.

Post some pics now!!!!

Cheers

luckiest of the unlucky
    I have a friend that bought one and ultimately decided to sell it because he did not like the geometry. He didn't care for the short toptube. That's not to say that you won't, though.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    absolutely, it is simply a matter of preference and if you do not like shorter top tubes, stay away from the Element and Caballero

Cheers

mtbr member

Good job! Get it

If you can find one (as the frame has been discontinued) get it! Money aside, the bike is a blast to ride. Scandium tubesets, flawless paint, and some of the absolute best people in the business! To solve the short top tube "dilemma" I installed a 130mm stem and Thomson layback post and have never felt more comfortable. Keep in mind that I am came off of a Fuel 98 and Epic Pro so this bike had some big shoes to fill.

Here is a link: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=53657

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.
    XC

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I had it for around 6 months I was happy with the ride. The Cab amazed me on how firm the suspension when you pedal while very active when you need it. Tweaking RS SID positive and negative pressure is what you need to do. Scandium and paint job was a big bonus for $$ as well.
    I'm short (5'3"with 29" inseam) so the small Cab top tube worked well for me with 100mm stem and stright seatpost. I got problem with the standover height though make me reconsider the relationship with Salsa. I would've said it will be ok for one with >31" inseam.

If your riding style and trail keep you away from emergency dismount, you will be happy with her.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado

Thanks...

Dec 2004
    hello again! as requested, here are some pics of my Cab- parts have been transplanted from my old reliable Azonic...so some items may be of pre Y2K vintage hehe:

2003 Marzocchi MX-Pro w/ ETA
    Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes
    Mavic Crosslink wheelset
    Shimano LX shifters and front derailleur
    Shimano XTR rear derailleur
    XTR 8sp cogset
    Truvative Firex crankset and BB
    Time Alium pedals
    Kore Elite stem and Go Fast XC riser (will be replaced by a Moto Ace soon)
    WTB headset, saddle, grips, Motoraptor Race tires
    generic seatpost! (will be replaced by a Salsa soon)

haven't weighed it yet (not much of a weight weenie), but it's a blast to ride!

my LBS said their next shipment of Caballero's will be in April 2005 - so i guess those will be the 2005 models?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CabRider; 12-23-2004 at 11:32 PM. Reason: fixed text

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    looks great! I love the color coordination for sure.

Cheers

Dec 2004
    thanks! am thinking of repainting/powder coating the MX PRO though...probably a bright orange...just to be different!

how's my Cab's kissing cousin the Element SC coming along?

mtbr member

Lbs

Cabrider- If your LBS is getting some more Caballeros then they probably picked up some of the remaining 2004s. Unfortunately Salsa discontinued the Caballero, and replaced it with another 4" bike called the El Santo. THe El Santo's suspension (from a quick glance) looks similar to that of of a Trek Fuel, or Turner Nitrous and uses a Manitou SPV rear shock. It still uses a complete Scandium tubeset and is coming in a beautiful white color with flames similar to the Caballero.
    XC

Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xctearor
    Cabrider- If your LBS is getting some more Caballeros then they probably picked up some of the remaining 2004s. Unfortunately Salsa discontinued the Caballero, and replaced it with another 4" bike called the El Santo. THe El Santo's suspension (from a quick glance) looks similar to that of of a Trek Fuel, or Turner Nitrous and uses a Manitou SPV rear shock. It still uses a complete Scandium tubeset and is coming in a beautiful white color with flames similar to the Caballero.
    XC
    Hi XC!

Now that is news! perhaps they meant the El Santo too...wonder why they discontinued tha Cab? (I don't mind, it gives us a bit of "exclusivity" hehe)...have you got a pic of the El Santo? With an SPV rear shock I guess it will be pricier than the Cab...wonder if the ride characteristics are similar?
    Last edited by CabRider; 12-24-2004 at 08:43 AM. Reason: corrections

mtbr member

A decent pic

Cabrider- I found this pic online, (I wish I had my 05 catalog with me) and should give you a good idea. The quality of Salsa's frames are remarkable even compared with some of the big name houses. My biggest gripe with my Fuel 98 was that the bushings started creaking after a very short period oftime. The El Santo (like the Cab) uses sealed cartridge bearings and with the SPV rear it should be another big seller for Salsa.
    Happy Holidays,
    XC

Hi XC!

Now that is news! perhaps they meant the El Santo too...wonder why they discontinued tha Cab? (I don't mind, it gives us a bit of "exclusivity" hehe)...have you got a pic of the El Santo? With an SPV rear shock I guess it will be pricier than the Cab...wonder if the ride characteristics are similar?

Dec 2004
    looks hot! am sure this will be a hit as well

I guess Salsa's strategy is to come out with a limited batch per color, per year, per frameset...I remember the 03 Cabs were black. I'll ask my LBS if indeed it is the El Santo that's coming in. Thanks for posting the pic as well

Here's to more riding and smiling in 2005!

Dec 2004
    hi xc

here are some links of the El Santo listed on Alfred E Bike

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FM1628

I find the listed weight of 1451g a bit optimistic...

Dec 2004
    El Santo photo

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    El Santo photo
    Whats the retail price on the frame?

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Whats the retail price on the frame?
    what.......I am now going to get a chance to tease you about changing your mind dont tell me you are questioning your Racer X idea

Fo' Bidniz in da haus

Kissing Cousin to Cab

thanks! am thinking of repainting/powder coating the MX PRO though...probably a bright orange...just to be different!

how's my Cab's kissing cousin the Element SC coming along?
    thanks for asking...it is done and I LOVE IT!!! I am so stoked on every single thing about this bike.

By the way, while I did color-coordinate this bike, I love the idea of making your fork "different"....my trailbike is very different looking and it is fun for sure.

Here are some pice of the KISSING COUSIN

Cheers

Dec 2004
    that's a sweet looking bike!

Happy New Year and here's to happy new trails in 2005!

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    that's a sweet looking bike!

Happy New Year and here's to happy new trails in 2005!
    thanks...Happy New Year to you too!

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2004

beautiful bikes!

Both the CAb and the Rocky are headturners! Good job.
    I will get some pictures of mine up eventually. I still need to get a fork. Why did you pick the forks you did and why do you like them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    thanks for asking...it is done and I LOVE IT!!! I am so stoked on every single thing about this bike.

By the way, while I did color-coordinate this bike, I love the idea of making your fork "different"....my trailbike is very different looking and it is fun for sure.

Here are some pice of the KISSING COUSIN

Cheers
    Let us know if you find much difference between Salsa and Rocky Mountain's implementation of the single pivot full suspension design. The pivot point looks about the same to me, but I haven't ridden 'em/.

Thanks,
    justen

Dec 2004
    hi bghtn

well my MX PRO was a carry over from my hardtail, but I based my fork choice on needing something dependable, low-maintenance and bomb-proof. Initially it was quite a harsh fork, but after a few rides it started to get more responsive. Now a year and a half later it feels much better. It is equipped with ETA which I seldom use (funny looking back I had a choice on getting a non-ETA one). Rebound is adjustable too but I tend to not fiddle with it too much. It is due for a check up/oil change at the LBS so I'll try to fine tune it some more to match the performance of the SID in the rear.

What forks are you looking at? Am sure there are some good deals out there on 04 models, as well as better 05 ones.

Dec 2004
    hi justen

I agree with you on how the linkages and rear suspension systems look similar- even FoShizzle says the bikes are related. I'd like to find out myself, but where I am from Rocky Mountains are quite hard to find (even more than Salsa's I think).

I think this sort of suspension design is oneof the more proven/mature ones- having been around for some time now. I remember John Tomac rode a yellow Giant with the same shock location, back when he was in his prime.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by bghtn
    Both the CAb and the Rocky are headturners! Good job.
    I will get some pictures of mine up eventually. I still need to get a fork. Why did you pick the forks you did and why do you like them?
    I actually traded in a Fox F80RLT at the last minute for the 2005 Marzocchi Marathon Race fork pictured.

I have had a Fox Float 100RLC and a Fox Talas, both of which simply did not live up to the hype for me.

In terms of the lovely yellow 2005 Marzocchi All Mountain 1, it is the best fork I have ever had. I have had a 2003 Z1 FR and a 2003 Z150 and the All Mountain fork feels as good as they did but has more features and a lighter weight of course. I could simply not believe how night and day the ride difference was between this and the Talas it replaced. The Talas felt like a toy in comparison, and not a very impressive one.

The All Mountain 1 fork is one of the reasons I swapped the F80RLT for the Marathon Race. Like the All Mountain fork, the Race has a TST cartridge which is awesome. I hate a bunch of bells and whistles on my forks (why I like Fox as well) but this TST knob makes a noticeable difference on the trail and is easy to use. One of the problems with Fox air forks (other than Talas which has the opposite problem by wallowing badly in its mid-travel) is that it is tough to set them up to get full travel without being too mushy. The last thing I want is an 80mm fork that does not get full travel.

The Race fork is awesome and even on my first attempt at the 3 air settings (positive, negative, and PAR) it is perfect!!! The thing is awesome at speed and is not a girly man fork like the SID. I ride very hard and this bike/fork is far exceeding what I expected from a 3" travel short XC rig.

I am simply not ever going to get other than Marz forks again. The only bad thing that can be said is their manual is lame...that is it.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2004

re: the fork issue

hi justen

I agree with you on how the linkages and rear suspension systems look similar- even FoShizzle says the bikes are related. I'd like to find out myself, but where I am from Rocky Mountains are quite hard to find (even more than Salsa's I think).

I think this sort of suspension design is oneof the more proven/mature ones- having been around for some time now. I remember John Tomac rode a yellow Giant with the same shock location, back when he was in his prime.
    I am so confused as to which fork to pick for my cab. I am riding a judy now so I think anything will be an upgrade. I think I am suffering from analysis paralysis. Anyway..my most recent thought is the Marzocchi Marathon SL 2004 model. It can be had for a little more than what I wanted to spend. Any more thoughts on a shock in the $350 range?

Dec 2004
    hi amigos!

Here's a thread that I started for us Cab riders...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=70392