Salsa Ala Carte- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa Ala Carte

Tom

Mar 2004

Salsa Ala Carte

Hey Folks,
    I'm looking at purchasing a Salsa Ala Carte frame to build a new ride for myself, and was looking for a little input. The reviews currently posted on this site don't seem to reflect the new frames; the latest review mentions the frame being built from columbus slx tubing, whereas the salsa Ala Carte Specs shows the frame as being built with the popular Reynolds 853. So does anyone have any experience with the newer Ala Carte frames? I'm mostly interested in this frame because I have an option to buy one for a good price.

I had considered purchasing a Jamis Dragon since the prices had been so low for some time, but those deals seems to have dried up as the stock of the older frames have been mostly liquidated it would seem.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? I'm mostly interested in steel hardtails, preferably one that has a derailleur hanger, as I'm not really ready to play with single speeding yet. My dream frame is an Independent Fabrication steel deluxe, but price is prohibitive there. I've been trolling ebay for about six months now, and figure I'm not really going to get a used one in good condition for less than around 450 dollars. (although a slightly beat up one went for 276 today on ebay.) I'd like to spend around 340 dollars for the frame.

jl
    climb
    Tom,

If you can find the extra $$ go for the IF. The deluxe is great. But there are still some other excellent steel bikes out there.

www.somafab.com
    www.gunnarbikes.com
    http://www.konaworld.com/kw_index.cfm (explosif)

And as you mentioned salsa.

If you want a bike that is being built by the original salsa builders then go here

www.soulcraftbikes.com
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Tom

Mar 2004
    jl,
    Thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware of Soma, their bikes are certainly interesting and quite affordable. I'll certainly go look for some reviews. Have you ridden a Soma?

I also didn't know that Kona had a steel hardtail, I'll have to look around to see if I can find just the frame, most of the places I've seen so far are only selling whole bikes.

I would really love to get an Independent Fabrication, but I am currently unemployed, and am borrowing some money just so I can get out and ride a bit. Someday though.