Pony Rustler Alloy GX1 vs Carbon GX1- Mtbr.com
    Death Mud
    Feb 2011

Pony Rustler Alloy GX1 vs Carbon GX1

I've got an option to purchase either one of these with the price difference being $400. Both are new, direct from a dealer. Any feedback on whether it's worth it? I have a dropper post I can switch from my old bike, so that's not an issue. Main difference would be frame material and the forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I canít speak directly to the differences, as I havenít ridden both. I have the carbon gx1 and love it. No problems with ~300 miles on it. Youtuber The Mind Divided apparently had substantial problems with his, got it stolen, and replaced it with a fuel ex 8. I donít know if his issues were the shop he got it from or if he somehow had a Lemon. You might look up his channel for videos about it. There are a handful of other youtubers with reviews of the, as well, Jason Barcoff is one and of course there is the Bible of bike test which reviewed the first iteration of the bike quite satisfactorily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    Yep, I've checked the Bible of Bikes video, and that's part of what got me interested...and Jason Barcoff mentions the kind of tails he rides he does and how the PR is perfect for them, and it sounds just like my typical ride. Reviews are generally pretty good for the PR, but they seem to almost all be for the carbon. Only reason I'm even wavering is that the alloy is just about the limit of what I really want to spend....but if the carbon brings enough advantages over the alloy, I could dig a little deeper in the couch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Check The Mind Divided. He is the only alloy PR Iíve seen any coverage of. Again, he didnít have great luck with his, but it wasnít because it was alloy, I suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Spring for the carbon. Lighter, stiffer, and less harsh/more vibration dampening. Without looking, I'm guessing the carbon frame gets a better fork as you mentioned, 32mm to 34mm? Revolution to a Pike I'm guessing. Fork improvement by itself almost warrants the $ increase. 34mm stanchions make a difference. Allow you to point and shoot where you want to go versus getting deflected around with the 32mm fork.

I've got a carbon PR, built up custom with all the parts carried over from a Horsethief warranty frame replacement custom build. Because of this it's in 29er mode, so can't comment on the + size wheel thing.

If you want more info/opinions, feel free to PM me.

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    I ended up going with the alloy frame, but w1's points are good ones. I figured the $400 in savings can go towards a set of decent 29er wheels. The weight of both bikes are within 3/4 of a pound, which is close enough, especially with me and gear, to be negligible. Plus, I'll probably be shipping the bike for trips on occasion, and I'll feel better about the risk of damage with an alloy frame, instead of a carbon. Regardless, there's no wrong answer!