Salsa Caballero- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa Caballero

Feb 2004

Salsa Caballero

Does anyone own one? Anyone ridden one?

They look like a great deal and I am familiar with Salsa's reputation (from years ago, befoe they resurfaced). Almost too good to be true.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by design721
    Does anyone own one? Anyone ridden one?

They look like a great deal and I am familiar with Salsa's reputation (from years ago, befoe they resurfaced). Almost too good to be true.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Never ridden one but they look awesome. 5ish lbs for a 4" travel frame with scandium tubing and all for $800ish. I think what turns most people away are the SID rear shocks but i say go demo one and see for yourself.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Never ridden one but they look awesome. 5ish lbs for a 4" travel frame with scandium tubing and all for $800ish. I think what turns most people away are the SID rear shocks but i say go demo one and see for yourself.

-TS

I can't find any dealers here in Denver. I tried a search on Salsa's site with no luck. I can't find any reviews of it, either. So the shock is cheap, eh? I'll look into that.

I am coming from riding a 12 year old Fat Chance, so I think anything will be a phenomenal improvement!

They do look pretty nice.

Any ideas how they compare to a Tracer or Truth? Besides maybe the craftmanship would be better on the others.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! my 2 cents

Not that its worth too much, but mountain bike action reviewed it a couple of months ago and really liked it, and had good things to say about the sid paired with the suspensions progresion saying that the matched well. The build qualities on the new salsa frames seems to be great, I believe they are built by kenisis, I have one of the cross frames and it put on an alignment table to check the build and eveything lined up strait. I have been very impressed with this bike so far.

mtbr member
    The only issue w/the Caballero (don't know on their other models) is its short top tube. Check their site for specs and compare. It was about 1.25 inches shorter than my current ride. My .02
    XC

gkd

Mar 2004

lots of shops can get this frame for you

Any bike shop who sources thier parts and supplies from QBP (Quality Bike Parts is a distributor to many shops across the nation) can hook you up with Salsa frames, parts, clothing, even complete bikes where YOU can PICK you group and all other components you want.

Feb 2004
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I was outbid on ebay.

In retrospect, I probably should have bid higher - it went for about $1350 with a good build and new.

Maybe next time.