QBP - Prebuilt Surly hub/Salsa Delgado wheelset?- Mtbr.com
    Not because I'm fast.....

QBP - Prebuilt Surly hub/Salsa Delgado wheelset?

Anyone using the Quality Wheelhouse prebuilt Surly hub/700c Salsa Delgado wheels for your 29er or cyclocross bikes? If so, how are they? I am a bit of a self proclaimed wheel snob, but for the price these look like a good deal for a CX project I am working on.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    Anyone using the Quality Wheelhouse prebuilt Surly hub/700c Salsa Delgado wheels for your 29er or cyclocross bikes? If so, how are they? I am a bit of a self proclaimed wheel snob, but for the price these look like a good deal for a CX project I am working on.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
    How much are they? Link?
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    mine are holding up great.
    haven't touched a spoke wrench to them yet...
    got them last June and no problems so far.
    chris

N+1

heavy and solid

Have had mine for a couple years, with no issues - the surly hubs weigh a bit more than others, but the set is solid for the money. d
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member

I've had mine since last summer...

...on my then rigid and now suspended KM SS. Great value. I've got a CK bolt-on rear hub waiting to be mated to a Ryno but so for no complaints on this wheelset.

I too am a wheel snob but it's hard to beat the value. Also, I go 250# with gear so I put more stress on a wheel than the average bear and these have yet to need truing even after 3' drops to flat.

Sean
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member

Quality WheelHouse Wheels

I used to work for Quality WheelHouse for several years before I took a new job with Salsa. The WheelHouse crew is amazing crew that values quality above all else. The staff is filled with self proclaimed wheel snobs as well.

Of course, you'd probably expect that I would support them, but would I SPEND my own hard earned cash on them? Yes. I am using a custom set of XTR/Delgado Cross on my Dos Niner. Paid cash for someone else to build them. Also just bought a set of the Surly/Delgado wheels for my 2 speed Las Cruces. Haven't finished building it yet, but I can't wait.

Jason

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles
    I used to work for Quality WheelHouse for several years before I took a new job with Salsa. The WheelHouse crew is amazing crew that values quality above all else. The staff is filled with self proclaimed wheel snobs as well.

Of course, you'd probably expect that I would support them, but would I SPEND my own hard earned cash on them? Yes. I am using a custom set of XTR/Delgado Cross on my Dos Niner. Paid cash for someone else to build them. Also just bought a set of the Surly/Delgado wheels for my 2 speed Las Cruces. Haven't finished building it yet, but I can't wait.

Jason
    Jason, these are hand built, correct?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Based on other ex-QBPers...

...comments here in Mpls they are machine prepped and hand finished...sounds dirty.

Sean
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member

You're right Soupboy

A couple of years ago at Frostbike, they were showcasing their wheelbuilding machine. It laces wheels up amazingly fast. If I remember right, the machine just laces...doesn't bring them up to tension. That was done by hand by a fleet of wheelbuilders at truing stands. So I think the best of both worlds?

mtbr member

It's a combo

Here is the simplified version.

1) Spokes are filled in the hubs by hand.
    2) Wheel is laced on the lacing machine.
    3) Wheel is brought up to about 80% tension in a machine. WheelHouse programs the machine to stop there, because machines aren't that good after that. Machines can't loosen spokes/nipples, they can only tighten them and any good wheelbuilder knows the importance of having the ability to loosen nipples during the build process.
    4) Wheels are then hand finished, trued, tensioned, dished, stressed, etc.

Just a fun little fact, WheelHouse tolerances on their cheapest Alivio/Sun AT18 wheel are tighter than a certain C & M wheel brands.

Lastly, if you are still stuck on the prebuilt vs handbuilt issue, you can order the same wheel fully custom built to your specifications and they will build it 100% by hand and ship to them to your shop in 48 hours or less. How fast the shop gets them depends on there shipping request.

I'm off to Germany and London so if you've got more questions, I won't be checking the board until March 28th or so. See ya.

Jason

Not because I'm fast.....

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for all of the great feedback. It seems as though they are pretty solid wheels. Now, if they only sold the prebuilt set with a fixed/free rear hub.....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles
    Here is the simplified version.

1) Spokes are filled in the hubs by hand.
    2) Wheel is laced on the lacing machine.
    3) Wheel is brought up to about 80% tension in a machine. WheelHouse programs the machine to stop there, because machines aren't that good after that. Machines can't loosen spokes/nipples, they can only tighten them and any good wheelbuilder knows the importance of having the ability to loosen nipples during the build process.
    4) Wheels are then hand finished, trued, tensioned, dished, stressed, etc.

Just a fun little fact, WheelHouse tolerances on their cheapest Alivio/Sun AT18 wheel are tighter than a certain C & M wheel brands.

Lastly, if you are still stuck on the prebuilt vs handbuilt issue, you can order the same wheel fully custom built to your specifications and they will build it 100% by hand and ship to them to your shop in 48 hours or less. How fast the shop gets them depends on there shipping request.

I'm off to Germany and London so if you've got more questions, I won't be checking the board until March 28th or so. See ya.

Jason
    Thanks. I was thinking about the custom spec wheels. Heck, just spec a different spoke or nipple...
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have the Deore/Delgado/14g set. They're nice and tight and haven't required much truing. I also had a custom XT/CR18/Supercomp set from them that were terrible. The tension was very light, and after a lot of trouble, I had to back the spokes out and retension them completely. When I saw what a pain the twisty Supercomps were, I understood why the wheels were lousy to begin with. I'd buy another 14g wheel from them though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sorry to resurect such an old thread, but this is EXACTLY the wheel set I need. Can somone provide me a link to the QBP part or give me the part number? I had a set on my original 29er in 2002 and have just burned through another hub/wheel in less than 6 months of not super strenous activity. I long for 950 XTR. Yes I am a cranky old guy.

TIA
    John Voss
    [email protected]

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    first off, Quality Wheelhouse no longer exists, it's called Handspun now. second, it's been 5 years, they don't sell this wheel any more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    drat. guess its back to me haunting ebay....

mtbr member
    While no longer a stock option from QBP, you could still have Handspun build you one as all of the above parts individually are still available.

Bobby
    Salsa Cycles
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!