Pony Rustler questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Pony Rustler questions

1) Will there be a frame only option and in what color?
    2) What's the ETA? Do we feel they will continue to have delivery challenges?
    3) Any Bucksaw owners test ride the Pony, and if so, what were your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester7677 View Post
    1) Will there be a frame only option and in what color?
    2) What's the ETA? Do we feel they will continue to have delivery challenges?
    3) Any Bucksaw owners test ride the Pony, and if so, what were your thoughts?

1. Yes. Carbon, Khaki.
    2. January. Yes.
    3. Yes. Much livelier suspension feel. More playful. With the increased travel and lighter weight, the bike was easier to pop off trail features/get airborne. BS feels more XC, PR more AM.

It would be a welcome addition to the stable. Even though the Bucksaw isn't billed as a snow bike, I'll keep it and ride it in the post-holed snow conditions we have here for much of the winter. A bike like the PR would be a great summer all-rounder, from XC to bike park.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Pony Rustler questions

See, the delivery issues and the lack of being able to test ride an XL here in the North East before buying is really making me STRONGLY look at other makers than Salsa. Add to that, the colors aren't exciting at all.

I currently have a Bucksaw and Horsethief, but I'm not buying sight unseen again due to possible size issues.
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What else are you looking at?

I don't have any insider info on whether delivery will be delayed or not, just hazarding a guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Pony Rustler questions

No, I get it, just the process of buying the other two here in NH was a pain in the ass. I believe there are still issues with delivery times for the BS, so I'm not confident that I'll get to try a PR and buy the XL or L I may want in any reasonable timeframe. just don't see it unless I'm willing to buy sight unseen, which I won't do again being someone that falls on the line between the two sizes. I think there was one test ride in June of this year in the area and that would have meant delivery, when, about now when next years models are announced.

I'll look at 27.5+ across the board as they become avail in the area. Salsa around here seems to be an order first, try second item.

Last edited by Jester7677; 09-18-2015 at 11:58 AM.
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    See, the delivery issues and the lack of being able to test ride an XL here in the North East before buying is really making me STRONGLY look at other makers than Salsa. Add to that, the colors aren't exciting at all.

I currently have a Bucksaw and Horsethief, but I'm not buying sight unseen again due to possible size issues.
    What model year is your Horsethief? Does it have the Split Pivot suspension? The 2016 Pony Rustler and the Horsethief are the exact same frame with different build kits, wheel sizes and colors. The geometry of the Horsethief has not changed since they went to the Split Pivot suspension. You should be able to pick a size based off of how well your current Horsethief fits you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's a green HT 2, 2014. I'm probably going to sell it as I have a buyer.

The thought was then to get a dedicated 27.5+ like a PR GX or XO. But again, I need to try both sizes and since that will be an act of God, this may be where I part ways. I don't want to put 27.5+ wheels on the Bucksaw as I like 2 rides.

If I were a regional rep, I'd have a ton more demo days, that's for sure. Looks like the demo van driver lives in the Midwest for sure...

'16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's a green HT 2, 2014. I'm probably going to sell it as I have a buyer.

The thought was then to get a dedicated 27.5+ like a PR GX or XO. But again, I need to try both sizes and since that will be an act of God, this may be where I part ways.
    Is there something about the fit of your current HT 2 that you don't like? The Pony Rustler has the exact same geometry so it will fit the same as what you already have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I have both larges in both models and 'think' I need XL, but can't be 100% until I try. I manage, but life might be more comfortable going XL.

'16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, I have both larges in both models and 'think' I need XL, but can't be 100% until I try. I manage, but life might be more comfortable going XL.
    You could always try finding a shop or a current owner nearby that has an XL Horsethief that would let you swing a leg over it. My point is that you don't have to wait for the Pony Rustler to be available to figure out the sizing issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No, good point, I'll ask around.
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon X01

mtbr member
    The real question is why the hell would they name it the Pony Rustler...smh
    Quote Originally Posted by WA-CO View Post
    If you bash it, what do you do? Walk? Don't be a puss. Get back up there and try again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm still relatively new to getting back in to biking, but I had a chance to test both the Carbon Salsa Bucksaw and a Carbon PR. I rode the Bucksaw throughout the morning on a trail near Tucson called Bug Springs. Loved it, but it seemed to want to track right in to any wash outs on the trails. Switched to the PR in the afternoon, but only at the end of the day and only for one ride.

I absolutely loved it. Climbed almost as well as the Bucksaw (maybe I was just tired after riding all day) and felt much more nimble. The suspension, grip, fun factor...all of it was there. It was the most requested demo bike of the day and I was lucky to get it at the end.

I really enjoyed the Bucksaw, but the PR really put it to 11 for me. Such a great ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shawneeboy View Post
    Yeah it's not an exciting name, but none of the Salsa bikes are. However the reason WHY they named it what they did should be obvious: A horse thief and a pony rustler are essentially the same thing, and the HT and PR frame are exactly the same frame.
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    We just got our first PR frame built up as demo at the shop I work at in PA. I already got to ride this at a dealer event. Great bike. The green x1 PR is going to be rad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Bought a large PR GX1 last Saturday on accident. My LBS got 2 of them in. One medium and one large. I understand they are sold out worldwide already. I stopped by with the intention of buying a Trek Stache 29+ and happened to catch the med PR half assembled on a stand in the back. The large was still in the box. After much contemplation and a few beers I told them if we could assemble it right then so I could test ride it I'd buy it unless I hated the test ride.
    Long story short, I think it's my favorite bike in the stable right now. We have a ton of snow here in MT so the trails are mostly fatbike only but I can't wait to get this thing on dirt. I've already put about 50 miles on it just cruising around town running over stuff and jumping off stairs. Ordered a stealth Reverb dropper for it and converted the tires to tubeless. (the wheel/tire combo is already setup for it, just yanked the tubes and added valve stems and Stan's sealant)

It's my first full squish bike...but after visiting Fox's website and setting up the suspension baseline for my weight I'm in love with biking all over again. It makes me giggle every minute I'm on it.
    It was 31lbs with tubes in it, comes in at a couple ounces under 30lbs without tubes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fatkidonabike View Post
    Bought a large PR GX1 last Saturday on accident. My LBS got 2 of them in. One medium and one large. I understand they are sold out worldwide already. I stopped by with the intention of buying a Trek Stache 29+ and happened to catch the med PR half assembled on a stand in the back. The large was still in the box. After much contemplation and a few beers I told them if we could assemble it right then so I could test ride it I'd buy it unless I hated the test ride.
    Long story short, I think it's my favorite bike in the stable right now. We have a ton of snow here in MT so the trails are mostly fatbike only but I can't wait to get this thing on dirt. I've already put about 50 miles on it just cruising around town running over stuff and jumping off stairs. Ordered a stealth Reverb dropper for it and converted the tires to tubeless. (the wheel/tire combo is already setup for it, just yanked the tubes and added valve stems and Stan's sealant)

It's my first full squish bike...but after visiting Fox's website and setting up the suspension baseline for my weight I'm in love with biking all over again. It makes me giggle every minute I'm on it.
    It was 31lbs with tubes in it, comes in at a couple ounces under 30lbs without tubes.
    nice man! glad to hear you like it. i have a med frame i am building up for my wife. we did a 27.5+ on the bucksaw alum and it worked pretty well but it was super low. i think this bike will be perfect. we like the name and color combo but i guess different stokes for different folks. just waiting on boost hubs so i can get the wheels built up. i'll post some pics when we have it done, probably a week or so. shooting for about 30lbs also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Heres a pic of the HT built in PR 27.5+

here you go: I got the last HT in Med Salsa had.. I ordered a PR back in December and waited.. and waited.. until my shop called and says they are sold out for the year!! So they found me a HT.. and threw on a set of 27.5+ wheels.. Now I have both sets of wheels!! Pony Rustler questions-ht-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HTJEM View Post
    ... I ordered a PR back in December and waited.. and waited.. until my shop called and says they are sold out for the year!! So they found me a HT.. and threw on a set of 27.5+ wheels.. Now I have both sets of wheels!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HT 3.jpg 
Views:	703 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	1056885
    Glad the shop hooked you up! Complete BS that Salsa did that though. Does help make my decision to go with another brand though. Heard too many similar stories....
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower LT : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks good! 1st black carbon I've seen other than the website. I like how the HT and PR are versatile frames to accommodate both wheel sizes. Kinda wish my '15 HT could do that. Mid-fat tires would be nice for late fall/winter/spring rides.

Go rail on it and give a ride report!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by shawneeboy View Post
    It gets overlooked a lot but they changed the name to Donkey Toucher. Not saying where they touched the Donkey but you can tell by the look in his eyes he liked it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    Looks good! 1st black carbon I've seen other than the website. I like how the HT and PR are versatile frames to accommodate both wheel sizes. Kinda wish my '15 HT could do that. Mid-fat tires would be nice for late fall/winter/spring rides.

Go rail on it and give a ride report!
    I will give a full ride report when I get back from Sedona with it! ive only had it out for a 25 miles here in VT.. So far it climbs like a mountain goat and rides like a dream!

rth009
    May 2010
    Mister would you please [rustle] my pony . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc9mECebRxc

mtbr member
    I feel like the front end lifts too much when I'm struggling on steep climbs.
    Anyone else feel this way?
    5'10" 32ish inseam on a medium frame. My last couple of bikes have been large frames,
    I can usually make either size work. Wondering if the smaller frame is giving me this light front end feeling? Or the fact that I have max seatpost showing, making the seat
    kinda far back, due to the slack seat post angle?
    I ran a 140 fork on my Fuse, so I dont think its the length of the fork. Stem is stock 70.
    On the other hand, I like how the front end pops for manuals and wheelie drops.
    Anybody got good settings for the suspension?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay View Post
    I feel like the front end lifts too much when I'm struggling on steep climbs.
    Anyone else feel this way?
    5'10" 32ish inseam on a medium frame. My last couple of bikes have been large frames,
    I can usually make either size work. Wondering if the smaller frame is giving me this light front end feeling? Or the fact that I have max seatpost showing, making the seat
    kinda far back, due to the slack seat post angle?
    I ran a 140 fork on my Fuse, so I dont think its the length of the fork. Stem is stock 70.
    On the other hand, I like how the front end pops for manuals and wheelie drops.
    Anybody got good settings for the suspension?
    Im running a large and Im 6'2''with a 34 inseam. 60mm stem, 740mm bars and LOVE the setup. Amazing in steep uphill switchbacks, no issues with climbing whatsoever and I can manual and throw the whole front end over on tbe uphill twisties. Downhill, this bike is a revolution for me, so stable and plush.

Suspension - I run a 120mm pike, 70psi. Rear shock (fox kashima factory ctd) my riding weight + 5psi = 200psi,run mostly is open mode and use 100% of the travel.

mtbr member
    Slammed my seat fwd and rotated the bars slightly up/fwd. helped a lot on the climbs.
    Did you mark your rear shock at full travel? How do you know you're getting 100%?
    Waited one ride too long to convert to tubeless. Smacked a big rock with the back tire
    and pinch flatted. Tubes are really thick and weight is 1 pound!
    I may have cut the tire at the bead also. Stans was leaking at that same spot, but its good for now. Which leads me to believe I would have had a problem with that rock even if I was tubeless. And now I wonder how strong the tire sidewalls are and if the Scrapers are too thin/sharp at the bead area?
    I was think I was at 15-17psi, but I havent found a really accurate presta gauge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I was think I was at 15-17psi, but I havent found a really accurate presta gauge.
    Time to invest in a $1 presta-schraeder adapter.

mtbr member
    Ok, then suggest an accurate low psi schraeder gauge?
    I have a low psi dial gauge that is consistently 3 psi lower than my two digital gauges.
    Have no idea which gauge is correct.

rth009
    May 2010
    Ok, then suggest an accurate low psi schraeder gauge?
    I have a low psi dial gauge that is consistently 3 psi lower than my two digital gauges.
    Have no idea which gauge is correct.
    I am convinced there is no such thing as an accurate PSI gauge, meaning within 3 psi.. I have a gauge on my prestaflator, a floor pump with gauge, one of the topeak digital gauge, and the analog mesiner accugauge and none of them are consistent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Pressure is a relatively easy measurement. In general, whichever gauge has it's mid (to upper)-range nearest your desired pressure will be the most accurate. Caveats to consider:

• The low end of the range is more likely to be off than the upper end. Hopefully, this will be apparent in the markings on the gauge. For example, there are 0 to 40 psi automotive gauges that skip over 0-10 psi, because they aren't accurate at that bottom end.

• Dial gauges are more accurate than the auto tire gauges that force a stick out the end, because the dial spring is less prone to getting messed-up. I'm sure there are good digital gauges, but I can't tell from looking at them, so I prefer the tried-and-true dial gauges.

• On that note, I don't trust plastic things as much as solid state metal gauges. It might only be the perception of quality. It's probably fine to skimp on the cost of the housing on a low-pressure gauge, but companies that don't skimp on the housing are unlikely to skimp on the internals.

Depending on the ranges of your pressure other gauges, the low psi gauge might be your best bet for accuracy, but note that in reality, you only need precision. The pressure you want is the one that performs best on the trail. You want a gauge for which the readings are close enough to the center of its range of pressures that it will tell you whether your are a pound (or half psi) high or low from your desired pressure. That way you can dial things in from one day's settings to the next.

mtbr member
    Tires went tubeless without a hitch. Climbs better now....ha ha.

I also put more air in the shock, less sag probably does make it climb better.

Thanks for the gauge info. I tend to agree with 009 about gauges tho. Repeat ability is all I can hope for.

mtbr member
    Paint chipped already....

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Paint chipped already....
    Did the paint just magically fall off or did you hit something? I had a little paint chipping on the bottom bracket shell when I dropped my chain but I acknowledge that it's a mountain bike and that it is my fault

mtbr member
    Hard to say.... hope it wasnt magic.

Chipped the top of the seatstay. Tire probably carried a rock up and over.
    But its not a normal place IMHO to get chips. Hate to see what will happen on
    more normal wear areas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The last couple of carbon bikes that I have owned the first thing I did was to clean them totally and wrap the seat stays down tube and back of the seat tube with one layer of clear Gorilla Tape. It weighs nothing, is basically invisible hand, costs pennies and removes with no residue. You can remove/replace it a couple times a year if you'd like and your bike will stay looking brand new. Oh, I also put it on the frame where cables, tires and shoes might rub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Those with the Pony Rustler, what is the weight and size. What is the heavier spec on the bike that could be trimmed down? I see 31lb Larges quoted. I like the idea of this bike as an Endurance Racer for rough trails, but not if I can't get it down to 27 or below for a large.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Simple, just take the wheels off and the bike will below the requested weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Simple, just take the wheels off and the bike will below the requested weight.
    As a point of reference I have the 29r bike in large. XT one by ten drivetrain, Pike, fairly Burly 800 gram tires, hope hubs WTB Kom rims, no dropper, carbon bars and my bike weighs 28 pounds even.

I'm sure you could get to 27 pounds with carbon cranks and wimpy tires. I prefer the durability of the extra 400 grams personally.
    Last edited by Back2MTB; 04-29-2016 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Those with the Pony Rustler, what is the weight and size. What is the heavier spec on the bike that could be trimmed down? I see 31lb Larges quoted. I like the idea of this bike as an Endurance Racer for rough trails, but not if I can't get it down to 27 or below for a large.

Thoughts?
    I'm in the process of building one up, I'll let you know what the weight ends up being.

mtbr member
    28lbs as a 29er with dropper, heavier pedals and desert-trail worthy tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Salsa Horsethief
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Roval Traverse SL 38's will save you a good 500-600g right off the bat. Switch out the GX cassette for an XO1 - 1195 and you're looking at just shy of 2 lbs of rolling resistance
    just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    Roval Traverse SL 38's will save you a good 500-600g right off the bat. Switch out the GX cassette for an XO1 - 1195 and you're looking at just shy of 2 lbs of rolling resistance
    Or keep the stock Scrapers for your plus setup, which are solid if a bit heavy, and get the Roval Traverse Fattie SL 29er wheels for when you want a racer rather than a tractor. That change plus the tires will save you over two pounds of rotational weight.

Getting down below 27 pounds will still require more carbon. Cranks, bars, and frame, and you would likely be below that, but perhaps not as a plus bike without upgrading more components, foregoing a dropper, or running flimsy tires. You could get quite close though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mine L ended up 29.8lbs with velocity duallys laced to hope pro 2 with bomboloni 3.0's on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Am I reading correctly that the Pony Rustler and the Horsethief are the exact same frame/geometry?

I ask because I saw a reader comment on a PR review (Salsa Pony Rustler Review, Dumb Down - BIKEPACKING.com) that stated since the PR was sold out that he got the Horsethief with 29er and 27.5+ wheelsets. They seem to indicate you get both wheelsets at one price. Hmmmm.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Am I reading correctly that the Pony Rustler and the Horsethief are the exact same frame/geometry?

I ask because I saw a reader comment on a PR review (Salsa Pony Rustler Review, Dumb Down - BIKEPACKING.com) that stated since the PR was sold out that he got the Horsethief with 29er and 27.5+ wheelsets. They seem to indicate you get both wheelsets at one price. Hmmmm.....
    They are the exact same frame. Not sure about the two wheelset situation, but the only difference between frames is how they paint them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone know if the 2016 PR/HT frame can really take 29+ wheels? There is a guy selling one on eBay right now with 3 wheelsets.

He claims to be using a 29x3.0 Fat B Nimble on Rabbit Hole rims in the rear. Does this frame really work as a FS 29+ platform?

Thanks!

rth009
    May 2010
    I saw that bike posted on ebay. Might be a good deal if you're looking for a small.

Regardless, I have a hard time believing a 29+ would fit in the rear and I think he said it was a "tight fit." Even if it did "fit," the 29+ tires are so tall it would really raise the bottom bracket. I was told by one of the Salsa people in another thread on here re: horsethief/PR that a 29 x 2.5 tire (such as Maxxis Minion) is not recommended for the 2016 models because it is designed for a 29 x 2.4 tire max.