salsa ala carte- Mtbr.com

Thread: salsa ala carte

Feb 2005

salsa ala carte

has anyone ridden/own one of these babies? i am looking to buy a new chromoly frame and this seems to be a pretty good choice. just wondering other people's ideas/ experiences/ thoughts about this frame. i am quite opposed to building anything but a chromoly bike(as i have 3 aluminum rides already). any help would be appreciated.
    thx

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ftownXC
    has anyone ridden/own one of these babies? i am looking to buy a new chromoly frame and this seems to be a pretty good choice. just wondering other people's ideas/ experiences/ thoughts about this frame. i am quite opposed to building anything but a chromoly bike(as i have 3 aluminum rides already). any help would be appreciated.
    thx
    While I might not be able to exactly speak as to the new ala carte, I have had my Salsa ala Carte since 1986. Yep, you read that correctly - almost 20 years. It's been a great bike and is still very trail worthy. The new bike with Reynolds 853 shouldn't be anything less than a great riding bike too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ftownXC
    thx
    I got one of the '04 frames a little while ago, a 21". I'm 6'2" tall, so most of my bikes are 21" frames. This one just seemed to be "bigger" than all of the other ones though. I got as far as mocking it up, installed headset, fork, cranks, wheels, seat & post, but that's as far as I got. The bike is just too big! I didn't have ANY standover clearance on it. I'm bummed, because I've always wanted an 853 steel hardtail, and they're a steal (steel ) through Quality.
    I do have a Soma Groove frame which is a Renyolds 631 steel frame, also in a 21" size, and that bike is AMAZING! Factor in the price (which is jaw-dropping for what you get, it's available through Merry Sales), the build quality is pretty damn great, nice colors (though the paint could be a little sturdier), and it rides really, really well, I'm pumped.
    Like you, I've been on aluminum bikes for years, well, carbon too, and not to mention the full suspension rigs.
    Anyway, I just wish I could have fit on that Salsa, but maybe look into the Soma too if you get a chance. Price is certainly sweet...

BN